Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Had some Amazon credit so I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night on a pre-order of Farpoint with the Aim controller. I feel like Farpoint is going to be fun but short, barely any other games will use the Aim controller, and it will eventually sit behind my entertainment center as a dust collector. Oh well. 

Had some Amazon credit so I went ahead and pulled the trigger last night on a pre-order of Farpoint with the Aim controller. I feel like Farpoint is going to be fun but short, barely any other games will use the Aim controller, and it will eventually sit behind my entertainment center as a dust collector. Oh well.
This sounds very accurate exactly how I feel but I will buy it anyway

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/04/06/eve-valkyrie-groundrush-update-adds-new-map-enhances-co-op-more/

Eve Valkyrie is getting a big update on 4/11 with a new planetside map, new weekend wormholes, co-op expanding to include both control and carrier assault modes, taunts, English subtitles, and some more smaller things.

https://twitter.com/KOOPMode/status/847106284528783360

The pre-order is $13.49 (10% off) for PS+ people:

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/games/gnog/cid=UP0399-CUSA04641_00-000000000GNOGPS4

Since Eve Gunjack is 60% off right now, I finally decided to download and play it last night. 

It's a simple but fun turret game that is pretty easy to get into and probably won't make anyone sick. You spend each level in a heavily armed ship defense turret holding off increasingly difficult waves of enemy attacks by destroying ships, missiles, asteroids, and other attackers before they get to you. You use your head and the tracking of the VR to view all around within the turret and simply look at what you want to shoot and fire as the reticle connects with your target. You will eventually get special weapons and abilities to use on a limited basis and are awarded from 1-3 stars for each level based on your score which is dictated by a multiplier. The more waves of enemies you can wipe out without getting hit, the higher your score will be.

The game does get repetitive after awhile. It looks like there are 20 stages in total, and after 10 I was ready to stop, not because I was sick or fatigued, but just because it had gotten to be enough for me in one sitting. There is some replay value in going back and replaying levels to try to get 3 stars or increase your score or earn specific trophies. But essentially you will be doing the same thing.

In summary I think Gunjack is a great value at the price I paid (4 bucks) and a great entry point for a beginner to experience VR in a fun manner that isn't too involved or difficult. The experience is too shallow to be considered a full experience, but at the price point I paid it's more enjoyment than I would have gotten from a 5-7 dollar value meal at a fast food joint.  

Since Eve Gunjack is 60% off right now, I finally decided to download and play it last night.

It's a simple but fun turret game that is pretty easy to get into and probably won't make anyone sick. You spend each level in a heavily armed ship defense turret holding off increasingly difficult waves of enemy attacks by destroying ships, missiles, asteroids, and other attackers before they get to you. You use your head and the tracking of the VR to view all around within the turret and simply look at what you want to shoot and fire as the reticle connects with your target. You will eventually get special weapons and abilities to use on a limited basis and are awarded from 1-3 stars for each level based on your score which is dictated by a multiplier. The more waves of enemies you can wipe out without getting hit, the higher your score will be.

The game does get repetitive after awhile. It looks like there are 20 stages in total, and after 10 I was ready to stop, not because I was sick or fatigued, but just because it had gotten to be enough for me in one sitting. There is some replay value in going back and replaying levels to try to get 3 stars or increase your score or earn specific trophies. But essentially you will be doing the same thing.

In summary I think Gunjack is a great value at the price I paid (4 bucks) and a great entry point for a beginner to experience VR in a fun manner that isn't too involved or difficult. The experience is too shallow to be considered a full experience, but at the price point I paid it's more enjoyment than I would have gotten from a 5-7 dollar value meal at a fast food joint.
Appreciate the recommendation. Going to pick it up tonight.

Agreed on Gunjack being a solid purchase. Gunjack is basically first-person Galaga with the way enemy patterns work. It's not as good as Galaga, but it's a good early and cheap VR game. If you didn't know, it's an Eve game, so it's in the same universe as Eve Online and Eve Valkyrie despite there being little story to it.

Ditto on the Gunjack recommendation. I wavered on it before and after your write up and the current sale price it is even harder to pass up. So i will bite :)

I bought Headmaster with a 20% coupon when it was also on sale. I have to say it's one of the best casual VR games I've played since it's easy to play, has a good since of humor, and had a pretty fantastic party mode and PS4 Pro support added. Right around 10-15 dollar mark I'd say totally worth it.

Just seen on amazon they have the farpoint bundle for 60.48 even cheaper than the 64.99 with prime and gcu.
Good catch. Ordered one with my secondary non-Prime AMZ account to use up some credit there. Good to get a deal better than GCU or the Prime 20% that's available to everyone with free shipping.

I'm tempted to get the Farpoint deal, but I just wonder if that game will make me too dizzy to play like Robinson: The Journey did.

Any news on whether or not they built in settings to help minimize motion sickness in this game?

I'm tempted to get the Farpoint deal, but I just wonder if that game will make me too dizzy to play like Robinson: The Journey did.

Any news on whether or not they built in settings to help minimize motion sickness in this game?
I had to stop playing Robinson because of the movement. I have never felt sick in vr until playing that game. RE7 was ok and rigs was no problem whatsover. I never ever wanna feeeeeeel like I felt that day

I want to pick up that Farpoint bundle, but I haven't played my VR in awhile. I wonder what stock is going to be like for it, especially since it's only for people with ps vr. I guess I could get it, then I'll have something that can sit next to the Sharpshooter under my pc desk. I'm worried Farpoint will be the only game that works with it.

Is it really that special of a gun?  I mean, wouldn't the Sharpshooter work for it?  Or even just using the regular Move like we have been in all the other PSVR move games?

I want to pick up that Farpoint bundle, but I haven't played my VR in awhile. I wonder what stock is going to be like for it, especially since it's only for people with ps vr. I guess I could get it, then I'll have something that can sit next to the Sharpshooter under my pc desk. I'm worried Farpoint will be the only game that works with it.
Same here, I have't played my VR in awhile either and Farpoint is one of the games coming soon that interests me, but not sure how great it will be or if anything else will use the gun outside of it either.

Is it really that special of a gun? I mean, wouldn't the Sharpshooter work for it? Or even just using the regular Move like we have been in all the other PSVR move games?
From what I understand it only works with the VR Aim Gun or a Dual Shock 4. You can't use move controllers at all with this game from my understanding.

The Farpoint Bundle is $60.48 at both Amazon and Walmart.com. Saves you a few $ over the GCU price of $63.99

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Farpoint-with-Aim-Controller-PlayStation-VR/55589116
https://www.amazon.com/PSVR-Aim-Controller-Farpoint-Bundle-PlayStation/dp/B06XGPF3CW/

Is it really that special of a gun? I mean, wouldn't the Sharpshooter work for it? Or even just using the regular Move like we have been in all the other PSVR move games?
As for the ability to use a Sharpshooter or Move controllers, it has been confirmed that you cannot. There are additional sensors and accelerometers in the Aim controller based off previews I've watched that give a (close to) 1:1 movement experience (the previews tout "true" 1:1 movement but I'll believe it when I play it). It also features a second analog which I think the Sharpshooter didn't have, as well as a touchpad button, although no actual touchpad.

Previews from gaming and non gaming press seem to be really impressed with the tracking and experience of it all so I'll give it a go for $61, fully assuming the Aim controller never gets used again for any other game.

From what I understand it only works with the VR Aim Gun or a Dual Shock 4. You can't use move controllers at all with this game from my understanding.
Well that's unfortunate. Doesn't sound very smart from a business perspective. It's an unknown property, so people aren't going to be rushing out to buy it and it certainly won't be a system seller. It requires a peripheral which increases the price of the game, on top of the $400 PSVR peripheral itself that is required to even play it. And it's a PSVR game, which, as great as VR is, hasn't been adopted by the majority of PS4 gamers yet. As much as I love my PSVR and am waiting for the next best thing, all this is telling me is that it'll be heavily discounted by the time Black Friday come around.

As for the ability to use a Sharpshooter or Move controllers, it has been confirmed that you cannot. There are additional sensors and accelerometers in the Aim controller based off previews I've watched that give a (close to) 1:1 movement experience (the previews tout "true" 1:1 movement but I'll believe it when I play it). It also features a second analog which I think the Sharpshooter didn't have, as well as a touchpad button, although no actual touchpad.
Well, the sharpshooter allowed you to attach the Move Nav controller for analog abilities, but yeah, no touchpad, obviously.

Heads up for anyone interested in Starblood Arena. I bought it and while the game in theory is pretty great I was only able to find one match quickly and then waited for another 5-10 minutes with no results. Don't know if it's the netcode, lower player population, or both but as an MP game with no cross-play (Sony IP) I'd look for evidence of a decent population over the next week or so.

Heads up for anyone interested in Starblood Arena. I bought it and while the game in theory is pretty great I was only able to find one match quickly and then waited for another 5-10 minutes with no results. Don't know if it's the netcode, lower player population, or both but as an MP game with no cross-play (Sony IP) I'd look for evidence of a decent population over the next week or so.
How is the single player element? Is there any kind of campaign or story or is it just matches with bots?

How is the single player element? Is there any kind of campaign or story or is it just matches with bots?
No campaign, just bots. Only saving grace is there are a couple of wave based challenges and everything you do earns money for gear and customization items. The game has more polish and a great sense of depth but it needs an audience. Reddit is giving mixed signals in player pop so i'm going to try again tonight. Put into perspective, the first match I played took only 20 seconds to find and 1 minute prep in the lobby. After that I couldn't a match in any version and with a headset on I have little patience for waiting. I'm more impressed with Headmaster as a game but Starblood will be huge if people buy it.

Thanks. It's hard for me to get into any game that relies so much on an online community, so I'll probably pass on buying it. I'm a very casual player, I usually play alone but I'll occasionally buy a couple months of PS Plus and go a few rounds of Street Fighter 5 online or jump into a co-op game of some kind. But it's never a constant. I agree that with the high cost of VR, developers need to be really focusing on install base and active PS Plus subscriptions and things of that nature before they decide to dedicate such time and attention to online only games. Maybe it would help if the online PSVR games were given a free month of Plus when you buy them or something, to help facilitate the growth of the community. 

Thanks. It's hard for me to get into any game that relies so much on an online community, so I'll probably pass on buying it. I'm a very casual player, I usually play alone but I'll occasionally buy a couple months of PS Plus and go a few rounds of Street Fighter 5 online or jump into a co-op game of some kind. But it's never a constant. I agree that with the high cost of VR, developers need to be really focusing on install base and active PS Plus subscriptions and things of that nature before they decide to dedicate such time and attention to online only games. Maybe it would help if the online PSVR games were given a free month of Plus when you buy them or something, to help facilitate the growth of the community.
Frankly as much as I typically despise the F2P model I think that should have been the model for Starblood. There's tons of character and ship skins and color palletes plus tons of mods that could have sold as microtransactions. They should have launched the game that way. There's multiple reviews calling it the Overwatch of VR (hypoerbole much?) but while I'm inclined to agree that it's fun and has great personality and production I don't think Overwatch would be Overwatch if I couldn't hop into a fully populated game within 1 minute of booting the game.

do you guys think the eve digital code for $29.99 is just a temp price? i will be mad if it goes back up and i didnt buy it. i dont have the psvr yet, but i plan on getting it soon.

There's a new PSVR game on sale today:

Leave the Nest - $10.39 - 20% Off - Ends 4/25

The currently active sales if you missed them before:

Eve: Valkyrie Incl. Founder's Pack - $29.99 - 50% Off - Ends 4/26

Gunjack - $3.99 - 60% Off - Ends 4/26

Tethered - $14.99 - 40% Off - Ends 4/25

Tethered Divine Edition - $20.09 - 33% Off - Ends 4/25

VR Ping Pong - $10.49 - 30% Off - Ends 4/26

Two new releases:

HeroCade - $14.99

VR Invaders Complete Edition - $17.99

HeroCade is a collection of smaller games with one notable inclusion being Dreadhalls, which is a well-known early Rift game that is a horror dungeon survival game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFXZVTRBbws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SieSri8RClo

Some VR games are on clearance at Target if you can find them-

Loading Human 11.98

Until dawn rush of blood 5.98

Werewolves 8.98

Is Loading Human any good?

I ended up picking up Loading Human at Target earlier as I already had the other two games.  For that price, I'm willing to take a chance, but reviews haven't been kind.  Extremely slow walking, horrible controls, obtuse puzzles, abysmal voice acting, unfunny dialog, etc.  But supposedly an ending that's "worth it" if you're playing it.

Loading Human is a decent adventure game with a good bit of physics fun thrown in, though the movement controls weren't very good as the main negative thing I didn't like. I did a video a while back around its launch if you want to see it in action. There was a little bit of VR sickness to it with the way the movement works, though it wasn't bad enough that I had to stop the video.

Loading Human is a decent adventure game with a good bit of physics fun thrown in, though the movement controls weren't very good as the main negative thing I didn't like. I did a video a while back around its launch if you want to see it in action. There was a little bit of VR sickness to it with the way the movement works, though it wasn't bad enough that I had to stop the video.
Ha, looks pretty clunky but maybe interesting enough to try out anyway!

Hey, if anyone happens to have a spare download code for Quiz Night Tonight and they're willing to give it away, I'd be much obliged to take it off your hands.

bread's done
Back