Official Open-Source Kinect Drivers for PC Released by PrimeSense

bubbafett4hire

CAGiversary!
Didn't know if anyone was playing with the kinect as far as PC apps go now that more and more kinect hacks are coming out. Figured I'd pass this along to anyone interested

c/p

PrimeSense http://www.primesense.com, the industry leader in sensing and recognition solutions, announces the launch of its OpenNI (Open Natural Interaction) consortium, an industry-led, nonprofit organization formed to accelerate the introduction of Natural Interaction applications into the marketplace http://www.openni.org.

PrimeSense OpenNI will formally debut at the 2011 International Consumer Electronics Show (CES), January 6-9 in Las Vegas, stand 36255, South Hall 4.

The role of OpenNI is to certify and promote the compatibility and interoperability of Natural Interaction devices, applications and middleware, while encouraging developers to build applications and create experiences that will shape the future of Natural Interaction. Examples of everyday Natural Interaction usage include:

The organization’s first initiative is an open source framework – the OpenNI framework – which provides an application programming interface (API) for writing applications around Natural Interaction. This API covers communication with both low level devices (e.g. vision and audio sensors), as well as high-level middleware solutions (e.g. for visual tracking, using computer vision).

PrimeSense also contributed its first proposal for an OpenNI standard as well as implementation of the OpenNI framework under open source license, royalty free license to PrimeSense NITE middleware modules all designed to work with OpenNI compliant devices such as PrimeSense’s development kits which are going to be available for purchase through PrimeSense’s web site.

“PrimeSense is bringing Natural Interaction to more than just one environment. Gaming is just the beginning of this new paradigm that is changing the way people interact and live their lives in just about every walk of life,” said Adi Berenson, Vice President of Marketing, PrimeSense. “With OpenNI, we want developers to know that the Natural Interaction ‘marketplace’ is wide open for them to show us how the future will feel.”

OpenNI is the only open standard that is setting a standard for the control of consumer electronics by Natural Interaction. OpenNI is publicly available at www.OpenNI.org.

Where does it mention kinect?

I just got one today, for Xbox and for playing around with on my PC, but I can't find anything on the openni.org site about it working with kinect.

Dang. No Mac version. I suppose I could install Linux as a dual-boot. At least I think I can do that, but I have to look into it. I'd much rather have a Mac version, though. Oh well.

bread's done
Back