Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I was at PAX over the weekend, and they had copies of Rez Infinite at the Iam8bit booth. Went ahead and picked up a copy. (no shipping)

I finally picked up a PSVR this weekend and I'm having a lot of fun with it :) I definitely need to earn my "legs" though - I can usually last for 45mins or so before I need to take a break. I haven't tried EVE Valkyrie yet, but Scavenger’s Odyssey on VR Worlds makes me queasy with all the movement after a bit, so I'm giving myself time lol

I wear glasses and I've noticed that I have to be really careful how I adjust the headset or my glasses can touch the lenses. I'm thinking about getting some kind of lens film protector or bumpers to keep my glasses from getting too close.

Overall, really enjoyable even though I haven't played more than 2-3 games yet :D
yeah havent touched it in awhile since vr games have been sparse, my issue was adjusting after wearing the glasses and then finding that zone of close but not close enough to fog up the glasses

My PSVR gets most use with 3d blu rays which is surprisingly not bad. Are there any musts have games for it yet?
Wait....you can use the PSVR to watch 3D movies?

What else do I need? I have a regular (non 3D 1080p) TV and regular (non-Pro) PS4.

Do I just start playing the movie while I have the PSVR on my head?

I also need a 3D movie, I guess. I might somehow have the Smurfs with Neil Patrick Harris in 3D. That would test it out.

What else do I need? I have a regular (non 3D 1080p) TV and regular (non-Pro) PS4.

I also need a 3D movie, I guess. I might somehow have the Smurfs with Neil Patrick Harris in 3D. That would test it out.
There was a firmware update that added 3D Blu-Ray support. You don't need a Pro or a 3D TV.

If you read my post a page or so back, I'm not a big fan of watching movies with the PSVR but if this is your only option for experiencing 3D, it's worth a shot.

3D movies can be either really expensive or fairly cheap, depending on the studio. Most of the Disney ones go out of print and get really expensive.

For a good movie in 3D on the cheap, I recommend Dredd:

https://www.amazon.com/Dredd-Blu-ray-Digital-Copy-UltraViolet/dp/B005LAII80/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504615452&sr=8-2&keywords=dredd

Finally got a vr hopefully it comes all great as it's used off eBay but I put a bid in thinking I wouldn't win but I did.
Also I've heard good things about rigs but was unsure on buying it but it's free with plus this month so good timing.

I have a pretty extensive 3D BD library and was excited to try it out when it was added in the update. I'd say it's a mixed bag. There's two kinds of 3D: passive and active.

Passive: the screen shows half of the full image by taking ever other line on the screen and your glasses have extremely small horizontal lines that reconcile each image into a 3D one. The good is that it's a pretty natural process and works with little defect, the bad is that it cuts the resolution of the source image in half to support it.

Active: every other frame of the image is synced to one eye. The glasses have to have a battery and active lenses the switch back and forth shuttering the lens to create the effect. The upside is a full resolution image but the down is a flicker that can happen due to the eyes constantly trying to capture the full image with both eyes.

PSVR is passive plus it's basically calibrated in the best way possible. The downside is that aside from wearing a headset it puts a subpar video resolution an inch from your face so you can help but notice pixelation from a downsampled bluray source. It's great as a fun aside since 3D tvs are now going extinct and you want to try it out but frankly I don't see it useful other than a proof of concept that 3D streaming video is crap and should not be used to judge the quality of the format.

yeah havent touched it in awhile since vr games have been sparse, my issue was adjusting after wearing the glasses and then finding that zone of close but not close enough to fog up the glasses
Yep! Thankfully I've had zero issues with fog. I let the headset warm up for a few minutes before putting it on. I've yet to use it for over an hour at once. That being said, I tend to be cold-blooded, so I haven't been sweating in the headset which helps I'm sure.

I ordered a set of lens protectors just to be on the safe side. Did the Star Wars VR mission last night a couple of times and was really fun!

The PSVR is neither passive or active. Those techologies refer to the television display and how they interact with the glasses. An active display will flash between left and right while the shutters on the glasses open and close to direct each frame to the correct eye, while passive simply interlaces the image.

With the PSVR, however, it's not a case of trying to alternate both eyes on the same screen, it simply sends the left image directly to the left eye and the right image directly to the right eye. 

The PSVR is neither passive or active. Those techologies refer to the television display and how they interact with the glasses. An active display will flash between left and right while the shutters on the glasses open and close to direct each frame to the correct eye, while passive simply interlaces the image.

With the PSVR, however, it's not a case of trying to alternate both eyes on the same screen, it simply sends the left image directly to the left eye and the right image directly to the right eye.
Good point, I always associate it with passive since there's no shutter involved but part of VR being more effective is total separation for each eye which is totally different. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm looking forward to trying out that 3D movie support on the PSVR. I'll give impressions. I have always had an astigmatism. One of my eyes focuses better than the other. This difference makes watching 3D movies very tiring for me. While some people are able to relax both their eyes and drink a movie in, my eyes struggle constantly to focus while watching 3D films. This leads to headaches with most 3D technologies if I use them to long. A 3D tech that sends a different image to each eye will most likely be a little easier on my vision. (hopefully)

While attending PAX over the weekend, I stopped by the Sony Playstation booth. The PSVR had a significant presence at their booth, with several new titles on display. (as well as a few existing and known upcoming titles) Kind of got me stoked for trying out my own headset.

I tried The Avengers for about 15 minutes. I actually found it to be more immersive than watching it on my 3D projector (120" screen). That said, it is such a production to take the headset/earbuds off that I decided it was more trouble than it's worth.

I'm looking forward to trying out that 3D movie support on the PSVR. I'll give impressions. I have always had an astigmatism. One of my eyes focuses better than the other. This difference makes watching 3D movies very tiring for me. While some people are able to relax both their eyes and drink a movie in, my eyes struggle constantly to focus while watching 3D films. This leads to headaches with most 3D technologies if I use them to long. A 3D tech that sends a different image to each eye will most likely be a little easier on my vision. (hopefully)

While attending PAX over the weekend, I stopped by the Sony Playstation booth. The PSVR had a significant presence at their booth, with several new titles on display. (as well as a few existing and known upcoming titles) Kind of got me stoked for trying out my own headset.
I'd appreciate reading those impressions, I have advanced glaucoma in one eye and when I've done the demos at Best Buy the PSVR was the first time I've ever really had 3d work for me.

Why do they even sale just the core vr? Don’t you pretty much have to have the camera and move controllers for the most part ?
Because some people bought a camera years ago and still owned Move controllers from the PS3 days. It would've been a bad business decision to force your most loyal customers to buy something twice.

I finally took the plunge and invested in a PS4 Pro last night. I had been waiting for a special edition version and the Destiny 2 Glacier White unit was too cool to pass up. I'm not getting a 4K TV until Christmas time, but in the meantime I'm interested in seeing how things work with the PSVR. 

Does anyone know of a list kept on the internet anywhere that shows which games are "optimized" for the Pro or which PSVR games received patches or whatever that make them run more optimally? I want to say I remember Battlezone getting a PS4 Pro patch but I can't remember any others. 

Does anyone know of a list kept on the internet anywhere that shows which games are "optimized" for the Pro or which PSVR games received patches or whatever that make them run more optimally? I want to say I remember Battlezone getting a PS4 Pro patch but I can't remember any others.
I typically use this Neogaf post which is consistently updated to list new games and what exactly the Pro modes offer. The first few posts have most of the information broken down by each game.

The downside is they don't list 100% of PSVR games yet. There are some on the list, though.

And now for some of those impressions I promised.

I set up and tested my PSVR rig tonight. The general set up process was a few more cables than I would have liked, but was otherwise fine, and reasonably straight forward. Activating and operating the PSVR was rather simple, no real issues or complaints there.

On the game front, I've only yet tried the copy of Drive Club VR that I got last week. It worked fairly well. I did notice that the graphics were a bit grainier than I would have preferred, but that is likely due to the display resolution of the headset. I had heard that would likely be a noticeable issue before I acquired it, so it didn't come as a surprise. The motion tracking was solid and smooth. Turning my head to look at the world around me gave me a nice view, with no real lag to speak of. Overall, a pretty good driving simulator experience, and quite a bit more engaging than that kind of game usually is for me. I'm hoping they have a VR mode for the next Gran Turismo title.

I did a bit more practice with the 3D Blu-Ray film experience. Once again, the lower resolution was a noticeable issue. You won't be getting the same crisp visuals for the screen that you would from a static full-1080p display. But that was where the drawbacks ended. The 3D effect was pronounced, and rock-solid. While my eyes constantly struggle to focus with conventional 3D glasses, they had no problems at all with the PSVR display. The 3D was never out of sync or unsteady, most likely due to the different images being displayed separately to each eye. The virtual "movie-screen" is also large enough to take up the majority of your vision, giving you ample space to appreciate the visuals of the film. It's like being in a large theatre in the seventh row from the front, right in the middle.

Another pleasant bonus was the brightness of the visuals. With conventional 3D display tech, the glasses you have to wear frequently dull the image, often darkening it. This can make things difficult to see, especially in night scenes, or scenes with a lot of darkness. The PSVR did not suffer from this in the slightest. I used Pacific Rim as my primary source material, as it was shot from the beginning in 3D. Several scenes that take place predominantly in darkness were very clear and bright. You could make out all of the 3D effects and tell what was going on just fine, despite the numerous shadows on screen.

For anyone comfortable with more standardized 3D display technology, the drop in resolution for the PSVR might make it a lesser experience. For me, I am seriously considering watching all my 3D films going forward with the headset. While the slightly lower resolution display is unfortunate, the numerous benefits make it well worth it. The greatly enhanced 3D stability, reduction to eye-strain, and brighter image outweigh almost any other disadvantage. If Sony ever releases an upgraded PSVR with higher resolution displays, I would be willing to consider picking one up expressly for viewing 3D movies.

And now for some of those impressions I promised.

I set up and tested my PSVR rig tonight. The general set up process was a few more cables than I would have liked, but was otherwise fine, and reasonably straight forward. Activating and operating the PSVR was rather simple, no real issues or complaints there.

On the game front, I've only yet tried the copy of Drive Club VR that I got last week. It worked fairly well. I did notice that the graphics were a bit grainier than I would have preferred, but that is likely due to the display resolution of the headset. I had heard that would likely be a noticeable issue before I acquired it, so it didn't come as a surprise. The motion tracking was solid and smooth. Turning my head to look at the world around me gave me a nice view, with no real lag to speak of. Overall, a pretty good driving simulator experience, and quite a bit more engaging than that kind of game usually is for me. I'm hoping they have a VR mode for the next Gran Turismo title.

I did a bit more practice with the 3D Blu-Ray film experience. Once again, the lower resolution was a noticeable issue. You won't be getting the same crisp visuals for the screen that you would from a static full-1080p display. But that was where the drawbacks ended. The 3D effect was pronounced, and rock-solid. While my eyes constantly struggle to focus with conventional 3D glasses, they had no problems at all with the PSVR display. The 3D was never out of sync or unsteady, most likely due to the different images being displayed separately to each eye. The virtual "movie-screen" is also large enough to take up the majority of your vision, giving you ample space to appreciate the visuals of the film. It's like being in a large theatre in the seventh row from the front, right in the middle.

Another pleasant bonus was the brightness of the visuals. With conventional 3D display tech, the glasses you have to wear frequently dull the image, often darkening it. This can make things difficult to see, especially in night scenes, or scenes with a lot of darkness. The PSVR did not suffer from this in the slightest. I used Pacific Rim as my primary source material, as it was shot from the beginning in 3D. Several scenes that take place predominantly in darkness were very clear and bright. You could make out all of the 3D effects and tell what was going on just fine, despite the numerous shadows on screen.

For anyone comfortable with more standardized 3D display technology, the drop in resolution for the PSVR might make it a lesser experience. For me, I am seriously considering watching all my 3D films going forward with the headset. While the slightly lower resolution display is unfortunate, the numerous benefits make it well worth it. The greatly enhanced 3D stability, reduction to eye-strain, and brighter image outweigh almost any other disadvantage. If Sony ever releases an upgraded PSVR with higher resolution displays, I would be willing to consider picking one up expressly for viewing 3D movies.
I hate the wires set up for the PS VR. There is way too much going on, in my opinion. I wish it were more wireless. PS VR 2!

I played about an hour of RE7 last night using the PSVR with the Pro for the first time. I didn't re-start the game from the beginning (continued from my save point), and maybe it wasn't the greatest game to try to use to notice differences because its such a dark game, but I did notice some subtle positive changes that enhanced the experience, mostly in the focus and sharpness of the environment.

Where as before it was basically impossible to read the in-game written text on papers and napkins and notes and such, I noticed that I could now do so, maybe not 100% clearly but the lettering was no longer a complete blur as it was before. I still clicked on each note to read them through the hub screen, but it was more immersive to be able to walk towards a piece of paper on a desk and be able to make out what it said before picking it up and putting it directly to my face.

The other thing I noticed right away was the additional sharpness and detail in Ethan's hands. Considering you see alot of your hands in the game as you explore the environment, the change was immediately noticeable. In one scene I was being stung by wasps and I noticed the detail in the individual bumps and lesions that popped up on the character's hands after being stung several times and trying to heal myself. Before the Pro, these just looked like a pixelation defect and I wasn't even sure they were supposed to be there.

I only had time to play for a bit, and I while I knew that using the Pro wasn't going to suddenly give the PSVR better visuals than the Vive, I'm happy with the subtle improvements so far.   

I picked up Ancient Amuletor and am really enjoying it! It's perfect for short (30mins) play sessions and I'm a sucker for tower defense type games.

One question I have, after almost a week now with PSVR, is if it's normal for text to look clear, but still have rough edges? I've played around with the position of the headset and I think i've found my ideal positioning, but most text still has a slight grainy / pixelated look around the edges. Most videos I'm able to find show the social screen, which must display a higher resolution or something as it looks better than what I see in the headset.

I know a lot of the games are lower resolution and suppose to be grainy (Amuletor is definitely a bit grainy but it doesn't bother me), but I just want to make sure my experience with text is normal and expected :) The less strain I can put on my eyes, the better!

I got my $300 headset from Fry's today (I think it's available again for that price with a promo code when you sign up for their emails) and had a blast today messing with it. I've tried Thumper, the Rez Infinite demo and London Heist so far and have had fun with all of them.

Now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for a Pro deal - we should hopefully see something decent around BF.

I picked up Ancient Amuletor and am really enjoying it! It's perfect for short (30mins) play sessions and I'm a sucker for tower defense type games.

One question I have, after almost a week now with PSVR, is if it's normal for text to look clear, but still have rough edges? I've played around with the position of the headset and I think i've found my ideal positioning, but most text still has a slight grainy / pixelated look around the edges. Most videos I'm able to find show the social screen, which must display a higher resolution or something as it looks better than what I see in the headset.

I know a lot of the games are lower resolution and suppose to be grainy (Amuletor is definitely a bit grainy but it doesn't bother me), but I just want to make sure my experience with text is normal and expected :) The less strain I can put on my eyes, the better!
Some pixelation and/or blurriness is normal since you only have half a 1080p display per eye. The amount will vary based on a game's resolution, AA, super sampling, etc... In my experience the image quality in the HMD tends to be brighter and sharper than what's being pumped out to the social screen. But the softness in the latter tends to eliminate some of the pixelation.

Just to be safe you should check the display settings to make sure that the PS4 is outputting at 1080p.

I notice it with text as well, and from what i've seen that seems to be normal

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/08/the-drop-new-playstation-games-for-9122017/

The PSVR releases for this week:

Bloody Zombies
PS4, PS VR — Digital

Fight the undead plague across the ruins of London using refined free-form combat, taking down a variety of mutated zombies.

Manifest 99
PS VR — Digital

Manifest 99 is an ominous and eerie VR story set on a train rumbling through the afterlife. Accompanied by a murder of crows and four mysterious travel companions, you must uncover the reason why they — and you — are on this train traveling into the great beyond.

VR Karts
PS VR — Digital

The checkered flag is about to drop on a new VR racing experience! Get in the driver’s seat of your own customized kart and race against other players.
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/09/11/journey-into-manifest-99s-take-on-vr-travel-mechanics-out-tomorrow/

Some more info on Manifest 99 before its release tomorrow, which is going to be $5.99 when it releases.

I'm kicking myself for not biting on the $300 headset and camera bundle on Amazon last month. My thought was the Overwatch Summer event is going on; I'm not even going to use it.

Fry's has the headset today for $300 with a 1-day promo code. That's not too bad since the camera can be found for $40, but I should probably just wait for the Black Friday sales. And it would be nice to get it from Amazon since I have a lot of credit there. Or Gamestop. I can turn the Amazon credit into Gamestop credit.

I just want to get it in time for the final two Resident Evil 7 DLCs.

Dirt Rally is on sale

Is that the one that's full 360 on the psvr?
The base game is on sale, but it doesn't include the VR add-on (which sells separately for $13). There's a bundle that includes both the base game and VR add-on but it's not on sale.

With the VR add-on you can play the entire game in VR, but the menus and replays are in 2D (cinema mode). It's an awesome VR game.

Did a physical disc version of Dirt Rally ever get released with the VR add-on content included? I know the UK got it with the PSVR branding on the front of the box but I have not seen a Region 1 NTSC re-release anywhere.  

I mustered up the courage to try Rush of Blood for the first time last night, and it was a great experience. I got really scared when one of my dogs pawed my forearm for a belly rub while I was playing though!

If you previously purchased 100ft Robot Golf, they released a "new" version that includes the new Kaiju Driving Range standalone expansion, which is the social MP version of the game where you play as a Kaiju and the other person is one of the robot golfers. It's free to those that already owned the previous version, so all you have to do is purchase and you can download KDR to your PS4.

bread's done
Back