Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

[quote name='dgwillia006']I remember the guy at the Sear's i was at first yesterday (When i grabbed 7 copies of Imagine doctor @_@), i asked him to scan like 3 games, and he had the nerve to say "I cant do that right now, im on the phone, wait a few minutes", then just walked off. Came back and scanned them with a grumpy look on his face, and acted like i was asking him to jog around the store naked . I really wanted to ask him to scan a Fallout 3 GOTY which was still in the glass case, but i didnt feel like dealing with the grunting and stomping[/QUOTE]

I get the same feeling when i ask the employees to scan items too and its like an inconvenience for them. If that's the case they should have placed a price scanner in the electronics dept. Some even tell me the sticker price is the price of the game and i ask them to double check and surprise surprise its not. Half the things in there have not been updated in price.

[quote name='gxer2002']I get the same feeling when i ask the employees to scan items too and its like an inconvenience for them. If that's the case they should have placed a price scanner in the electronics dept. Some even tell me the sticker price is the price of the game and i ask them to double check and surprise surprise its not. Half the things in there have not been updated in price.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, thats my favorite thing to do

Me "Excuse me, could you please scan this?"
Them "Sorry, but the sticker price is the price"
Me "Just scan it please...."
Them "Oh wow, its on sale"

Everytime i hear that, part of me wants to roll my eyes, and part of me wants to say "I told you so!"

[quote name='dgwillia006']I remember the guy at the Sear's i was at first yesterday (When i grabbed 7 copies of Imagine doctor @_@), i asked him to scan like 3 games, and he had the nerve to say "I cant do that right now, im on the phone, wait a few minutes", then just walked off. Came back and scanned them with a grumpy look on his face, and acted like i was asking him to jog around the store naked . I really wanted to ask him to scan a Fallout 3 GOTY which was still in the glass case, but i didnt feel like dealing with the grunting and stomping[/QUOTE]
That's when you ask for a manager and they quiet down and do their job.;)

Picked up today in fort wayne

Red bull x4 (4 left) 47 cents each
NBA block party 08 PSP (2 left) 1.97
NBA LIVE 2009 PSP last one 1.97

TNA Cross the line WII with the STING DVD 1.97 grabbed last 2 anyone want the game pm me just needed the DVD for gifts (they love sting)

Total around 10 bucks .. for 8 games and 2 DVDS not bad at all

went over to Half price books and picked up 2 Genisis games and neither work : ( (lost of 3 bucks)

[quote name='gxer2002']I get the same feeling when i ask the employees to scan items too and its like an inconvenience for them. If that's the case they should have placed a price scanner in the electronics dept. Some even tell me the sticker price is the price of the game and i ask them to double check and surprise surprise its not. Half the things in there have not been updated in price.[/QUOTE]

"can i get a price check?"

(employees looks at the sticker price) "its $59.99"

these people actually hate there job, im not asking for a fuckin kidney, im asking to push a couple buttons, people are soooo lazy

[quote name='aleraiders']"can i get a price check?"

(employees looks at the sticker price) "its $59.99"

these people actually hate there job, im not asking for a fuckin kidney, im asking to push a couple buttons, people are soooo lazy[/QUOTE]

We, CAGs are at fault when this happens. Stop asking and just politely state what you want.

The easiest thing to do is to say "Please scan this". Or "Please open this glass case" instead of "Can you open this glass case?"

The term "price check" doesn't mean the same thing to them, as it does to other people.

I have never gotten a negative response when I tell them to scan games.

I do ask some basic questions like "do you have a handheld scanner?" if yes, (I tell them, not ask) "Please come with me" and "Please scan these games" or I'll ask "How many more XXXXXX games do you have in stock?" after the answer (I tell them, not ask) "Please get them for me".

It might sound like I am ass, but my way works without any hassle.

[quote name='Readthepost']We, CAGs are at fault when this happens. Stop asking and just politely state what you want.

The easiest thing to do is to say "Please scan this". Or "Please open this glass case" instead of "Can you open this glass case?"

The term "price check" doesn't mean the same thing to them, as it does to other people.

I do ask some basic questions like "do you have a handheld scanner?" if yes, (I tell them, not ask) "Please come with me" and "Please scan these games" or I'll ask "How many more XXXXXX games do you have in stock?" after the answer (I tell them, not ask) "Please get them for me".

It might sound like I am ass, but my way works without any hassle.[/QUOTE]

I completely disagree with this.

It doesn't matter how you word the statement/question. As long as you're polite and respectful there should be no problems.

This isn't some intricate dance or game of chess we're playing. You're just requesting the service of a person who is there to assist you as one of their primary functions.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I completely disagree with this.

It doesn't matter how you word the statement/question. As long as you're polite and respectful there should be no problems.

This isn't some intricate dance or game of chess we're playing. You're just requesting the service of a person who is there to assist you as one of their primary functions.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

i feel like im playing the lottery sometimes when i ask for a price check, sometimes i do say PLEASE and they still check the sticker price, so that really isnt the solution

its hard to believe.....readthepost lives in the NY area, and people are polite????

thats why i have pages full of upc's for this reason

Is it just me, or is Wet (at least the PS3 version) a lot harder to control than it should be? I tried playing it for a bit and got frustrated with how difficult it was to get it to actually do what I wanted it to do -- I'd hit a button and then it would seem to decide whether it wanted to do what that button was telling it do or not. And that was just in the tutorial level. Does it get any better, or should I quit while I'm ahead and move on to something less frustrating and more fun? I like a challenge and all, but not when the challenge is "make the controls work".

Based on my experience with the local Sears, their customer service is so bad. It is just so much easier printing out UPCs and scanning them at the self price checker than politely asking them to unlock the glass case and pull out games to price check. They don't seem to care about the customers who are buying video games. They rather help the ones who are buying TVs and digicams.

Managed to pick up a few DS Imagine Family Doctor for $.97 each. Was about to leave when the cashier said there's usually this other guy who comes through and sweeps all the clearance stuff out of the store. PS3 Singstar bundles I've been eyeing since they were $14.97. There were 4 bundles sitting at $4.97. Picked up the remaining 4.

I hated WET. yeah the guy was upset that I interrupted his tv watching job, lol. I had him open the glass cases on all the diff imagine games and price check them, lol.

[quote name='eau']Picked up on my out of town trip yesterday:

:wii: Muramasa $9.97
:ps3: MotorStorm Pacific Rift $9.97
:ps3: Wet $9.97[/QUOTE]

Where did you find Muramasa that cheap? My Sears sold both copies at $20!:bomb:

[quote name='Readthepost']We, CAGs are at fault when this happens. Stop asking and just politely state what you want.

It might sound like I am ass, but my way works without any hassle.[/QUOTE]
No matter how nice I am it doesn't seem to matter since the employees 90% of the time will act like I'm imposing. So I can say please and thank you and be as cordial as can be and they'll still be rude asshats who don't wanna do their fuckin' job.

So anymore I just go in and ask for a pricecheck. No please, no thank you. If something comes up as it's been reported here and I want it though, then I say thank you. If it's something I know others will want(i.e. Fallout 3 GOTY for PS3) and there's multiples of it I'll grab all of them for others.

Oh and Arcane, I found myself constantly trying to get Ruby to go in the direction I wanted her to in WET and being frustrated when she was acting like a circus acrobat on speed that had suffered major brain trauma. Good game if you're a better shot, but I tend to suck at shooters, so I traded that as quickly as I bought it.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Oh and Arcane, I found myself constantly trying to get Ruby to go in the direction I wanted her to in WET and being frustrated when she was acting like a circus acrobat on speed that had suffered major brain trauma. Good game if you're a better shot, but I tend to suck at shooters, so I traded that as quickly as I bought it.[/QUOTE]

Heh, yup, that sounds like my experience -- though I don't think being a better shot would necessarily help, given how gimped the movement is. Good to know that it's not just me then. Yeah, I hate not giving games more of a chance when I buy them, especially ones like this that sound like they should be awesome in concept, but I may just hurry up and trade it while I can still get back what I paid for it in TIV.

If you want a game somewhat similar to WET but that I think had actually halfway decent controls, try Stranglehold.

It has the same action/diving/super slo mo mechanics like WET. I had a copy for the longest time from Kmart for like $4 but I also had a huge backlog at the time so I dumped it.

[quote name='CAiNiACprime']I completely disagree with this.

This isn't some intricate dance or game of chess we're playing. You're just requesting the service of a person who is there to assist you as one of their primary functions.[/QUOTE]
As you can see below, a lot of CAGs tried being polite, but still got a dumb response when they asked for price check ie "Can you price check this game?" and the employee looks at the sticker price and says "it's $59.99 like it says on the sticker".

But by making a statement (polite or not polite) "Please scan this game or scan this game, you lazy ass", you never get a "it's $59.99 like it says on the sticker" response because you didn't ask for a price.

I really wish more employees followed your idea, "You're just requesting the service of a person who is there to assist you as one of their primary functions".

[quote name='Readthepost']As you can see below, a lot of CAGs tried being polite, but still got a dumb response when they asked for price check ie "Can you price check this game?" and the employee looks at the sticker price and says "it's $59.99 like it says on the sticker".

But by making a statement (polite or not polite) "Please scan this game or scan this game, you lazy ass", you never get a "it's $59.99 like it says on the sticker" response because you didn't ask for a price.

I really wish more employees followed your idea, "You're just requesting the service of a person who is there to assist you as one of their primary functions".[/QUOTE]

You're missing the point. What I'm saying is there is no need to word things in a special format as you so believe. It doesn't matter how you say it or ask as long as you are polite and courteous, thats the only requirement.

Employees are going to respond however they want regardless of a few substitute words or switched placement. The fact of the matter is, there is no parlor trick to getting a genuinely helpful individual who is a pleasure to interact with. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']No matter how nice I am it doesn't seem to matter since the employees 90% of the time will act like I'm imposing. So I can say please and thank you and be as cordial as can be and they'll still be rude asshats who don't wanna do their fuckin' job.[/QUOTE]

I sometimes get the same rude attitude, but I don't care as long as I get them to scan the games. The end result is more inmportant than attitude.

Long time ago, I got a rude employee who said "all the sticker prices are correct" (and didn't want to scan the games with his handheld)...so I told him "ok I want that, and that, and that" (even games I knew were full price). I picked over 25 games, had him carry them to the register, and told him "read each price from the computer" then picked a few clearance games and told him "I don't want the others......lets go pick up some more games". He had a WTF attitude, I told him "hey, I tried to make you life easier, but now you learned that hard way". I picked another 20+ games and ended up buying maybe 6 games total.

[quote name='Readthepost']He had a WTF attitude, I told him "hey, I tried to make you life easier, but now you learned that hard way". I picked another 20+ games and ended up buying maybe 6 games total.[/QUOTE]

You've never worked retail have you? First, that was an assholic thing to do, but more importantly, who did you really hurt? Working retail is incredibly boring the vast majority of the time. And even if this made a *little* more work for the guy, he had to be in the store anyway. I know I'd have had fun with you when I was a clerk. I'd have scan each game so slowly and any that came up less than sticker, I'd scan a 2nd time and perhaps ask another associate if it were true.

He could have made things much harder on you than you could on him. At least scanning the games and then straightening out the shelves afterwards would eat up some time till quitin' time. At least that's how I would have looked at it. Plus, it'd be a story I'd share w/ the other clerks about this "Cheap Asshat Gamer" that came through. I guess I'm sort of an optimist though.

Just picked up Singstar Volume 2 bundle for PS3 for 4.97, Motorstorm Pacific Rift for 9.97, Muramasa for 9.97 and 4 copies of Imagine Family Doctor for .97 each. Funny thing is when the clerk scanned the first 3 games he didn't even flinch but when he was scanning Imagine FD, he noticed that they rang up for 97 cents. He couldn't believe it so he went to change the price of each one to 14.97, which is what they were priced at on the pink clearance label. As he was doing this, I stood next to him and caught him trying to change the price and I asked him "Didn't those just ring up for .97?" He says he has to go off the price on the label, and I told him that the previous 3 games were not labeled correctly either. He realized he was caught in a lie so he ran off and asked his manager what to do cuz the games ringing up at 97 cents can't be right. Luckily the manager said to sell the games for whatever they ring up for. I was not being rude at all and he understood it wasn't a price mistake so not being a jackass to store clerks does pay off sometimes.

[quote name='hostyl1'] Plus, it'd be a story I'd share w/ the other clerks about this "Cheap Asshat Gamer" that came through. I guess I'm sort of an optimist though.[/QUOTE]

I lol'd.

But seriously, I have and still currently work in retail. I'm courteous and pleasant on both sides of the table, and I expect the same in return.

Theres really no excuse for how a majority of employees and customers feel they have the right to act nowadays.

thinking back, that copy that clerk found probably was the one the clerk was going to buy.

i was pissed b/c if im going to be doing all the work to get you to open the case and look behind all the shit, i shouldnt expect you to be snatching it away. are you supposed to expect that you're fighting neck and neck right alongside with employee to buy stuff? its one thing for employees to snatch up all the clearance stuff when no one is looking because I would be ignorant otherwise.

on my way, informed other managers. they completely with my side of the story. but message still will be brought up the chain...

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW I Don't know if this is everywhere and has probably been mentioned, but one of my sears had the Wii Disney DDR Bundle (the full version that is game + 2 dance pads) for $14.97. This seems to be going for $60-100 on ebay if you're into that. I picked up the only one they had for my son (he loves his mario ddr too), and I didn't even think of checking any other sears for price/stock so I don't know just how much ymmv it is.

I wonder when Gamestop Corperate is gonna catch on about Imagine doctor XD. Was talking to a manager earlier today and he said they had gotten like 15ish copies in just 2 days and that they were gonna stop accepting them

[quote name='enufs8d']thinking back, that copy that she found probably was the one the clerk was going to buy.

i was pissed b/c if im going to be doing all the work to get you to open the case and look behind all the shit, i shouldnt expect you to be snatching it away. are you supposed to expect that you're fighting neck and neck right alongside with employee to buy stuff? its one thing for employees to snatch up all the clearance stuff when no one is looking because I would be ignorant otherwise.

on my way, informed other managers. they completely with my side of the story. but message still will be brought up the chain...[/QUOTE]

At least my SEARS stores don't do that. Sure, the clerks usually look disheartened to see that I got some cheap ass game they could have bought, but they never give me an issue. At Gamestop, though, they sometimes pull the "we can't find the disc" routine (which, coincidentally, only happens with rare and sought after games.)

[quote name='Rozz']At least my SEARS stores don't do that. Sure, the clerks usually look disheartened to see that I got some cheap ass game they could have bought, but they never give me an issue. At Gamestop, though, they sometimes pull the "we can't find the disc" routine (which, coincidentally, only happens with rare and sought after games.)[/QUOTE]

Lol, thats what happened to me twice. At one store when i had 4 Imagine Doctors, the guy had this sad look on his face like he was planning to buy them, then asks me "Your planning to re-sell those arent you"?

And at a different one when i grabbed 3, someone (Who im guessing was the manager), asked where i found them, and i told them they were just lying around. (Either she was planning to get the rest for herself, or they were taking them off the shelves or something)

I went to the other local Sears store by me tonight. They have two copies of TNA Impact for Wii($3 TIV @ GS, btw)which I bought and then returned about 30 minutes later.

Other than that, they had one copy of WET(PS3), Dirt 2(PS3), two copies of Wolfenstein(PS3) and various other odds and ends.

No sign of ANY copies of Imagine: Family Doctor(DS) or Fallout 3 GOTY(PS3).

The only game I went there looking for(MUA 2 for PS3) was MIA, but they had multiple copies of it for 360 and Wii.:roll:
[quote name='Readthepost']
Long time ago, I got a rude employee who said "all the sticker prices are correct" (and didn't want to scan the games with his handheld)...so I told him "ok I want that, and that, and that" (even games I knew were full price). I picked over 25 games, had him carry them to the register, and told him "read each price from the computer" then picked a few clearance games and told him "I don't want the others......lets go pick up some more games". He had a WTF attitude, I told him "hey, I tried to make you life easier, but now you learned that hard way". I picked another 20+ games and ended up buying maybe 6 games total.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol:

Lucky for me when I worked retail I never worked at a register, so I never had the opportunity to have that happen to me.

I don't think I've ever done something quite like you did, but I know that I've definitely pulled a bit of an attitude myself when the clerks don't want to scan stuff to check prices for me. I usually only ask on maybe 1-2 things and they're in the same damn case, so is it REALLY that fuckin' hard to just grab the games out and go maybe 20 feet to the register to scan them?:roll:

[quote name='Readthepost']
Long time ago, I got a rude employee who said "all the sticker prices are correct" (and didn't want to scan the games with his handheld)...so I told him "ok I want that, and that, and that" (even games I knew were full price). I picked over 25 games, had him carry them to the register, and told him "read each price from the computer" then picked a few clearance games and told him "I don't want the others......lets go pick up some more games". He had a WTF attitude, I told him "hey, I tried to make you life easier, but now you learned that hard way". I picked another 20+ games and ended up buying maybe 6 games total.[/QUOTE]
:lol::lol:

Lucky for me when I worked retail I never worked at a register, so I never had the opportunity to have that happen to me.

I don't think I've ever done something quite like you did, but I know that I've definitely pulled a bit of an attitude myself when the clerks don't want to scan stuff to check prices for me. I usually only ask on maybe 1-2 things and they're in the same damn case, so is it REALLY that fuckin' hard to just grab the games out and go maybe 20 feet to the register to scan them?:roll:

Snagged Wet and Bakugan for 12.97 on the 360. No sign of Dirt 2. :( However the face the employee made after checking the price was well worth it. All he could say was "How do you guys know these prices?! A lady was in here last week and cleaned out the PS3." Priceless.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I went to the other local Sears store by me tonight. They have two copies of TNA Impact for Wii($3 TIV @ GS, btw)which I bought and then returned about 30 minutes later.[/QUOTE]

how much did u pay for TNA Impact for???

[quote name='aleraiders']how much did u pay for TNA Impact for???[/QUOTE]
It was $1.97 and unmarked. They still had the $19.99 stickers on it.:lol:

But since I don't have a Wii, I don't know the last time my buddies nieces used theirs and GS gives $3 for it I returned them.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It was $1.97 and unmarked. They still had the $19.99 stickers on it.:lol:

But since I don't have a Wii, I don't know the last time my buddies nieces used theirs and GS gives $3 for it I returned them.[/QUOTE]

w/edgecard or base price???

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Base value is $3 for all but PS2, which is I think $2.75 or so. It's $4.50 after EDGE n promo. lol[/QUOTE]

nice thanks man, you know i started thinking about all the "non members/snopers" getting these games before CAG's, i know all the CAG's (true CAG's) wouldnt flip enough games to make corporate GS notice thousands and thousands of IFD

im not going to post any more flips that i find, im going to post that i found a flip and i'll send u a message with all the info, therefore CAG's actually have a shot at flipping games, instead of the hundreds of el horado's cherrypicking our flips

within a matter of days amazon tiv went from $9 to $5

so im guessing watch out for newbies that sign up now, and send messages for flips :twoguns:

[quote name='aleraiders']nice thanks man, you know i started thinking about all the "non members/snopers" getting these games before CAG's, i know all the CAG's (true CAG's) wouldnt flip enough games to make corporate GS notice thousands and thousands of IFD

im not going to post any more flips that i find, im going to post that i found a flip and i'll send u a message with all the info, therefore CAG's actually have a shot at flipping games, instead of the hundreds of el horado's cherrypicking our flips

so im guessing watch out for newbies that sign up now, and send messages for flips :twoguns:[/QUOTE]
That's like when I posted about a 19" LCD HDtv from some third party seller on Amazon for $9.32(wth $27-28 shipping though)and at least one of the posts was 'I ordered five of them'.

Funny thing is some of the people who ordered those tv's(all orders were cancelled, of course)were eventually shipped some wayyyy offbrand component cables and have had to keep an eye on their accounts since then.

Eventually the company changed the listing to that for a flashlight(while keeping the picture of the tv:roll:). What kinda f'n flashlight costs $28 in shipping?:lol:

My Sears (Laguna Hills Mall, CA) sucks. Big box of clearance games, PS3 stuff like Wolfenstein, Lego Rock Band, with $9.99 stickers on them. Also a slew of PSP games. Since I have to have them scanned (none of them had prices), most rang up higher than I can get them for at Gamestop or Target. Weak sauce. Patapon 2 was ten bucks, and WWE SvR 2010 was fifteen, and they had lots, so I may head back for those. Just got a PSP, so I've been on the lookout for cheap games.

[quote name='aleraiders']nice thanks man, you know i started thinking about all the "non members/snopers" getting these games before CAG's, i know all the CAG's (true CAG's) wouldnt flip enough games to make corporate GS notice thousands and thousands of IFD

so im guessing watch out for newbies that sign up now, and send messages for flips :twoguns:[/QUOTE]

im surprised the amazon tiv lasted that long. its gotten so bad that usually they drop within hours, especially during those amazon trade promos last year. also, you'll notice that same theme in other clearance threads (bbv, bb, k, target, etc) about el horados. it sucks b/c people can view your threads without signing in/up.

Checked both Sears stores near me and came up completely empty. No Family Doctor, Red Bull, Singstar, Dirt 2, Wet, etc, etc. Glad I picked up the few games I wanted for myself when they were slightly higher.

As for the debate about surly/unhelpful employees, I kind of agree that changing your wording won't affect their attitude much. However, I've noticed that by changing how I ask about price checks saves me the one stupid response (when they quote the sticker price back to you). I never say "price check". I say, "Can you please verify this price?" Works decently well for me.

please do not talk about flipping the games to X store or to Y website.

i'll have to alter the op and add this. im getting messages from newbs about flipping these games #-o

from now on all talk about flipping games will be removed from the thread. you guys can talk about flipping games on other threads.

[quote name='manthing']Why does the flipping talk need to be removed?[/QUOTE]

It's a good idea. Post the games and prices here, and leave the flipping discussion elsewhere. At least makes lurkers do some work if they want to get in on easy flips.

[quote name='manthing']Why does the flipping talk need to be removed?[/QUOTE]

This is CheapAssGamer, not CheapAssMoneyMaker, though that might be a good name for a spinoff site. Agreed, leave the thread for game finds and prices for those of us that actually want games for ourselves. Discussing reasons to flip will only make it harder for everyone.

Anyway, struck out at one sears yesterday, but managed to find the last copy of Singstar Vol 2 at 4.97. Also grabbed a Viva Pinata for the hell of it for the collection at 2.97.

[quote name='hostyl1']You've never worked retail have you?[/QUOTE]

Judging by the way a lot of people in this thread seem to act in stores, this applies to most of them. And they wonder why people in retail hate their job.

[quote name='Survivalism']Judging by the way a lot of people in this thread seem to act in stores, this applies to most of them. And they wonder why people in retail hate their job.[/QUOTE]

I figure it has a lot more to do with the shitty pay. the girl at my Sears was selling a TV to a guy and she told me she only got 1% commission on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Survivalism']Judging by the way a lot of people in this thread seem to act in stores, this applies to most of them. And they wonder why people in retail hate their job.[/QUOTE]

If I had my way, everyone would have to work at least one job in retail sales, fast food, or telemarketing (I've done all three, in a span of about a year). It would make for a more civil society if we'd all have that experience and remember what it was like.

My wife would add waitress/waiter to that list (the one shitty job I didnt have).

bread's done
Back