Oink! and other Private Torrent Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='SneakyPenguin']What the hell is FLAC, and how do I encode in it? I have a ton of albums people want, but no idea what this FLAC they request is.[/quote]You need to download a free program called Exact Audio Copy. Basically, what FLAC is, it's a format in which you lose NOTHING when you rip a song from a CD to your computer. OiNK is big on hating "lossy" formats of music, in which the music quality takes a step down in the process of ripping it.

http://oink.me.uk/forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=39605

That tutorial should get you started with ripping songs into FLAC format. It looks long, but it's actually pretty damn easy, and it's worth it, if you wanna keep your ratio up, since FLAC files are pretty damn big (my 3 disc Early November FLAC format rip is 847 MB's).

[quote name='RegalSin2020']I don't get it. You can download High qaulity music anywhere people. Why suck dick of some pokey pig when you just have to limit the source speed to 1KB per second if you want to jack off other peoples bandwidth for a downlaod.

Also some of these pages will give the names of it's participants. When "they" come knocking at the door to there gateway. I still don't like the idea of sucking pokeys dick for media.[/quote]

I'm almost positive he's a fake poster.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']What the hell is FLAC, and how do I encode in it? I have a ton of albums people want, but no idea what this FLAC they request is.[/quote]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Thanks for the info, though I'm not sure if I want a ton of near gig CD rips sitting taking up space on my hard drives.[/quote]

yaeh, I was just about to post this. Since you're big on using as little hard-drive space as possible, I'd recommend getting an external HD and setting it up with your FLAC rips. FLACs sound great, but the Ipod doesn't handle them unless you throw on rockbox. I have very few FLACs for when I throw up some good speakers on my computer, otherwise stick to mp3, but FLACs will definitely increase your ratio at a very quick pace.

Me, I never did any of that stuff. All you have to do is find something just up with a bunch of leechers and on the ratio boost bandwagon you go. That and just leaving your stuff up for a few days, especially if it is considered rare or stuff that is for a certain group like ska.

[quote name='PapiChullo']Man, I feel like keeping my ratio at an acceptable level is going to be tough on Oink!. The newer albums have so many seeders that it's impossible to get any uploads, and the older albums have so few D/Ls that it's hard to get any uploads. :([/quote]

It's easy to get your ratio up even without uploading anything. Just jump on the ratio boost bandwagon, especially on new stuff or stuff that is leeched a ton.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']I have very few FLACs for when I throw up some good speakers on my computer, otherwise stick to mp3, but FLACs will definitely increase your ratio at a very quick pace.

Me, I never did any of that stuff. All you have to do is find something just up with a bunch of leechers and on the ratio boost bandwagon you go. That and just leaving your stuff up for a few days, especially if it is considered rare or stuff that is for a certain group like ska.[/quote]

Good tips. I will add requests to the biggest albums, even if I don't want them, then when they release, download it, if it's not a transcode, and just seed away. That's why sometimes you'll see me download crap like Christina Aguilera or what have you. I listen to it as well, because, you can't criticize something you don't give a chance to.

Also, I have 4 invites as of the moment. If anyone has invites to any other exclusive sites, I will trade.

On oink, if it doesn't have (flac) in the request does that mean they don't necessarily want it in that format. Because I've seen some that I have the songs on my comp, but not on a real cd that I could upload.

oink for life, not a lot of classical music tho

anyone know a good private torrent site for classical and opera (don't call me a fag!)

[quote name='PapiChullo']On oink, if it doesn't have (flac) in the request does that mean they don't necessarily want it in that format. Because I've seen some that I have the songs on my comp, but not on a real cd that I could upload.[/quote]Oink-ers typically prefer stuff you rip yourself. I don't really care as long as it's tagged, named, decent quality, and doesn't have very obvious re-rip gaps. That last one is currently urking me with my Rhapsody stuff I grabbed last year and just got around to listening to.

[quote name='DJ K8E']Good tips. I will add requests to the biggest albums, even if I don't want them, then when they release, download it, if it's not a transcode, and just seed away. That's why sometimes you'll see me download crap like Christina Aguilera or what have you. I listen to it as well, because, you can't criticize something you don't give a chance to.

Also, I have 4 invites as of the moment. If anyone has invites to any other exclusive sites, I will trade.[/quote]

Even with transcodes you can get a pretty decent ratio boost until the mods over there remove them.

[quote name='PapiChullo']On oink, if it doesn't have (flac) in the request does that mean they don't necessarily want it in that format. Because I've seen some that I have the songs on my comp, but not on a real cd that I could upload.[/quote]

If it's not in the request title for either FLAC, MP3, V0, etc. than you should check the request description. Otherwise 192 or higher, but do V0 all the time anyhow.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']If it's not in the request title for either FLAC, MP3, V0, etc. than you should check the request description. Otherwise 192 or higher, but do V0 all the time anyhow.[/quote]V0 FTW

[quote name='LiquidNight']V0 FTW[/quote]I use... well, I'm not at home, but it's the one that HydrogenAudio recommends and compares to alt preset standard. It's still probably overkill for my ears since I can't hear anything above around 16kHz anyway.

I'm looking to get Seinfeld and The Simpsons seasons. If anyone knows of a GOOD private site (Demonoid sucks, no wonder everyone has an account there) that has these seasons, I can slide you an OiNK or Pro Wrestling Torrents invite.

[quote name='VanillaGorilla']I'm looking to get Seinfeld and The Simpsons seasons. If anyone knows of a GOOD private site (Demonoid sucks, no wonder everyone has an account there) that has these seasons, I can slide you an OiNK or Pro Wrestling Torrents invite.[/quote]

send one here also. I hear bitmetv is good/something else that I can't remember.

The only invite-only site I use is tvtorrents, but I haven't generated any credits since I started using uTorrent (doesn't seed for some reason... tho non-tvtorrents torrents fine). I'm just using torrent searches now.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I live at uknova.com . So much amazing stuff there.
They have strict guidelines though and they only put up stuff thier members have ripped, which thankfully is all amazing quality.

Mvgroup.org is good as well. It's all education and history/learning stuff. Like all the cool learning channels on tv without the commercials.

Bitsoup and demonoid are good as well[/QUOTE]

What is this mygroup.org site? I tried searching for it and came up with no results. If it's still around, can somebody send me an invite? I'm a teacher and I'm always searching for resources on bittorrent but have often found other sites lacking.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']I live at uknova.com . So much amazing stuff there.
They have strict guidelines though and they only put up stuff thier members have ripped, which thankfully is all amazing quality.

Mvgroup.org is good as well. It's all education and history/learning stuff. Like all the cool learning channels on tv without the commercials.

Bitsoup and demonoid are good as well[/quote]

does uknova have invites?

And what is this mygroup site? I've looked for it, but haven't found anything. I like elbitz at the moment and it's pretty decent for educational/help/how to stuff. oink has a decent amount as well. still, I've been looking for a learnbitz invite for a while.

[quote name='basketkase543']What is this mygroup.org site? I tried searching for it and came up with no results. If it's still around, can somebody send me an invite? I'm a teacher and I'm always searching for resources on bittorrent but have often found other sites lacking.[/quote]

Have you tried elbitz?

Can someone either explain to me this whole torrent thing, or at least point me to a good resource on it? Why is Oink so much better than BitTorrent (I haven't used either and I know nothing about either one)?

I love my music to be at the highest quality, so I suppose I should use one of these sites. Trying to get high quality stuff off of Shareaza is tough.

EDIT: I think I've discovered that BitTorrent isn't actually a site... or something... I'm lost!

So I've just been getting into downloading torrents using TorentSpy and uTorrent. A little off-topic, but is this the best non-private way to download torrents?

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']So I've just been getting into downloading torrents using TorentSpy and uTorrent. A little off-topic, but is this the best non-private way to download torrents?[/quote]

I'd recommend installing PeerGuardian 2 and updating all the lists available, as well.

[quote name='Moxio']God, this thread just fucking screams piracy. I honestly think it should be decommissioned.[/quote]Don't like it, don't come in it. Imagine that concept.

[quote name='DJ K8E']I'd recommend installing PeerGuardian 2 and updating all the lists available, as well.[/quote]IMO, PeerGuardian is more trouble than it's worth. It affects HTTP traffic as well as some programs that access the internet like Steam.

[quote name='LiquidNight']IMO, PeerGuardian is more trouble than it's worth. It affects HTTP traffic as well as some programs that access the internet like Steam.[/quote]Yeah. Azureus has a similar plugin you can install that automatically updates, blocks, logs, etc., and I just use that since I only download with Azureus.

[quote name='LiquidNight']IMO, PeerGuardian is more trouble than it's worth. It affects HTTP traffic as well as some programs that access the internet like Steam.[/quote]

Not really, it's rather easy to adjust and fix for http traffic.

[quote name='LiquidNight']IMO, PeerGuardian is more trouble than it's worth. It affects HTTP traffic as well as some programs that access the internet like Steam.[/quote]

All you have to do is allow HTTP, there's even a button for it... looks like this:
Httpblockedbuton.png

And if it's trying to block something you don't want blocked, go into list manager, find it, and allow it.

Sorry I havent looked at this thread in a bit, its MVgroup.org, not mygroup. Its all educational stuff. Mostly documentaries and stuff.
Really high quality stuff as well.
They don't do invites there, its open registration. - but if you find the site useful and have an extra oink invite, consider throwing it my way ;)

What would be a good torrent site to find a whole bunch of old cartoons and shows?

Some of the ones I am looking for are Cow And Chicken, Boston Public, Boy Meets World, Brandy And Mr Whiskers, Dave The Barbarian, Salute Your Shorts, etc.

[quote name='Sporadic']What would be a good torrent site to find a whole bunch of old cartoons and shows?

Some of the ones I am looking for are Cow And Chicken, Boston Public, Boy Meets World, Brandy And Mr Whiskers, Dave The Barbarian, Salute Your Shorts, etc.[/quote]

I like this place:

http://thepiratebay.org/

[quote name='Sporadic']What would be a good torrent site to find a whole bunch of old cartoons and shows?

Some of the ones I am looking for are Cow And Chicken, Boston Public, Boy Meets World, Brandy And Mr Whiskers, Dave The Barbarian, Salute Your Shorts, etc.[/quote]

I think MySpleen may have some of that stuff, I know I saw very similar stuff anyway...

[quote name='DJ K8E']I think MySpleen may have some of that stuff, I know I saw very similar stuff anyway...[/QUOTE]
i'll agree with myspleen. although looking at the first page of the browse list makes it look like an adult swim tracker, there is a lot of really neat/weird/rare stuff on there. it's also great for mystery science theater 3000 episodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back