Official SFA3 Max thread

so is the general consensus that the D-pad is just ok with this game? I really want this game, but don't want to pay $40 for it if it is going to hinder the game/experience quite like Darkstalkers did.

I don't think the general consensus is the D-pad is OK.
If you were ever able to play Alpha3 on a higher, competitive level; forget about it on the PSP. The control issues have turned this game in to more of a novelty.
Many of my friends who play fighting games have said the same thing.
Not taking anything away from the game, but the contol on the PSP sucks. Hard.

[quote name='craab']I don't think the general consensus is the D-pad is OK.
If you were ever able to play Alpha3 on a higher, competitive level; forget about it on the PSP. The control issues have turned this game in to more of a novelty.
Not taking anything away from the game, but the contol on the PSP sucks. Hard.[/QUOTE]

Well at the very least, you have SFA Anthology to look forward to in the Summer.

[quote name='THE DARK KNIGHT']Damn. Another reason to make my decision to upgrade harder.[/QUOTE]

Have you played Burnout or Megaman Maverick Hunter X yet?

My Tales of Eternia (EU version in English) from NCSX shipped yesterday and I am very excited about it.

Megaman Powered Up, at least from playing the Demo, has my anticipation levels at their highest in a long time.

The good games, actually worth spending good money on are coming, finally! You won't regret upgrading.

[quote name='craab']I don't think the general consensus is the D-pad is OK.
Not taking anything away from the game, but the contol on the PSP sucks. Hard.[/QUOTE]

figured it was a given that the controls wouldn't be up to tournament level in the first place...the control is far from sucking though. Darkstalkers had sucky controls, these just take a few matches to get into.

[quote name='Chacrana']Well at the very least, you have SFA Anthology to look forward to in the Summer.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely - although I already have all 3 of the Alpha games on various systems -hopefully we'll get closer to accurate versions of Alpha 1 and 2.
While Alpha 3 on Dreamcast is not arcade perfect - its pretty close.
Close enough for me. Alpha 1 and 2 on ther PS1 however, are not even close.
Should be a worthy addition for this Street Fighter addict. LOL

The D-pad isn't that bad. It takes some getting used to that's for sure. I'm not one thats going to do super tournaments on my PSP, so thats rediculous. If you are crazy enough to be into fighting games that badly, chances are you're going to be playing at the arcades or on a console using an arcade stick. The game has impressed me in bringing a good 2d fighter onto the system. The controls for Darkstalkers took some getting used to as well...and although it is definitely MUCH harder to pull off moves, it is playable. For me, this is a must have for the system. I upgraded and never looked back.

I love that Capcom is putting out fighters on the PSP and agree SNK should follow suit, but i still rather have them on the home consoles. And Im getting tired of ports. SFA3 is an amazing game and an amazing port on PSP, but Capcom needs to stop rehashing and porting.

rehashing is never going to stop because capcom has no plans to make a new sf game anytime soon. anyhow this game is ok but if you guys want really good control go with ggxxr. Hands down the best fighter on the psp

[quote name='Madskills1182']Guilty Gear is very good but overall i think alpha right now is the best figthing game on the system.[/QUOTE]

Guilty Gear would probably control easier due to the fact that most of the time you're using only the face buttons to attack, but I honestly think GGX2 kills SFA 3... air dashing = winn0r.

Okay, I'm no fighting game expert, but is it just me or is this game incredibly difficult? I'm playing through the arcade mode(first menu option...) and I can't get past the 3rd match. I've messed around with a bunch of different characters and yet I still suck :D. Would memorizing more of the moves out of the manual benefit me? Also, are there more combos than those listed in the manual?

lol...ok its not THAT hard. I find it gets difficult by round 8. Bison has his moments depending who you are using. However, I dont think the game is overly difficult. You just need more practice. It gets easier with time. And yes....the moves and combos MUST be memorized. How the hell do you now know how to do a fireball in Street Fighter? Or an uppercut to fireball to flying uppercut / misc. move? Combos my friend...learn em and love em.

I've got the fireball down. Quarter circle punch. That's it. I tried using Ryu, but I don't do as good with him as I do with Eagle and the samurai. And with Eagle I've got his spin attack and his charge/jab move down. I've also found that I do better on World Tour than on Arcade.

Ha. Fire ball is nothing. When you can Shoryuken in your sleep, then you're ready. The Shoryuken is perhaps the greatest move ever.

though I like GGX2 better on consoles, SFA3 is just right for the psp. GG gets ridiculously hard in the alternate modes, like MOM and sotry.

lol...shoryukens are a breeze. In fact, I do them by accident waaay too much. In world tour, the reason for doing better is because that mode is made for you to build up your fighter. The challenges come in when you have to defeat 3 opponents one after another. However, even those aren't that hard. I find that 100 kumite is also pretty easy. I started losing out of sheer boredom.

Supaman, for you I would recommend lowering the difficulty level and spend quite some time training for the harder fights. Practice combos which make you feel comfortable. For example, I don't like to do distance fighting (hadoukens and the spinning kicks). I'd much rather jump in with a kick followed by 2 mid kicks then a fireball or spinning kick. If they are in the corner you can follow with the Shoryuken. This all takes time, and not all fighters are the same. For example, Guile works better when you plan your attacks. For example, jump in with a kick/punch continue to hold down. Do a Fierce Kick while holding down. Then do his somersault kick. These are all basic and very simple combos. Try it out.

It could also be your fighter. Some people just aren't good with Ryu. Every fighter is a little different. Even Ken and Ryu feel totally different for me. The sad part is, I've been playing all the capcom 2d games so much, I can write my thesis on fighting games.

Yeah, I've found that as much as I may want to like Ryu, I just can't use him. I am like a thousand times better with Eagle. I've mastered the charge strike(rush in and get like 5 to 7 hits or so) and the spin move. I'm gonna bring my case/manual with me to my wrestling tournament tomorrow and in between rounds I'm gonna totally study/practice the moves.

[quote name='s3v3n777']lol...shoryukens are a breeze. In fact, I do them by accident waaay too much. In world tour, the reason for doing better is because that mode is made for you to build up your fighter. The challenges come in when you have to defeat 3 opponents one after another. However, even those aren't that hard. I find that 100 kumite is also pretty easy. I started losing out of sheer boredom.
[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, it's easy to do. But what matters is when you can use it right. When you can control the Shoryuken easily, you can devastate anyone. Well, and the sheer awesomeness of the move makes it one of the greatest things known to man.

Believe it or not, I love the Shoryuken but I preffer to use someone fast. I like Cammy and Chun-Li due to their speed and different attack styles. I am currently trying to master Eagle because I like his speed, but I find his damage isn't enough to warrant mastering him completely. I only tried him in variable mode with Chun-Li as a partner and I found both of their attacks were incredibly weak. I'll try eagle by himself to see if he's stronger. I know chun-li is stronger in arcade mode, so I'm guessing he is too.

[quote name='s3v3n777']Believe it or not, I love the Shoryuken but I preffer to use someone fast. I like Cammy and Chun-Li due to their speed and different attack styles. I am currently trying to master Eagle because I like his speed, but I find his damage isn't enough to warrant mastering him completely. I only tried him in variable mode with Chun-Li as a partner and I found both of their attacks were incredibly weak. I'll try eagle by himself to see if he's stronger. I know chun-li is stronger in arcade mode, so I'm guessing he is too.[/QUOTE]

I've got quite a few of Eagles moves down packed. So far, he is my favorite to use. His heavy attack for kicking(the l button on my setup) works quite well when cornered or attacking someone cornered. Also his rush/attack is good to corner and then spin attack to heavy kick attack is pretty brutual. And that is coming from Mr. Sucks At Street Fighter.

Finally got the game and im loving it. I owned it for pretty much every system it came out for(even gba!). The controllers arent too bad once you get used to them. I find myself moving around with the analog and then switching to d-pad for combos and such. It came naturally and i dont even think about it.

Someone mentioned Last Blade 2 should be brought to psp as well....right on! I play it on psp using the Neo Geo emulator and i must say it looks almost as good as SFA. If it came out for the psp officially id buy it in a heartbeat.

bread's done
Back