Official 2011-12 NFL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Soodmeg']I dont understand why the refs blow everything dead instantly. Why dont you let it run out and then reverse it if its wrong on replay. I hate the gmen but they just got robbed.[/QUOTE]

The kicking team can't advance a muffed punt in the NFL. What's amazing is how many NFL special teamers don't seem to know that.

They'll win the challenge and get the ball at the spot.

WHAT A SHITTY fuckING CALL. God damn it stop fucking calling plays dead so quickly. Forward progress is one of the worst rulings in the NFL they seemingly almost always get it wrong. They are big boys let them actually get tackled if they dont want to get tackled they can always just dive to the ground.

Such a good set of games, and both were defense heavy. What ADD Americans dont get is its the anticipation of scoring that leads to excitement (same with soccer which is my first love) not actually scoring. It loses its appeal when 56 points is the average.

My respect level for Eli just went up a lot on that play. He saw the 3 defensive players coming at him but he stayed up and waited till the last possible second for Bradshaw to be in position to catch the ball and ended up getting absolutely creamed because of it.

[quote name='Soodmeg']WHAT A SHITTY fuckING CALL. God damn it stop fucking calling plays dead so quickly. Forward progress is one of the worst rulings in the NFL they seemingly almost always get it wrong. They are big boys let them actually get tackled if they dont want to get tackled they can always just dive to the ground.[/QUOTE]

If forward progress wasn't so subjective to the will of the ref calling it I would agree with it but there's just way too much discretion for the refs in calling it, or waiting forever to call it.

49ers....that was crap. Its like you had no clue what you wanted to do in that situation. Horrid play calling. You almost could have ran a couple draws, screens, or quick slants and at least gave Ackers a chance. Gmen with 2 huge lucky breaks.

That shit kick return where he clearly touched it and then stood there....hey if you are not going to catch it get as far away as you can. Then that super quick call on the fumble that was apparently forward progress. Does that mean if a guy jukes backward and fumbles its marked forward progression? No its not.

Wouldn't shock me to see this game go to a 2nd OT before someone can score.

Edit: Or not... Guess we needed a goat in each game, huh?

Holding it like a loaf of bread. What a bum. Although they 49ers need to score and covert a damn 3rd down.

Also, even I have to give Eli some props this guy has been getting killed all day and still hanging tough.

These new rules suck just as much as the old ones, if theyre not gonna just adopt playing till the last second then don't bother changing the rules in the first place.

lol @ the superbowl being between 2 teams that got extremely lucky

I am so confused, I thought you couldnt win off a FG but they clearly did? Waa the shit is going on with this? Horrid, just make the qrt 7 min and play to the last damn second.

Great year for the 49ers, it sucks yes. Knowing Kyle Williams won't have a job with the 49ers next season is good to know. I'm sure he'll get death threats and all of that now though, which will be pretty crappy.

Edit: I don't think anyone could win with the 49ers 3rd down conversion rate.

[quote name='Soodmeg']I am so confused, I thought you couldnt win off a FG but they clearly did? Waa the shit is going on with this? Horrid, just make the qrt 7 min and play to the last damn second.[/QUOTE]

Its the half assed attempt to have new rules but as ass backwards as the Nfl is im not surprised.

Don't know whats so hard about making the new rules extend to the entire overtime. Td still wins but fgs still gives other team a chance but if they fail then game over.

Thinking the Giants got lucky is just being in denial.

The 49ers were 1 for 13 on third down and had two turnovers on special teams.

Great defense means nothing if you don't play well during the other phases of the game.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']Williams has the yips. The 49ers need a new return man tonight.[/QUOTE]

Too bad they didn't listen to you. And great for me as a Giants fan :bouncy:

Giants are the first ever team to make the Super Bowl after being outscored in the regular season.

This matchup terrifies me, I don't see any way the Patriots can defend the Giants' passing attack, so if they're going to win it will need to be a shootout.

I never get the whole lucky thing, if a team wins, they win. Sports is a thing that takes both luck and skill. So if ANY team wins there's going to be luck involved. I'm a 49ers fan and I even felt the 49ers didn't play well enough to win, that 3rd down conversion rate and the play calling in the last parts of the game were pretty bad.

[quote name='bvharris']Giants are the first ever team to make the Super Bowl after being outscored in the regular season.

This matchup terrifies me, I don't see any way the Patriots can defend the Giants' passing attack, so if they're going to win it will need to be a shootout.[/QUOTE]

Which the pats will lose since the giants actually have a good defense. ;)

[quote name='gbpackers94']Which the pats will lose since the giants actually have a good defense. ;)[/QUOTE]

The Giants defense was bad in the regular season and is playing much better now. Couldn't you say the exact same thing about the Patriots defense? :whistle2:s

Yay, another Giants/Pats Super Bowl just 5 years later. Then again, maybe they can manage to put together another amazing finish. Of all the possible Super Bowl matchups, even as the playoffs started, I wouldn't have guessed this would be the one we'd have. In fact, I'm still surprised a team that just barely made the playoffs in the NFC is once again going to the Super Bowl. I'm convinced that as far as the NFC side of the equation goes, it's better to be 4-6 seed than 1 or 2.

[quote name='bvharris']The Giants defense was bad in the regular season and is playing much better now. Couldn't you say the exact same thing about the Patriots defense? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

I suppose, but I'd rather just post this picture of Tom Brady holding a goat.
tom+brady+goat.jpg

Let's see. Matt Birk was center for Vikings when Gary Anderson missed the last kick in the NFC Championship game after the '98 season. And now he was center for Ravens in this NFC Championship game where Billy Cundiff missed the last kick. Lesson here? He should have learned to kick at Harvard. :D

[quote name='gbpackers94']I suppose, but I'd rather just post this picture of Tom Brady holding a goat.
tom+brady+goat.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I like this one better:

Tom-Brady-waterslide.jpg

[quote name='Nogib']Let's see. Matt Birk was center for Vikings when Gary Anderson missed the last kick in the NFC Championship game after the '98 season. And now he was center for Ravens in this NFC Championship game where Billy Cundiff missed the last kick. Lesson here? He should have learned to kick at Harvard. :D[/QUOTE]

God damn it, fucking Gary Anderson...

[quote name='Nogib']Let's see. Matt Birk was center for Vikings when Gary Anderson missed the last kick in the NFC Championship game after the '98 season. And now he was center for Ravens in this NFC Championship game where Billy Cundiff missed the last kick. Lesson here? He should have learned to kick at Harvard. :D[/QUOTE]

He wasn't the FG long snapper for either of those teams though.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'm starting to feel bad for Kyle Williams.[/QUOTE]

I don't. If he somehow died tonight I wouldn't care.

Forget about the Ravens missing that kick for a second. They had the win with that pass two plays before, and the Patriots season came down to Sterling Moore making a great play to get them into the Super Bowl. Street free agent.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']The joke's on you. Colts fans stopped caring by October. To them, there was no season this year. :lol:[/QUOTE]

This x1000. And yeah, it was suck for luck all the time this year. We just pretend this year didn't really happen.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't. If he somehow died tonight I wouldn't care.[/QUOTE]

Damn man, as a Bay Area native I'm disappointed the season is over on a sour note as well, but fuck... The defense is solid and the offense, while lacking, has shown improvement. Under a coach like Harbaugh, I can't imagine this as being the one and only chance at winning it. Be glad the team made it so far after years of ranging from mediocrity and outright sucking.

[quote name='ced']Damn man, as a Bay Area native I'm disappointed the season is over on a sour note as well, but fuck... The defense is solid and the offense, while lacking, has shown improvement. Under a coach like Harbaugh, I can't imagine this as being the one and only chance at winning it. Be glad the team made it so far after years of ranging from mediocrity and outright sucking.[/QUOTE]

Niner fan here too. It sucks this had to end this way, but I am proud of what the Niners did this year. Went from many losing seasons to a big turnaround from a rookie coach Harbaugh. If Ginn wasn't hurt, this would have never happened. Sucks to be Kyle Williams right now. Overall just glad we had a great season and look forward to many years ahead. We need a go to receiver for Smith other than Crabtree and Davis too.

[quote name='DestroVega']I don't. If he somehow died tonight I wouldn't care.[/QUOTE]

That's a bit too far. The niners offense should share some of the blame for the poor performance. Putting it all on him is a bit much

[quote name='Beatofficer']I never get the whole lucky thing, if a team wins, they win. Sports is a thing that takes both luck and skill. So if ANY team wins there's going to be luck involved. I'm a 49ers fan and I even felt the 49ers didn't play well enough to win, that 3rd down conversion rate and the play calling in the last parts of the game were pretty bad.[/QUOTE]

For sure, the special teams coaching lost the game more than any one player. When you have a guy having such a shaky game you need to make a change (even if you're scrapping your depth chart). Williams ended up with 2 turnovers on special teams and a fumble that was (luckily) recovered. It was obvious on multiple kickoffs/punts that Williams didn't have confidence, that's when the blame shifts from the player to the coach.

It's a shame, but the 49ers had a fantastic season and exceeded all of our fans expectations. This will be the first offseason in a decade that the 49ers fans can walk away with a positive outlook. I can't wait for next season.

Also, Go Pats!

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back