Official CAG Mac thread

Well kids, I think I'm going to sell my Macbook.

I really don't use it for much more than email and Web access on the road (origianlly for presentations, but my work only will supply the software for PC), and I think I'd prefer a modest gaming laptop instead. How much should I craigslist this for:

MacBook 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - White
13.3-inch glossy widescreen display
1GB memory
80GB hard drive
Combo drive (DVD-ROM/CD-RW)
OSX Leopard (Will give you both a Tiger and a Leopard disk)
Incase traveling case
Kensington optical laptop mouse

Same, I don't use it for much besides weather and calculator. I have a couple of useless things on there, like a web clip of my XBL card and ChiPet.

Hmmm...Well then I can recommend a few good ones.

NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) viewer is a simple, elegant way to view these gorgeous photos.

iStat Pro is a nicely designed, full-featured, and highly customizable system performance monitor. Incidentally, if you have an iPhone or iPod Touch, there's a very cool iStat app that allows you to monitor your Mac from afar (as well as get crucial info on your iPhone). It also has a "free up memory" button that is a nice quick alternative to power cycling the phone.

App Update tracks Apple’s software directory, MacUpdate and Version Tracker, and lets you know when any of the applications on your Mac need to be updated (along with direct links to do so).

Widget Update does the same thing as above, except for Widgets.

I'm in...just picked up a Mac Pro...I started out with the Apple IIe, then the Mac Classic (still have it), then a Gateway and a bunch of Dells in between, now I'm back to an Apple...and really lost!

still kicking ass in L4D with my mighty mouse! Damn, I really need to not be such a CAGer and loosing up my pockets and buy a proper gaming mouse.

[quote name='retroNutZ']still kicking ass in L4D with my mighty mouse! Damn, I really need to not be such a CAGer and loosing up my pockets and buy a proper gaming mouse.[/QUOTE]

Ewwww... the mighty mouse sucks. I have the one that came with my iMac as a backup and cringe every time I have to use it.

been using my macbook for close to a year now. i needed a laptop to bring to work and i was getting sick of HPs, Toshibas, Dells, etc. they all just end up crapping out after a year. my mac is still going strong and i LOVE how i don't need any spyware or virus protection. There are just a lot of little things i love about it. I still haven't done the dual-boot thing yet. probably because i only have xp64-bit.

I have a 24" iMac I bought about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The crappy thing is that the screen is defective, I get this weird horizontal banding throughout the entire thing. There is also a bunch of dust stuck between the lcd and the glass panel.

Friggin' Apple sent me to one their service places, but the moron there said that it wasn't defective enough to fix (although he did admint the defects were there), and I would have to pay for it (even though it's clearly under the warranty). So now Apple told me to go directly to the Apple Store, and I hope I don't get the same crap, cause I'm gonna be pissed.

This is my first Apple computer, and I haven't been impressed with their customer serivce so far.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have a 24" iMac I bought about 2 1/2 weeks ago. The crappy thing is that the screen is defective, I get this weird horizontal banding throughout the entire thing. There is also a bunch of dust stuck between the lcd and the glass panel.

Friggin' Apple sent me to one their service places, but the moron there said that it wasn't defective enough to fix (although he did admint the defects were there), and I would have to pay for it (even though it's clearly under the warranty). So now Apple told me to go directly to the Apple Store, and I hope I don't get the same crap, cause I'm gonna be pissed.

This is my first Apple computer, and I haven't been impressed with their customer serivce so far.[/quote]

With something like that, I'd always go to the Apple Store first. Just make sure you make an appointment. They'll do their best to help ya.

And worse case scenario, if you've only had it 2.5 weeks, it's still eligible for return/exchange, no?

I have no idea. I've never dealt with Macs and Apple before. I certainly hope that's the case, though.

The worst part is the distance I'm going to have to drive, and have already driven counting the Apple service center trip I made.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have no idea. I've never dealt with Macs and Apple before. I certainly hope that's the case, though.

The worst part is the distance I'm going to have to drive, and have already driven counting the Apple service center trip I made.[/quote]

Who did you buy it from? It's less about Mac/Apple than it is the universal 30-day return/exchange policy that most retailers offer. Since you're still in that period, you might not even want to bother with service (which Apple should offer) when you can just swap it out with no questions asked.

First-gen Macbook user - I've already replaced the battery (faulty) and the entire keyboard shell (cracking around the edges), but Applecare has handled that for free. Upgraded the RAM to the maxed 2GB and the HD to a 320GB Hitachi drive, both for under $100 total after rebates. Considering swapping the stock CDR/DVDROM drive for a DVD burner, but that depends on how cheap I can find a compatible drive.

Love my Mac.

[quote name='Tybee']Who did you buy it from? It's less about Mac/Apple than it is the universal 30-day return/exchange policy that most retailers offer. Since you're still in that period, you might not even want to bother with service (which Apple should offer) when you can just swap it out with no questions asked.[/quote]I bought it online, so returning it isn't an option, since if something goes wrong I just have to deal with the manufacturer, which is Apple.

bread's done
Back