Official Final Fantasy III DS thread

Is there any advantage to not dual wielding with a fighter class? (Dragoon, Warrior, Viking, etc.) Seems like the increased attack power more than offsets for the defense hit fom not being able to use a shield. But is there some other advantage to single wielding I'm not getting?

[quote name='wubb']Is there any advantage to not dual wielding with a fighter class? (Dragoon, Warrior, Viking, etc.) Seems like the increased attack power more than offsets for the defense hit fom not being able to use a shield. But is there some other advantage to single wielding I'm not getting?[/quote]
The only advantage to single wielding that I can see is if you want the fighter to get hit, e.g. if you want to use a Viking's Provoke or if you want your Knight to take hits for party members with low HP.

You might also want to equip an Aegis or Onion Shield to prevent negative status effects, but Ribbons can take care of that once you get them.

[quote name='Aberforth']I think so, I don't know for sure. I read on gamefaqs it works. I'll send you the ninja one and we'll see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, haven't played in a while but I'll fire it up tonight after the kids are asleep and Santa's duties are over ;).

Friend code is 4510-5887-2517
I didn't add everyone figuring a lot of you finished it. I PMed everyone I added. If you add me be sure to give me a PM in case I forget to check this thread.

[quote name='NewSc2']w00t! beat the game! it sucks how
you can't save at the end of the game (or buy potions, or rest) until you've finished beating all 6 of the end-game bosses... took me like 5 hours to finish that up (including my grinds).
I would've never picked up the game again if I'd died somewhere in there.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was real bullshit. I would have never picked up the game again either if I died against the final boss or something. That was a real design flaw IMO and should have been fixed. I am lucky I was able to do it all with a low-50s party.

OK, couple of points here.

1) The signatures in the Mognet email:
I'm not a dumbass - the signature thing doesn't show up as an option until you actally have a job level 99 person :lol:. I hadn't sent mail in a while (last time was before anyone was level 99) - it prompts me now if I want to attach a Geomancer or Thief signature. Aberforth sent me a Ninja sig and I found the master blacksmith and she gave me his ultimate weapon. VERY nice, now my Ninja kicks more ass than before. Aberfoth, I sent you the Geomancer. Botticus, I sent you the Thief sig. If anyone else wants these let me know. You can only send out the ones that you personally got to level 99 (thus I can't send out the Ninja one).

2) The dragons
I converted my Geomancer into a white mage before (which she was early on). But I decided to switch her to a Devout. This is nice as you get more high level curing spells. Then I made another run through the Crystal Tower with my 55/56 level chars. Everything is very easy until the dragons show up. This time I got a yellow dragon first. As I understand it, he is the easiest and I hadn't seen one before. I had no problem with him. Then, just a few turns later I got a red dragon. While he was definitely tougher I had little problem this time. The key thing is that I had TWO HEALERS in my party - The Onion Knight and Devout. I pretty much had them healing and using Arise while the Ninja and Black Belt beat on the dragon. The Ninja hits for 8000-9999 every time, and the Black Belt a bit less. Both are only in the 30's in job level.

Really, this made it very easy. The key thing being that I could cast Arise on my Onion Knight with the Devout when the dragon took him out. Before, he would get knocked out and my other chars could only use Phoenix Down which of course only brings him back with minimal HP. Then the dragon would just kill him again before he could cast any cure spells (since the Onion Knight goes last all the fucking time). Then the party would get worn down pretty easily.

So even though I only have 2 fighters (though the Onion Knight can pitch in a bit - he hits for about 3000-4000 on the Red Dragon) it works. After the red dragon I teleported out of there so I could save. I assume now I can make a run for the end without too much trouble. The 1 hour of playing got my char from 55/56 to 58 across the board. My Onion Knight, who has been at that job for probably 10 of the 30 hours of game time so far, is still only at job level 31. The Devout, who I switched an hour ago, is already at 11 :roll:. Oh well... Tomorrow night I'll try for the end. I've got to knock this one out so I can get to some other DS games ;).

And Wubb - A duel-wielding Ninja is a pretty sweet character, especially after I got the master weapon. He tends to go first every time, and nearly always hits for 9999 now. That's enough to take out most monsters in the Crystal Tower (especially if followed up by the Black Belt hitting for 6000-9999).

Hi - loving this game! I recently played FF9 again and was bummed I wouldn't see an oldschool FF in 3d for a while.. but this remake is rocking aplenty! I remember hacking through it on a NES emu with a print out of translation ages ago, ands its plenty sweet to play it again and remember little glimpses and melodies.

If anyone with any master weapons / lvl99 has a second to mognet me, I'd appreciate it a ton!
io if you could mognet me a geomancer email, I'd be much appreciative!
anything else anyone wants to send over, I'd gladly accept too. thanks, and keep enjoying this title!

my mognet friend code is

2577-8546-4492

chris (webmaster of Mysidia from back in the day, if there are any ff webgeeks out there)

Hey Mysidia, I can't just send you mail, you have to add me to your list then connect.

And io do you want anymore signatures? I have dragoon and geomancer (hehe I got it before you sent your mail).

If anyone wants any signatures, so far I have:
Knight, Magus, Sage, Ninja, Dragoon, and Geomancer.

And right now I'm working on Thief, Devout, Summoner, and Onion Knight.

Yeah, I'm planning on mastering every job at least once. Then mastering Onion Knight with every character. Then I want to get Onion Equipment for every character. I'm definately gonna get my 30 bucks worth out of this game!

[quote name='Aberforth']

Yeah, I'm planning on mastering every job at least once. Then mastering Onion Knight with every character. Then I want to get Onion Equipment for every character. I'm definately gonna get my 30 bucks worth out of this game![/QUOTE]

Wow, man, I guess so ;). If I can finish with 35 hours of play I've definitely got my money's worth. After all, I have some little games called Final Fantasy XII and Zelda Twilight Princess I need to play some day. (I've started Zelda but not FF XII - actually, FF III is the first FF I've ever played, and I also have X and X-2, still sealed, in the backlog).

Have you gotten any Onion equipment? The two dragons I fought last night dropped stupid old elixirs ;).

I'm going to try to finish the game tonight.

[quote name='io']Have you gotten any Onion equipment? The two dragons I fought last night dropped stupid old elixirs ;).[/quote]

So far I've only gotten a measly Onion Shield, :cry:. But my plan right now is to just farm those dragons while leveling up my jobs, so I kill two really time consuming birds with 1 stone.

[quote name='Aberforth']Hey Mysidia, I can't just send you mail, you have to add me to your list then connect.

And io do you want anymore signatures? I have dragoon and geomancer (hehe I got it before you sent your mail).

If anyone wants any signatures, so far I have:
Knight, Magus, Sage, Ninja, Dragoon, and Geomancer.

And right now I'm working on Thief, Devout, Summoner, and Onion Knight.

Yeah, I'm planning on mastering every job at least once. Then mastering Onion Knight with every character. Then I want to get Onion Equipment for every character. I'm definately gonna get my 30 bucks worth out of this game![/QUOTE]
you do know onion knight is really worth using only when you are level 90+? Of couse you can just fight low level enemies for job points.

Yes, I am well aware of that. Anyway by the time I'm going to level 3 more Onion Knights all my characters will definately be level 99. I'm just leveling this one to get the ultimate weapon for the Onion Knight.

Edit: 62t have you tried out Onion Knight? They aren't so bad at level 75 if he's the only sword wielding class in your party (so he's using Ultima Weapon and Ragnarok). Sure they're slow but it doesn't matter because you're pretty much not going to die unless you fight the secret boss.

This game definitely worth the $20 I paid for it :)

Hey aberforth I added you..could you send me a Sig?Knight would be fine..or you could just send me a mail hehe so I could start on the Onion Knight and Ultima side quests..

Mysidia I also added you so I could send you mail if you add me on your list

(My friend code is in my Sig)

Can you go to the moghouse real quick and connect because I can't send you anything right now. I think it just needs to confirm we're on each other's friends list.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Yeah, that was real bullshit. I would have never picked up the game again either if I died against the final boss or something. That was a real design flaw IMO and should have been fixed. I am lucky I was able to do it all with a low-50s party.[/QUOTE]

Well, damn, I just went all through the Crystal Tower, into the
mirror, beat all the crystal bosses, all without breaking a sweat. I thought it was going to be really easy. I was about to come on here and say how easy they made it with the auto-healing and mana regen after each of those bosses. I had been saving Elixers all game because I thought there would be this really long stretch at the end where I'd need them.

Then I hit that final boss with that damn partical beam. With the 2 healers I was hanging in there and dealing out a lot of damage but then it reached a point where she kept knocking one or the other healer out every turn, and then when they were busy resurrecting each other, knocked out the 2 fighters. I lasted 4-5 more turns just getting people back to life. Then I was down to one fighter with about 500 health. At that point using a Phoenix Down would be useless as she'd just wipe everyone out the next round. So I rolled the dice and took one more attack with my Ninja. Despite his last 9999 hit, it wasn't enough... Bah... Now I have to do it all over again.

At least it only took 2 hours to get there (that's from the outside save point all the way to the end), and I know exactly how it goes now.

Next time I do the highest level healing spells EACH turn from EACH healer and let the 2 fighters do their thing. I think I attacked with my Onion Knight a few times (thus only healing with the Devout) and didn't always use the highest level healing spells. Still, I had everyone at full health several rounds in. It was just a series of turns where she did partical beam (which hits each char for 1200-2000), lightning (which hurts my fighters for up to 1800), and then a couple of smacks (which hit for several hundred each). With chars only at 2800-3500 HP I couldn't last that long against that for 5-6 turns in a row.

I'm not about to give up the game, I will give it one more shot. After all, this happened repeatedly when I went after the dragons. But damn, it sure would be nice to have a save point at the mirror at least.

I've been finding that the dragons are kind of unbalanced in dropping the Onion Knight equipment. After killing 77 dragons, I have 6 Onion Shields, but only two Onion Gauntlets, and one each of the Armor, Helm, and Sword. I know the Onion Sword only has a 1.5% drop rate, and everything else drops more often, so it makes sense, but still. I just wish I didn't have more shields than I'll ever be able to use.

[quote name='Aberforth']Can you go to the moghouse real quick and connect because I can't send you anything right now. I think it just needs to confirm we're on each other's friends list.[/QUOTE]

how do we confirm were on each other friends list? I just connected to WiFi and cant send a mail to anyone..

[quote name='FlipSide']how do we confirm were on each other friends list? I just connected to WiFi and cant send a mail to anyone..[/quote]when you're both on each other's friends list and you've connected to wifi, it will change the color of your friends' codes.

[quote name='io']Well, damn, I just went all through the Crystal Tower, into the
mirror, beat all the crystal bosses, all without breaking a sweat. I thought it was going to be really easy. I was about to come on here and say how easy they made it with the auto-healing and mana regen after each of those bosses. I had been saving Elixers all game because I thought there would be this really long stretch at the end where I'd need them.

Then I hit that final boss with that damn partical beam. With the 2 healers I was hanging in there and dealing out a lot of damage but then it reached a point where she kept knocking one or the other healer out every turn, and then when they were busy resurrecting each other, knocked out the 2 fighters. I lasted 4-5 more turns just getting people back to life. Then I was down to one fighter with about 500 health. At that point using a Phoenix Down would be useless as she'd just wipe everyone out the next round. So I rolled the dice and took one more attack with my Ninja. Despite his last 9999 hit, it wasn't enough... Bah... Now I have to do it all over again.

At least it only took 2 hours to get there (that's from the outside save point all the way to the end), and I know exactly how it goes now.

Next time I do the highest level healing spells EACH turn from EACH healer and let the 2 fighters do their thing. I think I attacked with my Onion Knight a few times (thus only healing with the Devout) and didn't always use the highest level healing spells. Still, I had everyone at full health several rounds in. It was just a series of turns where she did partical beam (which hits each char for 1200-2000), lightning (which hurts my fighters for up to 1800), and then a couple of smacks (which hit for several hundred each). With chars only at 2800-3500 HP I couldn't last that long against that for 5-6 turns in a row.

I'm not about to give up the game, I will give it one more shot. After all, this happened repeatedly when I went after the dragons. But damn, it sure would be nice to have a save point at the mirror at least.[/QUOTE]

This is kind of the only place that the guide really came in handy. Only click on the following if you want to see the recommended FAQ job structure and boss strategy for the last boss.

Small hint:
It involves healers, ninjas, and shirukens

Larger explanation:
Because I'd been grinding in the Crystal area for 4 hours, I REALLY didn't want to die. FAQs recommend you changing to 2 Ninjas and having at least 10 shirukens. I changed my Summoner to a Sage, and Knight to a Ninja, and went in. 2 Ninjas threw round after round of Shirukens, for 8k - 9999. Sage used an offensive spell first, and then I went around doing Curaga/Curaja (I only had one spell of each, stupid me, so I had to split them between my Devout and Sage).

Anyway, the boss actually wasn't that tough for me. She has probably 70-80k life, compared to the crystal bosses having 99,999HP. The only thing is you have to be constantly healing with the two other guys. She hits 4 hits per round, and you better have equipped all the Ribbons. The hits don't all come at the same time, though, so after one particle beam wave, a Curaga or Curaja hits for life, and then her second wave comes around, and the 2nd healing wave comes again. I sent all guys to the back row (important because Throwing doesn't lose effectiveness in the back), and I killed her in 3-4 rounds.

Oh and I hope you're not targetting her tentacles.

Having explained all that, though, she still wasn't very difficult.

My Ninja hits for 9999 WITHOUT using the damn shurikens. You know, I have a bunch of those and completely forgot about them. The crystal bosses were so damned easy I wasn't expecting much trouble. If she only has the HP you say, then I was close to beating her. Oh well...

I tried the 2 waves of healing like the guide says - it all sounds nice, but it just didn't work for me on that unlucky stretch of 4-5 rounds. My first healer would invariably heal BEFORE she did much damage, then the second was too little too late. Or I'd be wasting a curaja when 3 of 4 chars were unhurt and one was completely dead (because she chose to pound on just him :bomb:).

I didn't even know it was possible to target her "tentacles". I just clicked right through to whatever it auto-targetted. Maybe this was my problem? I get so damn bored attacking the same creatures over and over on the way in there that I got into auto-mode - just click attack, first target, for all chars. Since one round usually does it, it was never a concern. Although I was more careful with spells I still just auto-attacked (since I thought there was only one thing to attack). Hmmm....

I'm basically following the guide by default, except that I have a Black Belt instead of a second Ninja. He is a bit less useful, but still hits for 5-8k. Like I said, if she is really just 70-80k or so, I must have had her down under 10K for sure. Well damn...

And what does she do if you don't have the ribbons? The ribbons were better headgear than what I had on 3 of my 4 chars anyway, and it seemed rather obvious with those being the only items you find that you'd better use them :lol:. I took the defense hit and even put one on my Onion Knight.

[quote name='NewSc2']This is kind of the only place that the guide really came in handy. Only click on the following if you want to see the recommended FAQ job structure and boss strategy for the last boss.

Small hint:
It involves healers, ninjas, and shirukens

Larger explanation:
Because I'd been grinding in the Crystal area for 4 hours, I REALLY didn't want to die. FAQs recommend you changing to 2 Ninjas and having at least 10 shirukens. I changed my Summoner to a Sage, and Knight to a Ninja, and went in. 2 Ninjas threw round after round of Shirukens, for 8k - 9999. Sage used an offensive spell first, and then I went around doing Curaga/Curaja (I only had one spell of each, stupid me, so I had to split them between my Devout and Sage).

Anyway, the boss actually wasn't that tough for me. She has probably 70-80k life, compared to the crystal bosses having 99,999HP. The only thing is you have to be constantly healing with the two other guys. She hits 4 hits per round, and you better have equipped all the Ribbons. The hits don't all come at the same time, though, so after one particle beam wave, a Curaga or Curaja hits for life, and then her second wave comes around, and the 2nd healing wave comes again. I sent all guys to the back row (important because Throwing doesn't lose effectiveness in the back), and I killed her in 3-4 rounds.

Oh and I hope you're not targetting her tentacles.

Having explained all that, though, she still wasn't very difficult.[/QUOTE]

How I beat the final boss with ease in the low 50s:
2 Devouts, 2 Ninjas. The ninjas throw Shurikens every round (buyable in Eureka for a fair price). Buy like 15. Attack the main boss only and not the tentacles. With 2 healers the tentacles are not worth your time to kill. The Devouts heal and revive every single turn. Make sure both Devouts have the Full-Life spell or whatever it's called in this game, I can't remember. Also make sure each one has at least Curaga or higher. I didn't buy extra Curajas, so one had Curaja and the other had Curaga, but it worked out since Curaga would heal for full or mostly-full life at my low level. Make sure everyone IS IN THE BACK ROW TO REDUCE DAMAGE. The Shurikens' damage are not affected by being in the back row, so there is no reason to keep the Ninjas up front. That is all I did, and it worked beautifully. I think she has around 120k HP, not 70-80k HP. I threw too many Shurikens for her to only have 70-80k HP. Also, obviously, put Ribbons on everyone. I think one of the attacks, if you don't have Ribbons on, puts a ton of status effects on your characters.

For the last boss, I had 3 dragoons with blood lances and a sage, though I never really used the sage. Who needs healers when you have life-stealing weapons and the jump command?

If anyone's interested I just got my Onion Knight*cough*io*cough*, Devout, and Thief to lvl 99 if you want the weapon. The Onion Knight's "ultimate" weapon isn't as powerful as the Onion Sword though.

[quote name='Aberforth']If anyone's interested I just got my Onion Knight*cough*io*cough*, Devout, and Thief to lvl 99 if you want the weapon. The Onion Knight's "ultimate" weapon isn't as powerful as the Onion Sword though.[/QUOTE]

Sweet, yes, please send the Onion Knight and, more importantly, the Devout. I have a very low-level Devout - the status boost from the ultimate weapon is sure to help quite a bit. I assume the same for the Onion Knight (as I am just using the Ultimate Sword or whatever it is - no Onion Sword for me yet). Then I can make another run. I'll have to remember to put my Ninja in the back row - I only had my Devout there last time. I have to decide if I want to stick with the Black Belt and Onion Knight though. The Black Belt would have to stay front row or be useless. I have a feeling he might get killed repeatedly but I can probably recover from that if my Ninja stays in it.

[quote name='Aberforth']If anyone's interested I just got my Onion Knight*cough*io*cough*, Devout, and Thief to lvl 99 if you want the weapon. The Onion Knight's "ultimate" weapon isn't as powerful as the Onion Sword though.[/QUOTE]

Hey, is that offer still good?

I'm also still looking to exchange mail with someone. I added everyone a while ago but I think everyone had already finished with the game.

My code is 4424-6791-5618. PM me if you add me so I can do the same.

stupid question but I am 5 hours in and I am really enjoying it but how do I unlock further job classes? Right now, I got the default 6.

to earn more classes, you need to get the 4 crystals through out the game
wind crystal, fire crystal, water crystal, earth crystal(last part of the game)...

can anyone help me
i want to get the onion knight as well and the onion sword/ultima?
my FC is
1847 6901 9594

keithp, Aberforth I've added you both of you guys

[quote name='bisquit']Hey, is that offer still good?[/quote] Of course it's still good, but specify which ones you want and in what order unless it's just one. And don't forget to confirm your newly entered friend codes;).

[quote name='Aberforth']Of course it's still good, but specify which ones you want and in what order unless it's just one. And don't forget to confirm your newly entered friend codes;).[/QUOTE]

Cool. In order the Onion Knight then devout. here's my code:
3823-3964-4044
thanks

I added you guys: bisquit, darkillusion, and bisquit as well as almost everyone who posted theirs before. I have a lvl 99 geomancer and that's about it.

Mine is 0902-8025-5461

Aberforth - you're awesome ! You sent me so many ! I had a plane flight on Tuesday, so that was the last time I got to sit down and play... Tomorrow I'm on a bus to NYC and can use all the sweet weapons you sent me. I appreciate it a TON! Happy new year, and thanks for helping me out. I'll be sure to spread the love if I get any classes to Lvl 99

thanks again!
chris

I have a L99 monk if anyone wants..but i cant figure how to attach it to mail..Im still confused with the whole Mognet thingie..I mean I add a person and the person adds me, we both connect but the name is still grayed out..

Aberforth - you sent Thief, Magus, Dragoon, Geomancer, and Knight.

I sent you a flood of 7 msgs, so I could go hunting for the blacksmith, and get my ass wooped in the secret dungeon.

; 0

chris

I am at the point where you first sail with the enterprise. I encountered a random battle while sailing and my game froze. Has anyone else had similar game freezing problems?

I just got the Nautilis.. I haven't had the opportunity to send messages to any actual humans yet... so I would be very grateful to anyone who would be willing to add me and send me messages so I can get Onion Knight, (and any sigs people would be willing to send).

Also, if anyone wants my help to GET messages, I'm happy to help - please just PM me your friend code. and I'll add you and send a message when i see it.

Thanks to anyone willing to help!

My FFIII Friend Code: 2792-5699-1660

Edit: I added and PMed most of the people in the most recent 5 or 6 pages, except IO, who has a full box. I'm thinking that I might level up some obscure class.. like ranger or scholor in order to mix it up a bit, lots of ninjas and devouts around!

[quote name='BattleChicken']

Edit: I added and PMed most of the people in the most recent 5 or 6 pages, except IO, who has a full box. I'm thinking that I might level up some obscure class.. like ranger or scholor in order to mix it up a bit, lots of ninjas and devouts around![/QUOTE]

Sorry - cleared some space. If it is just about FF III friend code though I can just get it from your post and will add it. Will try to add everyone from the recent pages next time I play which might be tonight.

[quote name='Quarkus']I am at the point where you first sail with the enterprise. I encountered a random battle while sailing and my game froze. Has anyone else had similar game freezing problems?[/quote]

Not me. Game has been running great even after I left it on in stanby for a few days.

It's been a great game so far (currently at the Gnome village). It's quite tough, a quality that some of the other recent FFs have been lacking.

I'm interested in meeting the requirements for the WFC secrets. My friend code is:
5240-7404-5678

I just started sending e mails to the many people who added me (thanks all, you're awesome!). I didn't know there was a 1 message per hour limit for e mails via Nin WFC though.

I wouldn't at all be opposed if someone would send me the sig for devout, blackbelt, geomancer, knight, dragoon, and/or ninja if the mood strikes you!
If i'm missing something, and sending sigs takes more than just the time to send the message, never mind about it -- but it sounds like it can be sent as many times as you want, to as many people as you want for free. If thats wrong let me know.

I've sent 3 messages so far to folks who added me, the 1 per hour limit makes it a bit more difficult to get back to everyone, but i'm working on it.

bread's done
Back