Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
What's everybody's opinion on Here They Lie good or complete garbage? It's on sale so I'm wondering if I should grab it
It's ok for a budget indie title IMHO. The graphics are blurry as hell and can be a little disorienting for some, I didn't have an issue with it personally. If you can find it for $10 on a PSN sale then it's worth it, $15 max. Don't go in expecting RE7 quality though

Best Buy has 6.5' extension cord for PlayStation Camera on sale for 4.99, normally 19.99. Good for getting the camera up higher, which some say helps improve tracking.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-6-5-camera-extension-cable-for-playstation-4/9323926.p?id=1219418741385&skuId=9323926
I bought that cord a while back and put the camera on top of my 65" tv. It gave me all sorts of tracking issues. In job simulator, the virutal floor was messed up and even though you can change it, the tracking seemed to be thrown off. London heist also gave me some issues. Once I put the camera back on my entertainment center, the tracking issues went away.

The PS4 can save to an external drive but you can't play the games off of an external drive, you would have to move (reinstall) them back to the internal. Someone once explained the whole thing to me, it had to do with the way the unit processes the information and the reason the XB1 can but the PS4 cannot has something to do with Microsoft having the proprietary rights to some of the tech involved.
What he is asking is how well it will perform once the new firmware update allows you to store and play games from an external drive. The topic was brought up a few posts above yours

I read the ideal height for the camera was head height. If you are standing having it on top of a TV is probably good.

We have an 82" tv, so we have to put it on the entertainment center. It didn't work well at all on top of the TV.

Hopefully they'll allow us to copy games to and from the external HD and not just move them.  Would be nice to be able to keep backups on the external and then just delete games from the hard drive when we want to free up space rather than continually having to move them back and forth.

Hopefully they'll allow us to copy games to and from the external HD and not just move them. Would be nice to be able to keep backups on the external and then just delete games from the hard drive when we want to free up space rather than continually having to move them back and forth.
You'll be able to play them off of the external

If anyone has the beta. I'm sure we would all love to hear about 3D movies VR!!
I've quite a few impressions after trying the beta and getting some a bunch of new VR games over the week.

PSVR 3D BluRay: Overall the experience was excellent. I tried The Lego Movie with both Normal and Large displays. The goggles provide an optimum scenario for 3D because they are perfectly positioned to eliminate crosstalk and aren't passive which prevents the flickering common with active 3D. The only weakness is the low resolution of the screen which continues to be the only really weak part of PSVR to me. I don't see using it much because I have very little time.

RE7: Played an hour and it's pretty amazing. I don't care for the horror genre (played RE4 and RE5 but little in horror after those) but the experience is so incredible it validates PSVR as competitive VR option to me. Playing on easy so I don't chicken out.

Wayward Sky: bought this with the sale and it's pretty great. It's great easy but it has a beautiful style and feels like pretty great themepark ride. It's a mix of first person flip switching and 3rd person point and click with great sound and decent VO work.

How We Soar: This game is pretty but also quite slow and simple. It has a plat and plenty of content so I'm tempted to take my time and plat it but admittedly there's plenty of good stuff on sale better than this imo. In this game you fly around through rings and that's it. You can "color" the world to get half of the trophies but that mechanic isn't critical to moving the story. It has decent visuals but excellent music and good style.

Of the games on the PSVR sale, these are the games I've played:

:ps4: 100ft Robot Golf - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Battlezone - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Bound - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Carnival Games VR - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Headmaster - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
HoloBall - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Loading Human: Chapter 1 - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7

Pinball FX2 VR - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Space Rift: Episode 1 - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Sports Bar VR - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
SuperHyperCube - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Super Stardust Ultra VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Volume - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 2/7

I also own but haven't played:

:ps4: The Assembly - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Catlateral Damage - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Harmonix Music VR - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7

Pixel Gear - $7.69 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Thumper - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7

The games I'd easily recommend:

Battlezone - The only cockpit game I've played that hasn't given me issues. It plays really well and the devs have supported it well post launch with a Classic mode to give it the vector-style look of the original.

Carnival Games VR - Might be a surprising choice, but Carnival Games VR is a really well made showcase with great tracking for its motion controls a lineup of carnival games that only has two or three duds. It's just a fun pick up and play game.

Headmaster - A simple concept that is well executed as you take on a variety of challenges in this soccer internment camp to learn how to make header goals with a bit of a silly sense of humor.

HoloBall - A mix of Pong and Racquetball that is another game with great tracking and one of the few PSVR games with some form of Room Scale. It's a fun arcade-style game with a great sense of style.

Pinball FX2 VR - Lets you play three of Zen Studios' original tables in a cool, expensive loft that changes based on the table you're playing.

SuperHyperCube - One of the best PSVR games around as a puzzle game version of Hole in the Wall where you have to peer around the transforming cube you're controlling to see how you should twist and turn it to fit into the oncoming hole. It has just the one mode, but it's a great fit for VR.

Volume - This MGS VR Mission-style stealth game is turned into a holographic projection that you can control to play all of the original levels plus a number of exclusive levels that are only available if you play it with PSVR.

Thoughts on the other games I've played:

100ft Robot Golf - Fun, silly golf game that is probably better played the old fashioned way.

Bound - A great 3D, artsy platformer whose camera stays stationary until you reset it, which may have been changed in a update since then. It's great for the vibe and style of the game, but that doesn't require PSVR to experience that.
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - Great for fans of the Hatsune Miku music, as this is largely a VR HM concert game where you're in the audience. There are some interactive bits where you can affect the performance and maybe get a special one-on-one performance at the end. The trophies require a lot of replaying the concert.

Loading Human: Chapter 1 - Enjoyed this as a first-person adventure game with plenty of physics silliness to be had in the first few areas. I had a little bit of VR sickness from the weird locomotion, but it was fine otherwise.

Space Rift: Episode 1 - Haven't played much of it, but it was a neat space ship action/adventure game from what I saw.
Sports Bar VR - Social sandbox game that is pretty cool, but loses some of its appeal without others around for the MP games it offers. It does offer a lot of silly physics fun to be had if you want to make a mess in a sports bar.
Star Wars Battlefront - Paid less for this to play the free VR Mission, so you could wait for a slightly cheaper price for what's largely a single mission experience if you're not interested in the base game. The mission itself is really well done and a lot of fun for about 20 minutes.
Super Stardust Ultra VR - Lets you play all of the original game's content from a top-down view that works really well. There is also a special VR cockpit mode that is cool and very different from the base game, but this has been pretty consistent in giving me VR sickness when I've played it a few times.

I've done a number of PSVR videos on the SmashPad Youtube channel if you want to see some of these games along with others in action.
Following this up after playing a number of other PSVR games:

Thumper - An excellent rhythm game that seems like it's a simple one-lane RB-esque rhythm game, but layers on more mechanics to keep you on your toes. The style fits VR really well since you're just focused on the one lane and whatever's going on in the background.

NBA 2KVR Experience - About as lackadaisical a PSVR game as I've seen. There is no Move support like the Rift/Vive versions, so all you're doing in looking down to grab a ball and looking at the net to shoot. There are a decent amount of modes based on that one mechanic, but it feels like the $9/$15 VR version of those cheap flick kicking mobile games.

Proton Pulse Plus - Similar to HoloBall, but this is kind of 3D Breakout with a worse art style. I played through a bunch and accidently quit despite having plenty of lives to keep going because the control scheme on Move is weird. Move is useless for the game since you don't really do anything with it. Stick with HoloBall.
Time Machine VR - Newest game from Minority (Papo & Yo). It's a time traveling adventure game where you're a new cadet working for a time travel science company before bad things happen that put a lot more on your plate. It's all first person piloting this time travel vessel that lets you swim through water easily to observe species under the oceans and whatnot with various tools to do your work. I got a slight bit of motion sickness, but it didn't get any worse than that.
Wayward Sky - A really charming puzzle adventure game with a great art style and design for VR. It doesn't try to be too complicated for what it needs to be. Highly recommended alongside Thumper from this recent group.

There seems to be a big PS+ sale on PSVR titles, so here's the list I wrote up for the other thread ( :ps4: means it doesn't require PSVR):

:ps4: 100ft Robot Golf - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Ace Banana - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: The Assembly - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Battlezone - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Bound - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
The Brookhaven Experiment - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Carnival Games VR - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Catlateral Damage - $4.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Harmonix Music VR - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva X - $29.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - 1st Stage - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Hatsune Miku: VR Future Live - Season Pass - $27.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7

Headmaster - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Here They Lie - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
HoloBall - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
How We Soar - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Hustle Kings VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Loading Human: Chapter 1 - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
NBA 2KVR Experience - $8.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7

Pinball FX2 VR - $11.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Pinball FX2 VR - Season 1 Pack - $17.49 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Pixel Gear - $7.69 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Proton Pulse Plus - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7
Robinson: The Journey - $41.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Space Rift: Episode 1 - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Sports Bar VR - $13.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe Edition - $14.99 - 60% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition - $23.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7 - Required for Free VR Mission
:ps4: Star Wars Battlefront - Season Pass - $17.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
SuperHyperCube - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Super Stardust Ultra VR - $14.99 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
Surgeon Simulator: Experience Reality - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Tethered - $26.39 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Tethered Divine Edition - $30.39 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Thumper - $15.99 - 20% Off - Ends 2/7
Time Machine VR - $20.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Tumble VR - $7.49 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7
:ps4: Volume - $4.99 - 75% Off - Ends 2/7
Waddle Home - $6.99 - 30% Off - Ends 2/7
Wayward Sky - $11.99 - 40% Off - Ends 2/7
Windlands - $18.74 - 25% Off - Ends 2/7

Two new releases:

Dexed - $9.99

Eagle Flight & Werewolves Within PSVR Bundle - $54.99

There is also a new demo:

Bound

I'll post impressions for things I've played for those that might want to see them. Here are my thoughts on HoloBall and Carnival Games VR from before.
Reminder: You've got about 12 hours left to this sale.

Anybody hear anything about StarBlood arena? I see it's up for pre-order at BB.

It's a space VR shooter. 

Considering grabbing it with some other games w/ the VISA checkout discount, but the youtube videos make it look kinda meh.

The Dirt Rally PSVR stuff is out now, so you have a few options. You can get the base game + PSVR pack at full price for about $0.11 cheaper than the bundle if you have PS+, so that's the ultimate cheap ass move. The bundle only includes three $2 car packs that unlocks them early with upgrades pre-installed, so the choice is yours to make. Without PS+, I believe there's a $0.41 difference.

Dirt Rally - $29.99 - 50% Off - $23.99 - 60% Off - Ends 2/21

Dirt Rally Plus PlayStation VR Bundle - $43.39 - 38% Off - $37.09 - 47% Off - Ends 2/21

The PSVR upgrade itself:

PSVR Dirt Rally - PlayStation VR Upgrade DLC Add-on - $12.99

Ok, so its been a few months now. Has it officially been determined what causes "drifting" when using playstation VR?

I turned on the PS VR whileplaying RE7 (wasnt in VR mode but i could still play using the headset) and the visuals on screen would keep drifting off to the left little by little until instead of looking directly ahead of me, i had to turn my head to the left a complete 90 degrees to see the gameplay.

What causes this?  I remember when first playing PS Worlds this would happens alot and it drove me crazy.

Ok, so its been a few months now. Has it officially been determined what causes "drifting" when using playstation VR?

I turned on the PS VR whileplaying RE7 (wasnt in VR mode but i could still play using the headset) and the visuals on screen would keep drifting off to the left little by little until instead of looking directly ahead of me, i had to turn my head to the left a complete 90 degrees to see the gameplay.

What causes this? I remember when first playing PS Worlds this would happens alot and it drove me crazy.
That happens to me as well when I use it to play non-VR games. I was assuming I was too far away from the camera and the light is interfering

I'm guessing this is a long shot but anyone heard of any presidents day deals on psvr? I know they are still limited stock most places but couldn't hurt to ask

I wouldn't expect to see any deals until they can keep them in stock unless you are looking for a used one at GameStop.

What causes this? I remember when first playing PS Worlds this would happens alot and it drove me crazy.
I was having all sorts of drifting issues until I fixed my camera setup, and it was basically night and day. I'd start playing with it and see if you have any improvement before trying to send it to Sony.

Has anyone played the Vive, and can compare their experience with the PSVR?

I played the Vive this weekend at my buddy's work, and wasn't overly impressed.

Finally played Dirt Rally in VR. The game is  fuck ing hard. Soul crushingly so for someone like myself with limited time to keep driving a track over and over and an ever increasing backlog. It's fantastic if you like painfully touchy racing games but after an hour I deleted it or I would have thrown my controller through the window. I played it back to back with more RE7 (just got to the molded so you know where I'm at) and graphically RE7 still holds crown for best looking VR game by a mile. That said, Dirt looks decent enough and much, much better than Driveclub from what I remember. Rally was strange in that I got the "VR sweats" after an 30-40 minutes but never really felt nauseous. I've heard few people get motion sickness and frankly I think the only reason it happened to me was I had already put an hour into RE7 and 2 hours in VR is taxing regardless of what you play. Looking forward to Rhombus of Ruin tonight.

What games did you play? From my experience, the VIVE is more interactive and tracks better due to the double cameras and a better controllers than the move. Most of the games I played you actually move your whole body. Definitely what I imagined VR could be. Whereas the PSVR is more of just being immersed in the world visually, but you sit there most of the time. A very terrible example would be playing Dance Dance Revolution with a dancepad vs a controller.

The things the PSVR beats VIVE out on is potential known IP games (though I haven't really kept up on what's coming out on the VIVE recently), headset a bit more comfortable (IMO), cheaper, doesn't require a crazy PC, and requires less setup space. The problem is many PSVR games (at least the ones I've seen or tried) don't really give you an option to move around such as dodging with your body (and not just your head) and jumping because it wasn't made for that. I don't even know if it is capable of those type of games. Maybe a better example would be playing the wii where one guy just sits there moving his hand, and the other person moves his whole body. I actually feel they're for different audiences.

The Vive has a higher res screen and the PC can push better visuals. Vive does room scale movement well. The PSVR is more comfortable and the screen doesn't show pixels as poorly. If you weren't impressed by the fundamentals of VR then there's not likely a headset coming in the next 5 years that will change that.

I've got a video of Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin that's live now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkQQkB6xbFI

I haven't beaten it yet to offer a full opinion on it, but I've really enjoyed the hour or so I've put into it so far. It does a good job of delivering good Psychonauts humor in a manner that fits VR well.

Is Dirt Rally getting a physical re-packaged version with the VR content included and all on one-disc? Or is it strictly DLC? 

Is Dirt Rally getting a physical re-packaged version with the VR content included and all on one-disc? Or is it strictly DLC?
It already did in Europe but I haven't seen evidence of a US re-release yet. Word of warning that the game is unbelievably difficult for casual racers. I've never quite a game so fast and while I really appreciate the VR support I suggest everyone prequalify by reading reviews of the vanilla version and accounts from people comparing that with VR. Most people indicate that VR makes it easier but that's not saying much imo.

It already did in Europe but I haven't seen evidence of a US re-release yet. Word of warning that the game is unbelievably difficult for casual racers. I've never quite a game so fast and while I really appreciate the VR support I suggest everyone prequalify by reading reviews of the vanilla version and accounts from people comparing that with VR. Most people indicate that VR makes it easier but that's not saying much imo.
Yeah, I don't play many Rally games or even that many racing games, but hearing that this is hard doesn't really surprise me. I used to like Sega Rally on the Saturn back when that was really popular but it was very hard to play. Cars were very touchy and sensitive and it was difficult to turn well until you really got the feel of it down. I don't know if they are trying to simulate how the cars perform in those conditions in real life, or if it's just a coincidence that they are difficult to play.

What games did you play? From my experience, the VIVE is more interactive and tracks better due to the double cameras and a better controllers than the move. Most of the games I played you actually move your whole body. Definitely what I imagined VR could be. Whereas the PSVR is more of just being immersed in the world visually, but you sit there most of the time. A very terrible example would be playing Dance Dance Revolution with a dancepad vs a controller.

The things the PSVR beats VIVE out on is potential known IP games (though I haven't really kept up on what's coming out on the VIVE recently), headset a bit more comfortable (IMO), cheaper, doesn't require a crazy PC, and requires less setup space. The problem is many PSVR games (at least the ones I've seen or tried) don't really give you an option to move around such as dodging with your body (and not just your head) and jumping because it wasn't made for that. I don't even know if it is capable of those type of games. Maybe a better example would be playing the wii where one guy just sits there moving his hand, and the other person moves his whole body. I actually feel they're for different audiences.

The Vive has a higher res screen and the PC can push better visuals. Vive does room scale movement well. The PSVR is more comfortable and the screen doesn't show pixels as poorly. If you weren't impressed by the fundamentals of VR then there's not likely a headset coming in the next 5 years that will change that.
Thanks for the feedback. The main ones I played were The Lab, Brookhaven Experiment, and Fruit Ninja. Also, it was on a laptop I think was a bit dated with a 980M graphics card. I did think the headset was a bit uncomfortable on the VIVE. I'm glad I got to atleast play a bit of VR so I could get an idea if it was something I was interested in. I think I'll hold off on getting anything until the technology evolves a bit more. I think once it could do full room tracking, have a wider field of view, and becomes wireless, that's probably when I'll jump in.

Yeah, I don't play many Rally games or even that many racing games, but hearing that this is hard doesn't really surprise me. I used to like Sega Rally on the Saturn back when that was really popular but it was very hard to play. Cars were very touchy and sensitive and it was difficult to turn well until you really got the feel of it down. I don't know if they are trying to simulate how the cars perform in those conditions in real life, or if it's just a coincidence that they are difficult to play.
To put it into perspective, the tutorials for Dirt Rally literally start with idea of breaking your "preconceived" notions of Rally driving physics. I went there out of desperation after multiple failures and lol'd when it started with trying to break my "habit" of over corrective steering. Then I went to try a 10 minute hill climb up Pike's Peak and half an hour (and 100 virtual deaths) later retired from Rally racing forever.

Do we have a list of psvr games on retail physical disc that are, and ones coming out?

I'd like to get all the vr games that are on disc.

Some PSVR games are on sale today:

Dirt Rally Plus PlayStation VR Bundle - $43.39 - 38% Off - $37.09 - 47% Off - Ends 2/21 - [customspoiler='Better deal']Dirt Rally + PSVR Upgrade for a bit cheaper ($0.11 to $0.40) without the car unlock DLC included[/customspoiler]

Psychonauts in The Rhombus of Ruin - $17.99 - 10% Off

Rez Infinite - $22.49 - 25% Off - $20.09 - 33% Off - Ends 2/28

Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20 Year Celebration - $35.99 - 40% Off - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/28

Star Wars Battlefront - $11.99 - 40% Off - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/28 - Free PSVR Mission

Star Wars Battlefront Deluxe Edition - $17.99 - 40% Off - $14.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/28 - Free PSVR Mission

Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition - $23.99 - 40% Off - $19.99 - 50% Off - Ends 2/28 - Free PSVR Mission

Last edited by a moderator:
The whole point of Dirt Rally's existence was to make a game for the series' hardcore fans that wanted them to return with a hardcore-ish rally sim like the older games in the series.

Rez Infinite got an update to add Move support for Area 1 through 5.

Surgeon Sim also got an update with a variety of bug fixes and improved grabbing.

bread's done
Back