Official Playstation VR Deals and Discussion Thread

billyrox

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
Just starting a thread for deals for the Playstation VR. 

I picked up the Core bundle off Amazon and I'm looking for a cheap camera and move controllers.

I found that best buy has some cheap playstation 4 cameras on sale for 39.99 with free shipping.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-camera-for-playstation-4-black/8245153.p?skuId=8245153

If you all know any good deals for move controllers or launch games, let me know.

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood (PS VR) $15.99 via Amazon (Prime Price). https://www.amazon.c...heapassgam08-20

Last edited by a moderator:
The haunted level in Astro Bot is one of the all time greatest levels IMO in any game.  It's up there with Dire Dire Docks on Mario 64 to me.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/27/playstation-vr-borderlands-2-vr-and-beat-saber-bundle-launches-december-14/

There's going to be a new PSVR bundle with Borderlands 2 and Beat Saber on 12/14 for $349 with the headset, camera, two Move controllers, Demo Disc 2.0, and codes for the two games.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/27/vr-strategy-game-skyworld-hits-ps-vr-early-2019/

Skyworld is coming to PSVR in early 2019. It's a mix of turn-based strategy, deck building, and RTS battles. This is from the team behind Arizona Sunshine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9oBNQtHLqY

I already have all the hardware and accessories for PSVR I need, and I'm not much into turn-based strategy games, but announcements like this always make me happy to see that Sony isn't abandoning PSVR yet!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/11/27/playstation-vr-borderlands-2-vr-and-beat-saber-bundle-launches-december-14/

There's going to be a new PSVR bundle with Borderlands 2 and Beat Saber on 12/14 for $349 with the headset, camera, two Move controllers, Demo Disc 2.0, and codes for the two games.
I wonder if that means there won't be a physical release for Borderlands 2 VR. On that note, just want to say I'm very interested in the port since I haven't played the game before. Hopefully the translation isn't vomit-inducing.

The new deals for today:

In Death - $23.99 - 20% Off - Ends 12/3

Space Pirate Trainer - $11.99 -20 % Off - Ends 1/4/19

The deals that are still active:

Megalith - $26.99 - 10% Off - Ends 1/8/19

Mind Labyrinth VR Dreams - $19.99 - 20% Off - Ends 11/28

Moss - $19.79 - 34% Off - Ends 11/28

Moss + Soundtrack Bundle - $23.09 - 34% Off - Ends 11/28

Thumper - $9.99 - 50% Off - Ends 11/28

Virry VR: Feel the Wild - $5.99 - 40% Off - $1.99 - 80% Off - Ends 11/30

New Releases:

Affected: The Manor - $7.99

Twisty Puzzle Simulator - $9.99

They mention how many views it's gotten on Youtube videos, so I'm guessing there's a complete playthrough on there that could give you an idea of what to expect.
Yup, most of the reaction videos are 10-15 minutes, but it would probably ruin the whole experience to watch. I guess it’s kind of like a horror attraction, like a haunted house or something. 8 bucks isn’t too unreasonable if you compare it to theme park pricing. I’ll throw it on my wishlist for a rainy 20% off day.

I’m just now joining the crowd. My brother demoed PSVR for me, showing me Batman and Astro Bot and I just blown away. Played the first level of Astro Bot and immediately ordered PSVR from GameStop. 😂

Does anyone else think the booming sales this Black Friday is a harbinger of good things to come and we will see more in-depth experiences like Astro Bot as sales pick up?

I’m just now joining the crowd. My brother demoed PSVR for me, showing me Batman and Astro Bot and I just blown away. Played the first level of Astro Bot and immediately ordered PSVR from GameStop.

Does anyone else think the booming sales this Black Friday is a harbinger of good things to come and we will see more in-depth experiences like Astro Bot as sales pick up?
Shu's basically said that they're working on that now that it's more of a mature platform with a growing audience that is used to the tech and what it can do at its core:

https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/09/26/shuhei-yoshida-psvr-comments/

Users will not want a short experience, they will want to have a game to play for a longer time. Based on such expectations, I came up with the strategy of making full-scale games of larger scale in the second and third years

That quote though doesn't actually seem to be true. If one goes to psnprofiles the average completion of Skyrim VR is under 8%, which is shockingly low. People say they want more in depth VR experiences, but the evidence seems pretty clear that people actually don't. I would guess motion sickness is the reason for this.

I started Skyrim VR, and it was really cool, but no way I could play the whole thing in vr
I'm currently at 38% and intend to at least get the plat, though probably not 100%. VR games don't really lend themselves to especially long gaming sessions though. The longest I have played VR at once was Skyrim for about 4 hours, but usually I stop after 1 or 2 hours.

That quote though doesn't actually seem to be true. If one goes to psnprofiles the average completion of Skyrim VR is under 8%, which is shockingly low. People say they want more in depth VR experiences, but the evidence seems pretty clear that people actually don't. I would guess motion sickness is the reason for this.
I think games that do well with shorter playing sessions are ideal. I am a new adopter of PSVR. I jumped on the deals last week. I was a little hesitant to get it at all due to my issues with motion sickness playing Metroid Prime trilogy on the Wii and Mario Odyssey (I tweaked the camera on Odyssey and that helped).

My limited experience with PSVR has been primarily spent on Astobot. I had a grin on my face during my playthrough of the first couple of levels. I had to stop after 30 minutes because I started getting a headache. I have had less issues as I have grown more accustomed to the headset and VR experience but I still don't feel like I can sit and play for hours at a time. Astrobot gives a very immersive VR experience and I can play sitting down for the most part. When I stand up, I sometimes lose my balance. As a platformer, it also is perfectly broken up in stages I can get through in a single play session.

I always find Achievement/Trophy percentages to be shockingly low. Like when I get an unmissable one less than an hour into a single player game and see that only 45% of people got it. :whistle2:k

I always find Achievement/Trophy percentages to be shockingly low. Like when I get an unmissable one less than an hour into a single player game and see that only 45% of people got it. :whistle2:k
The psnprofiles % tend to be higher because they draw the trophy hunters. I'd bet that if one counted everyone the platinum % for Skyrim is less than 1%.

That's not really a great example because people play Skyrim for a variety of reasons and "beating it" isn't exactly something that people have to do to enjoy it in VR with the huge scope of the world and the variety of things you can do in it. It's probably a more casual version of the game in VR because you're probably not spending 12 hours in it at a time like people would with the 2D version. Looking at the official trophy stats, the Dragonslayer trophy (assuming this is what you're looking at for beating the game) is at 2.3% and in the 2D version, it's at 18.1%, which tells me people are buying the 2D version to do all of the things in it while they're not trying to do that in the VR version. The platinum is 0.2% for VR and 2.8% for 2D, which says that the vast majority of the players don't care about doing everything. The main issue with using Skyrim is that it's not the be-all and end-all of big VR games. There's also the nausea issue that can affect how much people play of certain games even if they enjoy it.

Arizona Sunshine - 25.6% for the "Complete the entire campaign" trophy

Astro Bot Rescue Mission - 14.1% for the "Beat the Game" trophy

DoomVFR - 8.5% for the "Complete the single player campaign on any difficulty" trophy

Farpoint - 18.9% for the "Finished all levels of the main game" trophy

Moss - 29.3% for the "Finish the first book of Moss" trophy

Tetris Effect - 41.7% for the "Complete all Areas of Journey" mode trophy

Wipeout Omega Collection - 31.4% for completing 2048 season, 11% for the 2049 season, 4.2% for the 2050 season.

Those are some big percentages for some of its biggest flagship games of the past year or two.

That's not really a great example because people play Skyrim for a variety of reasons and "beating it" isn't exactly something that people have to do to enjoy it in VR with the huge scope of the world and the variety of things you can do in it. It's probably a more casual version of the game in VR because you're probably not spending 12 hours in it at a time like people would with the 2D version. Looking at the official trophy stats, the Dragonslayer trophy (assuming this is what you're looking at for beating the game) is at 2.3% and in the 2D version, it's at 18.1%, which tells me people are buying the 2D version to do all of the things in it while they're not trying to do that in the VR version. The platinum is 0.2% for VR and 2.8% for 2D, which says that the vast majority of the players don't care about doing everything. The main issue with using Skyrim is that it's not the be-all and end-all of big VR games. There's also the nausea issue that can affect how much people play of certain games even if they enjoy it.

DoomVFR - 8.5% for the "Complete the single player campaign on any difficulty" trophy

Wipeout Omega Collection - 31.4% for completing 2048 season, 11% for the 2049 season, 4.2% for the 2050 season.

Those are some big percentages for some of its biggest flagship games of the past year or two.
Frisky, making me look (deservedly) stupid. And honestly I hope you are right. I like the longer VR games and a greater variety of longer games would be helpful. Using the games you listed it would appear having games broken up in to levels seems key to getting more people deeper in to longer VR games, which is kind of too bad. I appreciate the enormity of Skyrim in VR.

Frisky, making me look (deservedly) stupid. And honestly I hope you are right. I like the longer VR games and a greater variety of longer games would be helpful. Using the games you listed it would appear having games broken up in to levels seems key to getting more people deeper in to longer VR games, which is kind of too bad. I appreciate the enormity of Skyrim in VR.
You've got Borderlands 2 VR coming in a few weeks, but those big open worlds aren't going to be the norm because it's mostly smaller teams working on these games on more reasonable budgets. The bigger experiences for PSVR that Shu is talking about are things like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Creed, and Moss with Blood & Truth, Golem, and Star Child next year that are probably beatable in 5-10 hours versus a lot of early games being 1-3 hours long.

My understanding is that virtually every game - whether VR or not - has shockingly low percentages for completion. I can't recall the stats but I remember seeing well below 50% completion rates for single player games or story modes from some of the biggest and well reviewed franchises like Bioshock, Red Dead, GTA, etc. Quite simply, there are just a lot of people who play a few minutes or hours of a game and then fall off, lose interest, get busy, etc.

The psnprofiles % tend to be higher because they draw the trophy hunters. I'd bet that if one counted everyone the platinum % for Skyrim is less than 1%.
I'm pretty sure everyone on PSN has a PSNProfiles page, regardless of if they've even heard of the site. I never signed up for the site, yet I use it to look up my trophy stuff. I also have friends who've never even heard of the site, whose profiles I can view. The only people who don't factor into the percentages are the people who have their trophy lists set to hidden on PSN, since the site can't scrape it.

My understanding is that virtually every game - whether VR or not - has shockingly low percentages for completion. I can't recall the stats but I remember seeing well below 50% completion rates for single player games or story modes from some of the biggest and well reviewed franchises like Bioshock, Red Dead, GTA, etc. Quite simply, there are just a lot of people who play a few minutes or hours of a game and then fall off, lose interest, get busy, etc.
Yeah, that's my favorite part about the public completion percentages on trophies and achievements is seeing where people drop off on games. For comparison's sake, the rarest trophies in The Quiet Man are just above 30%, but the trophy for getting through the game without taking a hit is at 0%. Nobody's done that yet because nobody wants to play that much of the game. The percentage drop from completing Chapter 1 and 2 goes from 93.5% to 61.3%, so it lost one third of its people once they realized how bad it is. 9% played the game after the Answer update revealing the audio dialog to get the one trophy it added.

I'm pretty sure everyone on PSN has a PSNProfiles page, regardless of if they've even heard of the site. I never signed up for the site, yet I use it to look up my trophy stuff. I also have friends who've never even heard of the site, whose profiles I can view. The only people who don't factor into the percentages are the people who have their trophy lists set to hidden on PSN, since the site can't scrape it.
That you viewed your profile is what created it, I believe. But their % are all higher than the PSN ones, because that interest to go there and generate your card means you get farther in games than most.
Edit: For example, using the Skyrim example again 1.97% of psnprofiles users have the platinum, but only 0.2% of everyone has the plat.

You've got Borderlands 2 VR coming in a few weeks, but those big open worlds aren't going to be the norm because it's mostly smaller teams working on these games on more reasonable budgets. The bigger experiences for PSVR that Shu is talking about are things like Astro Bot Rescue Mission, Creed, and Moss with Blood & Truth, Golem, and Star Child next year that are probably beatable in 5-10 hours versus a lot of early games being 1-3 hours long.
I would think 5-10 hours would be a sweet spot for game length compared to 20-25 hours for a nonVR game, given the limitations of how long most people can play in VR.

Cause Skyrim sucks, and it's like a decade old game that was ported to VR. Gimmie new experiences built for VR like Astro Bot. RE7 is a great 'port' to VR though. That's one of my favorite games to date.

That said, I still have Skyrim VR sealed if anyone wants to buy it :D

Also, my anecdotal experience - I only have 2 platinum trophies on my entire PSN profile, PS3 and PS4 combined. Wanna guess what games they are?

Moss and Astro Bot.

Im not on it.
Then again, im also hidden.

I dont trophy hunt on VR either. Maybe someday ill change that though. Ive beat a bunch of VR titles, but miss a lot of the little trophies that are not forced story ones.

I would think 5-10 hours would be a sweet spot for game length compared to 20-25 hours for a nonVR game, given the limitations of how long most people can play in VR.
Yeah, 5-10 hours is what I would define as a "longer" game compared to most of the experiences that range from 30 minutes to 2 hours. In the case of Skyrim (and probably Borderlands 2), it's a bit daunting having a 32+ hour game in front of you, no matter how appealing that world might be. Add to that the scarcity of VR players and the fact that it's a game most people have already played, and that probably accounts for the low stats on PSNprofiles. (I'm sure a lot of the owners got it with the bundle.)

It's half off on steam.
Everything is always half off on Steam. :whistle2:(

Doom VFR is back to/still 14.99 at BB, GCU stacks now.

Played more Astro Bot today, I can't remember ever smiling so much at a game as well as having my jaw drop from what I'm seeing.

I'm still salty as fuck about ID not putting out a left handed patch for Doom.  I don't really want to play it with the DS4.   I paid $20 for it last holiday season too.  I may just trade it in to Amazon because they will give me like $16.50 for it.

I'd be more interested in the number of people like myself that have got 100% on versions of Skyrim and put the VR helmet on did a few minutes of riding in the cart and said "You know what, I think I'm good on ever doing this prologue part again" for the love of god when you release it again Bethesda and I know deep in my heart you will, just make that skippable. 

I finished Unearthing Mars 2. Like the first one, I'd say it's just okay. While the original was kind of a low-budget, unpolished experience with a mishmash of different genres (flight sim, adventure, driving, puzzle, shooter), this one is just all-out alien warfare (but with the same bad voice acting). It's pretty mindless and repetitive, except the boss battles which actually require a fair amount of skill and do-over. In fact, if you're easily susceptible to motion sickness, I'd say to skip this one because there's a lot of jumping around from teleport point to teleport point (the final boss is a doozy). At any rate, it was fun to break out the Aim again after 9 months of non-use. I'd call this game Farpoint Lite.

There are some of the bundles for AIM + Bravo around me but I already got one.  If I didn't I'd get it and then just get rid of Bravo Team without even opening it.  Unfortunately Amazon isn't even taking it in for tradein right now.  That price alone for the Aim is good.  I lucked out and got Aim + Farpoint for $60 from Amazon last year.

Blood Rush doesn't support AIM I think.

Farpoint is by far the best single player game.  The new game that is multiplayer only (I forget the name of it) is supposed to be very good too but it's online only.  That Bravo Team game is apparently really really bad.

I did not like Arizona Sunshine at all but people in here love it.  

I haven't played Doom since there is no left handed patch but I think it can use it too.  I'm not sure how it is with it. 

But IMO, for Farpoint alone it's worth it.

The deals for this week so far:

Arca’s Path VR - $17.99 - 10% Off - Ends 12/11
Kona VR Bundle - $7.99 - 60% Off - Ends 12/11
Moss - $19.79 - 34% Off - Ends 12/11
Moss + Soundtrack Bundle - $23.09 - 34% Off - Ends 12/11
Resident Evil 7 biohazard - $14.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/11
Resident Evil 7 biohazard Gold Edition - $24.99 - 50% Off - Ends 12/11
Rush VR - $19.99 - 10% Off - Ends 12/11
Space Pirate Trainer - $11.99 -20 % Off - Ends 1/4/19
Is the extra content of RE7 worth getting for primarily VR play? Debating getting it to watch my wife get scared.

Is the extra content of RE7 worth getting for primarily VR play? Debating getting it to watch my wife get scared.
If you liked the campaign in VR, definitely go for the Gold. There's lots of varied content in there (Not a Hero, End of Zoe, Bedroom, Daughters), but my favorite was 21, a high-stakes blackjack game that feels ripped right out of Saw.

Also, download Resident Evil 7: Beginning Hour (it's free); a standalone prequel to the game which freaked me out in itself.

Made use of my Elite Pro, 20% off birthday coupon, and B2G1 at GameStop and got Tetris Plus, Deracine, and Robinson the Journey for about $50 total after tax. A bunch of VR games suddenly came in-stock today, I think someone offloaded their VR collection. All games are complete and in like new condition.

bread's done
Back