Official NCAA Football 2006 Thread

[quote name='Tyga24']Here's hoping the same formula repeats itself next week: Monday night, Orange & Blue, underdog = win

If anything, hopefully this will give some more respect in the standings during the regular season for teams like Boise State; although they need to start scheduling some better out of conference games if they want to play for a national championship.[/quote]

I'm a Notre Dame fan but I'm pulling for Florida to win it all. I can't stand Ohio State.

Also hears hoping the Irish can rise up and pull off the upset over the Tigers.

[quote name='suko_32']Are you just saying that because you hate UF? :)[/QUOTE]

Normally yes, but in this scenario I legitimately believe Boise State deserves to be in that game as much as anybody.

Not really surprised by Michigan's loss. It was kind of a joke loss at first (What would Michigan fans bitch about if they lost to USC? :lol:), but it seemed more probable the closer it got to gametime. :D

The Boise State game was great, though I can't say that they're good enough to deserve a Championship shot. It's just Oklahoma that they beat.

[quote name='Chitown021']NCAA football SO needs a playoff system.[/QUOTE]

Understatement of the year! :cool:

Give it a few more years. The level of talent will be closer across the board. You will still have your powers, but upsets are going to be more likely. Only so many scholarships to go around per school. ;)

Grats to Boise St. and Oklahoma for an outstanding game. Here is hoping Wake Forest wins! Love the underdogs!

That Boise-Oklahoma slugfest was the best game I've seen in a long long time. It had all the drama of a Greek tragedy by the end. You'll rarely see 3 trick plays in one game much less with 20 minutes of each other.

Only Oklahoma? They're a top 5 team if the officiating crew doesn't mess up that call in Oregon.

I guess it was the year of the dog carrying over to the New Year. Steelers won the Super Bowl as a 6 seed. George Mason crashed the dance. Cards won the Series with an atrocious regular season record. Oregon St proved teams north of the Mason-Dixon line can still play ball. Texas went to the Rose Bowl against back to back champion USC and Vince Young became Super Man.

[quote name='Chitown021']

Also hears hoping the Irish can rise up and pull off the upset over the Tigers.[/QUOTE]

Good luck with that. Notre Dame is by far the most overrated team in the country. I expect nothing but domination from LSU, and that's despite the fact that they have terrible coaching.

[quote name='munch']Good luck with that. Notre Dame is by far the most overrated team in the country. I expect nothing but domination from LSU, and that's despite the fact that they have terrible coaching.[/quote]

Saying ND is overrated this year is one thing (as a fan I agree as they should've never been ranked in the top 5 to start the season. They had the talent on offense but the defense was bad even last year) but saying they have terrible coaching is just plain stupid. Charlie Weis is at the very least one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. How many schools out there wouldn't kill to have him running their program?? Keep in mind also that Weis is still working with kids he did not recruit. The next couple of years once his kids get in there is when everyone will truely see what he is capable of.

I know with Notre Dame it's love em' or hate em'. People that hate them always want to whine saying they're given preferential treatment and they never earn their rankings. The one thing I always say to that is this: Name me a school that plays a tougher schedule year in and year out? What other school out there schedules the likes of USC, Michigan, Penn State, Florida State, Michigan State, etc every single year? Answer = NONE

Most schools pad their non-conference with either I-AA scrubs or teams that have no business playing 1-A ball.

Let's take a look at who LSU had to play to get where they are (excluding conference since you can't control that)...
1) Louisiana - Lafayette - Are you kidding me? There are high school teams that are better.

2) Arizona - Average at best.
3) Tulane - lame.
4) Fresno State - Another patsy

[quote name='Chitown021']Saying ND is overrated this year is one thing (as a fan I agree as they should've never been ranked in the top 5 to start the season. They had the talent on offense but the defense was bad even last year) but saying they have terrible coaching is just plain stupid. Charlie Weis is at the very least one of the top 5 coaches in the nation. How many schools out there wouldn't kill to have him running their program?? Keep in mind also that Weis is still working with kids he did not recruit. The next couple of years once his kids get in there is when everyone will truely see what he is capable of.

I know with Notre Dame it's love em' or hate em'. People that hate them always want to whine saying they're given preferential treatment and they never earn their rankings. The one thing I always say to that is this: Name me a school that plays a tougher schedule year in and year out? What other school out there schedules the likes of USC, Michigan, Penn State, Florida State, Michigan State, etc every single year? Answer = NONE

Most schools pad their non-conference with either I-AA scrubs or teams that have no business playing 1-A ball.

Let's take a look at who LSU had to play to get where they are (excluding conference since you can't control that)...
1) Louisiana - Lafayette - Are you kidding me? There are high school teams that are better.

2) Arizona - Average at best.
3) Tulane - lame.
4) Fresno State - Another patsy[/QUOTE]

First, I was talking about LSU having terrible coaching. Weiss is good, or at least is said to be good. I can't think of a signature game that he has coached and won, can you? Plus, he's still playing with Willingham's players. But I do think he's a good coach and will do good things at Notre Dame.

Now, to say Notre Dame plays the toughest scheudle is laughable. Let's take a look at LSU's schedule again. They played Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas away. And they were all ranked in the top 10 when LSU played them. You can't just throw out Conference schedules, especially when you try to compare them to ND, a team without a conference.

I'm not defending LSU's out of conference schedule, but if you're saying Arizona is weak then you'll have to admit Michigan State is weak. Also, they play Tulane because they are an in state rival.

ND's schedule isn't easy, but it doesn't compare to LSU's. For every Lousiana-Lafayette they play, ND plays a service academy or North Carolina.

And just about every SEC team plays a tougher schedule than ND. The same couild be said for a few Big 10 teams. To sum up, there are quite a few teams that play tougher schedules than ND. And they at least compete in games where they are the underdogs.

[quote name='munch']First, I was talking about LSU having terrible coaching. Weiss is good, or at least is said to be good. I can't think of a signature game that he has coached and won, can you? Plus, he's still playing with Willingham's players. But I do think he's a good coach and will do good things at Notre Dame.

Now, to say Notre Dame plays the toughest scheudle is laughable. Let's take a look at LSU's schedule again. They played Auburn, Florida, Tennessee and Arkansas away. And they were all ranked in the top 10 when LSU played them. You can't just throw out Conference schedules, especially when you try to compare them to ND, a team without a conference.

I'm not defending LSU's out of conference schedule, but if you're saying Arizona is weak then you'll have to admit Michigan State is weak. Also, they play Tulane because they are an in state rival.

ND's schedule isn't easy, but it doesn't compare to LSU's. For every Lousiana-Lafayette they play, ND plays a service academy or North Carolina.

And just about every SEC team plays a tougher schedule than ND. The same couild be said for a few Big 10 teams. To sum up, there are quite a few teams that play tougher schedules than ND. And they at least compete in games where they are the underdogs.[/quote]

1) Sorry I mistook your coach comment.
2) I will give you that overall this year the way it played out LSU's schdedule was tougher than ND but overall I would say at least 8 out of 10 years ND's strength of schedule would be greater than LSU or almost any team in the nation. Mainly because many of the traditional powers that ND plays every year were weaker than usual (Penn State and Mich State were down but they also played a very good Georgia Tech team and a UCLA team that took down USC) Army is usually the only service academy that you can truely consider a walkover and even that that they're still a tougher opponent that Louisiana-Lafyette

[quote name='Tyga24']Well, it looks like the SEC just got stronger: Nick Saban is headed to Alabama.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2718488[/QUOTE]

Yeah, everybody around here at work were glued to the interwebs on their workstation watching for it. If I were a student at UA, I'd be fucking furious. This contract, the Shula buyout, the asst. coaches' buyouts, etc.. that's ALOT of dough. When you buy a coach for a huge amount of dough, you end up losing them for a bigger amount of dough at some point.

Hell.. if he loses a couple games to Auburn (which is going to depend a little on recruiting on Saban's part), the alumnists may bitch and moan for him to be canned too (I don't know how high his buyout is, but it can't be small).

Mal Moore is a douche.. and Auburn is still going to be great. It's just time that Alabama buried Bear Bryant, and realize that Auburn is just now the premiere football team in the state.

I'm SOOOO glad Brady Quinn and the Irish choked again. Horrible. I still don't see how he is the #1 pick. Go Raiders...take him, don't even tempt the Lions.

Jamarcus Russell is a stud...I can see him going very high now (if he goes pro)

Dear BCS,

Please refrain from giving the Irish a BCS Bowl Game bid in the future. History and prestige does not make up for a crappy team. I'm sure there are far more deserving candidates for the spots they're given yearly that would benefit college football in general by giving fans a better outcome than the blowouts that take place currently. Thank you.

[quote name='doubledown']Agreed....I think Rutgers would've beat NotRe Dame.[/quote]

Congrats to the LSU Tigers they more than earned that victory. As an ND fan myself I have no idea why everyone keeps saying Quinn is a first round pick. I think he's an above average QB but nowhere near a first rounder.

Yes Rutgers would've beat ND this year so what? Rutgers is a very good team. They could compete or possibly beat probably 3/4 of the teams in the BSC this year.

And I'm sure that Florida deserves the BCS title shot against tOSU.
[quote name='SteveMcQ']Dear BCS,

Please refrain from giving the Irish a BCS Bowl Game bid in the future. History and prestige does not make up for a crappy team. I'm sure there are far more deserving candidates for the spots they're given yearly that would benefit college football in general by giving fans a better outcome than the blowouts that take place currently. Thank you.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='naes']And I'm sure that Florida deserves the BCS title shot against tOSU.[/QUOTE]

Name another school that deserves to be there. You can't.

Michigan stopped playing Nov. 30th, and Boise State, while a good football team, played a weak schedule. Florida statistically had the toughest schedule and only one loss to a pretty good Auburn team.

[quote name='CocheseUGA']Name another school that deserves to be there. You can't.

Michigan stopped playing Nov. 30th, and Boise State, while a good football team, played a weak schedule. Florida statistically had the toughest schedule and only one loss to a pretty good Auburn team.[/quote]

If it wasn't for a good Rutgers team, my guess is Louisville would be in the title game with OSU. And to think they did what they did without their star player, who went down the very first month of the season. Yeah, the Big East isn't what it used to be, but its still got a solid duo (at the very least) with Louisville and West Virginia.

Nice! Rick Trickett and Lawrence Dawsey to FSU. My sources tell my that Jimbo Fisher has picked FSU over Alabama as well. On a more disappointing note, Alabama and Saban did steal our LB's coach Kevin Steele to be his new defensive coordinator. Oh well, we still have a great defensive staff and Steele deserved the promotion, especially since he would never supplant Mickey Andrews as our DC.

[quote name='craven_fiend']If it wasn't for a good Rutgers team, my guess is Louisville would be in the title game with OSU. And to think they did what they did without their star player, who went down the very first month of the season. Yeah, the Big East isn't what it used to be, but its still got a solid duo (at the very least) with Louisville and West Virginia.[/QUOTE]

Rutgers was a nice story this year, but who did they play? They had one signature win, and that was at home. I can't fault them for it, but I can't elevate them after one good year. Same goes for WV and Louisville this year. Louisville is and has been a good team, but again it's the schedule. Can't fault them for Miami having a shitty year, but can't provide an excuse either.

Imagine if we had even a modified playoff right now.

BSU would play USC, LSU v Louisville. Winners play OSU/Florida. How good would a LSU/USC national championship game look?

Rutgers will be back next year. Ray Rice will have a monster year barring injury and I think at least nine starters are back at defense. Louisville will have more work to do unless Bush comes back. West Virginia is returning alot of starters but will have to replace Owen Schmitt. He didn't have a great statisical year but anyone that watched the Mountaineers play this year will tell you he was the glue for the offense.

[quote name='doubledown']

Jamarcus Russell is a stud...I can see him going very high now (if he goes pro)[/QUOTE]

The thing about Russell is that I've heard he's not exactly bright. Around LSU they call him Da'Marcus. I think some quality coaching can help him out. I'm just glad he finally got a signature win. He really underperformed against Florida and Auburn, not that I'm complaining.

[quote name='munch']The thing about Russell is that I've heard he's not exactly bright. Around LSU they call him Da'Marcus. I think some quality coaching can help him out. I'm just glad he finally got a signature win. He really underperformed against Florida and Auburn, not that I'm complaining.[/quote]

Hmm imagine that an athlete that's not very bright... Now I've heard of everything ;).

One of the great qualities of the ND players is they have to be athletic and smart. ND has strict academic guidlines and doesn't screw around. If a guy doesn't make the grades he's out no matter who he is. There's no special tapdancing classes that other schools let their thug players attend to get them by. If someone on the Irish team would've misbehaved they would've been suspended for the bowl game period.

What was this BS about LSU players being suspended for a couple quarters? That's pretty weak.

[quote name='Chitown021']
What was this BS about LSU players being suspended for a couple quarters? That's pretty weak.[/QUOTE]

They missed curfew. Want them kicked off the team?

[quote name='CocheseUGA']They missed curfew. Want them kicked off the team?[/quote]

Ahh I didn't know what the violation was (I thought it might've been something more severe). Still maybe they should've been suspended for the bowl game since they couldn't follow the rules.

[quote name='Chitown021']Ahh I didn't know what the violation was (I thought it might've been something more severe). Still maybe they should've been suspended for the bowl game since they couldn't follow the rules.[/QUOTE]

If you send the message to these kids they can never make mistakes, they'll just go somewhere else. There's got to be some tolerance. Hell, we all were 19 once. All I wanted to do was drink and get laid. Athletes aren't any different.

Every college runs afoul of the NCAA and rules. Even ND. We shouldn't keep kids on the team for failing classes, but getting in a few minutes late shouldn't mean an entire year should be forsaken.

[quote name='Chitown021']Hmm imagine that an athlete that's not very bright... Now I've heard of everything ;).

One of the great qualities of the ND players is they have to be athletic and smart. ND has strict academic guidlines and doesn't screw around. If a guy doesn't make the grades he's out no matter who he is. There's no special tapdancing classes that other schools let their thug players attend to get them by. If someone on the Irish team would've misbehaved they would've been suspended for the bowl game period.

What was this BS about LSU players being suspended for a couple quarters? That's pretty weak.[/quote]

Back in '99 (ancient history to most "Notre Dame is holier than thou" fans) the Irish had repeated major violations including boosters and players who were ineligible playing in games.

Looks like we have our OC. Keep an eye out for an announcement some time after 7:00 PM.

EDIT: Looks like there may not be an official announcement until tomorrow. Chris Mortenson and several other media outlets are confirming that Jimbo Fisher has chosen FSU over Alabama.

EDIT: No more Jimbo. He and his agent pulled one too many stunts during negotiations and now they're out.

[quote name='munch']Looks like Petrino is the new head coach of the Atlanta Falcons:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2723700

I wonder what will happen Lousville now?

And what's everyone's pick on tonights game?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, posted that in the NFL playoff thread. Blew me away. I think they'll get the guy from Tulsa (I think?).

Calvin Johnson also just declared for the draft.

Prediction? I'll still hate the team that wins. I think I hate Florida just a little less, and it'd be nice to add a second BCS title (and fourth in the last eleven years).

I honestly believe tOSU is too much for Florida to handle, but you never know.

BTW, Jimbo Fisher to FSU is apparently now back on and a done deal. Announcement forthcoming.

[quote name='gofishn']I honestly believe tOSU is too much for Florida to handle, but you never know.

BTW, Jimbo Fisher to FSU is apparently now back on and a done deal. Announcement forthcoming.[/QUOTE]

Good for FSU. I am a Maryland fan but we really need FSU back on top of their game because they are THE team in the ACC. If FSU isn't good, the rest of the league doesn't have that team that sets the bar for the others like FSU normally does. Same thing with Miami. We need everyone to step up next year and get the ACC back in the discussion for being an elite conference like the SEC and Big 10.

Brutus_Buckeye_in_a_cartoon_character.gif

FLORIDA JUST GOT PWNED!!!!1

This is not going to end well for them....

Well we really don't know how good Ohio State really is. OSU really didn't play anyone (Texas turned out to be a fraud) and the Big 10 has proved this bowl season that even the top is so-so (USC beat Michigan like a drum). Even against some of the lower ranked schools if I remember right the games were much closer than they should've been.

Makes me think of the team that won it all few years ago. I like to call them The Ohio State Luckeye's since they squeaked out wins then were given the title by a poor call against Miami.

[quote name='Chitown021']Do the Buckeyes play defense at all??[/QUOTE]

Apparently not. I'm thinking of going to bed in a few minutes. We're fucked. This is really disappointing. Looks like they lost all their momentum after getting that first TD.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Apparently not. I'm thinking of going to bed in a few minutes. We're fucked. This is really disappointing. Looks like they lost all their momentum after getting that first TD.[/quote]

I think they must've stolen the defensive playbook from my beloved Fightin' Irish...

bread's done
Back