Offline mode in Phatasy Star Online Xbox version

Discofunkyboy

CAG Veteran
While I was at my friend's house, he gave me his old Phantasy Star online game. It's the cd only but I don't think I'd need the case anyway. I tryed playing the game but I can't because it says that I have no Xbox account. Does that mean that I will now have to purchase the Xlive kit? I thought this game was supposed to be offline too. Is there anyway I can play without having to purchase anything extra? Thanks.

You can play the Xbox version Offline, but you still HAVE to have an Xbox Live account. Its weird, but thats what they did.

Also, in order to play PSO over Xbox Live, you will need the special serial number that should be in the box (thats where it was in the NGC version). Without that, you won't be able to play online.

taken directly off of the xbox website:

"An Xbox Live account is required to play Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II. To play the game online, Xbox Live subscribers will be required to buy a Hunter's License, which will give gamers the ability to travel on wild adventures with other Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II gamers. It also provides access to a plethora of online exclusive content, such as seasonal quests, downloads, and rare, in-game items. The Hunter's License is free of charge for the first two months and, after that, will carry a service fee of $8.95 per month. For Hunter's License billing questions, or to cancel, call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX and choose option 3."

so basically, you HAVE to have an xbox live account just to PLAY pso (offline). if you want to play pso ONLINE, then you gotta shell out an additional 9 bones a month. whatever happened to the good ol' days of it being able to play it online or offline for FREE on the dreamcast (at least the 1st version). but anyways, since your friend probably had an account on his xbox (assuming he has xbox live), then you might not even be able to play the game online (as the serial numbers i believe are only good for one account on one xbox), but i might be wrong...

Since I don't have the casing or anything, would it be better just to sell it on ebay or something? Who knows, I might just be able to get a trade out of it or something. I doubt it though cause I'm gonna need the box for the serial number. Oh well, just another to put on the shelf and let collect dust.

JC

Im glad PSO is the only Xbox game to require a Live account for offline play. If I want to get a copy of the game for a current system for offline play I have to get the Gamecube version because I don't have broadband.

I think having the Xbox version "Live only" was quite retarded due to the fact years from now you might want to play offline and it will not let you since it will require you to have Live. Maybe they will have a download or patch that can enable you to play it.

Thats definetly true. Although the reason they did it is because in Japan it was free and for security reasons they required everyone to have a XBL account or something among those lines. BTW: PhantasyStar nice name ^_^!

bread's done
Back