Official Spore Thread

[quote name='VioletArrows']*rolls dice* Common mass extinction!

I want to get this, but 1) I don't like the SecuROM, 2) I don't want to pirate it, 3) I don't have the time, but 4) that's never stopped me before, and 5) the reviews are making it really hard to decide.[/quote]

Option B should be to pay through credit card @ EA.com and get an easy downloadable option that is secure with username password/unique machine, without SecuRom.

that would also help in the 2nd hand market that EA so hates...

I'm playing on normal and I died like 6 times on the parasite part haven't died yet on the creature part but then I'm not that far into it.

lolz

well, i started playing at easy. And still i needed to try out first to see how it actually works.
Right now i am in the spacestage and i got run over by pig's who just said 'no offence, but if i don't wipe you out, someone else will do'. =P~
And i spend already somewhat over 35 hours.
Bottomline is, even if there are so many people saying thats its easy casual stuff, i still need to start at easy. Maybe its an approach for you too?

my creature my religious mobile
500038557716.png
500040693623.png

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Hey what difficulty is everyone playing? I heard this game was super easy so Im playing hard. And its pretty hard... I died like 10 times in the little parasite and the little creature phase.[/quote]

I've played it for a couple of hours so far and it's ok. I give it 7.5/10. It seems a little monotonous so far but I'm just in the creature phase. Designing your monstrosity is the best part but it doesn't change them very much in ways other than how they look.

And @yester, I have installed many games more than 3 times. From lending games and for playing games over LAN I've probably installed Starcraft and Serious Sam 20-30 times each.

honestly, i have (at least as i remember) never really installed games that often. Partly because i have big harddrive and don't have to uninstall really. But hey, i do understand the issue and i agree on it. Not sure why there is a limit really, since i don't see how that will prevent piracy at all.
mm.... in disc check is annoying too.

Once i am done with my first attempt to play through, i will try to go into the challenge of not murder any creature at all and to smithen some alliances. Not sure if its possible, but i seen that there is a challenge reward for it.

[quote name='yester']lolz

well, i started playing at easy. And still i needed to try out first to see how it actually works.
Right now i am in the spacestage and i got run over by pig's who just said 'no offence, but if i don't wipe you out, someone else will do'. =P~
And i spend already somewhat over 35 hours.
Bottomline is, even if there are so many people saying thats its easy casual stuff, i still need to start at easy. Maybe its an approach for you too?

my creature my religious mobile
500038557716.png
500040693623.png
[/quote]

Yep, I just got it today and I am doing the samething. Its a good game though.

Picked it up today and played all the way to the space stage. Thoughts:

• Cell stage is kind of entertaining while remaining simple and short. Its a very good length.
  • Creature stage, at least the first time through is slightly frustrating considering you are extremely limited on the parts available. What's the point of making you search for parts? Otherwise, quite fun.
  • Tribal/Civilization stage are by far my least favorites so far. Very tedious and boring stages, and much too long. Only entertaining part for me was designing the buildings, but even that got slightly cumbersome.

I've heard that the Space stage is the bread and butter of Spore, so I hope it holds more entertainment value than the last two stages. Overall, I have to say its entertaining but I am disappointed because I expected better from Wright. I think a 7-8/10 score is appropriate due to some glaring flaws.

So I was playing the space stage looking for missions thinking this is getting eh. Then I thought lets make a new game and be the galactic dick. That is so much fun going to another planet and just nuking the hell out of it. Or letting them become apart of my empire if they so choose to give up. My goal is to be the conqueror of the universe :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']So I was playing the space stage looking for missions thinking this is getting eh. Then I thought lets make a new game and be the galactic dick.[/QUOTE]

I LOL'd at this. I don't own this yet, but man I plan on picking it up. I thought you making a phallic shaped creature and doing all of the things a creature that shape would do

I'm at the second phase right now and I've only seen Maxis creatures? Is there anything I need to do to get other creatures to show up? I believe my game is set to not restrict creatures to "buddy only."

Ugh, this game is so boring. Worth one play through (4-6 hrs if you go fast) and then nothing.

I'm not able to connect to the EA servers, so it makes it 42x's more boring. The space stage sucks donkey dick. I don't like MSORTS's. (Massively Singleplayer Offline Real Time Strategy). Has the gameplay of a bad MMORPG without the community...wee...

Wow, I didn't think it would be as great as the hype, but this thread is pretty much dead after only 2 weeks, and most people were disappointed in it. Ouch.

I'm not disappointed in it. My friends and I love the game. The space stage is a lot of fun, and my empire is gigantic. I don't get what everyone is so disappointed about.

I've enjoyed it when I bought it on launch day...but when I got to tribe mode my chieftain would glitch. First I think some aliens took him and all I could do was destroy the other tribes since I could not do anything without him. Unfortunately whenever I wanted to move to civ mode, well my game would crash, and could not go to it.

It would let me go to it if I started my game from that mode...but I just didn't want that.

So I started from tribe mode with my character, then my chieftain glitched out he would just fly off into space, die from hunger eventually, reappear, won't move and fly off into space again. So I stopped playing. I might begin from the start again, but I just wish they release all the patches to fix this buggy game.

EA sued over Spore DRM

By Tor Thorsen, GameSpotPosted Sep 24, 2008 11:16 am PT

Class action filed in US District Court contends that publisher hides fact game installs irremovable SecuROM, violating two California laws.

Ever since Spore was released on September 7, an uproar has been growing. Many gamers have taken great exception to the fact the PC game comes bundled with SecuROM digital rights management software. One criticism is that SecuROM only allows the game to be installed on three computers before locking. As a result of the outcry, EA expanded the number of Spore installs to five PCs last week.

Still, a more persistent complaint is that, once installed, SecuROM cannot be removed. Accusations have also been leveled that the program amounts to malware or spyware, since it monitors computer use to prevent duplication.

Spore's use of SecuROM has sparked a major backlash, with pirates using the DRM as justification to download illegal copies of the title. A recent Forbes article pointed out that the game was widely pirated in the days after its release, with the blog TorrentFreak claiming 500,000 illegal downloads of the game were made in just one week.

Now, two weeks after the illegal response to Spore began, EA faces a new, legal challenge to its DRM policy. This week, a class action suit was filed in the North District of California Court by the law firm KamberEdelson on behalf of one Melissa Thomas and all other Spore purchasers. According to the filing, which was made available by Courthousenews.com, the suit contends that EA violated the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act and Unfair Competition Law by not informing consumers installing Spore will also install SecurROM.

"Although consumers are told the game uses access control and copy protection technology, consumers are not told that this technology is actually an entirely separate, stand-alone program which will download, install, and operate on their computer," read the complaint. "Once installed, it becomes a permanent part of the consumer's software portfolio. Even if the consumer uninstalls Spore, and entirely deletes it from their computer, SecurROM remains a fixture on their computer unless and until the consumer completely wipes their hard drive through reformatting or replacement of the drive."

The suit accuses EA of "intentionally" hiding the fact Spore uses SecurROM, which it alleges is "secretly installed to the command and control center of the computer (Ring 0, or the Kernel) and [is] surreptitiously operated, overseeing function and operation of the computer, and preventing the computer from operating under certain circumstances and/or disrupting hardware operations." The suit also claims the SecurROM takes over a portion of the PC's processing resources "to transmit information back to EA."

The filing asks the judge to certify the action as a class action, and award anyone in it damages equal to the purchase price of Spore and "actual damages, statutory damages, or treble damages." Given Spore's success, paying back thrice its $49.99 price tag could prove costly for EA, which had not responded to requests for comment as of press time.

I'm really interested in seeing what is going to happen with this lawsuit and if EA is going to take it seriously or just skirt around it somehow. I'm lucky (knock on wood..) in that I haven't had any hardware problems since installing Spore like some other folks have had due to SecuROM and I'm enjoying the game normally. I'm really not sure how EA could compensate everyone who has had their computers violated by this software though.

Apparently, there have been some hissy fits over the DRM at the spore forums. Someone was threatened a ban over DRM complaints.

As I recall, this happened a while back when some of "The Sims" expansion packs introduced Securom. This is part of the reason why I really no longer claim or help out in moderation in the community because I've seen how EA has shifted Maxis' focus from being somewhat player oriented to being purely money oriented.

I don't understand this DRM issue at all... It's there to stop people from stealing it(?) yet, over 500k+ people have stole it... it's obviously not doing SHIT, so why are they standing by it?

Picked up Spore w/ the prima guide for $35 shipped. I've stopped playing Company of Heroes to play Spore. I'm playing in about one hour chunks. I could see how the game would get boring in longer play sessions, but for me and my time constraints it is a great game. I haven't even peaked at the guide yet either.

I think the attachment you feel to your creation is pretty unique. I hope they sell all the expansion pack they release to make the $$$ as one big package by next year.

Yea I'm still on the space stage and quite frankly I have no motivation to complete it atm. Not with everything else going on. I did jump in and created a creature which doesn't take too long.

bread's done
Back