Official Enhanced Steam Discussion Thread

If you're adding discount filtering, can you add discount sorting. It would be nice during the big sales to not only filter the discounts, but sort by them as well in order to find those really cheap hidden gems in a "Special" search or because some of us may not already have the entire Steam catalog (minus Bad Rats) on our wishlist. (^Ahem.) Unless, this is already a Chrome feature, at which I'll promptly crawl back in my box fort.
It's not yet a feature - but it's a good idea and should be doable. I'll look into it, thanks!

On a more serious note, I think it would be cool if you could mouse over the "X number of your friends have wishlisted" tag and have a popup that shows which friends they are. Granted this is probably not something that can be implemented for a variety of reason, but you did ask for a challenge ^_~
I'll check this out too - it may be possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool idea! But seriously, you guys are going to have to come up with something a little more challenging.
You are one fast dude... :hot:

Well, if you want challenges, how about:

- More recent games on my profile.

- An overview of my recent achievements. Got a lot of sites for that I know but it's missing in the Steam itself.

- Configurable badges page. It now shows all badges I got and that makes it slow.

- Add an extra filter to the badges page 'badges with cards' that you can toggle. So all badges or only the ones with cards

- Grid based badge page; lots of space is now wasted because it is row based. Don't show the cards, show only a % or 5/8 cards.

- Indication how much cards you have on the badges page. You can't see if you have 1 or 2 drops of a card on the badges page, only if you actually go to that game card page.

- multi-browser or cloud storage for your steam enhanced options. Why? : An example : I change the default colors for highlighted games because I have trouble reading them as I am colorblind. On multiple computer I have to set these colors again, which is a bit annoying.

- The default language steam website uses is often reset and set to the local locale. In my case this is Dutch, while I prefer the english language for Steam. I have to reset this at least 5 times a week. So if this could be 'remembered' and set by Enhanced Steam, this would be great (kinda like the auto age verification)

- An extra link in your personal menu that links directly to your games (http://steamcommunity.com/id/Marcelloz/games/). Now you have to navigate to your profile and then can access this list.

- On the all-games tab, have a filter that shows all the games that are installed, or can still be installed on the system running Steam.

- On the all-games tab, show size of all the games installed

- On the wishlist, when you click on the image of the game you go to the community page. Make it configurable that you go to the store page instead, and change the button from 'visit store page' to 'visit community page'

- Fix the slideshow on a game store page. Don't know if this is a Chrome only issue, but if I open a game store page and hover my mouse over the bit screenshot, or the small ones at the bottom, the slideshow goes nuts and jumps between the screenshots seeming randomly. This also occurs when I click a thumbnail.

- Put a bar somewhere with 'recent visited pages' like amazon does

- Don't know if this is possible, but make the inventory sortable or date received

- An extra button or link in the header that refreshes the data immediately.

- When you buy an item from the market, clear the cached data immediately. Also when you create a badge.

- Implement a theme for use in offices so it doesn't look like steam but like some inventory system ;-)

- More friends on your profile page

- View more games on the various pages. 50 instead of 10.

- Filter demo's and trailers from search results (search page and result preview on the free text search textbox)

- Show your achievements on store page, the box with 'my activity' can be filled up with all kinds of interesting stats like this :)

- Option to remove 'Share' and 'Embed' buttons on the store page

- Option to remove the 'Recommended' area at the bottom of the store page. This is for users with large collections useless.

- Option to remove owned games from the featured PC\Mac\Linux games area

- Option to remove the area with featured games completely (I mean the tabbed area below the big slideshow)

- Add a tab on the front page, next to the 'specials' tab that shows all your wishlist games that have discounts

- List of deals ending soon, sorted on end date\date

- Fix the spotlight height so it doesn't get bigger or smaller when going to the next or previous game

- Option to remove the demo area from the homepage

- Option to remove the Steam Greenlight area from the homepage

Let's start with these ok ;-)

Okay so I think I've got the new wishlist sorting option by discount finished. It turned out to be MUCH more complicated than I thought it would be: but it works great.

Here is a screenshot of my wishlist sorted by discount (which puts the most-discounted item first then works down)

syY9xxj.png

The rest of the non-discounted stuff is put in basically random order. But, that's the nature of sorting. Sub-sorting by name or something else didn't really make sense so this works good.

This sort can also be combined with the new filter - so you can show only discounted games then sort them by discount amount. When combined, it looks like this:

1DD9JQo.png

You are one fast dude... :hot:

Well, if you want challenges, how about:

*Long list of stuff, some of which is possible, some of which is already in Enhanced Steam*

Let's start with these ok ;-)
Some good suggestions here. Some of them Enhanced Steam simply can't do easily unless Valve changes their back-end stuff.

Some of these Enhanced Steam already does:

- Add an extra filter to the badges page 'badges with cards' that you can toggle. So all badges or only the ones with cards

- multi-browser or cloud storage for your steam enhanced options. (if you're signed in to Chrome with your Google account, Enhanced Steam should sync it's settings any time you sign in to Chrome on another computer)

- An extra button or link in the header that refreshes the data immediately. (The Enhanced Steam menu at the top has a "Clear Cached Data" button that does this)

Something tells me he wouldn't miss it ;)

About the only qualifications to getting on my wishlist are:

1. Be a game

2. Don't be Bad Rats

It's a free for all after that ;)

And yes, I do "not so secretly" want Secret of the Magic Crystal...

How about an animated Gaben dancing in the corner?

Why?

Just because (we all have needs).

On a more serious note, I think it would be cool if you could mouse over the "X number of your friends have wishlisted" tag and have a popup that shows which friends they are. Granted this is probably not something that can be implemented for a variety of reason, but you did ask for a challenge ^_~
My qualifications are even simpler.

1. Exist on Steam (don't wanna leave out applications) ;)

Thought of more immediate access to wishlist functions.  Say you're hovering over a game on the main store page to learn more about it and it looks neat. In the tool tip that normally describes the game, also have a add/remove from wishlist button.

Also, maybe have a filter that checks against what your friends own, so for example you want to play a multiplayer game with your friends and are searching Steam for a new one. Have the page display how many friends own/play the game similar to what you did with the wishlist. 

Also, maybe have a filter that checks against what your friends own, so for example you want to play a multiplayer game with your friends and are searching Steam for a new one. Have the page display how many friends own/play the game similar to what you did with the wishlist.
So like this?

A7jhJJQ.png

This is great, not sure why I never thought of it but I'd definitely like to see it in the next update (if possible) ^_^
Yep it'll be there. If enough people would be interested, I could write a tutorial on installing the GitHub application and keeping Enhanced Steam up to date with the "dev builds" for Google Chrome. It would give you access to features like this right away, before they're pushed to Google to be distributed publicly.

Yep it'll be there. If enough people would be interested, I could write a tutorial on installing the GitHub application and keeping Enhanced Steam up to date with the "dev builds" for Google Chrome. It would give you access to features like this right away, before they're pushed to Google to be distributed publicly.
Yeah that's what I wanted. Just curious, but if I hover over the 7 people own text, will a small window pop up like on a store page to show who those people are?

I'd be interested in the GitHub stuff. I could use it to help learn about web coding.

Yeah that's what I wanted. Just curious, but if I hover over the 7 people own text, will a small window pop up like on a store page to show who those people are?

I'd be interested in the GitHub stuff. I could use it to help learn about web coding.

This is what I wanted for the friends have wishlisted tag as well, so I'm guessing not yet (but maybe coming soon?).
Yeah I'm looking into the popup windows - not sure if it will be possible or not. The API correctly identifies how many friends own a game, but nowhere does it actually list those people (though it does for wishlisting).

So here is a basic tutorial for cloning Enhanced Steam from GitHub and accessing the "dev version". These are the first-time-only steps:

• Step 1: Set up an account at www.GitHub.com
  • Step 2: Download and install this application: http://github-windows.s3.amazonaws.com/GitHubSetup.exe
  • Step 3: Browse to the Enhanced Steam repository (https://github.com/jshackles/Enhanced_Steam)
  • Step 4: Select (on the right) "Clone In Desktop" This will launch the GitHub application.
    uG4qKG0.png
  • Step 5: Click the "Open this repo" button in the GitHub application. The first time you do this, it will ask if you want to clone this repo - answer yes.
    P0Shl4m.png
  • Step 6: Click the branch option at the top that says "Master" (this is the default branch where code is pushed when it's uploaded to the public). From that dropdown, select "Dev"
    KvNtRat.png

You should now have the most up-to-date dev version of Enhanced Steam in your My Documents -> Github -> Enhanced_Steam
  • Step 7: Open your Google Chrome extension settings, and make sure that "Developer Mode" is checked at the top.
  • Step 8: Select "Load Unpacked Extension". A dialog box will pop up asking you to select a directory. Select your "My Documents" -> Github -> Enhanced_Steam directory that the Github application created and press OK.
  • Congratulations, you now have the most up-to-date Enhanced Steam build.
Now to update it:

• Step 1: Open the Github desktop application (by default, it creates a desktop shortcut in Windows)
  • Step 2: Open the jshackles/Enhanced_Steam repository (this should already be present from the earlier guide)
  • Step 3: At the top (next to where you selected the branch) you can see the sync status.
    zpcLzko.png

This means it's already in sync and there are no changes.
  • Step 4: If there is a "Sync" button (it's blue) press it and it will refresh your local code with the changes from the server.
  • Step 5: Open the chrome extensions page, find Enhanced Steam, and select "Reload (Ctrl+R)"
  • Step 6: Enjoy the new features and report any bugs you find!
It's kind of a quick process once you get the hang of it. And of course I'm available to answer any questions you guys may have.

If you get the error message "Failed to Sync this branch", you can either delete your local copy and re-sync, or (most likely) you can just delete the js/localization.js file and re-sync.

Achievement comparison links are coming to the activity page:

560Z1tP.png

I've also cleaned the highlighting code up considerably to reduce the amount of processing that was being done on this page.

And, at the suggestion of others, it now looks like this:

T5VCo4Z.png

Can anybody check if the HowLongToBeat info displays correctly on all games?

For example it displays for me on some (Mark of the Ninja) and not on others (Gunpoint) - although both are covered on HLTB.

Can anybody check if the HowLongToBeat info displays correctly on all games?

For example it displays for me on some (Mark of the Ninja) and not on others (Gunpoint) - although both are covered on HLTB.
The integration with HowLongToBeat is something that's manually done on the Enhanced Steam database. At this point, not all games are added (only about 200 out of 2000) and I'm working on adding new entries when I get the chance.

Today I'm working on a few updates for the Chrome version, mostly speed/back end processing related. I'm also working on a new Firefox version and have successfully ported over about 20 new features. Stay tuned.

Oh my, you have a titanic task if you want to add it all manually. If you think there's any way we could contribute with at least a few entries, I think I could do it if it's not too difficult. For example I could add a new pairing when I check a game and it seems like it's not done yet. Not too many but maybe a few daily?

I just pushed a new version of Enhanced Steam for Chrome (4.7) to Google and it should be updating automatically within the next hour. Here is the changelog:

• Adds new sorting option to wishlist that lets you sort by discount percentage
  • Adds ability to hide Early Access games from the New Releases list on homepage
  • Adds new tag: "friends own" which tags each game with the number of your friends that own it
  • Adds "Games" link to header under your user name
  • Adds "Binder View" to badge progress page
  • Adds "(Compare)" link to activity page for achievements your friends unlock on games you own
  • Adds count of the number of times a game has been bundled in the price history section
  • Significantly increased processing time on the community activity page and search results page
As always, let me know if you have any questions or run into any bugs!

I've just uploaded Enhanced Steam for Firefox version 4.1.1 to Mozilla for review.  The review process typically takes 3-4 days, sometimes longer.

If you'd like to try the new features now you can manually install this version by visiting this link:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/enhanced-steam/versions/

Version 4.1.1 adds about 20 new features that were previously only available in Google Chrome.  There are still a few features that are missing - but this is as close as the Firefox version has ever been to Chrome development.

As always, let me know if you run into any issues or encounter any bugs.

I just updated Enhanced Steam for Chrome to version 4.7.1 - this release just addresses a few bugs and doesn't add any features.

• Fixed several bugs with new price history code - it no longer displays on free or F2P games, and no longer displays "undefined" instead of "Activates on Steam"
  • Fixes Port Royale 3 Four Pack split which was not previously detected.

Oh, thought of something related to the displaying friends own/want in the displayed results.  What about having a link saying X number of friends recommend this game and then link to the recommendations page for that game?  I like reading actual player feedback within Steam instead of opening up a browser and searching reviews. It's just easier and I know my friends' tastes and typical opinions better than the majority of online reviewers. 

Oh, thought of something related to the displaying friends own/want in the displayed results. What about having a link saying X number of friends recommend this game and then link to the recommendations page for that game? I like reading actual player feedback within Steam instead of opening up a browser and searching reviews. It's just easier and I know my friends' tastes and typical opinions better than the majority of online reviewers.
This should be possible to make into another optional tag, the data is already being pulled in the API request so it should be pretty easy to do.

Oh my, you have a titanic task if you want to add it all manually. If you think there's any way we could contribute with at least a few entries, I think I could do it if it's not too difficult. For example I could add a new pairing when I check a game and it seems like it's not done yet. Not too many but maybe a few daily?
Titanic task indeed. I added about 200 more database entries today. Kind of tedious but you should start seeing this info pop up on more and more store pages in the next few weeks. :)

Enhanced Steam for Firefox version 4.2 has just been reviewed and approved by Mozilla.

This version includes updated features that previously were only available in the Google Chrome version. This release brings the Firefox version closer to being "feature complete" with the Chrome version.

If you encounter any issues with this release, please let me know!

Hey jshackles, thanks for your continued dedication to this project. I know a lot of people use this now and are very pleased with your efforts. Concerning the Firefox version, will we ever get the ability to set as many settings as in the Chrome version? I love how the Chrome version allows us to basically choose to turn on/off any feature we want. The Firefox version, though, even the latest (4.2), has only a handful of options in comparison. Is there a technical limitation to allowing certain options to be toggled in Firefox?

Hey jshackles, thanks for your continued dedication to this project. I know a lot of people use this now and are very pleased with your efforts. Concerning the Firefox version, will we ever get the ability to set as many settings as in the Chrome version? I love how the Chrome version allows us to basically choose to turn on/off any feature we want. The Firefox version, though, even the latest (4.2), has only a handful of options in comparison. Is there a technical limitation to allowing certain options to be toggled in Firefox?
ES for Firefox is currently using Firefox's "Simple-Prefs" module that gives you a nice interface to set/save/store options, but doesn't have the same capabilities of the custom-built Chrome options page I've made. Essentially each setting has to be on it's own line. The Chrome version has almost 100 individual settings now - so they're put in different tabs and some (like highlight toggle / highlight color) are put onto a single line that makes logical sense. If I put all of these settings onto the Firefox options page it would be VERY long.

I believe it's possible in Firefox to use a custom page like this for settings, but it can't interact in a way that people would expect it to. From a user standpoint they would click "Options" on the addon page and there would be a link there saying something like "Click here to open the options page". There are several open tickets with Mozilla for users requesting access to control what happens, programmatically, when a user clicks "Options" so they can be directed to a custom options page seamlessly (similar to how Chrome and others do this).

TL;DR: I'm looking into a way of directly porting Chrome's options page over to Firefox, but there doesn't seem to be a good way to make it happen yet without causing user confusion.

Maybe you could do something along the lines of checking free to play games for two values: is it installed and have you played it? If so, then mark it as owned. Or just need one of the two to highlight?

Maybe you could do something along the lines of checking free to play games for two values: is it installed and have you played it? If so, then mark it as owned. Or just need one of the two to highlight?
While I agree that would be ideal, the issue comes down to processing time. To evaluate the conditions you mentioned would require 1 API request and 1 HTTP request. If you were browsing the Free To Play storefront, that would be a lot of moving data and thus a lot of time to evaluate each game.

Interestingly enough, Valve considers all F2P games "owned" by default. But when you use the API to find out how many of your friends "own" a F2P game, it returns only the number of people who have played it or own DLC for it.

zbgItZs.png

While I agree that would be ideal, the issue comes down to processing time. To evaluate the conditions you mentioned would require 1 API request and 1 HTTP request. If you were browsing the Free To Play storefront, that would be a lot of moving data and thus a lot of time to evaluate each game.

Interestingly enough, Valve considers all F2P games "owned" by default. But when you use the API to find out how many of your friends "own" a F2P game, it returns only the number of people who have played it or own DLC for it.
Well, couldn't you keep a local data array of the free to play games the current user plays/owns? That way the user doesn't need to update it every page they look at and it would only need to be updated maybe once a week or so.

Also, I'm digging the recommendation page link. :D

Today I'm working on setting up "endless scrolling" of the search results pages.  Basically, when you scroll to the bottom of the search page, Enhanced Steam will pull the next page worth of results and put them on the same page, so you can keep scrolling.  

It's going to take a lot of work to get done correctly and it's pretty crude at the moment, but I think it'll be a great upcoming feature.

Today I'm working on setting up "endless scrolling" of the search results pages. Basically, when you scroll to the bottom of the search page, Enhanced Steam will pull the next page worth of results and put them on the same page, so you can keep scrolling.

It's going to take a lot of work to get done correctly and it's pretty crude at the moment, but I think it'll be a great upcoming feature.
That sounds pretty awesome! Those relatively short list views during Specials searches are annoying, but it never crossed my mind that it could be improved. Kudos.

This is minor thing really but it looks like when Valve puts a sale price on DLC on the big list on the base game's page the % off covers over Enhanced Steam's list of how many friends own the item and the Coupon box gets pushed down and not visible by the sale price.

8teh.jpg

This is from the Train Simulator (aka Railworks) 2014 DLC list by the way.

This is minor thing really but it looks like when Valve puts a sale price on DLC on the big list on the base game's page the % off covers over Enhanced Steam's list of how many friends own the item and the Coupon box gets pushed down and not visible by the sale price.

8teh.jpg

This is from the Train Simulator (aka Railworks) 2014 DLC list by the way.
You can't use a coupon if a game is on sale anyway, correct? It almost looks like a purple underline once it's covered up, which actually works pretty well, in my eyes. The "# own" being covered up is legit, though.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'll look into it. What's happening here is that it's getting the reference point for tags from the first element and assuming that each subsequent element is in approximately the same place. Obviously this isn't true in all cases, such as when some (but not all) DLC is on sale.

You can't use a coupon if a game is on sale anyway, correct? It almost looks like a purple underline once it's covered up, which actually works pretty well, in my eyes. The "# own" being covered up is legit, though.
It depends on the coupon - some can be stacked with discounts, but most can't be.

FEATURE REQUEST!

I would love to be able to edit my recommendations and screenshot captions. I have quite a few recommendations posted that have typos and spelling errors and the only option I have is to delete it and write it again. I suppose a simple copy/paste would be easy, but it's just one of those things that baffles me as to why I can't just simply go in and edit those errors out. Would this be difficult to do?

Don't know if you missed an earlier post of mine about adding an extra community profile link to astats.nl. This achievements stats site is pretty fast and I use it above all others.

Look at your own stats : http://astats.astats.nl//astats/User_Info.php?steamID64=76561198040672342, link format is pretty easy. A user doesn't need to register also.

Oh, and really looking forward to the endless scrolling feature! :)
That site looks pretty cool, I'll look into adding a link but it probably won't be there in time for 4.8's release (soon!)

Here is a video I made that showcases the endless scrolling, combined with "hide games you own":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbpT7lkKu_Q

FEATURE REQUEST!

I would love to be able to edit my recommendations and screenshot captions. I have quite a few recommendations posted that have typos and spelling errors and the only option I have is to delete it and write it again. I suppose a simple copy/paste would be easy, but it's just one of those things that baffles me as to why I can't just simply go in and edit those errors out. Would this be difficult to do?
It'd actually be pretty difficult for Enhanced Steam to pull off. Anything that you want to be seen by other users would have to a) be saved on my server and b) only be accessible to other people using Enhanced Steam. While not impossible, it's probably easiest for now to copy/delete/paste. :(

Until I can get hired by Valve. That's the kind of stuff I would love to spend my days fixing.

It'd actually be pretty difficult for Enhanced Steam to pull off. Anything that you want to be seen by other users would have to a) be saved on my server and b) only be accessible to other people using Enhanced Steam. While not impossible, it's probably easiest for now to copy/delete/paste. :(

Until I can get hired by Valve. That's the kind of stuff I would love to spend my days fixing.
Ah well, that's ok. Copy/Paste/Delete will have to suffice for now. Thanks for all your hard work jshaq!

FEATURE REQUEST!

This is something I've been wanting too. I still don't understand why you can't edit recommendations, but I guess I will have to keep copying it as well (I use wordcounter.net for spell/grammar checking).

Just one more reason Valve needs to hurry up and hire someone that will actually get stuff done within our lifespans ;)

This is something I've been wanting too. I still don't understand why you can't edit recommendations, but I guess I will have to keep copying it as well (I use wordcounter.net for spell/grammar checking).

Just one more reason Valve needs to hurry up and hire someone that will actually get stuff done within our lifespans ;)
I have a Google doc set up just for spell checking purposes with most of my common gaming words added to the dictionary. I prefer it over a MS Word doc.

I just released Enhanced Steam version 4.8

• Added option to exclude Free To Play games from being highlighted
  • Added new tag: "friends recommend" which links to the recommendation page
  • Added "Endless Scrolling" mode for search results pages
  • Added Simplified Chinese translation by Bin Dong
  • Added option to replace account name in header with community name
  • Fixed a bug where "Compare" links were only showing if your language was English
  • Fixed a bug where friends with nicknames would incorrectly show 3 "Compare" links
If you're using the Chrome version of Enhanced Steam, it should update automatically within the next hour.

Hi! Endless scrolling works wonderful! Super-feature to have.

What i now clearly could see is that the sorting on price is incorrect. I think this is Steam's error, but perhaps you could do something about it? The thing is that they sort on original price, and not on actual price. If a game has a discount, that price is not used for sorting.

I can image that the solution is pre-fetching all pages and sorting yourself but that would be a big slow i think, perhaps re-sorting per page would help a bit? Interested to hear your opinion and if it's possible. And when it is in ;-)

I was using your Enhanced Steam extension for Chrome, and I absolutely love it! But it stopped working a while ago.

It won't save my options anymore, once I pick the options that I want and hit Save, nothing changes.

Is there any way to fix this because I would love to use it again! :c

bread's done
Back