Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
PSVR is fun. I've tried it a couple times at Best Buy. I just don't have the money for it, and on top of that if I got it then I'd feel like I needed to get a PS4 Pro too.
The very first update PSVR Worlds downloaded just says "Added PS4Pro support"

Giant Bomb

(no longer live)

LIVE PlayStation VR Launch Day Special

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70Ryherc7Is&feature=em-lbrm

That's great. Released almost 5 years ago, still being sold, still is supported by Sony, and still has a strong lineup or games coming out this year and next? I certainly hope it is like a vita.
:rofl:
Still supported by Sony? Cause they released a quick patch to remedy the hacking exploit? Cause they haven't released a first party game at all in 2016 and it ain't looking too good for any more coming out. 2015 wasn't much better for 1st party releases either...

Long live Vita. But yes it's dead. In the US for sure. Not in Japan. I love mine, but I'm not fooling myself into thinking there will be anything other then Japanese RPGs for it from here on out. Even the indie developers aren't making games for it any more.
I disagree - the Vita has been doing pretty poorly in the US (as it always has), but I wouldn't say it's dead yet: 10 US releases this month, two of them being big/mainstream releases (Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy). That's similar to how it's been like for the past two years, from what I remember.

before i play any games and demos I made sure I did the calibration, everything in the psvr options,no blur or hick ups 

If you actually knew how to drive a stick shift you wouldn't need to look for it or see it. You just know where it is. It's second nature.
I've been diriving stick shift for over 15 years, but video game is different, I don't drive it as much as my cars and the shifter is usually not mounted like in a car, many people mount it just next to the wheel (or it's non-movable part of the wheel). I have an extender to mount it lower closer to the body but it's still not a usual location. It certainly will take more time to adjust, blindly, compared to you can see where it is.

Did anyone here who got EVE from Amazon during the price glitch get the Founders pack? Just noticed its apparently a totally different item in the store

I went into Best Buy and grabbed the last $500 pack on the shelf.  They had a handful of base units.  

But not even sure I'll open it.  lol.   

I don't know.  I just (know)  it's going to be all cash grabs, shovelware and tech demos.  Been there, done that on the Wii in 2006-2007 but at least there I had some Nintendo games to play.

Still I like to check new stuff out.  The tech is cool.  Can always resell.  

I disagree - the Vita has been doing pretty poorly in the US (as it always has), but I wouldn't say it's dead yet: 10 US releases this month, two of them being big/mainstream releases (Dragon Quest Builders and World of Final Fantasy). That's similar to how it's been like for the past two years, from what I remember.
As much as I love Vita, 1 fat and 1 slim, and a neon orange is coming, I can't agree with you that it's not dead in US.

There is no store carry Vita games, not even accessories (or on clearance) except GameStop. BestBuy, Target, Walmart, Toysurs... all have the Vita section gone months ago or years. Stores don't want to stock them as it's wasting their space which they can sell other platforms, you can only buy Vita games online.

There are still US releases only because it's not dead in Asia, Asia countries will get English translation, some get Chinese translation, so they can simply repack the Asia version to make a US release in LIMITED amount which no one notice unless you're a die hard Vita fans. And very obviously all those games are designed for Japanese/Asia markets.

Even NES is going to be more alive than Vita with its Classic Edition. I have many friends either don't know PS Vita or still confused it with PSP.

Well okay...I looked up the Founders pack issue and see that it was a problem with lots of people redeeming the code before the update. Contacted Sony's chat and got typical BS, contact Amazon and dude just offers me a refund on my code barely a minute into the chat.

Anyone else buy the RIGS game? I just ordered it from Amazon. Just curious if it will have a decent online community. I think if the devs give it some good support it could be one of the top VR games. I've probably played the demo 10 times and just can't get enough of it. Once you get the aiming down it's really fun. Sort of reminds me of titanfall with how fast your mechs can move. Also just bought Here They Lie with credit left over from the bundle and so far it's showing a lot of potential. The graphics aren't that great and not a big fan of the muted colors(think they could have used contrast more instead of just making everything dark) but they really give you an actual world to explore and it's genuinely creepy. Areas feel big and there is an option in the controls to turn off the VR guide control which gives you alot more freedom of movement. A heads up though when you turn your character with the analog stick it sort of has a squint effect where your field of vision shrinks. Sort of annoying since everything is so dark anyway in the game.

I just posted my initial opinions on FB, and I'l share them here:

Ok, Initial thoughts after setup and a half hour with PSVR

Setup is amazingly easy. It was up and running fine within 4 minutes! Adjusting it on your head so you don;t get misaligned artifacting took a few minutes, but thats just a learning curve. The initial impression was that tracking was perfect, but presentation is low res. its lower than the 1080p was are used to, and I knew that going in. You do notice it in games, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than spending $2000 on an occulus and a higher end gaming pc.

I tried the deep dive thing, driveclub, the eve demo and the battlezone demo so far.

The underwater demo was way cool and a perfect entry to vr. Its a calm casual experience, as they lower you into the ocean depths, and you can look around at manta rays, fish and such. really a tech demo, but a great intro.

I have mixed feeling about driveclub. The car handling feels great, and I had no motion sickness at all.. but thats because I used my rear view and sideview mirrors, and didn;t try to rubberneck looking out the back window while driving. The biggest disapointment with drive club is the resolution (again) and how much the knocked down the graphic quality for VR. That said, for only $20 its a fun racing game, and if I saw it in an arcade, I'd probably dump $10 or $20 in it playing for the experience. The resolution knock down on it though was a disappointment, though the feel of the racing was great.

Eve looked good, but most videos of it are from high end gaming pcs at really high resolutions with all the eye candy on, so the lower res of course compares poorly.. but again, the handling and tracking was excellent, and other than not knowing what the hell I was doing, the experience left a HUGE grin on my face!

Lastly was battlezone.. its tron inspired look is an excellent match for ps vr, and it looked and handled GREAT. Its easily my favorite of the bunch, but once I learn Eve better, it might be the superior experience.

I'm seeing a lot of psvr haters popping in, and honestly for the price I'm pretty blown away. If these games were in arcades, I'd dump money on them in a heartbeat. The eve demo was not only too short, but they tossed you right int a fire fight before you learned controls, which kind of sucks. Battlezone was better than I exected, and the random gen campaign and tank upgrade coupled with online co op sound like it'll have plenty of legs. I still want to try the other demos out to see if there's anything else we really want to own right now, but for my money, battlezone and eve with BB gamer's unlocked are the best launch purchases.

Does anyone feel like you can see the lenses when you have the headset on? Like a back layer of "dust" or something? I don't know how else to explain it but it becomes pretty noticeable on solid color screens or backgrounds.

Does anyone know if the 10% Best Buy Mover's Coupon will work on PSVR? I imagine it would since it works on consoles, but I didn't know if anyone had tried...

Mine arrived via UPS from Best Buy today, and I decided to return it. I have enough games to last the fall, and the non-exclusives will come to Steam by then. I really don't want to use a subpar VR helmet when I have a perfectly functional one already.

Does anyone feel like you can see the lenses when you have the headset on? Like a back layer of "dust" or something? I don't know how else to explain it but it becomes pretty noticeable on solid color screens or backgrounds.
Yep, only happens when the screen is black but I believe it's just streaks and marks on the lens (after wiping it down) . Maybe some glass cleaner would help but I haven't looked into it yet.

Yep, only happens when the screen is black but I believe it's just streaks and marks on the lens (after wiping it down) . Maybe some glass cleaner would help but I haven't looked into it yet.
They were there even as soon as I took off the protective film. It's also pretty uniform so it makes me feel like it's not just on the surface since I can't seem to wipe it off with the microfiber cloth.

Try moving it up and down a bit. You can also adjust it with the bottom button underneath to move it closer or further away. There will be a bit of blurriness no matter what around your peripheral vision. It should be clear when you focus on the center. Don't expect it to be 1080p crystal clear. Think more 720p or close to that.
Gave everything a shot. At this point as much as I hate to I might just return it (assuming Best Buy will let me). Can't seem to find that "sweet spot" no matter what I do. Maybe I just have weird eyes, but I don't remember it being like this when I tried the demo at Best Buy.

Tried the Driveclub and Rigs demos. Rigs was almost instant nausea, but I'm very susceptible to it (I pretty much avoid all FPS games because of it), so don't use me to judge it properly. I had no problem with Drive Club. What really blew my mind is that I had a window open right near where I was sitting, and right when the car started moving, the wind picked up outside and I felt a breeze. For a millisecond, I thought I was really driving a car lol.

PlayStation VR Lens Cleaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pA23BeRzk

PlayStation VR Light Shield Cleaning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR4q-Pfuq8w

Does anyone know if the 10% Best Buy Mover's Coupon will work on PSVR? I imagine it would since it works on consoles, but I didn't know if anyone had tried...

If you have one that does work on consoles it might. I had a coupon that specifically said it excluded consoles and tried that and it did not work. Ended up using it on an iPhone 7 instead.

Still waiting on the launch bundle I ordered from Best Buy. Says it should be here today but its 6pm and no sign of it yet. OnTrac blows.

Gave everything a shot. At this point as much as I hate to I might just return it (assuming Best Buy will let me). Can't seem to find that "sweet spot" no matter what I do. Maybe I just have weird eyes, but I don't remember it being like this when I tried the demo at Best Buy.
May sound weird but what about room lighting? Bestbuy is a giant place with tons of lights in it but if your room is darker maybe it's making a difference.

Just trying to think if you had no problem in the store but you do at home using the exact same equipment then what's different between the 2 places you used it?

Or did you clean or wipe it off? Maybe you got an errant finger print.

If you have one that does work on consoles it might. I had a coupon that specifically said it excluded consoles and tried that and it did not work. Ended up using it on an iPhone 7 instead.

Still waiting on the launch bundle I ordered from Best Buy. Says it should be here today but its 6pm and no sign of it yet. OnTrac blows.

Same here. It's 6:16PM here in SoCal and OnTrac has yet to deliver my PSVR. [emoji31]

I just posted my initial opinions on FB, and I'l share them here:

Ok, Initial thoughts after setup and a half hour with PSVR

Setup is amazingly easy. It was up and running fine within 4 minutes! Adjusting it on your head so you don;t get misaligned artifacting took a few minutes, but thats just a learning curve. The initial impression was that tracking was perfect, but presentation is low res. its lower than the 1080p was are used to, and I knew that going in. You do notice it in games, but its a hell of a lot cheaper than spending $2000 on an occulus and a higher end gaming pc.

I tried the deep dive thing, driveclub, the eve demo and the battlezone demo so far.

The underwater demo was way cool and a perfect entry to vr. Its a calm casual experience, as they lower you into the ocean depths, and you can look around at manta rays, fish and such. really a tech demo, but a great intro.

I have mixed feeling about driveclub. The car handling feels great, and I had no motion sickness at all.. but thats because I used my rear view and sideview mirrors, and didn;t try to rubberneck looking out the back window while driving. The biggest disapointment with drive club is the resolution (again) and how much the knocked down the graphic quality for VR. That said, for only $20 its a fun racing game, and if I saw it in an arcade, I'd probably dump $10 or $20 in it playing for the experience. The resolution knock down on it though was a disappointment, though the feel of the racing was great.

Eve looked good, but most videos of it are from high end gaming pcs at really high resolutions with all the eye candy on, so the lower res of course compares poorly.. but again, the handling and tracking was excellent, and other than not knowing what the hell I was doing, the experience left a HUGE grin on my face!

Lastly was battlezone.. its tron inspired look is an excellent match for ps vr, and it looked and handled GREAT. Its easily my favorite of the bunch, but once I learn Eve better, it might be the superior experience.

I'm seeing a lot of psvr haters popping in, and honestly for the price I'm pretty blown away. If these games were in arcades, I'd dump money on them in a heartbeat. The eve demo was not only too short, but they tossed you right int a fire fight before you learned controls, which kind of sucks. Battlezone was better than I exected, and the random gen campaign and tank upgrade coupled with online co op sound like it'll have plenty of legs. I still want to try the other demos out to see if there's anything else we really want to own right now, but for my money, battlezone and eve with BB gamer's unlocked are the best launch purchases.
Where did you get Driveclub for $20?

yeah I see it as well.. not sure if I'm supposed to or not.

Where did you get Driveclub for $20?
A bunch of people here got it for $20 isn a mistaken price thing a day or so ago. Honestly though, I don't think its worth more than $20, personally. It felt fun, but Battlezone and Eve loked better and have enough content in them to extend the replayability.

Got my PSVR setup, too, and here are my first impressions.

1.) First, it's a pain in the ass with all the cables everywhere. It's a cable mess.

2.) The HMD is not actually as comfortable as I'd have thought based on other impressions. It puts pressure on my head, the cable that comes out of it is a nuisance, and I'm not as huge a fan as I thought I'd be of the general fit.

3.) Wearing glasses makes it a nuisance, despite what others have said, too. I can't get the lenses close enough to my eyes, which means I tend to notice the room around me at the bottom of the HMD. Without glasses on it's super blurry. Kinda wish you could dial that in like with binoculars.

4.) Games look like ass. The resolution is just too low. There's also a coating on the "screen" that you can notice, that reminds me of anti-glare coating on LCD monitors. It's quite aggressive, and I'm not a fan. 

5.) DriveClub looks absolutely GHASTLY. Yes, it's awesome in VR (if you don't get slightly nauseated), but the downgrade from the regular version is absolutely astonishing. It's phenomenally unattractive, and it makes it very difficult to see turns ahead at times. Ugh.

6.) Tumble is lots of fun, but because the Move controllers have a little bit of "shake" to them as the camera picks them up, it's not quite as smooth as I would like to place blocks.

7.) Thumper is a little more immersive in VR, but it's not a necessity. I bought it for 2D, and it's great. VR makes it look uglier, that's for sure.

8.) Rez is great, and again - more immersive. Not must-buy for VR, though.

9.) Everything just looks so low-res and JAGGY. It's like it's running at 480p on a 1080p display, - there's more jaggies here than in every Monster Hunter game combined. 

10.) It's still cool. 

May sound weird but what about room lighting? Bestbuy is a giant place with tons of lights in it but if your room is darker maybe it's making a difference.

Just trying to think if you had no problem in the store but you do at home using the exact same equipment then what's different between the 2 places you used it?

Or did you clean or wipe it off? Maybe you got an errant finger print.
It's not as bright as Best Buy. I wonder if that made a difference. The eye pieces should have been clean since I was careful not to touch them after taking the plastic things off.

I ended up taking it back though...maybe I'll try it again someday.

It's not as bright as Best Buy. I wonder if that made a difference. The eye pieces should have been clean since I was careful not to touch them after taking the plastic things off.

I ended up taking it back though...maybe I'll try it again someday.
So you were successful in returning it to Best Buy even though you had opened it?

Boy the resolution is bad on some of these games.  I thought something was wrong with my headset.  Some games look OK, others look awful.  Driveclub is atrocious.

I get a pretty long return window so I'm going to play it for a bit and see how it goes.

Boy the resolution is bad on some of these games. I thought something was wrong with my headset. Some games look OK, others look awful. Driveclub is atrocious.

I get a pretty long return window so I'm going to play it for a bit and see how it goes.

It really is staggeringly bad, isn't it? I can't believe nobody said anything during the run-up to the reviews over the last few months. Madness. It looks TERRIBLE. I wonder if PS4 Pro will fix some of these issues, because it's REALLY clear than the regular PS4 is just not good enough for an immersive VR experience when the graphics look this bad.

It really is staggeringly bad, isn't it? I can't believe nobody said anything during the run-up to the reviews over the last few months. Madness. It looks TERRIBLE. I wonder if PS4 Pro will fix some of these issues, because it's REALLY clear than the regular PS4 is just not good enough for an immersive VR experience when the graphics look this bad.
Do you have a Vive or have you tried it? It's the highest res screen and even it isn't mind blowing. On top of that it has the screendoor effect that places the screen in physical space more easily if you fixate on the pattern. I mean, they had these things for weeks and weeks at hundreds of Best Buy so people could set expectations for a 500 dollar peripheral not to come back home and act shocked at the supposed bait and switch.

Yes it's low rez, but it's still very cool. Just going on my demos at Best Buy. Battle zone looked the best due to cell shading I think.

bread's done
Back