Official Star Ocean: Second Evolution Thread

gizmo29

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
It seems this game came out last week and no one is really talking about, and seeing is how high quality PSP game releases are far and between I think this game deserves its own thread.

I picked up first departure, and loved the combat and graphics, but the story and characters were rather bland. How does this one differ from the previous release? Better story? Deeper characters?

Please share your opinions

I heard that First Departure is a better remake than Second Evolution. I still have to finish first departure so I wouldn't know.

Square Enix next psp remake should be Xenogears! Damn that would be one badass psp game!

Definitely get this if you haven't played the original PSone version. While this one is more of an enhanced port than a full-blown remake like First Departure, it is still miles ahead of First Departure in nearly every category. But still, because little was changed from the original PSone version, it's only really worth getting if you're a first-time player.

I forgot all about Second Evo coming out, I enjoyed First Departure quite a bit (first time playing a Star Ocean game.) I'll need to pick up SE when I have nothing else to play, I'm also interested in the 360 game now.

I loved Second Story on PSX (easily top 3 game on the system for me), but since First Departure dropped $10 relatively fast, I'm compelled to wait for a price drop. Gotta be extra stingy with my money these days. :cry:

[quote name='depascal22']Do you have to play the first one to fully understand and enjoy this one?[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ, no. The first one had never come out here until the PSP remake.

[quote name='Dead of Knight']Jesus Christ, no. The first one had never come out here until the PSP remake.[/quote]

My bad. I'm a Star Ocean virgin and I was just looking for another RPG to play on my PSP.

[quote name='depascal22']My bad. I'm a Star Ocean virgin and I was just looking for another RPG to play on my PSP.[/QUOTE]

Definitely pick it up then.

Star Ocean: The Second Story is my favorite RPG of that generation. This remake seems to be a true port of that with voice acting added. (I could be wrong about that though)

Buy this! Also, I recommend getting the guide. The guide for the PSX version fetches a pretty penny.

You should definitely pick this game up, regardless if this is your first time playing it or have played it before on PS1. Script wise it seems to be almost identical to the original on PS1. But, there is voice acting in this version of it and quite a bit of it too. I feel the voice acting, what I've heard so far is definitely more than tolerable. In fact I feel it's quite good. Transition between scenes, as well as into and out of battle is definitely MUCH smoother and faster than I remember. I hope I can actually finish the game this time as I've never been able to finish it. I probably got two-thirds of the way through last time I played but that was 10 years ago so we'll see. While I'd love to get it finished by the time SO4 gets out next week I highly doubt it as I remember the game is not exactly short.

Sound wise it is excellent but the music isn't re-made or enhanced. It is the exact original soundtrack from the PS1 as far as I can tell.

Play control wise it seems to be on par with the PS1 version, it's no better or worse.

Compared to Star Ocean 1, there is a LOT more story in this game. SO1 seemed to be a more simple story. There was a storyline but it wasn't as deep as in this game.

Overall, if you love RPGs and especially if you like the Star Ocean series you can't go wrong with Second Evolution.

Anybody browse the guide for this game? I hope Brady does a good job explaining how to get all the endings for this games.

Is there a game plus in this game? That was one of my biggest gripe with the last remake. You have all those missable characters and endings, but they didn't bother adding a game plus. Also, is the relationship meter is still invisible? Those invisible relationship meter drive me nuts! I have no idea which ending I will yield, unless I get pen and paper to tally each relationship event.

[quote name='fatbeer']Anybody browse the guide for this game? I hope Brady does a good job explaining how to get all the endings for this games.

Is there a game plus in this game? That was one of my biggest gripe with the last remake. You have all those missable characters and endings, but they didn't bother adding a game plus. Also, is the relationship meter is still invisible? Those invisible relationship meter drive me nuts! I have no idea which ending I will yield, unless I get pen and paper to tally each relationship event.[/QUOTE]
No new game plus.

Yes it's still invisible.

That sucks! I guess the easiest way to get all the endings is by either: swiping other people's game saves or use a cheat device (Go to debug mode and fiddle the whole relationship meter)

[quote name='ZForce915']Star Ocean: The Second Story is my favorite RPG of that generation. This remake seems to be a true port of that with voice acting added. (I could be wrong about that though)

Buy this! Also, I recommend getting the guide. The guide for the PSX version fetches a pretty penny.[/quote]

[quote name='emg28']
Really looking forward to SO: The Last Hope :360:. Hopefully, it's better than Till the End of Time. SO:SS >>>>>> SO:TtEoT[/QUOTE]I disagree. I found SO3 to be by far the best Star Ocean game, mostly because I found its characters to be a lot better along with the storyline suiting my tastes better. All Star Ocean games rock no doubt, but it was by far my favorite.

This is my top PSP game to buy whenever I get the money or find a deal. I like Star Ocean 2 on PS1, but want to play the game on the go. I wish I was able to get this on sale early like I did for First Departure (Speaking of First Departure, I still need to finish it, but working on The Last Hope right now).

bread's done
Back