OFFICIAL HALO 2 TOPIC- REVIEWS ARE IN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sj41

CAGiversary!
IGN REVIEW: http://xbox.ign.com/articles/557/557509p1.html

Just like the Fable official thread, keep as much disscusion as possible in this thread. Post new reviews from major magazines and websites, discuss the new features that Halo 2 brings, discuss the T.V. shows about Halo 2, whatever. Just keep it to discussion about Halo 2. :)

Please, do not post any spoilers in this thread, since the "story" really shouldn't be ruined. :wink:

Hope that this will work out better rather than having so many threads for this game.

[quote name='sj41']Hope that this will work out better rather than having so many threads for this game.[/quote]

I know I'll miss seeing 35 new threads for Halo 2 every day. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Heh.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='sj41']Hope that this will work out better rather than having so many threads for this game.[/quote]

I know I'll miss seeing 35 new threads for Halo 2 every day. Thanks for ruining it for me.

Heh.[/quote]Don't worry. I'm sure this thread won't work and everyone will just make their own threads about Halo 2. :wink:

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='sj41']Hope that this will work out better rather than having so many threads for this game.[/quote]

Heh.[/quote]

I'm beginning to think that your searching for said threads. I mean if you hate them so much why do you feel it necessary to post in every single one of them?

Well, since we're in the "official" thread, here's a question for everyone I've been wanting to ask :

The original Halo worked in multiplayer because there was a huge gap between the skilled, elite players and newbies. But if you just put some time into the game you could go from shitty to good within a couple of weeks. Two big things made a person good or not good : fantastic aim and intelligent use of grenades.

But in Halo 2 they've included things like lock-on rocket launchers and duel wielding and one hit, kill plasma swords. They've also toned down the power of the pistol, which was really the headshot weapon that separated the good from the bad.

This seems to me to take the focus away from skill to even everyone out. I understand strategies will form after the game has been out a while, but I want to know what everyone thinks about this. Do you think there will be less grenade use because of duel wielding? Do you think newbies will be getting cheap kills on you because of plasma swords and lock-on rockets?

I think I'm going to stick with what worked for me in the original Halo for a bit - heavy grenade use, hit and run tactics, and lots of melee hits. But I'm sure I'll get owned by newbies with plasma swords.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'm beginning to think that your searching for said threads. I mean if you hate them so much why do you feel it necessary to post in every single one of them?[/quote]

Because this is a forum and in different threads people say different things. A Halo 2 thread doesnt automatically negate me wanting to reply to something someone said in there. Now, shut up and get off my dick, monkey.

[quote name='mmn']Now, shut up and get off my dick, monkey.[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to cut into your "mommy and me" time....

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='mmn']Now, shut up and get off my dick, monkey.[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to cut into your "mommy and me" time....[/quote]

Actually, you were cutting into the "YOUR mommy and me" time.

Somebody tell me if I'm wrong. Does every weapon now have a 2x zoom because Master Chief has built in binoculars? I heard that a while ago and never found out if it was confirmed.

Mmn, I use the pistol alot also, and I'm kind of glad it's a bit toned down. I liked using it, but it simply was just too good. I'm looking forward to dual weilding in this game just to try it out and possibly in campaign mode. In multiplayer I think I'll stick with one gun and a grenade. I do think alot of noobs will get cheap kills with the plasma sword and auto aim rocket launcher. My thinking is I'm staying the hell away from anyone who has one of those damn swords. You're right though, I'm sure new strategies will be thought up and the game will still be great.

And thank you sj41 for making an official thread. I'm also so fucking sick of all these Halo 2 threads.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='mmn']Now, shut up and get off my dick, monkey.[/quote]

Sorry, didn't mean to cut into your "mommy and me" time....[/quote]

Actually, you were cutting into the "YOUR mommy and me" time.[/quote]

Whoa, you REALLY got me there! :roll:

[quote name='Trakan']Somebody tell me if I'm wrong. Does every weapon now have a 2x zoom because Master Chief has built in binoculars? I heard that a while ago and never found out if it was confirmed.

Mmn, I use the pistol alot also, and I'm kind of glad it's a bit toned down. I liked using it, but it simply was just too good. I'm looking forward to dual weilding in this game just to try it out and possibly in campaign mode. In multiplayer I think I'll stick with one gun and a grenade. I do think alot of noobs will get cheap kills with the plasma sword and auto aim rocket launcher. My thinking is I'm staying the hell away from anyone who has one of those damn swords. You're right though, I'm sure new strategies will be thought up and the game will still be great.

And thank you sj41 for making an official thread. I'm also so shaq-fuing sick of all these Halo 2 threads.[/quote]

Hopefully they made the sword short enough so that you have to be pretty close up to use it so you can have more time to kill someone before they get in close.

Every person who knew the pistol's usefulness in the first has one priority for Halo 2: learn the Battle Rifle. I've always been a distance player, so I'm not too concerneed about the Plasma Sword. It's going to be great early on because people wiith the Sword will be so impatient that I know the majority of them will interrupt a firefight in the hopes of getting a melee kill. That's when the seasoned pistol (or BR) players will take them out.

As for the lock-on rockets, I am a bit perturbed by this. I had become pretty good at guessing the proper lead for difficult rocket shots. Not only does this nix all the hard work I put into learning that by giving newbies the same ability off the bat, but if I do guess the lead right, the rocket may start tracking and throw it off the course of what I knew would have been a hit. As for recieving rockets, I've always stayed out of vehicles (as it basically puts a big "Shoot Me!" sign over your head), so I'm not too worried about that. It's hard to dodge a rocket on foot anyways, so nothing's really changed there.

[quote name='RedvsBlue'][quote name='Trakan']Somebody tell me if I'm wrong. Does every weapon now have a 2x zoom because Master Chief has built in binoculars? I heard that a while ago and never found out if it was confirmed.

And thank you sj41 for making an official thread. I'm also so shaq-fuing sick of all these Halo 2 threads.[/quote]

Hopefully they made the sword short enough so that you have to be pretty close up to use it so you can have more time to kill someone before they get in close.[/quote]

The sword really isn't all that short. It will be easy to combat them though. Just fight them from a distance.

I've got an idea.......everyone find a Halo 2 thread and post in it and see if we can have ALL halo2 threads on the "latest posts area". We could take over the site just for a minute or two. That would really piss all the haters off. ok 123 go!

[quote name='Goodtone']I've got an idea.......everyone find a Halo 2 thread and post in it and see if we can have ALL halo2 threads on the "latest posts area". We could take over the site just for a minute or two. That would really piss all the haters off. ok 123 go![/quote]I'm doing my share with this thread. :wink:

Hopefully the weapons will have a nice balance and the things that they changed will work out. Only a couple more days to see...

I have played the game a fair amount and maybe some of the concerns about weaponry can be settled, some can't, here's what I think .. also, if you've played and find something I screwed up on, forgive me, I playe d alot more single player than multiplayer, and it's different.

Some of the dual-wielding combos are absolutely horrid. I mean, it can give you more firepower, but accuracy is lower, and you can't use grenades. This makes it a little more difficult, because the problem with the lack of grenades can be a time consuming effort -- you'll see the perfect moment to drop a grenade, but you have to drop your weapon before you can throw it. By then it's too late.

The Magnum is toned down a lot, but it's still an okay weapon, especially if you pair it with something useful like a plasma weapon. The real kicker is the Battle Rifle, which is easily the new "pistol" and most player's weapon of choice. Accuracy is good, it has a good zoom feature, and it's fairly powerful as well.

The Energy Sword may pose a threat if you don't see someone coming. The lunge is not quite as long as you'd think, and I have seen more than one how it can ruin you. For example, you charge at someone planning to lunge, but they're just out of reach -- they lob a plasma grenade at you and you're doomed. The lunge aiming has to be fairly accurate, and so long as you're moving away and firing you shouldn't have any problem taking down the other person so long as they hadn't snuck up on you (or ran into you around a corner). Also, the regular melee does not kill in one hit, it actually takes 2 - 3 hits sometimes (at least it did in Campaign mode on Heroic difficult, even on Grunts - can't remember multiplayer). Also, I know in Campaign the Energy Sword will fade away after so much time, like the Overshield would in Halo. I don't remember if that applies for multiplayer.

The rocket launcher's lock-on feature: you have to keep the targeting reticle focused on the target, plus it only works on vehicles. If a vehicles goes over a bump, or behind a hill while you're targeting, you're out of luck because if it's out of sight, you lose the homing feature. It's more useful when the target is closer to you, although anyone dumb enough to charge a person who is holding a rocket launcher will probably be blown to bits anyway.

Banshees are especially in trouble against this feature, but luckily they have a way to escape -- they have barrell rolls and backflips and such, which you can perform by pressing A and the direction you want to roll/flip. This can quickly dodge an incoming rocket (if you're lucky enough to see it).

Er .. I think that was all, right? Oh, right the zoom. Yeah, there's a zoom feature on everything, I think. But the targeting reticle is no longer there, just the "border" of MC's binoculars. What I mean is, the "greyed out" area on the edge of the screen remains, but there's no way to know if you're hitting the enemy. And it's only 2x zoom. However, even though the reticle is gone, it's still really easy to pluck off a head shot, at least for me.

Anyway that's all I have to say for now, lol. Like I said, I did a lot more Campaign than multiplayer, because we only had one Xbox to play it on. Some of the rules are different in multiplayer, but from what I remember that's how it goes. Also, don't rule out the plethora of other weapons, because there's honestly more than I can remember at the moment.

[quote name='zewone'][quote name='Kaijufan']Am I the only one still angry at Bungie for not having multiplayer bots?[/quote]

Yes, because I have Live. :wink:[/quote]
:x
You can’t possibly imagine how much I want a broadband internet connection so I can play Halo 2 on Live. Of course, Bungie has to be stupid and not create bots for Halo 2, when they could, and should have.

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='Kaijufan']Am I the only one still angry at Bungie for not having multiplayer bots?[/quote]

You can’t possibly imagine how much I want a broadband internet connection so I can play Halo 2 on Live. Of course, Bungie has to be stupid and not create bots for Halo 2, when they could, and should have.[/quote]

I'm getting pretty tired of seeing people complain about a lack of bots. Nobody gives a skippy hell about bots besides non Live players. Not having bots is more of an incentive to sign up for XBL, which is what MS wants. You don't have broadband - too bad. Instead of blaming Bungie for not putting in a feature very few people wanted, you should move to a real town that has a population of more than 250.

[quote name='mmn'][quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='zewone'][quote name='Kaijufan']Am I the only one still angry at Bungie for not having multiplayer bots?[/quote]

You can’t possibly imagine how much I want a broadband internet connection so I can play Halo 2 on Live. Of course, Bungie has to be stupid and not create bots for Halo 2, when they could, and should have.[/quote]
I'm getting pretty tired of seeing people complain about a lack of bots. Nobody gives a skippy hell about bots besides non Live players. Not having bots is more of an incentive to sign up for XBL, which is what MS wants. You don't have broadband - too bad. Instead of blaming Bungie for not putting in a feature very few people wanted, you should move to a real town that has a population of more than 250.[/quote]
Im tired of seeing people who think that Halo 2 should not to have bots. Not everyone can afford broadband. It costs about $40 a month where I live for the slowest connection speed.
Bots are a feature that lots of people wanted. The people who dont have Live outnumber the people who do have Xbox Live many times over. Bots are even good for LAN parties when you have less then 16 people.
Bungie could have hired two or three extra AI programmers and had them work on bots for three years. Im sure that in three years (which is double the development time for most games) some amazing bot AI could have been produced. And Bungie is going to make so much off of Halo 2 that adding a few extra employees wouldn't have hurt their profits very much. If anything I would think that having bots would sell even more copies of Halo 2. Granted, not very many more copies, but Im sure that when some people heard that their would be no mulitplayer AI in Halo 2 they decided to skip it, or wait for a price drop.
Thanks Bungie for not adding something that would increase Halo 2's replayability for many, many people. And thanks Micro$oft, because Im willing to bet they had some say it the issue of bots.

I think my local EB broke street on the soundtrack. Maybe not. The site says they're shipping, I bought one B&M today, but amazon.com still says 9/9.

[quote name='Scorch']I think my local EB broke street on the soundtrack. Maybe not. The site says they're shipping, I bought one B&M today, but amazon.com still says 9/9.[/quote]Is it good? I listened to the first song from Breaking Benjamin (I think) and it was very good. :)

The BB song is great. The rest of the soundtrack is okay. Track #9 is a techno song, which I kinda "WHAT THE fuck?!"-ed at. The Incubus "movement of the odyssey" are long, I haven't even listened to it yet. The only true songs on there are "Blow Me Away" by Breaking Benjamin, "Follow" by Incubus and "Connected" by Hoobastank. I've just listened to like tracks 1 through 9, and it was pretty good. Worth the purchase.. but that track 9.. so fucking random and out of place.

But the first track, the halo main theme "Mjolnir Mix" is AWESOME. The guitar in the main theme = ++

I heard part of the Breaking Benjamin one on Making the Game last night and thought it was good. I didn't like the Incubus one at all, but we'll see how it is when playing the game. I like that the music is in game and not just cut scenes.

Not everyone can afford broadband. It costs about $40 a month where I live for the slowest connection speed.

And that's Microsoft's fault HOW, exactly? Find a way to get more money.

Bots are a feature that lots of people wanted.

Could've fooled me. I only see the same 3 or 4 people bitching about it on these forums.

The people who dont have Live outnumber the people who do have Xbox Live many times over.

Which is something Microsoft wants to change. Trust me, Halo 2 will take care of most of that problem.

Bots are even good for LAN parties when you have less then 16 people.

No, they aren't. Part of the fun of LAN parties is talking shit to your friends. Not only can you NOT talk shit if you kill a friggin' bot but if that's how you get a win your friends will just give you a hard time - "oh, I see, you had to kill the BOT to win the game huh? Real good work man".

Bots are probably the last thing people at a LAN party think about.

Bungie could have hired two or three extra AI programmers and had them work on bots for three years.

Bungie could've added bots with the people they had in three years. Lack of manpower isn't the reason they left out bots.

And Bungie is going to make so much off of Halo 2 that adding a few extra employees wouldn't have hurt their profits very much.

Dude, Bungie is owned by the one of (if not THE) richest company in the world. Chances are if they needed two extra people they would've got them. I don't think "hurting profits" had anything to do with their decision not to add bots.

If anything I would think that having bots would sell even more copies of Halo 2.

Not many people care about bots. You may not believe me, but get off the internet and away from video game nerds and talk to people in real life for a minute. Most will tell you they don't give a crap about bots at all.

Thanks Bungie for not adding something that would increase Halo 2's replayability for many, many people. And thanks Micro$oft, because Im willing to bet they had some say it the issue of bots.

Honestly I don't get why you love bots so much. On the few FPS games I've owned which had them, playing bots got old quick.

But seriously man, Halo 2 doesn't have bots, you're still going to get the game, so maybe you should just get over it and enjoy whats there.

Not everyone can afford broadband. It costs about $40 a month where I live for the slowest connection speed.

And that's Microsoft's fault HOW, exactly? Find a way to get more money.
I never said it was Microsoft's fault. I was just saying that broadband is a lot of money here, and right now I cant afford it. I hate it when a company has no competition.

Bots are a feature that lots of people wanted.
Could've fooled me. I only see the same 3 or 4 people bitching about it on these forums.
I would guess that every single person that doesn't have Xbox Live would and plans on buying Halo 2 at some point wants bots in it. I would be willing to bet that even some of the people with broadband that are getting Halo 2 want bots.

The people who dont have Live outnumber the people who do have Xbox Live many times over.

Which is something Microsoft wants to change. Trust me, Halo 2 will take care of most of that problem.
I doubt Halo 2 will sell millions of Xbox live subscriptions.

Bots are even good for LAN parties when you have less then 16 people.

No, they aren't. Part of the fun of LAN parties is talking shit to your friends. Not only can you NOT talk shit if you kill a friggin' bot but if that's how you get a win your friends will just give you a hard time - "oh, I see, you had to kill the BOT to win the game huh? Real good work man".

Bots are probably the last thing people at a LAN party think about.
Actually, if its a small LAN party having bots can be a great way to play the big maps. You dont always have to use them, but in some games they would be a good addition.

Bungie could have hired two or three extra AI programmers and had them work on bots for three years.

Bungie could've added bots with the people they had in three years. Lack of manpower isn't the reason they left out bots.
I agree with you. I bet that Microsoft told Bungie not to have bots. Its too bad, because I bet that Bungie could have made some really good bots in three years time.
And Bungie is going to make so much off of Halo 2 that adding a few extra employees wouldn't have hurt their profits very much.

Dude, Bungie is owned by the one of (if not THE) richest company in the world. Chances are if they needed two extra people they would've got them. I don't think "hurting profits" had anything to do with their decision not to add bots.
I agree.

If anything I would think that having bots would sell even more copies of Halo 2.

Not many people care about bots. You may not believe me, but get off the internet and away from video game nerds and talk to people in real life for a minute. Most will tell you they don't give a crap about bots at all.
I think that if you ask people buying Halo 2 if they want bots or not in the game, Im sure some of them wouldn't know what they were. :) After they found out, I bet every one of them without high speed internet would want bots, and even some with high speed internet would want bots.

Honestly I don't get why you love bots so much. On the few FPS games I've owned which had them, playing bots got old quick.
Ive owned UT2k4 since a few days after it came out and I still play onslaught with the bots. I played aganist the bots for months in Perfect Dark. Ive been playing a lot of matches vs bots in the Xbox version of CS since I got it for $10. I used to invite a few people over to my house to play Timesplitters 1&2 multiplayer aganist bots. If you dont have broadband bots dont get old if they are done well.

But seriously man, Halo 2 doesn't have bots, you're still going to get the game, so maybe you should just get over it and enjoy whats there.
Im still going to buy it and enjoy it, but I think not having bots in Halo 2 is a valid complaint, and one that should be addressed.

you should move to a real town that has a population of more than 250.
In the seven villages of Amana there are around 2000 people, but lots of them are so old they dont own a computer. :)

BTW, sorry about the sloppy quoting.

Halo 2 will sell millions of subs to Xbox Live. I think the bottom line is, I would've like bots to be in the game so I could play multiplayer by myself, but there's not, so it's no big deal. It would have been good if the game had them, but they don't, so what can we do about it.

[quote name='Trakan']Halo 2 will sell millions of subs to Xbox Live. I think the bottom line is, I would've like bots to be in the game so I could play multiplayer by myself, but there's not, so it's no big deal. It would have been good if the game had them, but they don't, so what can we do about it.[/quote]
I doubt it will sell millions of subs to Xbox Live. I bet that most of the people who are going to be playing Halo 2 on Live allready are members of Xbox Live. On page 25 of the December 04 OXM it says
Halo Effect: Our expert staff (actually, our Magic 8 Ball) predicts that Halo 2 will boost Xbox Live membership to 1.5 million by March 2005.

so what would be the use of them and why do some people care and some people don't care that they are included in the game?

[quote name='Kaijufan'][quote name='Trakan']Halo 2 will sell millions of subs to Xbox Live. I think the bottom line is, I would've like bots to be in the game so I could play multiplayer by myself, but there's not, so it's no big deal. It would have been good if the game had them, but they don't, so what can we do about it.[/quote]
I doubt it will sell millions of subs to Xbox Live. I bet that most of the people who are going to be playing Halo 2 on Live allready are members of Xbox Live. On page 25 of the December 04 OXM it says
Halo Effect: Our expert staff (actually, our Magic 8 Ball) predicts that Halo 2 will boost Xbox Live membership to 1.5 million by March 2005.
[/quote]

I guess I could be exaggerating a little. I think it will sell alot of Live subs and Xbox consoles though.

Who else hates CaseyRaback for starting ANOTHER Official Halo 2 topic? He's stealing my thunder. :wink:

Anyways, Casey, you can lock this one I guess since there's no need for 2 and you stickied yours anyways. :)

[quote name='sj41']Who else hates CaseyRaback for starting ANOTHER Official Halo 2 topic? He's stealing my thunder. :wink:

Anyways, Casey, you can lock this one I guess since there's no need for 2 and you stickied yours anyways. :)[/quote]

sorry SJ

I just wanted people to know that if they were having a party it was cool if they were to make a thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back