Official B&M Family Video Previous-Rentals-For-Sale Thread (YMMV on selection)

sp00ge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
149 (100%)
Since Family Video isn't pretty much YMMV as far as selection, and not prices, I think this finally warrants it's own thread. It's been confirmed that prices are the same throughout the chain, but it just boils down to if your local store has marked them for sale.

Some points:
  • If there are three or more of a particular title, once it's rental frequency drops, stores may clear out all but two copies. This is particularly true with newer, current gen titles.
  • If there are older titles and there are multiple copies, you may be able to get them to sell them, even if they are not tagged for sale. Just be super-courteous and hope the manager is on duty. It worked for me.
  • One drawback is there are high chances you may not get a manual. Be sure to check all rental cases for a manual and take that up to the counter with the tagged case. If there are no manuals on any of the rental cases, ask at the counter. Sometimes they have extras in the game drawer.
  • This is based on observation. If I can get a FV employee that can provide better details, I'll update this.
  • 50% of all available copies that were NOT rented over the previous weekend (Example: If a store had 8 copies of a title, 4 of them were rented over the weekend, and 4 weren't, they will be able to sell 2 copies) - Thanks DaKrazie1 for the info!
Enjoy!

:360: Xbox 360

$29.95
  • Devil May Cry 4
  • Mass Effect
  • Halo 3
  • Assassin's Creed (added 3/19)
$19.95
  • Bioshock
  • Dirt
  • The Club
  • The Orange Box
  • The Simpsons
  • Project Gotham 4
  • Conan
  • Stranglehold
$9.95 (All added/price dropped 4/15)
  • Call of Juarez
  • The Darkness
  • Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer
  • Forza 2
  • Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End
  • Shadowrun
  • Spiderman 3
  • Transformers (Xbox 360)
:wii: Wii

$29.95
  • Mario & Sonic at the Olympics (added 3/19)
$19.95
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
  • Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
:ps3: PS3

$29.95
  • Nothing Currently
$19.95
  • Devil May Cry 4
:ps2: PS2

$19.95
  • Rock band for (Game Only)
  • The Simpsons
  • God of War 2
  • MX vs. ATV: Untamed
  • Tony Hawk: Proving Ground
  • Transformers
I'll try to keep this updated as more games get marked for sale.

Thanks to everyone who pitched in the info/prices, especially DaKrazie1 for the inside info.

Do all FVs sell previous rentals? I mean, I understand that not everything that's available for rent can be purchased, but I'm asking if they all sell some of their previous rentals once the demand dies down?

I've got my eye on a game, but it isn't labelled for sale. They only have one copy and it's last-gen. What are my chances of getting them to sell it to me, and if not how much will they charge me if I keep it?

I've noticed they have a pricing on games.. so I think it's retail cost if you "lose" it or whatever. But it's probably a strike on your acct. But the details listed in the OP is what I have observed as well. I've bought a few games from them and had to hunt for manuals etc.. and ask for it.

glad this thread is finally up and official. I'll try to contribute as well.

Family Video is a pretty kickass hunting ground if you don't mind your games being in (often times) cringe-worthy condition. I will hit up my local FV on the way home from work today, that price on Metroid and Super Mario is very hard to pass up.

[quote name='radjago']I've got my eye on a game, but it isn't labelled for sale. They only have one copy and it's last-gen. What are my chances of getting them to sell it to me, and if not how much will they charge me if I keep it?[/quote]

You could always ask to see if they'll sell it.

The one thing I don't see mentioned is that if the game hasn't been rented in awhile, it has a better chance of being sold. It's how I got Metal Gear Solid : Twin Snakes(GC) from there for $7(part of their 3 for $21 deal) :).

just stopped in my FV didn't see anything good.

as for titles that I've read before people being able to buy.. if there are multiple copies available, even w/o a sticker, do you think they'd be able to sell it? Maybe if it's listed in their computer system or etc.. I think someone else on CAG got Pikmin2 from FV and I saw 3 copies at mine lol but none had a sales sticker.

[quote name='aznguyen316']just stopped in my FV didn't see anything good.

as for titles that I've read before people being able to buy.. if there are multiple copies available, even w/o a sticker, do you think they'd be able to sell it? Maybe if it's listed in their computer system or etc.. I think someone else on CAG got Pikmin2 from FV and I saw 3 copies at mine lol but none had a sales sticker.[/quote]

Yeah, that was me. I had asked several times and was told I needed to ask a manager. I finally managed to get an on-duty manager the last time and he said since they had three copies and none had been rented in some time, it wouldn't be a problem.

I have this semi-outlined in the OP.

Thats pretty cool. Theres one 4 blocks away from my work. :applause: Gonna have to wait till monday or lunch hour.

if you don't mind your games being in (often times) cringe-worthy condition

Crap..I wont even consider a game if the instruction book is missing or ripped. I'm an anal S.O.B.

I dunno most of the time the games are in great condition.. at least my location. and if there are enough copies you can scope them all out for a manual at least or pick between best condition. I've b een able to find what I was happy with on all the games I really wanted.

[quote name='aznguyen316']I dunno most of the time the games are in great condition.. at least my location. and if there are enough copies you can scope them all out for a manual at least or pick between best condition. I've b een able to find what I was happy with on all the games I really wanted.[/quote]

I was gonna say. Every game I've bought from them has been in tip-top shape. The manuals are hit/miss, though.

[quote name='sp00ge'] Just be super-courteous[/QUOTE]

I have found this to be key for getting a ton of awesome deals. People are much more likely to be nice to you if you are nice to them. That sounds like common sense, but I read of people on here "demanding" things, and it's so much more likely you will get what you want if you are just nice to people.

RD

talked to the manager today. she said I guess titles now aren't going to be listed for sale on the case? but it's in the computer, so I dunno if you have to ask everytime or what now, maybe I misunderstood. Eithe way, Pikmin 2 wasn't listed for sale on the game case itself, but I asked her and she checked and it was for sale, got it for $7.95 unfortunately, no game manual. oh well! I may look for more.

At the Crawfordsville, IN Family Video, for Gamecube both Lost Kingdoms II and NHL Hitz 20-03 for $7.95

Also, although it may be a bit seedy, you can peel the sticker off of one title on sale and put it on another. My friend got the MegaMan X Collection for GC in this way. Just remember to do for similar system games-- like 19.99 stickers for Wii, 7.95 for GC, etc.

I used to get great deals at family video about a year ago. Now it seems people have finally caught on though and its harder to come across any good ones.

[quote name='gareman']also a like 8 copies of mass effect but none for sale and none rented out.[/quote]

ask the manager, it should be in the system for how much it is for sale. My manager said they are going to start doing via computers so people can't swap stickers like Juno lol.

[quote name='aznguyen316']ask the manager, it should be in the system for how much it is for sale. My manager said they are going to start doing via computers so people can't swap stickers like Juno lol.[/quote]

Nah, they should be stickered, not sure whats wrong with the manager at the store you go to -- But, that's the dumbest idea ever. We have a master price list, so if someone switches stickers, we don't have to honor it..

Nonetheless, here are the games that have been put on sale this week:

50% of all available copies that were NOT rented over the previous weekend (Example: If a store had 8 copies of a title, 4 of them were rented over the weekend, and 4 weren't, they will be able to sell 2 copies):

Assassin's Creed (XBOX 360): $29.95
Mario and Sonic At The Olympics (Wii): $29.95

All but 2 copies can be sold:

MX vs. ATV: Untamed (PS2): $19.95

I'll get you guys another update next week..

got God of War II today, complete, both discs + game case and mint manual for $19.95, thanks guys! No sales tags on these, but I checked w/ the manager and it was in the system for that price, so if you want a game here, ask about it! OP, add Pikmin 2 @ $7.95 for GCN titles..

Two new games this week, both of which every store can sell til they have 2 copies remaining, and both are priced at $29.95:

The Club (Xbox 360)
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)

they also added a ton of new stuff to their online used store, went from like 15 - 20 titles to 80, nothing that interest me however. keep in mind you cant check condition or know if you will recieve anything other than the disc. still pretty good deals, bioshock for 29.99

[quote name='DaKrazie1']Two new games this week, both of which every store can sell til they have 2 copies remaining, and both are priced at $29.95:

The Club (Xbox 360)
Devil May Cry 4 (PS3)[/quote]
My store had 3 copies of devil may cry 4(ps3) and said they could not sell my a copy b/c it was not on the list

[quote name='aznguyen316']hmm damn that sucks, I assumed this was after you had them check the price on the computer?[/quote]
no i did have them check. I went up there with a copy and she states "thats not for sale" then I tell her my friend bought one from another store, she then goes to the magic book (i assume a list of which games are for sale) and she tells me that is is not for sale. This also happened with Mario Galaxy the store had like 6 copies. I will go back when a manager is on duty.

[quote name='jmiller']no i did have them check. I went up there with a copy and she states "thats not for sale" then I tell her my friend bought one from another store, she then goes to the magic book (i assume a list of which games are for sale) and she tells me that is is not for sale. This also happened with Mario Galaxy the store had like 6 copies. I will go back when a manager is on duty.[/quote]

They must have high rental numbers at that store then. Just because they are on the list, doesn't mean they are for sale at that time. Once rental numbers drop off on that title and it's on the list, it will become available for sale.

I just bought Mario Galaxy 2 days ago. It wasn't for sale last week, but this week they had 2 copies for sale.

[quote name='jmiller']My store had 3 copies of devil may cry 4(ps3) and said they could not sell my a copy b/c it was not on the list[/quote]

If they truly have 3 copies of it for the PS3, they should (per home office) have one for sale. Whoever waited on you must've looked at an outdated list, because we got the e-mail Monday night that had it listed. Go back and tell them an employee said to look at this week's "Board" and then laugh at them when they realize you know more about the store than they do :D

Metroid Prime 3 is listed at $29.99 used on the website rather than the $19.99 listed on the original post :cry:

[quote name='VGMaster75']Metroid Prime 3 is listed at $29.99 used on the website rather than the $19.99 listed on the original post :cry:[/quote]

Yeah , but i think web prices differ from in store prices. I was able to pick up 3 Metriod Primes 3 in store for 19.XX.

Metroid Prime 3 is listed at $29.99 used on the website rather than the $19.99 listed on the original post :cry:

[quote name='VGMaster75']Metroid Prime 3 is listed at $29.99 used on the website rather than the $19.99 listed on the original post :cry:[/quote]

Yeah , but i think web prices differ from in store prices. I was able to pick up 3 Metriod Primes 3 in store for 19.XX.

$19.95
  • The Orange Box
$19.95
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
So should I be looking for these in a specific 'used games for sale' section? Or am I going to have to take them off the rental rack and try to convince a FV employee to sell them to me?

The games for sale are usually mixed in with the rentals and should have a big sticker on it.. If you don't see any with the sticker but you see that they have more then two copies of the game you can see if they will sell it.. They are allowed to sell all but two copies.. Hope that helps...

[quote name='VGMaster75']Can you get the original cases?
There's one Family Video in my area and I've never been there.[/quote]
No one ever answered this question. Does FV use original casing?

[quote name='VGMaster75']No one ever answered this question. Does FV use original casing?[/quote]

If my local FV are like the others, they have the original retail box on the shelf and behind that a rental box that contains the instruction manual. When I bought games from them in the past (granted that was about 3 years ago) I just took the original box and the rental box from behind and took them to the counter. If the rental box did not have any instructions, I just looked at the other copies there and grabbed an instruction manual from one of those.

Ah the days of getting new-ish PS2 games for under $10... happy times.

[quote name='VGMaster75']$19.95
  • The Orange Box
$19.95
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
So should I be looking for these in a specific 'used games for sale' section? Or am I going to have to take them off the rental rack and try to convince a FV employee to sell them to me?[/quote]
No luck here with the aforementioned games. The only game they had more than 2 copies of was Super Mario Galaxy, and I didn't feel like trying to get the clerk to sell it to me as the store was busy at the time.

[quote name='VGMaster75']$19.95
  • The Orange Box
$19.95
  • Metroid Prime 3
  • Super Mario Galaxy
So should I be looking for these in a specific 'used games for sale' section? Or am I going to have to take them off the rental rack and try to convince a FV employee to sell them to me?[/quote]
No luck here with the aforementioned games. The only game they had more than 2 copies of was Super Mario Galaxy, and I didn't feel like trying to get the clerk to sell it to me as the store was busy at the time.

bread's done
Back