Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Just played chapter 2 of Farpoint. They really kicked up the difficulty in this one compared to the first chapter, and I guess this level technically didn't even have a boss. I can't even imagine how tough the bosses will be.

I thought that Farpoint would recognize when you would or would not grip the front of the gun : /
I had the same thought as I was playing tonight, but I guess that would require some sort of sensor on the aim controller itself. It is certainly weird when I'm holding the controller with one hand and both arms show up in the game.

I'm really wanting to invest in a VR headset, but I'm pretty conflicted. Would anyone recommend the PSVR over the Oculus? The price point is nice, but I really want to play Rick and Morty, Superhot, and Rock Band VR. Does the PSVR have any exclusives that make up for missing those games?

I'm really wanting to invest in a VR headset, but I'm pretty conflicted. Would anyone recommend the PSVR over the Oculus? The price point is nice, but I really want to play Rick and Morty, Superhot, and Rock Band VR. Does the PSVR have any exclusives that make up for missing those games?
Go Oculus all the way, if the extra cost isn't an issue for you. It's a better headset and controller that's connected to a larger ecosystem.

Personally, I do wish I could play Rez and Superhypercube on PSVR. However, the PSVR launch titles have been cropping up on PC, so the exclusivity agreements are probably 6 months, which isn't that bad.

Go Oculus all the way, if the extra cost isn't an issue for you. It's a better headset and controller that's connected to a larger ecosystem.

Personally, I do wish I could play Rez and Superhypercube on PSVR. However, the PSVR launch titles have been cropping up on PC, so the exclusivity agreements are probably 6 months, which isn't that bad.
True that. Console exclusives are the worst. I hate that RE7 is PSVR exclusive and held back by the PS4 hardware.

Does the occulus dk2 still work in vr land?

It's hard to think those won't get ported but re7 is by far the most complete VR game on the market and farpoint is by far the closest thing to a working VR FPS. Frankly you are in the best position because I bet Sony announces a couple of huge VR games at e3 and you start seeing 50 dollar sales for all headset combinations. Finally, while it's harder to develop and release for PS4 than PC, most indies will be highly motivated after seeing that Sony is the only VR platform you can turn a profit on.

Star Trek Bridge commander releases this week. Anyone planning on getting it? Seems like it'll be way better with coop partners

I'd be surprised if at least Superhot VR doesn't come to PSVR, if not Rick and Morty along with it.

Star Trek Bridge commander releases this week. Anyone planning on getting it? Seems like it'll be way better with coop partners
vr Bridge crew looks good

Bridge commander was a Pc similar to bridge vr.

It had a cameo of Picard and was a decent take on star trek. I loaded it up in windows 10 a month ago and it still worked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXoMRjPcR0

Me personally I went psvr. Yes the price point is very compared to oculus but i didn't want to invest too much till I see how vr goes in the next few years and see if the momentum keeps up, didn't want to spend a lot in something that slowly fizzles out or never grows beyond what it is now. I figured if it keeps going I'll invest in a better and more expensive setup next time around which by then will be vastly improved over first gen stuff.

Plus I liked starting out with the simplicity of psvr since playing games on it requires no effort and it's all in one neat spot. I know every psvr game will work fine without having to worry about hardware, drivers and so on.

Sure there are some games on oculus I want to play.but I have a backlog on every system so missing a few games is fine. Besides I had a lot of fun with resident evil 7.

So for me it's get psvr now and next time vr gets an update go with oculus.

My first VR experience was with the HTC Vive and I was sold on VR tech in general almost immediately. I'm definitely going with PSVR first though, no way in hell i'll be able to afford the vive and a PC to run it for a while

Well I'm hanging up my PSVR.  After realizing I was getting queasy from more games than not I decided it just isn't worth keeping.  I enjoyed the Farpoint experience but my stomach just couldn't handle it.  Tried Farpoint again today and can barely make it more than 30 minutes. Kept thinking I could condition my body to accept it but it's just not happening.  It's a shame because the experience really is the next evolution of gaming, sadly just not for me.  So if anyone is in the market for a system, some games and the Aim Controller please CML.  In the meantime, best wishes to everyone that is getting enjoyment out of their PSVR.

Signed jealous in PA.

Well I'm hanging up my PSVR. After realizing I was getting queasy from more games than not I decided it just isn't worth keeping. I enjoyed the Farpoint experience but my stomach just couldn't handle it. Tried Farpoint again today and can barely make it more than 30 minutes. Kept thinking I could condition my body to accept it but it's just not happening. It's a shame because the experience really is the next evolution of gaming, sadly just not for me. So if anyone is in the market for a system, some games and the Aim Controller please CML. In the meantime, best wishes to everyone that is getting enjoyment out of their PSVR.

Signed jealous in PA.
Leave and never come back. You are banned from the future!

You took the risk of trying a new platform and its a shame your body couldn't adapt to it. Hopefully you got some joy out of it. Thanks for being a pioneer with us. Not everyone survives the digital frontier.

I dwaddled too long on that newegg deal and now it's back to 400. Was hoping for an eBay coupon to stack with it. Oh well, just means I'll keep to my old plan of waiting till after e3. Unless I crack and buy a used bundle on Craigslist, but I'm hesitant to buy that much in electronics used

Well I'm hanging up my PSVR. After realizing I was getting queasy from more games than not I decided it just isn't worth keeping. I enjoyed the Farpoint experience but my stomach just couldn't handle it. Tried Farpoint again today and can barely make it more than 30 minutes. Kept thinking I could condition my body to accept it but it's just not happening. It's a shame because the experience really is the next evolution of gaming, sadly just not for me. So if anyone is in the market for a system, some games and the Aim Controller please CML. In the meantime, best wishes to everyone that is getting enjoyment out of their PSVR.

Signed jealous in PA.
PSVR for sale. Gently used. Smells like vomit.

So I completed the story for Farpoint and thought I'd give the Challenge Mode a try in order to complete the trophies and get the platinum.

Yeah.....Shaq-Fu to that...

The trophies involve getting 3 medals (Score, Accuracy, Speed, presumably) for each of the game's missions. One thing I respected about the main game is that you did need to seek cover and you would frequently die, setting you back to a checkpoint. It offered just a bit of challenge to the game with some consequences too.

However in Challenge Mode you die once and you have to start over, no checkpoints. I think a time penalty would have been more appropriate for this mode to make it more palatable. As it stands it seems to require an extreme amount of patience and skill that I don't think many people will tolerate. PSNprofiles says that no one -members or otherwise- have the Platinum trophy two weeks in and it's mostly the Challenge Mode levels that are holding people back (edit: looks like two people have now completed it. My point still stands). Challenge Mode by itself (outside of worrying about trophies that is), doesn't seem like that much fun either because of the aforementioned lack of checkpoints.

Trophies can't make or break a game, but I do believe they can help/hurt a title overall. I liked the creativity of some of them but all the ones tied to the challenge mode makes it a wash for me trophy-wise.

I stick with my assessment of 6/10 for this game. I'll still place my recommendation of this game for VR enthusiasts who are OK with the game and tech's limitations and know what  they are getting into OR for casual gaming fans who will just be blown away by the VR experience regardless. Not recommended for the core gamer who isn't completely sold on VR.

Just got into PSVR. Is the Deluxe Edition version of Resident Evil 7 worth purchasing over the standard edition? Is it worth purchasing now at the sale price?

Anybody try Star Trek yet? Is it cross play with the Rift and VIVE? Not even sure they made those versions, but it'd seem necessary to get a bigger audience

And what did you think????? I shoulda specified more lol
lol, no problem. Honestly, I haven't started yet. Based on my research here's what I've seen.

1. It's cross play but be ready to create a Uplay account to use it.

2. Cross play looks like it's going to actually work since the overlap of Trek nerds and VR owners is high (Werewolves Within is also cross play but still has a tiny audience).

3. People who like the single player campaign is 50/50. Basically 7s are saying only get it if you love Trek or want the best multiplayer VR game that requires lots of social interaction. 8s are saying buy it anyway because they thought the 5-8 hour campaign and AI teammates are cool and the overall experience is just too immersive to pass up if you are into VR.

I'm trying to complete Farpoint today to start playing Star Trek and should have my own thought in a day or two.

Thanks for the input! I don't think I'd want to play with AI teammates so I'd be relying on my ability to make friends or matchmaking. I do plan on buying both it and Farpoint in the near future.

I also created a VR coop thread in the PS4 section which hopefully might make it easier to find coop partners

Good Lord!

Farpoint + aim controller = AMAZING!

That's all I have to say on the subject
I'm embarrassed to say that I've now had my PSVR for two weeks and it's still in the box! I also pre-ordered the Farpoint bundle and got it day one. I was just balls deep in Prey and after seeing the Dead Space games on XB1 BC the wife wanted me to play those next. Too many games and not enough time!

Found a copy of Bridge Crew on my way home from work. Let me know if anyone wants to coop

PSN ID is StudentofTruth

Edit. Just played like and hour and a half and the game is really really cool. Definitely need good communication and teamwork, but it was really fun when everyone was on the same page. Played with the move controllers which seems like they add a lot, can't really imagine playing with a controller

I'm embarrassed to say that I've now had my PSVR for two weeks and it's still in the box!
Oh that's nothing. Buddy of mine has had the PSVR Launch bundle since Day One and hasn't opened the box yet. But that's who he is, buys the cool stuff and lets it sit in his room collecting dust while he plays indie PSN games because he thinks they'll give him easy platinums. Either that or "Giving up gaming" and watching Netflix because "nobody will help [him] get his trophies."

https://www.amazon.com/Psychonauts-Rhombus-Ruin-PlayStation-4/dp/B0728JQ1T9/

Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin is getting a physical release on June 13th, up now on Amazon. $29.99 and comes with a code for the original Psychonauts.

Fun little point and click game that captures the Psychonauts feel perfectly. NOT worth $30 though. I'm pretty bonkers about the original but felt $20 for the digital VR game was a bit pricey. If you can get this disc via Gamefly or share the disc with a friend or resell it at a decent price then it's worth it.

Funny that Farpoint bundle is going for more than retail on eBay. I guess it may be scarce in some places, but I've seen it in-stock in several stores around the Twin Cities since release date. I think a Wal-mart I went to had 8 copies.

I'm kicking myself now for not grabbing that headset for 340. Tempted to just grab one from target for 380 but the CAG in me is resisting.

Ok went ahead and got one from Costco! Should be here in a few days. I only have 1 move controller so that's on my radar, and sounds like first games should be re7 and farpoint? I saw re7 was on sale this week so might jump on that.

After playing like 4 hours of Star Trek today I'm totally hooked. Each role plays very differently and all of them seem difficult to master. I've heard the campaign can be finished in like 5 hours or so but the random generated missions seem like they will be where I spend most of the time. We even tried to use to old Enterprise and it really didn't go well, it looks, feels and controls completely different than the other ship

I stick with my assessment of 6/10 for this game. I'll still place my recommendation of this game for VR enthusiasts who are OK with the game and tech's limitations and know what they are getting into OR for casual gaming fans who will just be blown away by the VR experience regardless. Not recommended for the core gamer who isn't completely sold on VR.
Really good thoughts. I finally powered through the final quarter of the game to give my opinion as well.

• The gun is pretty amazing but tracking issues that were frequent enough and a ramp up in difficulty really changed the dynamic of the game making it frustrating in parts due to hardware issues.
  • I probably played the longest session ever for me (around 2 hours) because the last quarter has much better pacing but still suffers from repetitive shooting galleries. Same problem most shooters face but it's more physically straining in VR which continues to make PSVR something I only want to do in shorter stints.
  • I haven't tried co-op or challenges but I'm not too interested in score challenges based on tracking, drifting, and possibly my own poor marksmanship.
  • Many times I was double checking the tracking and while it looked fine but it didn't feel right. Frankly I think it was user error on my part but it speaks to the irony that by having a much more accurate shooting model that people like myself might suck that much more at it.
  • The scenery changes some but the final enemy type as well as numerous locations and objects were blurry messes.
As good as it is I think Farpoint was the bare minimum to prove the Aim controller was legit. I think it's worth 60 bucks for the Aim/Game combo assuming you're ready fight the system a bit and also are ready for some of the first real challenge VR offers. I'd definitely not pay any silly ebay markups as it won't possibly be out of stock long. I'd wager the controller is going to get quite a bit of support considering it's quality.

I just read a couple of reviews on the Tekken 7 VR features included in the game. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but as it turns out, it's even crummier than I thought. You can only use VR in two modes - a gallery mode where you just look at character models and can zoom in or around the characters to observe the outfits and items you earn and put on them, and a "practice" type mode where you fight AI opponents but there's no lifebars or progression or anything like that. Basically a training mode with a dummy that you can program to either just stand there or fight back. The game remains in third person and you control the camera angle of the arena with your head as you look around. That's basically it.

I don't know if VR would ever really work for a fighting game anyway, and as a lifelong Tekken fan, these added modes were never going to make or break my decision to purchase the game anyway, but this is one of those things where I'm just kind of thinking they shouldn't have bothered. I understand the concept of jumping on a fad to get some extra sales, but it sounds so lackluster and tacked on that it probably does more of a disservice to the VR community than anything. 

I just read a couple of reviews on the Tekken 7 VR features included in the game. I wasn't expecting much to be honest, but as it turns out, it's even crummier than I thought. You can only use VR in two modes - a gallery mode where you just look at character models and can zoom in or around the characters to observe the outfits and items you earn and put on them, and a "practice" type mode where you fight AI opponents but there's no lifebars or progression or anything like that. Basically a training mode with a dummy that you can program to either just stand there or fight back. The game remains in third person and you control the camera angle of the arena with your head as you look around. That's basically it.

I don't know if VR would ever really work for a fighting game anyway, and as a lifelong Tekken fan, these added modes were never going to make or break my decision to purchase the game anyway, but this is one of those things where I'm just kind of thinking they shouldn't have bothered. I understand the concept of jumping on a fad to get some extra sales, but it sounds so lackluster and tacked on that it probably does more of a disservice to the VR community than anything.
I want to say I've read that Namco's open to adding some new VR content to the game if there's demand for it.

In short, what we have here is an interesting bonus extra, but assuming this is the entirety of the VR experience we'll get when the game launches in June, it lines up squarely with a range of the kind of 'bolt-on' PSVR modes we've seen attached to a range of top-tier triple-A titles. Namco did tell us that if there is sufficient take-up for the VR mode, more content could follow via DLC updates, but it's safe to say that content is somewhat slim in the version we played. Regardless, the good news is that outside of the VR mode, Tekken 7 certainly looks like the full-blooded current-gen sequel we've been waiting so many years for.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-hands-on-with-tekken-7

Some new deals on PSVR games:

Headmaster - $12.99 - 35% Off - Ends 6/12

VR Invaders/Skyforge Loremaster Bundle - $17.99 - 40% Off - Ends 12/31/20

VR Invaders/Skyforge 6000 Argents Bundle - $14.99 - 40% Off - Ends 12/31/20

VR Invaders is $17.99 by itself, so those bundles are probably only worth it if you're into the free-to-play MMO Skyforge that much to want that part of the bundle.

Headmaster is highly recommended.

The other deals that are still active:

Oasis Games Horror VR Bundle - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 6/6

Oasis Games Shooter VR Bundle - $7.49 - 70% Off - Ends 6/6

Resident Evil 7 biohazard - $38.99 - 35% Off - Ends 6/6

Resident Evil 7 biohazard Deluxe Edition - $67.49 - 25% Off - Ends 6/6

Thanks for the input! I don't think I'd want to play with AI teammates so I'd be relying on my ability to make friends or matchmaking. I do plan on buying both it and Farpoint in the near future.

I also created a VR coop thread in the PS4 section which hopefully might make it easier to find coop partners
I added you.

Also, here's the other thread in case anyone else is too lazy to find it: https://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/363039-psvr-coop-thread/

Theseus is a PSVR game coming this summer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNaSNPXyoU

In Theseus, our protagonist awakens alone, stranded in a hostile and mysterious place. With Ariadne’s voice as his only guide, players will explore alleys and chambers, venturing deep into the heart of the Labyrinth to unveil the truth behind it. But as one will discover, our protagonist is not alone. The mighty Minotaur is the ruler of this world, and you are not a welcomed visitor.

Theseus is a PSVR game coming this summer:
While I'm still looking for some big announcements as E3, assuming Sony is holding back for the show I'm quite impressed at how consistently thy are filling out the VR ecosystem. We're getting a new VR announcement every other day right now and it looks like late summer will have multiple releases every week. That's pretty good considering it's been less than a year.

bread's done
Back