Official CAG board/card game topic. From Dominion to Battlestar we gots it all!

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Just be careful that you have the time to invest into these games or the space to leave them the gameboard out so you can visit it later.

For instance, Arkham Asylum (based on HP lovecraft) takes about 4 hours to play.[/QUOTE]

Ya we avoided Arkham Asylum because of the time sink and because of the fact that it looks horribly complicated. I think it looks cool but my fiancee saw that it was 700 pieces and started listening to the rules on youtube and was like fuck that game. Time isnt a problem as far as playing all these games we are buying, just in the sense of she rarely wants to play a 10 hour game!

I just found someone on ebay that said if I bought enough she would reduce shipping to almost free after a few games. She said just list what I was interested in and she would quote me a shipped price. Would be sweet if what she said was true since I would pick up a few more zombies Xpacks, Carcassone with a few Xpacks, Battlelore and Mr Jack in addition to some random stuff like Humans and Bump in the Night. If she comes through I would grab these then Blokus, Tsaro and Talisman and not buy anything else for probally another year or so! Wouldnt have the money to hehe, I am already dipping into my game budget heavily.

A partial credit to rumarudrathas for recommending Fluxx:

I picked up Zombie Fluxx today and its fucking AWESOME.

16 dollars well spent. Highly recommended.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Just finished my first game of Ticket to Ride with her. Was deffintly a great purchase. The first game I stomped her something crazy like 127 to - 13 but suprisingly she instantly wanted to play again....and then finished 127ish(completed most of the same routes)to like 110. I actually thought she was going to beat me for a minute! Was so proud of her that it came that close and she had a blast even after losing. Was definitely a good purchase![/quote]

Glad you enjoyed Ticket to Ride. I really need to buy a physical version so I can play with my wife. :lol:

[quote name='MSI Magus']I bought zombies and will vouch for it. Its a lot of fun. I will probably pick up last night on Earth sometime in the next few months since it looks pretty fun and is better reviewed. Seriously though I wouldnt put zombies down at all, its a blast to play. My only complaint with it was that I feel more like I am hunting zombies then the zombies are hunting me.

Zombie Town I didnt buy and everything I have read and watched has suggested that its just ok and is overally complicated for what it is.[/quote]

In another Zombies!! note, it looks like it will be coming to Xbox Live this year. I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Last I knew heroscape is that game you find in places like Target, that you have to buy boosters and such for, and lots. I would avoid it, I'm pretty sure it's already having some trouble staying afloat or died last I knew. I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure I've seen it clearanced out of a lot of stores and it didn't do as well as they hoped.

Anyways, I would really avoid buying games that go "BUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYBUYOURSHIT" unless it's one that has stood the test of time. (Catan, Zombies!!!, etc.)

You really don't want to be stuck with a buncha expansions for a game nobody touched for a reason =P

[quote name='infamyRISE']A partial credit to rumarudrathas for recommending Fluxx:

I picked up Zombie Fluxx today and its fucking AWESOME.

16 dollars well spent. Highly recommended.[/quote]

Zombie Fluxx is fun...but it is definately light, light, light, filler. Anyone can hop in and play it but it's pretty random (which is why it's fun) and doesn't give anyone who is serious about a game anything to come back to.

Zombies coming to Xbox Live Arcade would kick ass. And last night we played the Ticket to Ride Xpack Switzerland that we bought. The rules for it surprisingly were worded in an extremely confusing way so ultimately we just made up our own rules for 2 or 3 things. We thought when the game said it was an expansion it would do something like add a few new pieces and maybe a small board that you would play with while playing with the old TtR board. Instead Switzerland added a huge stand alone board and no new pieces, you use your old TtR cards train cards and trains. Switzerland comes with new tickets which instead of just being cities is also countries now too. So you can draw cards that say connect this city to that city but also cards that say connect 1 of the 5 or 6 countries to one of the other 5 or 6 contries. Each country has 2 or 3 accese points and connecting any of them is fine as long as one country has a train that leads to another. I am sure you all can imagine its difficult to connect some countries since they are all on the outskirts of the map meaning you will have to connect much longer trains. The thing that makes this slightly easier is the fact that you can always choose which countries to connect, the cards list either 4 countries and you can connect any of the 4(each having a different point set based on difficulty)or the card will say connect 1 specific country to your choice of 1 of 3 others.

The only other change to the game itself is that there are now tunnels in the game that you cant build a track through normal means on. Instead you must use Wild Cards to fill them out. Wild cards can no longer be used as any color card you want instead they are only used on tunnels but you can draw 2 of them from piles. The final change is that the board itself has less spaces then the other TtR board too which makes it a more cut throat game.

http://www.boardgamerevolution.com/cat--Home--1

GREAT site. His initial shipping is like $10 but after that he only charges $1 or less per game you add to your card. His prices also seem to be $15-$20 less for the big pricy games and $5-$10 less for cheaper games and Xpacks. I just picked up a whole ton of games for way below standard price. Just wish I would have found this site before buying the games I bought yesterday....I would have saved about $60 on the 3 games we bought....add in ticket to ride and the stuff I bought last week and I would have saved $100+ on his site.

Edit - Wow their costumer service is really great. When I filled out my order there was a comments section and I commented that it was dissapointing that they didnt carry the Zombies series. Their customer support or atleast the guy that runs the site emailed me back already and said they do carry them but there was a glitch on the site that made them not show. He then said that he would add any zombies games on to my order with free shipping if I wanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ChernobylCow']Zombie Fluxx is fun...but it is definately light, light, light, filler. Anyone can hop in and play it but it's pretty random (which is why it's fun) and doesn't give anyone who is serious about a game anything to come back to.[/QUOTE]

Interesting. Disagreed.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Well I will wait until you actually get your stuff in the mail :)[/QUOTE]

I will let you guys know. I am 90% certain the site is reliable though. I was able to find them through BBB and some review sites and if they wanted to rip me off you would think that the guy would have told me stuff was in stock when it wasnt when we spoke through email. I cant believe how good the customer service was though, besides everything else I have mentioned when my order got accidently shipped without the stuff that was supposed to be added the guy apologized and said he would ship it and anything else I wanted to add out free of charge. I just wish they would have had Dominion in stock ;)

Anyways last night we tried out Last Night on Earth. I definitely like it better then zombies and its nice having so many scenarios. However the manual for the game SUCKS ASS. It words things extremely confusing and there were questions on the rules we had that we couldnt even find in the manual and thus had to just make up our own rules. For instance the manual makes no mention what so ever of the combat rules in the dark. So we were left making our own rules up on if I could find my revolver at a zombie in the dark. On one hand you would think I wouldnt be able to see it, on the other it was only one space away from me....but then again it was in a different room then I was. A simple mention of rules for when the power is cut in a building would have made all the difference in the world.

I picked up Catan: Card Game earlier today.

I read about 5 pages of the manual before my brain caved in on itself. I think I'm going to find an online tutorial, or at least some more concise, clearer instructions. I have no doubt, however, that the game will be great. It already seems more in depth that the vanilla (sans expansion that is) board game.

Edit: Good to see the positive impressions of Last Night on Earth. That is HIGH on my want list.

[quote name='Gentlegamer']Talisman: the Magical Quest Game[/quote]

I'll second Talisman, it's perhaps the single most important Board game in my life. Personally it was like my gateway drug into board gaming, it had everything fairly simple rules, you could easily adjust rules, and a handful of expansions. I own the second edition and willed myself to buy almost every expansion for the game.

Recently Fantasy Flight obtained the rights to create a new revised 4th edition which includes plastic miniatures, new artwork, and some adjustments to the gameplay. It's a big box game and I think it may be a bit pricey $40-$60 depending on where you pick it up.

I play tons of boardgames I could probably come up with a list of some of my favorite games, some of which are becoming kind of rare though.

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Just be careful that you have the time to invest into these games or the space to leave them the gameboard out so you can visit it later.

For instance, Arkham Asylum (based on HP lovecraft) takes about 4 hours to play.[/quote]

It's actually Arkham Horror(another one of my favorite games) I think you got the name confused with Batman's Arkham Asylum. Anyway I think I'm drawn to tons of games which are time sinks, every time I play Arkham it's like 5-8 hours in one sitting. I also have like 4 expansions for the game, they add a considerable amount of time on to the original game. I mainly like it cuz I'm a huge fan of H.P. Lovecraft and Cthulhu stuff, but the rules are just insane to keep track of(I have to refer back to the rules every time we play a game).

Another game that can take quite a while to play is Runebound it's very similiar to Talisman, but not nearly as linear. You can trapes all over the land getting quests, killing beasties or other players, leveling up stats, buying new equipment to ultimately defeat the big bad guy at the end. I have so many expansions for this game it's ridiculous( I think I have every expansion for that matter). The game has a lot of life in it and the expansions always keep things fresh, I have 4 big box expansions and probably around 20 card deck expansions.

these games can be difficult, but I find a lot of enjoyment out of them. Again I'll find some games that are considerably less time consuming and easier to help you out.

[quote name='infamyRISE']I picked up Catan: Card Game earlier today.

I read about 5 pages of the manual before my brain caved in on itself. I think I'm going to find an online tutorial, or at least some more concise, clearer instructions. I have no doubt, however, that the game will be great. It already seems more in depth that the vanilla (sans expansion that is) board game.

Edit: Good to see the positive impressions of Last Night on Earth. That is HIGH on my want list.[/QUOTE]

We have found that its often easier to get the rules down by just playing the game, especially if a game has a lot of rules. Its kind of hard to remember everything in a 5-20 page manual, but if you just play as you read stuff tends to click faster.

And ya LNOE was pretty good but like I said expect to be looking for rules online again and rereading the manual. I also would have liked a few more characters and the map to have been slightly bigger but those arnt big complaints.

Its nice to see such great responses for Talisman its one of the games I am most excited to get, but was worried the rules would be a beast. What are the Xpacks for the game though and do you know if they work with the 4th edition(which is what I bought)? I havnt seen any Xpacks for it so I am interested to hear.

My favorite game of all time has already been recommended. Cosmic Encounter. Just a fantastic game with lots of depth and strategy involved.

I am also a fan of Fluxx and its many variants as well.

Alright here's a list of some games I highly recommend when you don't have hours to invest into a boardgame. I've hyper-linked the games to their boardgamegeek page.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
(boardgame/tile):
This is by far my wife's favorite game that we own as well as one of my own, I believe it has become a bit rare(at least the last time I checked it was twice msrp on ebay). A very fun "dungeon crawl" type game where you lay tiles to unveil new rooms in a haunted mansion. It has several rules, but fairly simple once you play through it a couple times. It is definitely best played w/ 4+ people, but it can be enjoyable with 3(I've never played it with 3, only 4 or more). As you progress through the game you come across omens and must do a haunt roll, if the roll is failed then the traitor is revealed among the people who are playing and it could be anyone depending on the omen found, the room it was in, to the person that unveiled the haunt(there is a nifty book that describes this very easily). From this point on, the traitor/survivors have to try to win the game based off of one of 40+ different scenerarios. The game usually only takes about an hour or so to get through as well so it goes through fairly quickly and it's a lot of fun.

Last Night on Earth (boardgame/tile):
My wife and I both really enjoy this game, and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than "Maul of America" or "Zombies".

Apples to Apples (cardgame):
A game that can be quite fun if you're having a party, it is very biased however(you can learn a lot about your friends and family with this game). You have 2 categories "Things and Descriptions" a referee places a description card and everyone else places a thing that they believe the referee would choose. Quite simple and very funny at times. It doesn't take a lot of thought to play and it's very easy to get a game going, even with a bunch of lay(men/women).

Pandemic (boardgame):
My dad is a huge fan of this game and actually got me to play several times while I was visiting him. The game kept me very entertained and it has some nail biting elements. Basically you and everyone else you play with work for the Center for Disease Control, each person has a different specialty to assist in fighting off disease. The premise of the game involves the whole world breaking out in almost every deadly virus known to man and your team has to quarantine and eliminate the viruses. It is a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Bang! (cardgame):
Boomtown (cardgame):
Citadels (cardgame):
Dungeon (boardgame):
Guillotine (cardgame):
Nuclear War (cardgame):
Power Grid (board/cardgame):
Wits & Wagers (party game):

[quote name='Sacsquash']Alright here's a list of some games I highly recommend when you don't have hours to invest into a boardgame. I've hyper-linked the games to their boardgamegeek page.

Betrayal at House on the Hill
(boardgame/tile):
This is by far my wife's favorite game that we own as well as one of my own, I believe it has become a bit rare(at least the last time I checked it was twice msrp on ebay). A very fun "dungeon crawl" type game where you lay tiles to unveil new rooms in a haunted mansion. It has several rules, but fairly simple once you play through it a couple times. It is definitely best played w/ 4+ people, but it can be enjoyable with 3(I've never played it with 3, only 4 or more). As you progress through the game you come across omens and must do a haunt roll, if the roll is failed then the traitor is revealed among the people who are playing and it could be anyone depending on the omen found, the room it was in, to the person that unveiled the haunt(there is a nifty book that describes this very easily). From this point on, the traitor/survivors have to try to win the game based off of one of 40+ different scenerarios. The game usually only takes about an hour or so to get through as well so it goes through fairly quickly and it's a lot of fun.

Last Night on Earth (boardgame/tile):
My wife and I both really enjoy this game, and in my opinion it's much more enjoyable than "Maul of America" or "Zombies".

Apples to Apples (cardgame):
A game that can be quite fun if you're having a party, it is very biased however(you can learn a lot about your friends and family with this game). You have 2 categories "Things and Descriptions" a referee places a description card and everyone else places a thing that they believe the referee would choose. Quite simple and very funny at times. It doesn't take a lot of thought to play and it's very easy to get a game going, even with a bunch of lay(men/women).

Pandemic (boardgame):
My dad is a huge fan of this game and actually got me to play several times while I was visiting him. The game kept me very entertained and it has some nail biting elements. Basically you and everyone else you play with work for the Center for Disease Control, each person has a different specialty to assist in fighting off disease. The premise of the game involves the whole world breaking out in almost every deadly virus known to man and your team has to quarantine and eliminate the viruses. It is a lot of fun and definitely worth checking out in my opinion.

Bang! (cardgame):
Boomtown (cardgame):
Citadels (cardgame):
Dungeon (boardgame):
Guillotine (cardgame):
Nuclear War (cardgame):
Power Grid (board/cardgame):
Wits & Wagers (party game):[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. Few of them like Pandemic and House on the Haunted Hill sound hella cool. Too bad so many are 4+ players and HotHH is hella expensive. I am making a mental note that before my family vacation I need to grab Wits and Wagers which should be a great game for the people that see themselves as too cool to try something like Last night on earth.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Thanks for the suggestions. Few of them like Pandemic and House on the Haunted Hill sound hella cool. Too bad so many are 4+ players and HotHH is hella expensive. I am making a mental note that before my family vacation I need to grab Wits and Wagers which should be a great game for the people that see themselves as too cool to try something like Last night on earth.[/quote]

Betrayal is an awesome game it's just too bad that there hasn't been a re-print yet, the mark up is getting crazy. There are several other games I could recommend, and I've been playing Boardgames far longer than I've been playing videogames. I'll see what else I can come up with, mostly everything is from memory since I only own several big box games. I go to my parents house to play some of the more obscure games such as Pandemic which I would have never heard of had it not been for my dad.

For those who like Fluxx, you should really try the aforementioned Chrononauts. It has similar play mechanic with a more strategic game behind it, and the theme is really fun.

Just to add my two cents to the Zombies!/Last Night on Earth debate... I own all of the Zombies! expansions through 5, and my gaming group refuses to play it since we got Last Night on Earth. The game just flows better, and has more of a sense of group survival than Zombies! does.

They're both very similar. In fact the instructions for Zombie Fluxx say that combining the decks is possible to play.

That being said, Zombie Fluxx adds a new card type called Creepers (basically your Zombie types) which personally I think add another subtle layer of depth. Also, combining these decks seems like it would space out the zombies perhaps a bit too much.

I recommend Zombie Fluxx, unless you seriously plan on playing this with children, in which case the slightly less complicated Fluxx would work. This game is definately better with at least 3 people, preferably 4 (though still playable with 2).

[quote name='infamyRISE']They're both very similar. In fact the instructions for Zombie Fluxx say that combining the decks is possible to play.

That being said, Zombie Fluxx adds a new card type called Creepers (basically your Zombie types) which personally I think add another subtle layer of depth. Also, combining these decks seems like it would space out the zombies perhaps a bit too much.

I recommend Zombie Fluxx, unless you seriously plan on playing this with children, in which case the slightly less complicated Fluxx would work. This game is definately better at at least 3 people, preferably 4 (though still playable with 2).[/QUOTE]

Thanks good to know. I am going to get Dominion as my first card game and after we get bored with it I will look into Zombie Flux(and guillotine).

Ok so I got my package and all the games were in great condition and it was all there. So the site is trust worthy. However I wouldn't recommend it just for the simple fact of since then I have found several sites which are even cheaper a few of which offer free shipping if you order enough as well.

The 2 cheapest sites were
coolstuffinc.com -- They offer free shipping on all orders of $100 or greater
http://www.empireboardgames.com - The cheapest site I found BUT they have no shipping offers.

Also of mention is trollandtoad.com which doesnt offer free shipping however has a price match offer and runs specials sometimes as well.

Finally I would really recommend
http://www.fairplaygames.com/

I just purchased several more games from them(growing hunger Xpack, dominion, pandemic, Zombie fluxx, Guillotine and race for galaxy)and the prices were really competitive, they have a code freeship125 hat gives free shipping AND they shipped my order out about an hour after I placed it. So its a good site even if they are not as cheap as coolstuffinc. Heh and incase anyone is wondering why I went with them over coolstuff its because coolstuff was sold out of dominion.

Pandemic is cool. But Battlestar Galactica is by far the best co-op game I've ever played. Very very fun.

I also suggest looking at Agricola, it isn't number 1 for no reason. It's fun, and is fun 2 player. It's really not hard at all to play if you watch a video review first (The manual makes it harder than it is).

Last night on Earth is by far the best zombie game, and I've played them all.

Wits and Wagers is a good party game. The same guys recently made Say Anything, which is like a hybrid of Wits and Wagers and Apples to Apples but better than both.

Dominion is also a lot of fun. That is the game most of my friends always want to play.

Race for the Galaxy is good, but sharp learning curve (just in memorizing symbols the first couple games).

We've been playing a lot of Chinatown lately, family loves that.

I like Powergrid a lot but it can get rather math-y by the end.

I could go on but those are off the top of my head...

Someone once told me that you really can't go wrong with any game in the top 200 on Boardgamegeek.com and I've adhered to that and it's proven to be true.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Pandemic is cool. But Battlestar Galactica is by far the best co-op game I've ever played. Very very fun.

I also suggest looking at Agricola, it isn't number 1 for no reason. It's fun, and is fun 2 player. It's really not hard at all to play if you watch a video review first (The manual makes it harder than it is).

Last night on Earth is by far the best zombie game, and I've played them all.

Wits and Wagers is a good party game. The same guys recently made Say Anything, which is like a hybrid of Wits and Wagers and Apples to Apples but better than both.

Dominion is also a lot of fun. That is the game most of my friends always want to play.

Race for the Galaxy is good, but sharp learning curve (just in memorizing symbols the first couple games).

We've been playing a lot of Chinatown lately, family loves that.

I like Powergrid a lot but it can get rather math-y by the end.

I could go on but those are off the top of my head...

Someone once told me that you really can't go wrong with any game in the top 200 on Boardgamegeek.com and I've adhered to that and it's proven to be true.[/QUOTE]

Agreed all around from what I have seen. boardgamegeeks top games so far have been a good guide and I am looking forward to agricola but fiancee wanted to hold off on it. I really wish we would have gotten Last Night on Earth either before Zombie or atleast several months after it because now Zombies gets no use. Kind of annoying to spend like $60 on a game and its Xpacks then after 3 games never play it again because another you found is so much better ;)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Agreed all around from what I have seen. boardgamegeeks top games so far have been a good guide and I am looking forward to agricola but fiancee wanted to hold off on it. I really wish we would have gotten Last Night on Earth either before Zombie or atleast several months after it because now Zombies gets no use. Kind of annoying to spend like $60 on a game and its Xpacks then after 3 games never play it again because another you found is so much better ;)[/QUOTE]

Boardgamegeek has a huge community of game trading/selling. I bet you could offload that game for $25 at least pretty fast there.

Uggg Talisman is a loooooong game. Took us about 3 and a half hours or so to complete the game. On future plays I bet it still would take 2 hours or so. It also felt far to easy and random, most monsters I slaughtered without a problem and then right at the end of the game the last ring is freaking impossible. Still over all I think it could be a fun game with some rule tweaking. Anyone have any suggestions for rule tweeks to make it go a little faster/be a little harder? Also what exactly does the grim reaper in the grim reaper Xpack do and are there any other 4th edition Xpacks that might speed it up?

For your rule tweaks, I'm going to throw out BGG again. On every game's page theres a forum for it with a variant rules section. I'm sure some fan has came up with SOMETHING.

I wanted to add that I had a chance to play Catan: The Card Game. I have to say, I think its better than Settlers (without any expansions -- I've yet to try Any of the Xpacs for Settlers, so I'm reserving the right to say Settlers + Xpacs > Catan:TCG :) )

[quote name='infamyRISE']For your rule tweaks, I'm going to throw out BGG again. On every game's page theres a forum for it with a variant rules section. I'm sure some fan has came up with SOMETHING.

I wanted to add that I had a chance to play Catan: The Card Game. I have to say, I think its better than Settlers (without any expansions -- I've yet to try Any of the Xpacs for Settlers, so I'm reserving the right to say Settlers + Xpacs > Catan:TCG :) )[/QUOTE]

Ya I thought of this slightly after I made the post and went there and posted. People said its crazy that it took us like 4 hours to complete the game so we must have done something wrong.

We played Mr Jack and Bump in the Night tonight. I definitely cannot recommend Bump in the Night. The directions are horribly complicated but yet leave many questions and while the game requires a lot of stratagy it requires all of it around 1 convoluted idea which made it simply unenjoyable. Already put the game up for sale on craigslist to try and recoup loses.

Mr Jack however is a total recommendation especially given that you can get it for $25! We played 3 games of it tonight and found it very enjoyable and while it may not get broke out as much as Ticket to Ride I bet we will replay it for years. The game is extremely simple yet every turn there are a ton of things to think out if you want to win, especially as jack. The basic concept of the game is that there are like 8-12 characters placed on the board at the start, one player will be playing jack the ripper the other trying to solve who is jack the ripper. The character that plays as Jack draws a card that tells him which of the characters on the board is jack. So the one player spends the game trying to find which character is jack the other trying to protect jack. Each turn 4 cards depicting characters are drawn and each player will get to move 2 of them. Jack wants to keep as many people either in or out of street light tiles because at the end of his turn he has to declare if the characters are in the light or out of the light. Thus the game is a simple process of elimination.

Like I said avoid bump in the night but Mr Jack is a great game.

While this may not be THE best place to ask, I've had no response elsewhere... anyone have a cheap site for RPG rulebooks?

[quote name='georox']While this may not be THE best place to ask, I've had no response elsewhere... anyone have a cheap site for RPG rulebooks?[/QUOTE]

I would check some of the sites I mentioned before like trollandtoad or coolstuffinc fairplaygames I know many of these carry magic cards and think I saw rulebooks at a few sites.

[quote name='georox']Ugh, I honestly hate trollandtoad. I'll try the others though.[/QUOTE]

Why do you hate trollandtoad? I havnt used them yet so would be interested to hear. When my order from fairplaygames gets here I will update the topic, but so far I am really happy with them. They actually shipped my order like maybe an hour or so after I made it and also responded to an email I sent them almost instantly.

Prices/shipping rates. They don't exactly offer very fair shipping rates if your ordering smaller stuff, and generally the prices are only so competitive, in my eyes anyways. I just know many places are better to order from.

While I'm relatively unfamiliar with "rulebooks" or their normal pricing, Nobleknight.com had a bunch of RPG shit from what I saw.

Thoughthammer.com is about the cheapest I've seen it at 33.60.

Should have asked yesterday. Boardgamerevolution had a Catan sale last week until friday. 24.99ish.

[quote name='specialk']Any of you found Settlers of Catan and the expansions for cheap?[/QUOTE]

$25 at coolstuffinc.com if shipping is a killer try fairplaygames.com which had it for like $27

So now that the topic has been open for 3 weeks, how many games have you bought? Because it sounds like a lot. And what have been your fiance's favorites (and least favorites) so far? I'm always trying to find games that my wife will like, so I'm curious what's worked for you so far. My wife really likes Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities, and I'm going to try to get her started on Dominion soon, now that I've gotten all of my other friends playing it. Dominion is great, because you can learn the basic rules in about 2 minutes, then you've got to figure out what the 10 Kingdom cards do, which will only take about another 5 minutes. As you play more, swap out a couple of Kingdom cards for new ones so that the game changes but not too much.

I think I'll eventually work her up to Settlers of Catan (which some of her friends play), or the Catan card game. I tried to explain Agricola, but you can't just jump into it and learn as you go, or you won't know what you're doing. I'd echo what someone else said, and find a video review (try "Board Games with Scott") that will explain the rules for you.

I personally can't stand Ticket to Ride. If you ever play with someone aggressive that loves to block, it turns into a real crappy game real fast. It only gets played by kids now, in my circle. Thurn and Taxis is a similar game I like a lot better.

I've learned that with Agricola, teaching the rules before playing is difficult and scary. Most people pick it up really fast if you just get the game out and walk through a couple rounds. It's a game that needs a 'practice' game without the cards first for nearly everyone. Just explain what the goals are and that getting a little bit of everything is best.

Does anyone here play caylus? Cayluls Magna carta is the lighter card version that's actually really good.

Galaxy trucker is also a real fun one that is pretty light. Only problem is, it's not really cheap.

[quote name='Travelsized']So now that the topic has been open for 3 weeks, how many games have you bought? Because it sounds like a lot. And what have been your fiance's favorites (and least favorites) so far? I'm always trying to find games that my wife will like, so I'm curious what's worked for you so far. My wife really likes Ticket to Ride and Lost Cities, and I'm going to try to get her started on Dominion soon, now that I've gotten all of my other friends playing it. Dominion is great, because you can learn the basic rules in about 2 minutes, then you've got to figure out what the 10 Kingdom cards do, which will only take about another 5 minutes. As you play more, swap out a couple of Kingdom cards for new ones so that the game changes but not too much.

I think I'll eventually work her up to Settlers of Catan (which some of her friends play), or the Catan card game. I tried to explain Agricola, but you can't just jump into it and learn as you go, or you won't know what you're doing. I'd echo what someone else said, and find a video review (try "Board Games with Scott") that will explain the rules for you.[/QUOTE]

So far we have bought

Munchkins + Xpack
Mr Jack + Xpack
Ticket to Ride +1910 and Switzerland Xpack
Bump in the Night
Talisman
Battlelore
Zombies + several Xpacks
Talisman
Last Night on Earth + Xpack
Guillotine
Zombie Fluxx
Race of the Galaxy
Dominion
Pandemic

So far of the games we have played they are placed in this order(both of us agree)
1. Ticket to Ride
2. Mr Jack
3. Last Night on Earth
4. Talisman
5. Zombies
6. Bump in the night.

Ticket to Ride is a must try and both of us place it as by far the best game. I seriously bet this game will get broken out all the damn time(we have played it like 10 times in the last 2 weeks). The switzerland Xpack for it I wouldn't really recommend till your bored with the game and need a twist. We played it 1 time and havnt touched it since. 1910 is nice if you can find it for $10-$13 since it adds more objectives/routes to complete. Mr Jack is a great 2 player game and if you look at my post on this page you can see a general summary of how its played. Last Night on Earth and Talisman we place pretty close to each other in quality and either can be a decent 2 player game if they are the type your looking for. Zombies I dont really recommend since Last Night on Earth is sooooo freaking much better as others have said. Bump in the Night I not only don't recommend but I recommend to avoid it(where as zombies I wouldn't say to avoid it just that LNoE nulls the need for it).

If you have any questions feel free to post them and I will keep posting updates on the games as we play them since it seems a few people are in similar shoes as us and interested in what we like. Tonight we might play Battlelore(Batltelore might wait since it seems kind of complicated and like a really read the manual kind of game). And I am sure as soon as Dominion, Zombie Fluxx, Pandemic and Guillotine gets here(it was ordered a few days ago and hasnt showed up yet)we will play them since we are excited to play them. I think Dominion is the only game with a chance of overtaking Ticket to Ride ;)

@thrust - We havnt played any of those yet but after we finish all of what we bought Agricola and Thurn and Taxis is at the top of my list of games to buy.

Battlelore is a lot of fun, and very easy to play if you play the scenarios in order, as it will introduce new game mechanics slowly.

We rarely play it though, just because set up time can be so long. I need to get down a system so it sets up fast (Pull cards or category boxes for each unit).

[quote name='thrustbucket']Battlelore is a lot of fun, and very easy to play if you play the scenarios in order, as it will introduce new game mechanics slowly.

We rarely play it though, just because set up time can be so long. I need to get down a system so it sets up fast (Pull cards or category boxes for each unit).[/QUOTE]

Ya I have a feeling we will be playing it tonight. I took a bath earlier today and read the manual while in the tub and was surprised and impressed by how simple they made it to learn the game. The splitting the game up into different scenarios is a brilliant way of teaching you the game.

[quote name='infamyRISE']Needs more Munchkin impressions! :)[/QUOTE]

Hehe well Munchkins was the top game that she wanted to play and it was bought largly for her but its been left to the side because of one thing after another. First it was a bunch of responsibilities like school but then it was because Mr Jack and Battlelore showed up in the mail which were the 2 games she wanted to play most.

Are you saying this because you love Munchkins or because you havnt played it and are interested in hearing about it? Either way my guess is that we might get to it in a few nights but if we dont it wont be played for a week or so ;)

[quote name='infamyRISE']The latter. Haven't played it.

Also, ordered Last Night on Earth and the Battlestar Galactica board game earlier.[/QUOTE]

Cool cool. When when we play it I will leave impression. Hopefully you enjoy LNoE as much as I do(and it seems everyone else in the topic does).

bread's done
Back