Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried out WipEout in VR last night and enjoyed it. I don't get motion sickness, so I was actually hoping to find a way to cause it. After my initial track test, I put the speed to the fastest class it could go and chose a map with twists and sideways tracks. Immediately after choosing to start it, a warning came on telling me that the track may cause motion sickness, so they automatically turned on pilot assist and made the "vr helmet" big. Once I got into the race, I realized what they meant. They put this black barrier around your head to block out your abilty to look anywhere but straight ahead. I found it quite annoying, as I wanted to look around, so after the race I went back into the options and turned it off (and I played just fine without it) but regardless, It does look like they take precautions to avoid motion sickness.

I tried out WipEout in VR last night and enjoyed it. I don't get motion sickness, so I was actually hoping to find a way to cause it. After my initial track test, I put the speed to the fastest class it could go and chose a map with twists and sideways tracks. Immediately after choosing to start it, a warning came on telling me that the track may cause motion sickness, so they automatically turned on pilot assist and made the "vr helmet" big. Once I got into the race, I realized what they meant. They put this black barrier around your head to block out your abilty to look anywhere but straight ahead. I found it quite annoying, as I wanted to look around, so after the race I went back into the options and turned it off (and I played just fine without it) but regardless, It does look like they take precautions to avoid motion sickness.
There are 2 parts on that level (I'm assuming it is the same level since it was the first one I saw the warning on too, in Wipeout HD) where I definitely feel a little motion sickness stuff come on. It is towards the end of the track where you go up/down like 3 times real quick on a purple track. The next part is right after that where you kind of turn one way and then the track turns the other way real quick, almost like a bow ribbon or something. Those 2 parts kinda make me feel a bit odd every time, even with the partially blocked view.

I’m trying to look through the thread for the answer but I’m not having any luck. I recently bought a 4K television to go with the PlayStation pro I had.

If I’m understanding this right. To get 4K on my playstation games, my HDMI cable that I had go to my PlayStation vr adapter has to go into the back of the television. Do I have to swap the cables every time to play vr? Or is there a different way to set up both 4K and VR at the same time so I don’t have to swap cables all of the time?

I’m trying to look through the thread for the answer but I’m not having any luck. I recently bought a 4K television to go with the PlayStation pro I had.
If I’m understanding this right. To get 4K on my playstation games, my HDMI cable that I had go to my PlayStation vr adapter has to go into the back of the television. Do I have to swap the cables every time to play vr? Or is there a different way to set up both 4K and VR at the same time so I don’t have to swap cables all of the time?
Yes. Unless you have the new version of psvr that comes with the hdr passthrough box. Unless I am wrong.

I think Ready Player One has looked like a terrible movie from the get go. I doubt I'll even watch it when it hits Redbox.
I feel like it's wrong not to want to give it a chance but I feel the same. I think my beef with it is that I'm really just burned out on the whole "nostalgia" element in general, and Ready Player One seems to be pushing it hard, real hard. Considering that people who were born/grew up in the 80's are now at an age to be the people behind alot of these projects, we are getting a constant stream of nostalgia-fueled content that, while charming, often feels rather shallow or like a pet project. Sometimes I feel like the expectation is that those of us who are "video game" fans are supposed to see this kind of stuff and "geek out" because Link or Cloud or Master Chief or someone shows up in a movie. In reality I think most gaming fans are just like any other objective film viewer and would rather see a well-made film with a new character over a really poor fan-service movie that throws a bunch of licensed characters at you to make up for being shitty....like Pixels.

I feel like it's wrong not to want to give it a chance but I feel the same. I think my beef with it is that I'm really just burned out on the whole "nostalgia" element in general, and Ready Player One seems to be pushing it hard, real hard. Considering that people who were born/grew up in the 80's are now at an age to be the people behind alot of these projects, we are getting a constant stream of nostalgia-fueled content that, while charming, often feels rather shallow or like a pet project. Sometimes I feel like the expectation is that those of us who are "video game" fans are supposed to see this kind of stuff and "geek out" because Link or Cloud or Master Chief or someone shows up in a movie. In reality I think most gaming fans are just like any other objective film viewer and would rather see a well-made film with a new character over a really poor fan-service movie that throws a bunch of licensed characters at you to make up for being shitty....like Pixels.
I completely agree with this sentiment. Films should stand on their own merit no matter what the circumstances (even if it's being marketed directly to our fanbase). Based on the general response so far, this seems to be a case closer to Wreck-It Ralph than Pixels, though. And I think virtual reality fans should support it regardless because there's not much like it out there at the moment. Big money pays attention to these numbers and could shift things favorably for the technology.

That being said, you're absolutely right about the nostalgia element (and the inevitable burnout that follows). This is a movie tailor-made for kids of the '80s, which is probably why it appealed to me as both a gamer and a movie fan. Plus, it's always fun when Spielberg lets his imagination loose (I'm still a firm believer in Indy 5).

Ready Player One was fun, but definitely not the juggernaut hit I was expecting it to be. I haven't read the source material, but I wasn't expecting it to feel so...formulaic.
I read the book and enjoyed it a ton. Have not seen the movie yet but if the trailers are anything to go off if they only took some of the very basic story beats and aspects of the world for the movie. Almost to the point where you kind of wonder why they even bothered tying up the book rights for it. World War Z is the worst example of this.

There are definitely some levels later on in Wipeout that started to give me motion sick feelings.  At least on the HD version.  And I'm only on the 3rd circuit thing.  I ended up changing the view to being outside of the car and it helped a lot, although I can still get it minimally at some parts.  I find driving from outside the car easier too (as I do in all racers) but it definitely takes away from the "cool" factor of being in VR and sitting in the cockpit.

The parts that mainly get me is when there is a lot of sudden up and down and left/right pitch changes.  Other than that I am fine.  I feel like if F-Zero on SNES was in VR I would be 100% fine because the game was flat lol.  Gimmie a SNES port of F-Zero in VR!

I really like the music in Wipeout though.

I completely agree with this sentiment. Films should stand on their own merit no matter what the circumstances (even if it's being marketed directly to our fanbase). Based on the general response so far, this seems to be a case closer to Wreck-It Ralph than Pixels, though. And I think virtual reality fans should support it regardless because there's not much like it out there at the moment. Big money pays attention to these numbers and could shift things favorably for the technology.

That being said, you're absolutely right about the nostalgia element (and the inevitable burnout that follows). This is a movie tailor-made for kids of the '80s, which is probably why it appealed to me as both a gamer and a movie fan. Plus, it's always fun when Spielberg lets his imagination loose (I'm still a firm believer in Indy 5).
I just think it looks like a terrible movie with terrible special effects, regardless of the premise behind it. I didn't even realize it was trying to play off nostalgia either.

Saw this in an email from Sony today entitled “your monthly ps vr news”. Looks like they still believe in the platform

[attachment=29924:5FF09795-DB4D-4928-B4AC-935DCDBBD07E.jpeg]

Saw this in an email from Sony today entitled “your monthly ps vr news”. Looks like they still believe in the platform

attachicon.gif
5FF09795-DB4D-4928-B4AC-935DCDBBD07E.jpeg
That's a good sign, especially since they recently lowered the prices. Here's the list:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/03/16/playstation-vr-all-the-games-coming-in-spring-2018/

Anamorphine
Apocalypse Rider
Ark Park
Chromagun VR
CoolpaintrVR
Crisis on the Planet of the Apes
Flatline Experience The Other Side
Floor Plan
Headbutt Factory
Hopalong: The Badlands
Island Time
Just in Time Inc.
Killing Floor: Incursion
MLB Home Run Derby VR
Nothin’ But Net
One Piece Grand Cruise
Pixel Ripped 1989
Prana
Preta: Vendetta Rising
Quar Infernal Machines
RadianVR
Rick & Morty: Virtual Rick-ality
Rooms the Unsolvable Puzzle
Separation
Smash Hit Plunder
Super Amazeballs
Super Kaiju
Syren
The Perfect Sniper
Time Carnage
Torn
VR Apocalypse
War Robots VR: The Skirmish
Xing: The Land Beyond

Exciting times. But it's missing (either still in development or cancelled?) Blood & Truth, Dead Secret, Dragonflight, Dreams, The Exorcist: Legion, Godling, Golem, Hellgate, Mind: Path to Thalamus, Obduction, So Let Us Melt, Star Child, Transference, Unearthed Inc: The Lost Temple, Vacation Simulator, Visage, White Day 2: Swan Song, and my personal favorite (non-U.S., of course): Summer Lesson: Allison Snow and Chisato Shinjo 8-[

---

Edit: Here is also what PSN considers its '10 best' from the same email.

https://store.playstation.com/en-us/grid/STORE-MSF77008-DISCOVERMUSTVRG/1

Superhot VR
Rez Infinite
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
I Expect You to Die
Thumper
Batman: Arkham VR
Dino Frontier (really?)
Star Trek: Bridge Crew
Farpoint
Job Simulator

Exciting times. But it's missing (either still in development or cancelled?) Blood & Truth, Dead Secret, Dragonflight, Dreams, The Exorcist: Legion, Godling, Golem, Hellgate, Mind: Path to Thalamus, Obduction, So Let Us Melt, Star Child, Transference, Unearthed Inc: The Lost Temple, Vacation Simulator, Visage, White Day 2: Swan Song, and my personal favorite (non-U.S., of course): Summer Lesson: Allison Snow and Chisato Shinjo 8-[
Not sure about most of those games, but Dreams VR mode isn't expected to come out for a while (if ever).

My impression of Wipeout VR is that it's busted and doesn't work at all. Couldn't get past the "check your surroundings" step of the startup process and would get the crash screen upon quitting out of the game, so I deleted it and am hoping a fresh download works.

Just bought Wipreout Omega. Always been a fan of F-Zero / Wipeout. I don't have PSVR, but based on the impressions, this could be the game that justifies it for me.

Man, I'm really thinking about trading in my Xbox One S towards a PSVR unit, particularly since I already have a Pro and am a fan of Wipeout.

My question is: is v2 w/ the Move controllers worth $150 more than v1? I already have (the older) PS4 camera and don't care for Skyrim VR (already playing through again on Switch). I'm comparing the v1 standalone versus the Skyrim VR bundle. I know some games like Supershot require Move controllers and could be future proofing by getting them now.

Man, I'm really thinking about trading in my Xbox One S towards a PSVR unit, particularly since I already have a Pro and am a fan of Wipeout.

My question is: is v2 w/ the Move controllers worth $150 more than v1? I already have (the older) PS4 camera and don't care for Skyrim VR (already playing through again on Switch). I'm comparing the v1 standalone versus the Skyrim VR bundle. I know some games like Supershot require Move controllers and could be future proofing by getting them now.
Can you find the v1 for $200 right now? I like the v2 a lot more, base on much better cable arrangement, having the headset plug on head. I really like v2 moves better than v1, and what are they $90 for v2? You cou k d sell skyrim on ebay for $40, so getting 34 or 35 after fees and shipping

If you’re going to become a serious VR gamer, you’ll need to purchase Move controllers at some point in the future. Unfortunately with the bundle, you’ll end up with another camera and a game you don’t want, but I do think the V2 is a marked improvement over the OG. Hopefully at some point they’ll come out with a new Move bundle with a different game (maybe if they release a V3).

Move controllers are a must. Many games require them and even more are enhanced by using them.

I got $25+shipping on eBay for my old model PS4 camera so don’t be afraid of getting a second one. You can always recoup some of the cost of the bundle by selling what you don’t want. You’ll get even more if you sell the new camera, but I wouldn’t do that. The new camera looks nicer and adjusts easier

If you’re going to become a serious VR gamer, you’ll need to purchase Move controllers at some point in the future. Unfortunately with the bundle, you’ll end up with another camera and a game you don’t want, but I do think the V2 is a marked improvement over the OG. Hopefully at some point they’ll come out with a new Move bundle with a different game (maybe if they release a V3).

Move controllers are a must. Many games require them and even more are enhanced by using them.

I got $25+shipping on eBay for my old model PS4 camera so don’t be afraid of getting a second one. You can always recoup some of the cost of the bundle by selling what you don’t want. You’ll get even more if you sell the new camera, but I wouldn’t do that. The new camera looks nicer and adjusts easier

Can you find the v1 for $200 right now? I like the v2 a lot more, base on much better cable arrangement, having the headset plug on head. I really like v2 moves better than v1, and what are they $90 for v2? You cou k d sell skyrim on ebay for $40, so getting 34 or 35 after fees and shipping
Thank you to all three for your thoughts. Didn't realize how essential the Move controllers should be considered. I don't care for eBay, so I'll probably just trade in the old camera and Skyrim VR to GameStop.

Yes, the v1 MSRP is $200 right now, so my comparison was between that and the $350 Skyrim bundle.

If you like Skyrim, you really should try it out in VR since it's a completely different beast than the 2D versions. Being able to dual wield weapons and/or spells to attack enemies with free aim is a big game changer.

Wipeout is $23.97 at gamestop. Might have to check it out.
If you're like me, I couldn't find one in stock near me and getting charged shipping from Gamestop.com, another option is to buy through google express. Shipped free from Frys for $22.72 (after california tax) with 20% off coupon RMNSAVE20. It says it's for first purchase only but worked for me even though I'd purchased before. Debating doing this or buying from Bestbuy after pricematch to Gamestop

Do most of the games that use the move controllers require two? I was able to snag an old Ps3 move wand for ten bucks
I think I've only come across one or two games that use a single Move. Most of the time, the controllers function as each hand.

If you're like me, I couldn't find one in stock near me and getting charged shipping from Gamestop.com, another option is to buy through google express. Shipped free from Frys for $22.72 (after california tax) with 20% off coupon RMNSAVE20. It says it's for first purchase only but worked for me even though I'd purchased before. Debating doing this or buying from Bestbuy after pricematch to Gamestop
Thanks for the tip about the Google Express promo code. I'm not in any rush to play Wipeout, but I might be able to get some use out of it for other things (expires 4/30).

Edit: There's another promo code for first-time orders that expires on 4/3: STOCKUP20

I googled "Best Buy online price match" and it took me to a chat link where I chatted for like 15 minutes and got it taken care of. You basically place an order at full price then they refund you the difference after you give them the order number. So it was like $42 and change and then they credited me back $16 and change. I picked it up this morning and should be able to try it out tonight.
I ended up doing this! I cannot wait to play it!

bread's done
Back