Oh shi (speeding ticket/court help plz)

b0bx13

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So I'm driving along going to pick up my friend from her house. And along comes Officer Douchy McDouchbag, the motorcycle cop. Pulls me over. Informs me that I was doing 48 in a 35. Normally, yeah, I got caught, I'll bend over and take it in the ass.

But here's the story:
I was clocked just past a Walmart. Around here, the two Walmarts are the major traffic points of the city. So there was obviously plenty of traffic. My speedometer read 38 (I kept special note of my speed today, because an undercover unit passed me on my street, and I noticed how I barely saw it. So I wanted to make sure it wasn't an omen or something). Also, a black truck (SUV or jeep, not positive) was directly ahead of me. I was NOT gaining on him, indicating that he was doing the same speed as me.

After I get pulled over, Officer McDouchbag gives the the normal bullshit (blah blah 48 in a 35 blah blah I'm a flaming homosexual blah blah blah). He tells me he'll be right back, and starts to go back to his motorcycle. When he steps back, I had my license in had, and asked if he needed it (seemed kind of strange that he didn't ask for license and registration). He said he in fact needed that and my insurance. Shouldn't he have known this without me reminding him?

From what my friend found, it looks like lidar guns have a near-zero fail rate. So unless I could convince the court of a one-in-a-million chance, I'm SOL in that aspect.

So from that, what would be the best angle to take if the cop does indeed show up at the court date? In particular, would there be a case for possible descrimination based on age (I'm 18, aka a punk teenager), while the driver of the vehicle in front of me, as a guess, going off of the type of vehicle, more than likely 30+.

Pretty much, if I lose, I'm pretty fucked. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Just go to court and try and fight it. My mom went today for the same problem. She got her ticket reduced. I also know for a fact she wasnt doing 46 which she was pulled over for. Seems like you were just an easy ticket, just like what happened to my mom. Go to court, be calm, and stick to your guns that you werent doing 48. Then all you can do is hope you get the ticket reduced.

My dad had a broken speedometer (didn't know it at the time), and he got it fixed and took the record the auto repair shop gave him to court and he didn't have to pay the ticket.

Ah I love speeding tickets. I worked as a prosecutor for almost a year and a half.

What state are you in? For whatever reason everyone thinks the cop shows up at the first hearing. In NYC that is true, in Connecticut it is not. I can't tell you the delight I would have when some smart ass would appear and say, no cop! I get out of this right?

Ah no. You don't.

Assuming the cop had a properly calibrated laser/radar gun you are basically done.

Q-Zilla does mention a legitimate affirmative defense which is to show a broken speedometer and a receipt.

Failing that you are screwed.

CTL

I say fight it, set up a court date and go in, in a suit, don't go in lookin like a bum. The cop might not show, then it will be thrown out of court (which has happened to me in this situation), I remember being told I was clocked at 10 over (50 in a 40) and I was pulled over for it like a mile and a half away from the intersection on a freeway. I know exactly what I was doin at that time cuz I had weed on me, so I don't drive stupid when I am hot, it's just stupid and your askin for trouble, but fight it, worst that will happen is you have to pay the ticket... Even if you have to pay the ticket, try to get out of the points.

Most of the time if you take the time to get a lawyer and fight it they will just throw it out. Costs them more money than it's worth for what you would be paying them otherwise. No guarantees tho.

just go and act professional, show up early, and see if u can plea bargain down the charges, most of the time u are able to as long as you go in there positive and be respectful to everyone involved

Here's a defense my brother used a while back. The radar guns, have to be calibrated, (No bull Shit). You may get off if you ask the cop how to calibrate the gun and he doesn't know how. My brother did this, and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen (cop just had a blank face). Granted this was 2 years ago and radar guns change. Also this was in NH, and my brother went to a court appearance and was abe to question the officer. Dont know if this applies everywhere, but just aheads up.

[quote name='big_squirtle']Here's a defense my brother used a while back. The radar guns, have to be calibrated, (No bull Shit). You may get off if you ask the cop how to calibrate the gun and he doesn't know how. My brother did this, and it was the funniest thing I have ever seen (cop just had a blank face). Granted this was 2 years ago and radar guns change. Also this was in NH, and my brother went to a court appearance and was abe to question the officer. Dont know if this applies everywhere, but just aheads up.[/QUOTE]

If the cop has a calibration certificate from the manufacturer his knowledge of how to calibrate it is irrelevant.

But to your point, there may be different guns with different set up facts.

Nor as a prosecutor would I have failed to prep the cop on that issue.

CTL

[quote name='CTLesq']
What state are you in? For whatever reason everyone thinks the cop shows up at the first hearing. In NYC that is true, in Connecticut it is not. I can't tell you the delight I would have when some smart ass would appear and say, no cop! I get out of this right?

Ah no. You don't.
[/QUOTE]
I'm in SD. I looked it up, and here, if the witness (the cop) doesn't show up, you're clear.

You might just get by with going to some sort of traffic school since your young. Im also assuming its your first. All my friends were able to get it thrown out if they passed a class. Granted, it was their first, and they were 16-17.

I know around here if you show up to court and apologize and you also haven't had a speeding ticket it a while they typically knock the price down, which might save you $30-40 depending on what a base ticket is.

I know this doesn't help now, but next time tell the cop you want to see the number he clocked you at. If he can't show it to you, I THINK (not sure) you have an escape route.

[quote name='CTLesq']If the cop has a calibration certificate from the manufacturer his knowledge of how to calibrate it is irrelevant.

But to your point, there may be different guns with different set up facts.

Nor as a prosecutor would I have failed to prep the cop on that issue.

CTL[/QUOTE]

Where'd you go to law school? (Just an interesting side...I'm considering it due to my english/poli sci jobless undergraduate degree).

Don't fight that shit.

I fought my first speeding ticket when I was 17....and the cunt raised the price from $140 to $200.

NY blows.

That's what I get for being respectful. Negative 60 bucks.

[quote name='Rich']Don't fight that shit.

I fought my first speeding ticket when I was 17....and the cunt raised the price from $140 to $200.

NY blows.

That's what I get for being respectful. Negative 60 bucks.[/QUOTE]

But was that because of additional court costs?

Contest it, go to court about it. It'll help, or won't. Gotta try or you'll regret it. Good luck.

[quote name='E-Z-B']But was that because of additional court costs?[/QUOTE]

No, you pay for that regardless with the surcharge.

It was because the judge was a cockmonger.

You're essentially boned unless the speedometer of your car was broken or in some states there's sometimes a loop hole that if the average speed in a high traffic area is 5 mph more than the posted limit, said posted limit is considered unfit for that area. Chances of that are very, very slim. Whatever you do though, don't even think of using the age discrimination thing you mentioned, you'll end up looking like a fool pretty quickly...

pleaded guilty,
Don't turn it into this
judge say's the officer said you were going 48

na-uh I was going 35 etc. plead guilty pay the 85 dollar ticket + the $10 court cost.

bread's done
Back