Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like the true value of this thing though will be showing it off to friends and family.
Everyone who I show this to is getting the Kitchen demo right off the bat before they get anything else. Gonna get my brother tonight with it

Okay, so for everyone who has played it for a couple days now... what's the consensus? Worth it?
Personally I've been pretty disappointed. The only game that really stood out to me was Thumper, and I cant justify paying $500 for the headset bundle just to play that. Between the launch lineup being pretty disappointing (especially Driveclub VR, which I was most looking forward to) and the tracking/camera issues I've been having, I'll probably just end up returning it.

On that note, has anyone had any trouble getting a refund for the launch bundle at Best Buy? Seems like a few have succeeded already.

I think it's great. It doesn't replace your gaming experiences, you need to treat it as a supplement. If your money is that tight though, I would advise against it.
Thanks. It's not about a tight budget as much as it is about spending real money on gaming. The number of times I've paid cash (beyond maybe $15) for anything gaming-wise for the past 5 years has to be less than 10. I'm super stingy about it - especially knowing that 49 out of pocket could get me 80 or more with the right use of promo's and sales.

I've been meaning to ask, what is it that still prompts people to think that the pro is going to somehow improve performance?  Sony has given no indication that this would be the case so why do people keep mentioning that?

Any games that actually feel immersive? All I tried was Playstation world's.

I was hoping the luge would give me the sensation of flying down hills or the undersea one would be cooler. Don't hate them, just wish I had sensations of doing things.

I played the Driveclub demo and was a little disorientined b/ I think it was the game and not the VR. I think that repition will improve that. The graphics are fine to me and I do not understand why people are so disappointed. It's not Forza quality b/ I am ok with that. I bought a racing wheel for Xbox 1 last week and just pre ordered a Hori racing wheel for the PS4.

Okay, so for everyone who has played it for a couple days now... what's the consensus? Worth it?
It's basically Move motion controls with a screen wrapped around your head. I don't even know if there are any good Move games since the PSVR launch games are lacking as expected. Maybe having some good Move games could supplement the lackluster and slim library of PSVR games. I looked at the PSVR game list and a year from now it still look like it will be lacking.

I know its been talked about in here, but for those who bought the VR and didnt like it, since you opened it and played it, what was your experience trying to return it to the store for a refund?

Doesnt seem like "not liking it" would be a valid excuse for a full cash back refund, but im curious to see what stores have allowed it.

So when I first tried it out the game was showing on the TV screen as well. But now the screen is blank while it's being used. Is there a setting? Can't figure it out.

So when I first tried it out the game was showing on the TV screen as well. But now the screen is blank while it's being used. Is there a setting? Can't figure it out.
I had this happen when I was playing with the demo disc. Close out of it completely and load the game up again. It's a weird thing that happened after putting the PS4 in rest mode or turning the VR headset on and off at certain points.

Thanks. It's not about a tight budget as much as it is about spending real money on gaming. The number of times I've paid cash (beyond maybe $15) for anything gaming-wise for the past 5 years has to be less than 10. I'm super stingy about it - especially knowing that 49 out of pocket could get me 80 or more with the right use of promo's and sales.
Level 80 CAG right here.

Anyone else having the shifting to the left issue? Mine seems to happen a bunch especially in VR Worlds. Really hope it's software. I think it is because when I exit out to the menu screen is also on the left but if I hold options it totally corrects itself but in the game it doesn't move it anywhere near as dramatically.

I'm enjoying the PS VR and to people that complain about the resolution STFU! You knew what the specs were going to be, you knew the initial price is going to be high cause its new mass produced tech that will have higher cost. VR is in its infancy and has potential with future games as this gives developers more tools to make their games. Cost production for future VR hardware will get cheaper and better as time goes on.

I really like London Heist even though its short but the range time is fun to replay and challenging. It kinda reminds me of the good ole point blank arcade game.
https://youtu.be/fu-zgrfiQOc

I've played a few hours a day since launch, which is more than I ever intended. VR is exciting but taxing due to effort to set it up and low resolution visuals. I'd rather play Rez, a 15 year old game, than Forza Horizon 3 or Gears 4 right now. I'ts a much more exciting experience. Bound is an entirely different game in VR as well.

I played Area X in Rez last night and think it's one of the most amazing things I've done in a videogame in years. VR is a luxury item for most but for people who actually want (not say they want) new experiences VR is going to be the best place for that moving forward.

No one should buy PSVR unless they have tried it and are ready for the compromise in resolution, potential VR sickness, and effort of putting on the visor. The vita is an apt comparison because the type of support VR will get is exclusive to it as a platform. VR games won't compete with non-VR games as competitors because of how drastically different they are as an experience.

There's not enough utility in PSVR if you are only interested in how it affects the genres you like in games. If you want VR as a platform to explore new ideas then you won't be disappointed because you're likely the kind of early adopter who understand the compromises it entails.

Haven't had a lot of time to use it but I've had fun so far.  Tried a few games at the bestbuy demo and was considering buying it just for eve but that was illogical.  after opening, I've enjoyed the heist and rush of blood.  girlfriend screaming as she looked to her left on rush of blood sealed the deal for me.  I actually flinched the first time as an object came flying at me.

Just like everything else with tech and gaming, I think some people's expectations are too high.

Maybe my expectations are too high, it's just when I heard the PSVR was gonna be 1080

I naturally assumed 1920x1080

not 1080x960

but you are correct, I didn't read up enough on it before buying.

While the PS4 Pro might improve graphics, it can't change the resolution which unfortunately might be enough of a deal breaker for me. 

Other then RE7 and possible Farpoint there isn't many game titles that caught my eye. I'll play a little bit more of Eve Valkyrie and see how much replayability it has for me before deciding on returning it on my next day off. 

Don't get me wrong PSVR has been entertaining but I can't reason to myself on spending $500+ on a system I'll get maybe 20hrs of game time from it. 

Is it the same resolution as the Gear VR?
No its lower and the gear vr is actually higher than the others. Having used gear vr a lot I can say games look substantially better on psvr and video looks the same or worse. Video looks terrible on all vr platforms imo.

I think I'm still going to return mine. I played around enough with the Occulus and most of gaming time right now is spent on Overwatch. If anyone wants the launch bundle at retail (plus tax) let me know before I return it. Looks like it is still out of stock on amazon/best buy.

I don't know if this has been covered but you can get the psvr launch bundle for $450+ tax with red card. There is a sign in the video game section for $25 off $100 games purchase. Plus the red card discount.

There was still a launch bundle at that location

I know its been talked about in here, but for those who bought the VR and didnt like it, since you opened it and played it, what was your experience trying to return it to the store for a refund?

Doesnt seem like "not liking it" would be a valid excuse for a full cash back refund, but im curious to see what stores have allowed it.
No questions asked at Best Buy aside from the typical "is there anything wrong with it". As long as you're within the return period I don't see why you'd need an excuse.

I do kind of regret returning mine, but maybe I'll find a slight deal on one someday...

No its lower and the gear vr is actually higher than the others. Having used gear vr a lot I can say games look substantially better on psvr and video looks the same or worse. Video looks terrible on all vr platforms imo.
Ah ok, thanks for the response

I havent seen games in vr yet, but i watched some videos on the gearvr and was kind of disappointed.

Hopefully one day soon, we will get to that step.

Just a heads up for people who bought psvr at gamestop, they don't allow returns for some reason. I was there today and someone was trying to return it because it made him sick and the system wouldn't allow it. The associate even called his dm for help and he just told him to try and get a refund from sony. That sucks.

Just a heads up for people who bought psvr at gamestop, they don't allow returns for some reason. I was there today and someone was trying to return it because it made him sick and the system wouldn't allow it. The associate even called his dm for help and he just told him to try and get a refund from sony. That sucks.
Honestly doesn't surprise me.

Cool little thing I learned today. I had ordered this Dualshock 4 charging station for $5 not too long ago from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261634

Turns out they are actually PS3 Move Controller chargers with adapters to charge PS4 controllers. A nice surprise since I had been contemplating buying an all in 1 charging stand for VR and accessories ($50 bleh). So I guess I'll just use that for the move controllers and hope to find another $5 PS4 controller charging station.

Cool little thing I learned today. I had ordered this Dualshock 4 charging station for $5 not too long ago from Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879261634

Turns out they are actually PS3 Move Controller chargers with adapters to charge PS4 controllers. A nice surprise since I had been contemplating buying an all in 1 charging stand for VR and accessories ($50 bleh). So I guess I'll just use that for the move controllers and hope to find another $5 PS4 controller charging station.
Same here, never thought I'd be pulling out the silly plugs. Works much better as a move charging station.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYGCK1M/ref=pd_sim_63_20?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYGCK1M&pd_rd_r=D939P8BB920R0Q7KTQQR&pd_rd_w=X1pDc&pd_rd_wg=4v8pR&psc=1&refRID=D939P8BB920R0Q7KTQQR

I think I'll be picking this one up. That way I can charge all my controllers and have a stand for the headset.

Here's a question. The included USB cable isn't long enough for the way I ran and hid the wires. I tried a different one, but it said it wasn't connected. I'm guessing this is because it's an older cable andI need a newer or updated one? Anyone know what I'd need? Do they have e different types of micro usbs?

Just got done playing Batman VR. Man that morgue scene almost made me quit the game entirely. I'm sincerely scared and uneasy with anything to do with morgues or bodies. Being put in a morgue is a fear that I have. Now this game put me in a morgue with 3 bodies and one I had to pull out of those rolling freezers had me sweating and panicky. It also didn't help that there was fans inside that morgue and I have mine on all the time thus making it feel like I was there. I tried to do that scene as quick as possible and left asap. [emoji31]

So is it normal for VR to be a bit blurry at the edges of the screen? I tried out a PSVR demo for the first time at Bestbuy today, and I was honestly disappointed. With all the hype I heard about VR, I thought I would be a very immersive experience. I tried out Eve and Batman, but it just felt like strapping a low resolution screen to my face. It really took me out of the experience. I do have glasses, so maybe the headset wasn't close enough to my face. 

So is it normal for VR to be a bit blurry at the edges of the screen? I tried out a PSVR demo for the first time at Bestbuy today, and I was honestly disappointed. With all the hype I heard about VR, I thought I would be a very immersive experience. I tried out Eve and Batman, but it just felt like strapping a low resolution screen to my face. It really took me out of the experience. I do have glasses, so maybe the headset wasn't close enough to my face.
Yes actually. The way the lenses work is the focus is in the middle and your periphery will be slightly less clear until you look that way.

Oh it's immersive. The effect in certain games is well done, such to the point some people feel weird. Remember it's a headset not a HDTV. We're spoiled with fancy graphics which makes this look like a step back when it really isn't. Treat it like a theme park attraction. It'll be great for the price but nothing will 100% make you think you're someplace else.

Just finished batman, can't recommend it enough...great first game that shows everything off imo. Only downfall is it's really short, I played it in one sitting without even realizing it was close to ending lol. It's definitely more of a tech demo but a great one at that. Throwing batarangs is just plain awesome.

No questions asked at Best Buy aside from the typical "is there anything wrong with it". As long as you're within the return period I don't see why you'd need an excuse.

I do kind of regret returning mine, but maybe I'll find a slight deal on one someday...
Will best buy let you return opened movies or video games as long as you have a receipt for cash back? No questions asked?

Also if you want a deal on the playstation vr, it better be a heck of a deal. Someone posted in here sometime back that only the first 2 shipments or so are going to include the "launch edition", then its only Cores available.

Launch edition is $100 more at $500 total, but it does come with 2 move remotes ($100), playstation worlds ($40) and the playstation camera ($60).

So the core headset at $400, iono, you do get alot of stuff with the launch edition.

I dont own the camera or move controllers so this is a good deal to me.

Will best buy let you return opened movies or video games as long as you have a receipt for cash back? No questions asked?
No, you can not return opened games or movies (any media) unless it's defective and can only be returned for the same item. Mostly everything else can be returned.

No, you can not return opened games or movies (any media) unless it's defective and can only be returned for the same item. Mostly everything else can be returned.
So since the VR is considered hardware, best buy would return that for a full refund?

you would think they would be more strict on that since its much more expensive.

I've probably put 5 or 6 hours into VR at this point, mostly with the demo disc and VR Worlds. My non-gaming family members enjoyed Ocean Descent, considering it's basically just a short film since all you do is look around and it requires no controller aptitude or skill whatsoever. I also scared the shit out of a couple of people with the Kitchen demo. My niece looked down, closed her eyes, and refused to look during the attack sequence.

I've found that my favorite of the VR Worlds games is Danger Ball. It's simple, but considering my age, I feel like it's a true successor to the Pong games I played as a kid, like an updated, space-age pong on steroids. It's addictive in that it's easy and simple enough to start but gets challenging enough to be hard to beat. 

The only game that has made me feel naseous is Scavenger's Odyssey. I was perfectly fine with the first person view and even the jumping, but I started to feel disoriented when the game had you leaping from the ground into a sideways position that wouldn't be sustainable in normal gravity. I guess it just kind of threw my equilibrium off. Everything else has been fine, including the RIGS demo, which is what I heard was making most people sick. 

Media player got an update 2.50 for VR support

I tried a short clip of VR por-... videos and can't say I was impressed. First, the image is too blurry due to resolution. Second, it just accentuates how wearing the headset has such an uncomfortable vise-grip clamp on your head. I need to be 100% comfortable or it's a non-starter.

Just finished batman, can't recommend it enough...great first game that shows everything off imo. Only downfall is it's really short, I played it in one sitting without even realizing it was close to ending lol. It's definitely more of a tech demo but a great one at that. Throwing batarangs is just plain awesome.
I just kept dropping batarangs off the Iceberg Lounge in the Penguin scene to watch them bounce off the face of the building. It was surreal. If Sony can actually get 3 million headsets in the market by early 2017 then an 8 hour version of the same game would be money in the bank.

bread's done
Back