Official Afrika Thread - Out Now in North America

So I wonder what the heck happened to National Geographic Games? This was supposed to be their flagship for launching the brand. Guess they dropped the ball.

They have and are still publishing other games I thought.
I read somewhere else recently that the early Afrika blurb was an error.

[quote name='guyjr']tho this is sort of kind of starting to take a slight turn in the direction of vaporware. [/QUOTE]

Umm, I own a copy of this game right now, albeit the Asia region version.

Vaporware usually is not released in any form.

[quote name='dallow']I read somewhere else recently that the early Afrika blurb was an error.[/QUOTE]

It was mentioned in an official National Geographic Games press release. Couldn't have been a mere error.

I wonder why they dropped it...guess we'll nevar know. Their loss is Natsume's gain, though.

I was thinking about ordering this game but I have a question to anyone that has it. Is the AI scripted? Thanks in advance...

Oh wow. Thanks Richlough!
Did you notice this yourself? There's been no news anywhere about this and all of a sudden it's in an ad and due in less than a month.

Man, I've been wondering what happened, I even emailed Natsume to no reply asking what was going on with this.

I even have a sealed copy of Hakuna Matata that I picked up for $30. A week before Natsume announced their plans.
Still not sure what to do with it, but might as well sell it now. Still the novelty of it is nice.

Anyone know if the US version is going to have the option for inverted camera? I've been trying to play the import version but get frustrated with the "normal" camera haha.
If that's the case I guess I will sell my import copy and get the US version (unless any of you guys know if the import version will get a patch for that too).

I don't think Natsume detailed anything beyond the announcement about them getting the rights to the game. There's new boxart on Gamefly for Dallow to admire:

139755p.jpg

It has gone gold in the US.

AFRIKA FOR PLAYSTATION 3 GOES GOLD

Natsume To Bring Visually Stunning Safari Experience To Retail October
6th

Burlingame, Calif., September 17, 2009 - Natsume Inc., a worldwide
developer and publisher of family-oriented video games, today
announced that Afrika for the PLAYSTATION 3 computer entertainment
system has gone gold. Natsume's first title for the PLAYSTATION 3,
Afrika is a wildlife photography adventure set in a lush, unexplored
region of Africa. The game will be available at an MSRP of $49.99 and
is rated E for Everyone by the ESRB.

"We are thrilled about Afrika's upcoming release in North America. And
it's certainly been a pleasure working with Sony Computer
Entertainment Worldwide Studios on the project," said Hiro Maekawa,
President and CEO of Natsume. "Afrika is a truly unique gaming
experience. Anyone can pick it up and enjoy its beauty, but it has
enough depth and challenge to satisfy even the most hardcore players."

In Afrika, players step into the role of a freelance photographer
exploring a brand new African wildlife conservation area. They'll
document the wildlife and photograph incredible sights such as a
titanic clash between hippopotamuses, a pride of lions watching over
its playful cubs, and a cheetah's lightning-fast chase as it runs down
its prey! All of the game's animals and environments are rendered in
photorealistic detail with animals that move, behave, and interact
with each other just like their real-world counterparts. Produced in
cooperation with National Geographic, Afrika features a wealth of
information about each of its animals, including footage and
photographs from the magazine.

The photography in the game is as meticulously modeled as the animals
themselves; players will need to learn from the game's innovative
photo grading system and compose their photographs with the eye of a
professional photographer if they want to earn top dollar. The money
they earn can be used to purchase new licensed lenses, cameras, and
safari equipment. If players are good enough, they just might find
their photograph on the cover of National Geographic!

With more than 70 animals to find, over 100 missions to complete, and
endless replayability, Afrika offers the safari experience of a
lifetime!

For more information, please visit www.natsume.com.

Comes out tomorrow, anyone else interested in playing this? I really want to find a good deal on it, despite mixed reviews form the JP version.

[quote name='fizzywix']Comes out tomorrow, anyone else interested in playing this? I really want to find a good deal on it, despite mixed reviews form the JP version.[/QUOTE]

If you get it can you post if they added in invert camera?
I play all my games inverted, and the import version does not have it at all, so I quit playing out of frustration. I will get the US version if they patched it in.

Amazon made their price $10 more than MSRP for some reason.
They don't have any instock online either now.

Would have ordered it if it was the correct price.
I'll probably pick this up at the TRU sale.

B- from 1up.

Don't go by that absolute shit review by IGN. They got a moron who only likes to shoot and kill things to review Afrika. fucking pathetic.

[quote name='whoknows']Damn.

I still sorta want it though. Anyone play it yet?[/QUOTE]

N.A. release Afrika? No.

Korean release Hakuna Matata? Yes.

It reminds me of a free roam Pokemon Snap.

[quote name='dallow']B- from 1up.

Don't go by that absolute shit review by IGN. They got a moron who only likes to shoot and kill things to review Afrika. fucking pathetic.[/QUOTE]

Ars Technica had the game as their pick of the week, even over Operation Flashpoint, Demon Souls and the latest round of NBA games.

That said, I personally didn't like the title as much as Aquanauts or Pokemon Snap...it is a niche title, but rest assured if you make the decision to buy this game, you will not be dissappointed. It is everything it claims to be.

[quote name='primetime']Yeah, but this is rumored to be the rarest find in the game

getty_bush_dance405x291.jpg
[/QUOTE]

he was so high

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/afrika/trophies/

Just got this from Gamefly and checked out the trophies to find out only three of them aren't secret, which is funny. It's also doing an install at the beginning, so I'll have to see how big that is.

Edit: The install is 2344 MB and a save takes up 387 MB.[/QUOTE]

Frisky,

Since you have the US version can you confirm or deny if they added the option for Invert Y axis option for the camera?
I have the Korean version and I stopped playing it due to getting frustrated with the "normal" camera view.

Thanks

[quote name='Sinistar']Frisky,

Since you have the US version can you confirm or deny if they added the option for Invert Y axis option for the camera?
I have the Korean version and I stopped playing it due to getting frustrated with the "normal" camera view.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Just now got back to playing this since I first posted about it. If you mean you want the camera to move up when you push up and down when you push down, then that's the default and only option here.

Had a weird glitch that made the game unplayable until restarted the PS3, which kind of froze the game whenever I got out of the car, the sky would turn dark instantly, and I couldn't move. I could pull up the triangle menu, but that was all I could do.

Ahh thanks for the info Frisky.
I mean a camera option when you push up, camera looks down and you push down, camera looks up. But it sounds like The US version they did not add that option, either.
Is it true on the US version they removed the online portion (where you share photos)
I was considering getting the US version if they had an option to invert the camera, but sadly, this does not look like it's the case.
Anyone know if they added trophies for the import version?

I don't get why this game is so awkardly hard to find. It's sold virtually only at gamestop and amazon, which is fine I use both of those stores frequently. But because of this I wasnt able to include it B2G1's at TRU or Best Buy. And I still have yet to see it at any B&M store other than GameStop. I wish it'd go down in price, I reall want to pick this up, but i'd prefer to do so at $19.99.

I saw a used copy of Afrika at a Blockbuster for $50. Probably the first copy of the game I've ever seen. I didn't want it, let a collector have it.

[quote name='lustyhitter']I saw a used copy of Afrika at a Blockbuster for $50. Probably the first copy of the game I've ever seen. I didn't want it, let a collector have it.[/QUOTE]

Used for $50? Holy cow...that's the normal new price

[quote name='Richlough']Did we ever find out if the camera could be inverted in the US version ?

I'm interested if so .[/QUOTE]

For me I wouldn't invert anyway. Actually...I really hate inverted controls..be shooters, under water levels, even flying. I just never liked it.

[quote name='dallow']Very low print run.
I doubt you'll ever find it at $20.[/QUOTE]

And since it's a niche game that people who really like it will rarely sell (for cheap) yeah like most of Atlus's games it isn't likely to drop anytime soon.

If gamestop doesnt have a b2g1 with gamedays, im just buying this used from them. ive been wanting to play this for a while and i dont want to wait for it to become rare and impossible to find or $70 used

Kind of off-topic but I picked up Jambo Safari by Sega for the Wii for $10 from Big Lots .
It's pretty good and I can drive while my daughter lassos the animals .

I still kinda want this game though .

At first, I found a new copy for $50, but then one of the Gamestop employees told me there was a used one for ten dollars less. So thank you Gamestop employee for telling me that.

Now I haven't played the game lately since I have school and other games that seem to grab me more, but I really want to come back to it when I get my break.

I just picked this up and I followed the tutorial exactly. It says go into the camera mode by pressing square(which I did), but I can't get it to snap any pics. I've tried every button besides circle on the controller to snap a photo and it's not doing anything.

It'll let me zoom in and out, pan left and right and even tilt the camera sideways with the Sixaxis function, but it won't let me snap a picture. WTF!?!?!

I only paid $10 for the game from the one local shop, but it's aggravating me because this looks like a fairly interesting game. Can anyone help me out here?

It's a beautiful game, but there are no voiceovers from what I've seen thus far, though that really doesn't matter to me since I paid so little for the game. But if I could just figure out what I might be doing wrong since it would seem that circle is not working to take photos.

Maybe you have to take photos of only specific targets to start out with?

I haven't even opened my copy Cheapest so I can't tell you for sure, have you figured it out?
There's gotta be a FAQ online.

bread's done
Back