Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
My PSVR broke (the optical display wont power up). I returned it to BB to get my $$$ back and now hoping I can find another one because they are all out of stock. Didn't think they were this popular.
So someone is going to buy that unit from BB and it's already broken? Hopefully it's at least a reseller. Glad I got mine at launch.

About the stock, I reported my local walmart having some but after checking today, they are in fact sold out.
Best Buy doesn't sell opened PSVRs. It will be returned to Sony.

On the note of stock: I noticed that every Best Buy store in my area is sold out but they all have between 8 and 15 coming in from Sony or the local warehouse. :)

On the note of stock: I noticed that every Best Buy store in my area is sold out but they all have between 8 and 15 coming in from Sony or the local warehouse. :)
Wow, good news! How did you find this out? You work for best buy?

Guess I will hold out on getting one until these start trickling into other stores and wait for the best deal

Wow, good news! How did you find this out? You work for best buy?

Guess I will hold out on getting one until these start trickling into other stores and wait for the best deal
Yeah, everyone was taking about low stock lately so I looked it up before I left today.

I legit finally found one at Walmart. Last one. I have a very good one in order from Amazon a Warehouse Deals. I could change up shipping and card if anyone is interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While I knew Sony wouldn't have a ton of sets I'm surprised and disappointing they went with the artificial shortage approach.My guess is they made 1m units and have effectively sold through until next year with distributors getting the remaining units from warehouses when possible. If RE7 blows up the internet for VR games Sony will need to double their efforts, which will convince a lot more AAA development to jump on the bandwagon in 2017 if that happens.
That's hillarious "artifical shortage". I see that horse brought out and beaten every single time something is selling really well and people can't find it. "I can't get what I want damn company X for artificially creating a shortage!"

I'd like to see your sources that prove it is indeed in shortage on purpose. Without proof you're just another Internet angry dude mindlessly repeating what all the other angry Internet dudes are chanting.

It was available easily for quite a while. If I had to speculate they were playing it close to the vest and not wanting to over reach financially on over producing units and then suddenly it took off and units dried up. Besides, who the hell shorts supplies on purpose on something in demand the week before Christmas? No one because that is a terrible business plan and they lose money.

I got mine from the taco bell contest though so I'm good.

That's hillarious "artifical shortage". I see that horse brought out and beaten every single time something is selling really well and people can't find it. "I can't get what I want damn company X for artificially creating a shortage!"
There's a shortage for the very reason you described. A natural shortage would be due to totally missed projections on sales estimates or a weak production pipeline. I doubt Sony had either as the PSVR uses a lot of common components. Their sales projections were in a range and they went with the low end of those projections.

I'm not saying they have a million units in a secret warehouse, I'm saying the shortage is artificial because Sony could have prevented it from the start by being more bullish in the VR market.

I bought a unit at release so I don't know why you think I'm mad. What I will say is that I bet Sony would have 250k more unit in the market if they had been more aggressive and that would in turn continue to accelerate VR adoption faster.

I had two units preordered for myself and a guy from work. Got them at launch and it seemed like there was plenty of core units around. Then I heard Playstation said it didn't sell as much as predicted. After Black Friday weekend it seemed to blow up. Alot of moms from work were talking about getting it for their children and it seems hard to find.

I'm thinking it sold decent at launch with preorder's, but most stores still had plenty units. So Playstation held off on more shipments. Then later in the month sales picked back up. Surely they had to ship more since right?

Are they selling out asap in stores? Or is Playstation just not supplying? I haven't seen a single unit in a store since black Friday. Of course that could be said about the NES Classic as well.

I still find it odd the Core doesn't come with at least the camera. I bet there's alot of disappointing people Christmas morning. New PS VR, but they don't own a camera. So they just have a funny looking hat. I bet the camera becomes hard to find after Christmas due to "artifical shortage" as well.

I bought a launch bundle about a week or week and a half after release. I was having a hard time pulling the trigger and my wife came through and wanted to pay for at least half of the cost of it as my Christmas gift, after she saw how much I enjoyed it at the demo kiosk. I had not pre-ordered one. At that time, launch bundles were mostly sold out but the core unit was available everywhere. I was biding my time for about two days until Best Buy got a few more launch units in stock, but the core unit was readily available all of that time. My guess is that between then and now, they finally sold through the initial shipments of core bundles, and like others have said, Sony has been conservative about flooding the market with them due to the cost. Sony is not known for the "artificial shortage" thing like Nintendo is and to my knowledge have never done things that way. 

My guess is that between then and now, they finally sold through the initial shipments of core bundles, and like others have said, Sony has been conservative about flooding the market with them due to the cost. Sony is not known for the "artificial shortage" thing like Nintendo is and to my knowledge have never done things that way.
I think this is dead on though an artificial shortage is by definition underproduction due to the risk of high fixed costs. I don't have to wonder if Sony thought more would sell. Superdata already had to eat crow when they estimated Sony would move 2.8m units before year end. Turns out only 1m were even made. Superdata would not have made that prediction in a vacuum and assumed Sony would be more aggressive in producing VR units. Current scarcity indicates they were right to assume so. While there haven't been 2m in lost unit sales I bet there were quite a few lost sales due to scarcity which slows growth in any kind of market, but especially games. Everyone will be waiting a lot longer for bigger AAA games if Sony caps the adoption rate of VR by playing it conservative.

I think this is dead on though an artificial shortage is by definition underproduction due to the risk of high fixed costs. I don't have to wonder if Sony thought more would sell. Superdata already had to eat crow when they estimated Sony would move 2.8m units before year end. Turns out only 1m were even made. Superdata would not have made that prediction in a vacuum and assumed Sony would be more aggressive in producing VR units. Current scarcity indicates they were right to assume so. While there haven't been 2m in lost unit sales I bet there were quite a few lost sales due to scarcity which slows growth in any kind of market, but especially games. Everyone will be waiting a lot longer for bigger AAA games if Sony caps the adoption rate of VR by playing it conservative.
Good points. I had not thought to define artificial shortage in that context, but it makes sense from an industry perspective. In other words, the parts and labor needed to make them are not in short supply, they are not being made due to market predictions. This is obviously different than the definition of artificial shortage that people have been accusing Nintendo of...which is basically they have the materials and means to make the product by they aren't going to make as many as they can because they want word of mouth free advertising that the item is "rare" and will get people into a frenzy who otherwise may not have bought the item.

Estimating demand isn't a science. Customers are fickle.

Unsold inventory can kill companies.
That's why they have ranges and are created by entire departments. New product categories are difficult but it's not magic. The analytics done to predict demand are very, very much scientific and for the most part supply channels are well maintained and over/under allocation isn't much of a problem. New products are introduced all the time without this issue.

Just to add my 2 cents...

I bought the VR 2 days after launch... and it was just sitting there at Best Buy...  I bought it with the intent to try it and return it...  and I loved it.  
And you can't watch TV without seeing another VR add...  even phones are pushing it now.  Just seems like it has taken off in a way that other "niche" products have not.  This is not the Wii...  or PS Move...  Where there is no outside support...  (If Nintendo or Sony did not do it, no one else would.)  

There are multiple places to get content...  I found a VR website last night that I could ride with the Blue Angels... W O W.  My only real concern at this point is that Sony open up most of the VR channels to us.  (Youtube360 would be HUGE.  Right now you have to download and convert.)   

I am not sure if gaming is where this is going to continue to grow...  I think it is growing in the "how we watch" our programming.  Gaming will just benefit alongside of it.  

Still looking for a sale on Battlezone and DriveClub.  I know that Battlezone's on sale for PSN but holding out for the physical

Did you guys see the free Battlezone classic arcade game dlc coming out this week? I might spend more time on that then on the standard game itself!

Glad I stopped by Target yesterday. I noticed an Xbox One Trackmania in the clearance section so I dug around and found a PS4 copy. Of course it didn't have a clearance sticker and rung up for $29.99 but I was able to pull up the $11.98 listing on their site and they matched it with no issues. :D/

The Brookhaven Experiment

Has anyone played it? Apparently it's a shooter? I thought it was that weird silo game. Looks interesting, might have to check it out.

It is okay. Im not crazy about the gun tracking; its no rush of blood. If youre desperate for content and rich yes as for me i would rather have a refund and wait for resident evil in vr woot!
Brookhaven experiment is basically a wave shooter where you stand in one place and shoot scary creatures in dark places and i dont

I had a 20% off coupon so I broke down and bought I Expect you to Die. i've played only the first level and have to say it's fantastic but certainly not worth 25 (or even 20) bucks. It's incredible for such a small indie team so in some way I didn't mind supporting them but I'd wait until it's 10 bucks because I imagine it's a 1-2 hour game overall.

Played some Carnival Games VR and Holoball earlier and enjoyed them both a great deal, especially for their great tracking.

Carnival Games VR is what you expect as you are visiting a park with various amusement games to play like the ball toss, ring toss, shooting gallery, skee ball, and a variety of others. You try to get high scores in each game and reach the three star mark to earn the max amount of tickets to spend in the prize booth, which is for the silly playroom physics sandbox area. Most of the games play really well with great tracking that was really impressive coming from the memory of the cashcow Wii games. The stuff that impressed me most was the wall climbing that was easy to play and it was nice to not get motion sickness from moving around in that game. The worst was the pitch catching game, which wasn't very intuitive as the difficulty ramps up quickly. The game as a whole isn't a deep experience by its nature, but it's a good, easy showcase title to show others some easy applications for what PSVR + Move can do to VR newbies. $10 was a good price for that.

Holoball is basically solo VR pong with a Tron aesthetic to it, as you try to hit a ball past an AI paddle on the opposite wall for almost every mode. For whatever reason, the game broke right away with the AI drifting to the top right of the wall and staying there, but that seemed to be the result of me messing with the settings mid-match that stuck for a while as I tried other modes. Once it fixed itself, the great tracking lead to it being a really fun and physical game of VR racquetball. As for modes, there is a campaign mode with a few difficulties, an arcade mode, endurance mode, and a zen mode with leaderboards for each mode. The current price ($14.99) is a solid price, though any discounts make it even more of a recommendation.

A complete wiki list of PSVR releases would be awesome in the first post, with markdowns as we find them. I'm waiting for most of the PSVR titles I'm interested in (Office SImulator, I Expect You to Die, Headmaster, etc) to drop to reasonable prices, like $10-$15. For games without much depth or serious replay, the prices are early adopter level, rather than the App store novelty prices they deserve. 

And thanks for the mini-reviews. I'm finding myself tempted by Carnival VR, if just to show off the hardware.

Some thoughts about PSVR games:

We have enjoyed Harmonix VR, although it does have it's flaws. It's not terrifically expensive, and could be worthwhile just for the painting program. The painting program is a fine showcase for the move hardware when recognition works, but has the annoying flaw of requiring a playlist of their music and quitting out when the playlist ends. The other experiences are worth trying, but not something you'll play more than a couple of times. It's easily worth $10, but paying $20 for it could be a reach if you are  not a dyed in the wool Harmonix fan. 

I bought Eve Valkyrie since it seems like it could have enough depth and gameplay to merit a full price purchase. And it's also been in development for years, so I'm hoping to get my money's worth. I've only played about an hour and I enjoyed it, but you probably have to be interested in a space shooter to bother. This game is unlikely to make you a fan of the genre (Wing Commander!)

Overall, the PSVR is still a novelty for us.  If No Man's Sky comes out with a VR version (seems like teleporting surface travel would be an upgrade for the game), I'd finally have something I could play for hours instead of minutes. 

Do not know if this has been posted but "According to Canalys, Sony has reportedly sold over 800,000 shipments in less than three months. It could have pushed out even more headsets - initial estimates were for around 1.4 million sales - but there's been a bump in the manufacturing road.

Due to "problems making its OLED displays," Sony hasn't advertised PS VR as much this holiday season since it can't meet the demands."
http://www.wareable.com/vr/sony-playstation-vr-outsells-htc-vive-and-oculus-rift-3640
Seems there is/was a problem in making the OLED displays.

You sure this isn't just a request for more from Sony? I would think that if they were already purchased and in the warehouse they would of been showing up at stores by now, or at leaset online. Best Buy doesn't gain anything by letting them sit there

Somebody said Wing Commander!!  WHERE!!  MUST BUY!!!  :)  

Enjoyed the Tether demo last night.  

Saw a free game - Toon Wars or something...  I was shocked... it was pretty fun!!  Anyone else tried it?  (Go with the advanced controls...  easier then the other ones...)  

Glad I stopped by Target yesterday. I noticed an Xbox One Trackmania in the clearance section so I dug around and found a PS4 copy. Of course it didn't have a clearance sticker and rung up for $29.99 but I was able to pull up the $11.98 listing on their site and they matched it with no issues. :D/
Glad I saw your post O:) as I was getting my PSVR and racing rig setup w/ some good racing games and researched this title. Went to Target and grabbed the last 2 copies and it is on clearance for $9.98. Seems this title might be difficult to get as everyone has it for almost $30-$40.

That's why they have ranges and are created by entire departments. New product categories are difficult but it's not magic. The analytics done to predict demand are very, very much scientific and for the most part supply channels are well maintained and over/under allocation isn't much of a problem. New products are introduced all the time without this issue.
Lol. Next time you in a store, look at all the products that are overstocked and didn't sell.

Played some Carnival Games VR and Holoball earlier and enjoyed them both a great deal, especially for their great tracking.

Carnival Games VR is what you expect as you are visiting a park with various amusement games to play like the ball toss, ring toss, shooting gallery, skee ball, and a variety of others. You try to get high scores in each game and reach the three star mark to earn the max amount of tickets to spend in the prize booth, which is for the silly playroom physics sandbox area. Most of the games play really well with great tracking that was really impressive coming from the memory of the cashcow Wii games. The stuff that impressed me most was the wall climbing that was easy to play and it was nice to not get motion sickness from moving around in that game. The worst was the pitch catching game, which wasn't very intuitive as the difficulty ramps up quickly. The game as a whole isn't a deep experience by its nature, but it's a good, easy showcase title to show others some easy applications for what PSVR + Move can do to VR newbies. $10 was a good price for that.

Holoball is basically solo VR pong with a Tron aesthetic to it, as you try to hit a ball past an AI paddle on the opposite wall for almost every mode. For whatever reason, the game broke right away with the AI drifting to the top right of the wall and staying there, but that seemed to be the result of me messing with the settings mid-match that stuck for a while as I tried other modes. Once it fixed itself, the great tracking lead to it being a really fun and physical game of VR racquetball. As for modes, there is a campaign mode with a few difficulties, an arcade mode, endurance mode, and a zen mode with leaderboards for each mode. The current price ($14.99) is a solid price, though any discounts make it even more of a recommendation.
Glad to see another Carnival Games VR fan. I enjoy it, too. Especially the wall climbing game - that's a hell of an experience!

Do not know if this has been posted but "According to Canalys, Sony has reportedly sold over 800,000 shipments in less than three months. It could have pushed out even more headsets - initial estimates were for around 1.4 million sales - but there's been a bump in the manufacturing road.

Due to "problems making its OLED displays," Sony hasn't advertised PS VR as much this holiday season since it can't meet the demands."
http://www.wareable.com/vr/sony-playstation-vr-outsells-htc-vive-and-oculus-rift-3640
Seems there is/was a problem in making the OLED displays.
I'm a bit skeptical but I guess this could happen. PSVR has a nice OLED panel in it but it's not so high res or small that it should have been hard to source. Seems odd for other analysts to have 2.5m predicted and Canalys with half that. Most outlets estimate 800k sold through which effectively looks like every one manufactured.

Lol. Next time you in a store, look at all the products that are overstocked and didn't sell.
It is true that Sony probably got cold feet when they saw all those unsold Kate Spade iphone cases collecting dust at Best Buy. Smart move on their part.

I beat Rush of Blood last night. Finally played the final "Inferno" level after replaying several prior levels to improve my skills/score. 

Don't want to give spoilers, but I'm amazed and in awe by the experience of fighting the final boss. The VR immersion excels at making the scale seem so large and amazing. In this case we will just say the boss you fight is nearly the size of Godzilla, but to see that in VR and really feel like it's standing over you, is a brand new experience. I feel like that's what has made me a fan of VR, those new bodily experiences that you can never get in real life. It's just immersive enough to make you feel like it would be that way in real life, but not enough to actually make you think it were happening.  

I wasn't going to buy a VR... won one from Taco Bell... didn't know it would end up being "rare" this year. I've used it like 5 times for Rez and it sits on the floor in my living room. I really should use it more...

Is anybody getting problems with vision after playing PSVR?

Initially I used to feel like I am still in virtual world while using my mobile etc. but now feel like having focus/double vision issues.

I beat Rush of Blood last night. Finally played the final "Inferno" level after replaying several prior levels to improve my skills/score.

Don't want to give spoilers, but I'm amazed and in awe by the experience of fighting the final boss. The VR immersion excels at making the scale seem so large and amazing. In this case we will just say the boss you fight is nearly the size of Godzilla, but to see that in VR and really feel like it's standing over you, is a brand new experience. I feel like that's what has made me a fan of VR, those new bodily experiences that you can never get in real life. It's just immersive enough to make you feel like it would be that way in real life, but not enough to actually make you think it were happening.
Yeah, I heard Jim Sterling of all people say something similar. Hard to believe but I'd buy VR light gun shooters like people buy COD if they were 20 bucks for the level of quality Rush of Blood had.

How long is the double vision/lack of focus lasting?
Have been having bit of problem whole day today, though not severe. Don't have headache or such but feel a bit unfocussed when looking at the keyboard.

Just wanted to see if people here using PSVR feel some later side effects apart from headache/nausea.

I agree, Rush of Blood is still one of my favorite games on psvr. It makes you really feel like you are there. That is the main problem with VR, you cannot explain the feeling and immersion, it has to be experienced. Even with all of the new games coming out, I still continue to play Rush of Blood. One game I will say that just came out that is hugely underated is Staship Disco.

I have been seeing the core VR at WM on a consistent basis (Ohio). The camera can be found for $30-40 and I purchased an extra used wand from GS.

So the PSN deals and update is live. Fruit Ninja VR looks good but not plat for 15 bucks is lame. Lethal VR is supposed to be a pretty legit shooting gallery game though like everything PSVR is kinda barebones. Rollercoaster Dreams seems absurd, kinda tempted to try it out since it has a lot of content even if hilariously broken. 

Finally I'm recommending SuperHyperCube at 20 bucks because it's ridiculously fun for such a simple game.

So the PSN deals and update is live. Fruit Ninja VR looks good but not plat for 15 bucks is lame. Lethal VR is supposed to be a pretty legit shooting gallery game though like everything PSVR is kinda barebones. Rollercoaster Dreams seems absurd, kinda tempted to try it out since it has a lot of content even if hilariously broken.

Finally I'm recommending SuperHyperCube at 20 bucks because it's ridiculously fun for such a simple game.
Sell me more on superhypercube please

Sell me more on superhypercube please
Sure, it loads quickly, is easy to restart, has no calibration issues, and has a style that doesn't reveal the PSVR's inherent graphic limitations. After a couple of hours you tend to get better so depending on how much time you invest there's always more to see since every ten levels the graphic style changes and it's really, really fun and trippy; sort of a classed up take on early 80's CG. From a design perspective you really start using the natural advantages of VR as a camera to look around the cube and figure out how to rotate it to fit into the opening in the wall. Gamespot's review argued that you could have done that by putting the camera on a thumbstick but they're full of crap because there's no way you could do it as quickly and intuitively as you do by just moving your actual head. It's the opposite of deep game though, and I ended playing it mostly when I got the VR headset for another game and just had to do a few rounds of hypercube because it's so convenient and addictive.

Sure, it loads quickly, is easy to restart, has no calibration issues, and has a style that doesn't reveal the PSVR's inherent graphic limitations. After a couple of hours you tend to get better so depending on how much time you invest there's always more to see since every ten levels the graphic style changes and it's really, really fun and trippy; sort of a classed up take on early 80's CG. From a design perspective you really start using the natural advantages of VR as a camera to look around the cube and figure out how to rotate it to fit into the opening in the wall. Gamespot's review argued that you could have done that by putting the camera on a thumbstick but they're full of crap because there's no way you could do it as quickly and intuitively as you do by just moving your actual head. It's the opposite of deep game though, and I ended playing it mostly when I got the VR headset for another game and just had to do a few rounds of hypercube because it's so convenient and addictive.
Neat. Thanks

bread's done
Back