Official Sears Clearance Thread II - post Sears finds/deals here

I just got back from Sears and can also confirm no drops this month. They are really determined to sell those $10 DS games for $18.

Darn, I hope this isn't the beginning of a break in clearance like there was for a long time only for clearance to resume for just February and March. There are some games I am interested in but was waiting for a couple of drops before I bought them.

[quote name='regis100']Google shopping search shows Sony Dual Shock Controller $19.97 nearby. I might need to check that out later.[/QUOTE]
Don't forget that the silver ones are $5 at Kmart.;)
[quote name='lobito72']Each time I drop by my local sears the gaming area is smaller and smaller and with about half the products they had over a year ago. I guess they want their sister store, Kmart, to handle all the gaming these days. Although every single time I walk into a Kmart.......it's depressing. The stores look worse than Walmart and when you get to the electronics section, well, it leaves a lot to be desired.

I am amazed how someone in management believes a gamer will pay $20 for an old (2-3 yrs.) game and quite a bit of shovelware they have on their evergrowing "economy" section. My guess is they have been getting many of the Sears games that no one bought from those clearance bins they used to have at my store. But if no one bought them at $14.99, why do they think some "economically challenged customer" who frequents Kmart (let's face it you don't see the same crowd in Kmart you see at Target.............or the same cars in the parking lot for that matter. i feel I could get tetanus just walking through the Kmart parking lot!) will pay more for the game there than at Target or Ebay?[/QUOTE]
Except that besides the very rare and highly YMMV clearance, WalMart should change their slogan to 'always MSRP price.....ALWAYS'. I've NEVER found a deal at their stores.

The only time they've been decent is when there was a CE/SE/LE version of a game I wanted and everyone else was long sold out.

At least Target still does clearance, even if it's just as much highly YMMV as the WM deals for me around here.

But Kmart is good for a reason, in that very few make the trek to electronics in their stores, so unless stuff is clearly marked the deals are there for those who know what the prices are.

That's why even though Kmart/Sears are pretty dead on clearance to me right now, I'm still hoping they survive as a chain, since after Circuit City went belly up Best Buy has stopped doing their clearance blowouts of older games and both Target and TRU are super highly YMMV around here for me.

The new regime can't last forever and once corporate sees all this old stock sitting there there may well be a mass purging.;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also worried about the rise in used game sales in big box retailers, at least at BB, WM, and TRU. I hope this strategy backfires once people realize that they aren't gonna blow 25 bucks on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince after it's been rotting in the "great value on used games" bin for the last 5 years.

[quote name='TheHelix']I'm also worried about the rise in used game sales in big box retailers, at least at BB, WM, and TRU. I hope this strategy backfires once people realize that they aren't gonna blow 25 bucks on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince after it's been rotting in the "great value on used games" bin for the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Places like Bestbuy and TRU tend to give higher TIV on newer titles but TRU tends to over charge for the used titles they sell and Bestbuy Has them marked to match Gamestops used prices.

[quote name='TheHelix']I'm also worried about the rise in used game sales in big box retailers, at least at BB, WM, and TRU. I hope this strategy backfires once people realize that they aren't gonna blow 25 bucks on Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince after it's been rotting in the "great value on used games" bin for the last 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Why would you want it to backfire? It it does, your trade in values are gonna plummet. Why would you want less in TIV?

The only reason to hate used games is to support the publisher.

[quote name='confoosious']Why would you want it to backfire? It it does, your trade in values are gonna plummet. Why would you want less in TIV?

The only reason to hate used games is to support the publisher.[/QUOTE]

Game values plummet because of GS pricing strategy (they basically dictate the value of used games rather than the market). If companies did not accept trade-ins or sell used games, games would hold their value longer and the market would be less volatile.

[quote name='slowdive21']Game values plummet because of GS pricing strategy (they basically dictate the value of used games rather than the market). If companies did not accept trade-ins or sell used games, games would hold their value longer and the market would be less volatile.[/QUOTE]

how does that help us as consumers?

[quote name='confoosious']how does that help us as consumers?[/QUOTE]

You can sell your used game on your own and actually get close to what you paid for it, rather than taking a $25 hit for basically a rental.

[quote name='slowdive21']You can sell your used game on your own and actually get close to what you paid for it, rather than taking a $25 hit for basically a rental.[/QUOTE]

so you're saying other people shouldn't sell used games but consumers can? talk about wanting your cake and to eat it too.

[quote name='confoosious']so you're saying other people shouldn't sell used games but consumers can? talk about wanting your cake and to eat it too.[/QUOTE]

I didn't say companies shouldn't sell used games, I was saying "IF they didn't sell used games"...

The problem with Gamestop/Blockbuster/Gamecrazy/etc is they fix their prices across each franchise.

1000 people selling the same game do not get together and say "Alright we are all going to sell this game for $xx.xx", but a place like Gamestop does set pricing that way. So they can decide if a game like Fallout 3 is worth $5 or $40, not based on the game's merit or demand, but on their supply.

And what happens if their supply dwindles? They can drop the TIV, buy up tons of copies cheap, then sell them either at the same price or raise the price like they do for the b2g1 sale.

Plus they don't have to do any legwork! You guys (not necessarily "you") essentially hand them inventory that they buy way below market value and Gamestop is laughing all the way to the bank.

EDIT: I want to add Fallout 3 was a random game I picked. I understand there are some games that have GOTY versions/GH versions that can affect after market value. I just like Fallout :p

[quote name='Lyricsborn']It's funny when all of a sudden people are Econ experts:roll:[/QUOTE]

I have a MBA and a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, so I think I have an understanding of the subject.

Doing a search for Metro 2033 it comes up at my local Sears for $20, last month it was $30 (scanned it to make sure) so there are definitely at least some drops this month if the price holds true. It's coming up at $40 at BB in the same search so I'm hoping it's correct...

Although I did just get a birthday coupon from Sears for $10 off $30 so I may have to find something else to spend that on too...

[quote name='slowdive21']I have a MBA and a Bachelor of Science in Marketing, so I think I have an understanding of the subject.[/QUOTE]

then you should know that nobody is compelled to sell gamestop their games for whatever gamestop is giving.

So what's your point?

If people want to sell Gamestop the newest game for $10, that's on them.

[quote name='JKSonic']Doing a search for Metro 2033 it comes up at my local Sears for $20, last month it was $30 (scanned it to make sure) so there are definitely at least some drops this month if the price holds true. [/QUOTE]

I can confirm that JKSonic is correct. I checked last night and the prices were the same as before. I think someone else mentioned it might take a day for the online item/price check to update.

[quote name='confoosious']then you should know that nobody is compelled to sell gamestop their games for whatever gamestop is giving.

So what's your point?

If people want to sell Gamestop the newest game for $10, that's on them.[/QUOTE]

I was responding to what you said
The only reason to hate used games is to support the publisher.

I was giving another reason to "hate used games". Sorry I thought that was clear from the beginning.

[quote name='slowdive21']I have a MBA. . .[/QUOTE]

I have an MBA as well, but my school's career center director told me shortly before I graduated that MBAs have become so common that they're basically worthless in today's job market.

[quote name='MaxBiaggi3']I have an MBA as well, but my school's career center director told me shortly before I graduated that MBAs have become so common that they're basically worthless in today's job market.[/QUOTE]

I was responding to the guy who questioned my credentials. You had to take economics for your degree(s) didn't you? I didn't bust it out to impress people, I was just showing that I may have an idea of how business works.

Personally, I think most college degrees are worthless. Most people would be better off trying to get a corporate job with an associates degree and then have a company pay for the rest of your schooling. The person would miss out on college life, but there are always opportunity costs with any decision.

How about something related to Sears clearance? ;)

Using that google link I noticed today that The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass dropped to 19.97 (was 20.97) Not exciting in the least bit but at least it helps confirm that some baby drops happened this month.

[quote name='FOnewearl']How about something related to Sears clearance? ;)

Using that google link I noticed today that The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass dropped to 19.97 (was 20.97) Not exciting in the least bit but at least it helps confirm that some baby drops happened this month.[/QUOTE]

Is that wii or gamecube?

[quote name='slowdive21']I was responding to the guy who questioned my credentials. You had to take economics for your degree(s) didn't you? I didn't bust it out to impress people, I was just showing that I may have an idea of how business works.

Personally, I think most college degrees are worthless. Most people would be better off trying to get a corporate job with an associates degree and then have a company pay for the rest of your schooling. The person would miss out on college life, but there are always opportunity costs with any decision.[/QUOTE]

But nobody ever questioned your credentials.

[quote name='Josef']What was the price before, $24.97?[/QUOTE]
Found it too but the previous tag was at $38.97, also found a buried copy of Twilight Princess for $25.97.

[quote name='Lyricsborn']It's funny when all of a sudden people are Econ experts:roll:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sdclippers']But nobody ever questioned your credentials.[/QUOTE]

I thought we were done with this. See quote above.

Can someone explain how to search via this google link I'm hearing about? I'm out if the loop since it seemed sears clearance went belly up about year ago...

Thanks for help!

I can confirm that Metro 2033 is $20 in-store...not bad at all considering it's still $33 USED at Gamestop and the cheapest new on Amazon is $38!

[quote name='jester55']Can someone explain how to search via this google link I'm hearing about? I'm out if the loop since it seemed sears clearance went belly up about year ago...

Thanks for help![/QUOTE]

http://www.google.com/#q=ds+phantom...UoBA&biw=1259&bih=571&bav=on.2,or.&fp=1&cad=b

I use that link and then just change the search to find what I want. I'm not sure if you can just use Google shopping by itself or if there's a way to set it up to get this or what.

[quote name='slowdive21']I thought we were done with this. See quote above.[/QUOTE]

Oh my apology's didnt know what you were talking about. Now its done.:cool:

Anyways saw a bunch of wii shovelware and a DJ hero for 360 for 30 bucks. Anyone know if the older DS are being clearenced out because they weren't in the glass case as usual but near the registers.

[quote name='jester55']Can someone explain how to search via this google link I'm hearing about? I'm out if the loop since it seemed sears clearance went belly up about year ago...

Thanks for help![/QUOTE]
http://www.google.com/products

I just found it a week or 2 back- it's revolutionizing my shopping habits.

We are woefully uninformed in the matters of Sears clearance and nobody should be complaining that Sears clearance is dead. I probably saw thirty games with clearance tags, mostly outdated ones at that from February. Most not mentioned here. I didn't feel like beng a weirdo in the middle of a main walkway and start snapping pics with my cell. Some of the good stuff not or rarely mentioned I recall:

Wii Link's Crossbow 12.97 (FEB)
360/PS3 Alpha Protocol 24.97
DS Dragon Quest IV 14.97
DS Prof Layton and Curious Village 14.97
360 TC GRAW 2 24.97
360 Dark Void 9.97
360 Brutal Legend 12.97 (FEB)
360 Guitar Hero 2 14.97 (FEB)
360 band Hero Set 99.97
360 GH5 Guitar Set 49.97 (FEB)
DS Band hero Set 19.97 (FEB)

I know some are older and some have been/are cheaper elsewhere, but the fact remains that Sears clearance has picked up a little steam and the clearance list has expanded much more than usual in recent times. I picked up the last 360 Singularity 9.97 and the last Wii Zelda Twilight Princess 24.97.

EDIT: Looking at google, the 360 band hero set is now 89.97 and the GH5 set is now 35.97.

There were a few pricedrops but nothing spectacular. Notable drops include the following:

Alpha Protocal (PS3/X360): $19.97
Medal of Honor Airborne (PS3): $17
Mercury Meltdown (Wii): $3.97
007 QoS (PS3): $23.97

I disagree. My Sears clearance is dead. I see a shit ton of games with June label on them, it's not June yet so those are from LAST YEAR. I checked and they all rang up as printed price, 19.97 or 29.97. The only thing under $20 are shovelware $15 DS games.

Bought Metro 2033 for $19.97 everything else was garbage. Sears clearance isn't what it used to be. At least my Target has good clearance.

[quote name='jdawgg76']We are woefully uninformed in the matters of Sears clearance and nobody should be complaining that Sears clearance is dead. I probably saw thirty games with clearance tags, mostly outdated ones at that from February. Most not mentioned here. I didn't feel like beng a weirdo in the middle of a main walkway and start snapping pics with my cell. Some of the good stuff not or rarely mentioned I recall:

Wii Link's Crossbow 12.97 (FEB)
360/PS3 Alpha Protocol 24.97
DS Dragon Quest IV 14.97
DS Prof Layton and Curious Village 14.97
360 TC GRAW 2 24.97
360 Dark Void 9.97
360 Brutal Legend 12.97 (FEB)
360 Guitar Hero 2 14.97 (FEB)
360 band Hero Set 99.97
360 GH5 Guitar Set 49.97 (FEB)
DS Band hero Set 19.97 (FEB)

I know some are older and some have been/are cheaper elsewhere, but the fact remains that Sears clearance has picked up a little steam and the clearance list has expanded much more than usual in recent times. I picked up the last 360 Singularity 9.97 and the last Wii Zelda Twilight Princess 24.97.

EDIT: Looking at google, the 360 band hero set is now 89.97 and the GH5 set is now 35.97.[/QUOTE]

someone in fort wayne cleared out all of the games saturday night i was told..... a worker told me they are sick of people like me coming in and messing up the game department... i guess the dude grabbed everygame out of the rack and whatever didnt scan at the price they wanted they just left all over the store...

love to find DS Prof Layton and Curious Village 14.97

[quote name='slidecage']someone in fort wayne cleared out all of the games saturday night i was told..... a worker told me they are sick of people like me coming in and messing up the game department... i guess the dude grabbed everygame out of the rack and whatever didnt scan at the price they wanted they just left all over the store...

love to find DS Prof Layton and Curious Village 14.97[/QUOTE]

The store was a mess when I went tonight, I wondered what happened since things are usually pretty organized there even if it usually takes forever to get someone to help you. That said I was able to pick up Punch Out for $15 as others have mentioned.

[quote name='slidecage']someone in fort wayne cleared out all of the games saturday night i was told..... a worker told me they are sick of people like me coming in and messing up the game department... i guess the dude grabbed everygame out of the rack and whatever didnt scan at the price they wanted they just left all over the store...

love to find DS Prof Layton and Curious Village 14.97[/QUOTE]
Oh no. You mean the employees had to actually work and get out of electronics and not stand around bs'ing and watching the big screen tv's for hours?:lol:

I should do this the next time I'm in the local Sears that never drops anything on schedule anymore, only make a delicate pyramid out of all of the clearance games in the dump bin.;)

bread's done
Back