Oh man, not more DREs!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm on my second PS2 and it just stopped reading blue bottom discs.
That means no more Tribes and no more Rez.

PS2 #1 got the dirty DREs so I sent it back to Sony for a free repair and then promptly sold it on eBay (I got about $160 for it :shock:).
I bought a new one at CC and got the extended warranty.

Hopefully, they won't give me too much hastle over at CC...

If you have a valid warrentee there's no reason why they wouldnt take it back, That's one of the selling points they try to use on you already! Or you could just send it to Sony again, but like I said the warentee should cover you if you're still under it.

PS2 #1 was a 30001
PS2 #2 is a 39001

When did the 50001's come out?
I must have gotten PS2 #2 in winter of 2002.

Should have just kept the one Sony repaired. I had the exact same problem and shipped it for repair. They probably put the part they put in the newer 50001 models to read the blue bottom discs. Even though I had this problem fixed, I'm still stand-offish on buying any blue-bottom PS2 game (it's the ones with the Compact Disc logo rather than the DVD ROM logo on the back of the game), for fear that it won't work. After all I had to go through just to play Shox, I don't really want to deal with CD-Rom based PS2 games anymore.

Just remember, your extended warrenty is now over. You can only use those once. I suggest calling sony first, to see if they will fix that one. Use you girl friends name, in case they have yours on file. Save teh CC extended warrenty for another issue if you can.

[quote name='BigNick']Just remember, your extended warrenty is now over. You can only use those once. I suggest calling sony first, to see if they will fix that one. Use you girl friends name, in case they have yours on file. Save teh CC extended warrenty for another issue if you can.[/quote]

just go in-store and return it.

Then they can't do that whole gift voucher crap.

thats what I did with my first Xbox

I noticed the last year or so that the CD based games were becoming a bit more rare to see, possibly to avoid making life tough for people with DREs.

I had mine repaired, I dont fear having a problem with CD games anymore, if it happens again I just tell sony their repair didnt last.

my original 30001 model had the dre problem a few months ago. I just cleaned the eye and it went away. I just recently bought the xbox halo se and I made sure to get the Extended Warrenty on it. Has there ever been a cd-rom Xbox game or are they all dvd ?

That's too bad CheapyD. I've never had problems with DREs (although I've gotten close a couple of times...) and I have a 39001 model.

Just a note, though: In case you go get the newer 50001 model which should fix all these DRE issues, it might not be compatible with the HDD...if you're ever interested in getting one. Also, if you're getting the 50001 model and you have a DVD remote already that's worked with your previous PS2s, you're gonna need a new remote that takes advantage of the built-in IR sensor (has a green power button on it).

[quote name='MICHAE2414']That's too bad CheapyD. I've never had problems with DREs (although I've gotten close a couple of times...) and I have a 39001 model.

Just a note, though: In case you go get the newer 50001 model which should fix all these DRE issues, it might not be compatible with the HDD...if you're ever interested in getting one. Also, if you're getting the 50001 model and you have a DVD remote already that's worked with your previous PS2s, you're gonna need a new remote that takes advantage of the built-in IR sensor (has a green power button on it).[/quote]

They dont. I have already seen people bringing back the new models that they purchased a few months back with DREs.

Look at the bright side now you can get one of those new models with the progressive scan, maybe you can get the online pack with the free game.

I must have a PS2 1 at my dad's, because it stopped reading my Sims game which also has a blue bottom. I suppose the older ones tend to crap out like that. And he got his on ebay so it figures.

Fark for you Cheapy.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Wow, I have a 30001 and have yet to have a single problem. Did I just luck out or something?[/quote]

Funny thing is I used to be one of those people who always said they never had one single prob, then one day I got that ominous message.

[quote name='Scrubking'][quote name='SneakyPenguin']Wow, I have a 30001 and have yet to have a single problem. Did I just luck out or something?[/quote]

Funny thing is I used to be one of those people who always said they never had one single prob, then one day I got that ominous message.[/quote]

Same here. But my problem was I didnt have any blue disc. I didnt know mine was crapping out until I purchased the media player thing from gameshark. It didnt work, and I tried some psx games and some blue from a friend, and DRE. Doh!

My launch PS2 has been trying to give up the ghost, but its still chugging along after repeated cleanings and one laser adjustment. Of course, I have to own the biggest pain-in-the-S game to get to work on it: Contra: Shattered Solider.

Am I the only one who won't be buying a launch PSP??

I still say the failure rate is exaggerated. It isnt great but it's not like every 3 people are getting DREs out of the box.

It;s just luck of the draw though, some people will probably go for ever without seeing a DRE, but I suspect the more you use the system the greater your odds.

[quote name='Alpha2']I still say the failure rate is exaggerated. It isnt great but it's not like every 3 people are getting DREs out of the box.

It;s just luck of the draw though, some people will probably go for ever without seeing a DRE, but I suspect the more you use the system the greater your odds.[/quote]

Of course there aren't that many people who are getting DREs out of the box, but I'd like to see the statistics of how many PS2s have gotten DREs that are more than a year old opposed to those that haven't. I bet the figures are pretty high.

I've had three PS2s that gave me DREs, and my friend's PS2 had them, as well. This is just plain ridiculous. I don't think people should feel like they can't use their PS2 very much for fear that it will mess up. It's good that Sony fixes these for free, but they need to fix the problem at the manufacturing level.

Well, the gaming gods must like me then (hey, statistically, someone had to). I play my PS2 all the time, and not for short times, I'm talking 7 hour marathon sessions, and play a ton of blue backs, yet no problems.

Also, my used DC has yet to give me a problem. It even plays homebrews with no set up. Just put in a disk and it works.

I got one DRE on Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but it worked after a second try and has worked on blue games since then. My PS2 is from May 2001.

Although, when I open my disc tray, it makes a grinding noise just as it finishes opening, I don't know what is causing that...

[quote name='Maverick CRV'][quote name='randomizer9']Am I the only one who won't be buying a launch PSP??[/quote]

Nope. I won't be buying one period.[/quote]

Off topic, but I'm with randomizer9...they'll have to give me one if they want me to own it...

[quote name='CheapyD']I'm on my second PS2 and it just stopped reading blue bottom discs.
That means no more Tribes and no more Rez.

PS2 #1 got the dirty DREs so I sent it back to Sony for a free repair and then promptly sold it on eBay (I got about $160 for it :shock:).
I bought a new one at CC and got the extended warranty.

Hopefully, they won't give me too much hastle over at CC...[/quote]

hopefully there sale reps will be better trained then the best buy ones...

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']Although, when I open my disc tray, it makes a grinding noise just as it finishes opening, I don't know what is causing that...[/quote]
I have that too. I think it's based on where you place your PS2...I hear the grinding noise every time when I placed it horizontally on top of my VCR or tabletop, but the grinding noise is gone when I have it placed horizontally on a carpet floor. I think it's just the way the PS2 is balanced or something that's causing the noise, and that it shouldn't have anything to do with DREs.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']I got one DRE on Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, but it worked after a second try and has worked on blue games since then. My PS2 is from May 2001.

Although, when I open my disc tray, it makes a grinding noise just as it finishes opening, I don't know what is causing that...[/quote]

that's when I got my first PS2, a year later and a handful DRE I got my second one.

Ack! I was trying to play a DVD and it gave me a DRE, I tryed it again and it worked. Does this mean my PS2 is starting to go to crap? It's one of the newer models, forgot the #. ;)

I just sent my PS2 (30001) to Sony a second time a few weeks ago (it wasn't reading any disks) and they fixed it no problem. I get the sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to send it back again next year though. What I'm wondering is if DVD use is what brings it on...

[quote name='pete5883']I just sent my PS2 (30001) to Sony a second time a few weeks ago (it wasn't reading any disks) and they fixed it no problem. I get the sneaking suspicion I'm going to have to send it back again next year though. What I'm wondering is if DVD use is what brings it on...[/quote]

I dont think it is on the Sony website anymore, but the original PS2 systems had a little warning that said that although you could watch DVDs it wasnt recommended. It said that for the longest time, but I am pretty sure it isnt on the website anymore. I think they fixed whatever problem it was about 2 versions ago?

I think it'd be logical that the number of DREs are most likely higher with older systems as they'd be the ones with the most use.

Out of the 4 people I know (including myself) that had launch PS2s, one person had trouble the first week as it wouldnt play Solor Eclipse(man that was a while back!) so he returned it and got a working one that week, this wasnt a DRE issue though it just wouldnt load the game after a certain point. After that neither of us had a problem for 3 and a half years, and one hasnt had any trouble yet and the last probably hasn't it played it enough to worry about the wear and tear that leads to DREs.

Yeah, getting the occasional DRE is definitely a warning sign that fulltime DREs are in your future. If you're nearing the end of your warranty with Sony, I'd drop them a call sooner than later.

[quote name='dental_regurgitation']

Although, when I open my disc tray, it makes a grinding noise just as it finishes opening, I don't know what is causing that...[/quote]

I got that right before mine started getting DRE real bad. I tried everything, I even did the home laser adjustment to no avail. I went out and bought the online pack model #500001 and have been happy ever since( of course that was in January) *knocks on wood*...

[quote name='Stink_Pickle']what are some home remedies to fixing DRE's?[/quote]

The first thing I would try is this: open the drive tray, shut off the power in back, then blow compressed air through the slot. Next run a DVD/CD cleaning disk through it. My friend was getting DRE's but he didn't want me to 'operate' so I did the above and now he can at least play DVD-based games.

bread's done
Back