Ok I need non-fanboy feedback from people with multiple systems(durablity ?)

jlarlee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
Here's the deal. I'm set to deploy to Baghdad International Airport and I want to have a system there to have something to do. I own a Ps2 and a gamecube w/gb player. I am trying to decide if I should bring one of those over there or just buy an X-Box over there. i was planninmg on getting a box in August anyways. Danger to the systems would be heat and of course a rough trip over there. i have pretty much already eliminated my Ps2 as it was first generation although never had a DRE problem as of yet. I'm leaning to buying an X-box since then I wouldn't have to carry a system over there but how durable is a cube I have never heard complaints about them, plus I already have a carrying case. Also the X-box's are not always in stock over there at the base exchange. Any feedback is good as long as its not fanboy laced stuff.

Cubes are incredibly durable. I dropped mine on asphalt from a height of like 3 feet, and it still worked just fine. Nintendo makes a strong product.

you should go with the cube because u could probably bring that on as carry-on luggage. I never play my gamecube but i wouldnt want to buy an xbox and have it break on the plane ride...it probably wont though.

I'd say cube...xbox has a HD and whatnot which can get damaged and ps2...well ps2 i feel isnt very durable...GBA is the most durable out of anything (not SP) you can flush it in a toilet bowl and it will still work

id go with a gba sp

its small and folds up neatly, perfect for just putting in a backpack/pocket, ive never had a problem with mine and i carry it almost everywhere.

not to mention it arguably has some of the best games ever.

I would lean towards the cube. I move mine back in forth from school and home all the time and never had a problem with it.

I've had friends in the military bring their systems over while they were at war for our country... PS2, Xbox, and GameCube all died. The heat/sand/dust was what killed the systems. Unless you're going to be in an air conditioned area, don't think about bringing a disc based system. I say go with a GBA SP as well.

[quote name='punqsux']id go with a gba sp

its small and folds up neatly, perfect for just putting in a backpack/pocket, ive never had a problem with mine and i carry it almost everywhere.

not to mention it arguably has some of the best games ever.[/quote]

I have the GB player with the cube therefore unless i got a great deal I would not buy a system that I can already play the games on although i can't do it portably

Definately Cube. I own alot of systems (mostly everything from Atari 2600 on up besides the odd and quirky like Neo Geo or Jaguar). Honestly, the Xbox is the only system I've ever owned twice. It and the PS2 are sensitive as hell in comparison to other systems (Disc read errors, etc). Go with the cube and the GBA player.
Or get a Genesis.. They're indestructable :)

There was a video floating around on IGN a while back where someone beat the living hell out of Game Cube and it still worked. They tied a rope around the handle, dragged it behind a car, set it up and it still worked. I couldn't believe the shit they dished out on that thing and it still worked. They finally destroyed it by beating it with a sledge hammer and then setting it on fire. No, I'm not making this up.

I've had zero problems with any of the three systems but between them all I've heard about the fewest problems with the Cube. Plus, after that video I'm inclined to say it's one tough SOB and a mere plane trip is child's play.

I was just about to bring up the cube, and that insane video. Its compact, has great games, and is very durable. If that's what you're worried about, the cube is certainly an excellent choice.

cube is the smallest, most durable, and i would believe most heat resilient. and don't forget the handle.

if ur gonna b lugging the console around a lot, i'd go with the cube. its lightweight and easy to carry around (purse handle).

thanks guys I was leaning towards the box but I think you have swung me towards taking my cube especially since I already have a nice carrying case for it. I'm hardcore smacking myself in the head right now for not jumping on that NFL street deal at QVC fast enough. That game would have been perfect for over there

I hear a lot of military types dig the xbx for all the first person shooting and stuff, but of course you've already made a wise decision with the cube. (plus I suspect there'll already be aenough people over there with xbs for FPSing, if what I've heard is accurate.)

[quote name='BasketCase1080']id say take the cube, due to the fact its the cheapest to replace if anything does happen to it.[/quote]

AHhhhh. nice thought that is one angle I had not even thought of.

why don't you ghetto rig some filters for your cube? you could cut some gauze about an inch bigger than the square vents and poke/cut some small holes in it and tape to the sides. hey i said ghetto rig didn't i? i doubt you'd overheat the cube unless you played hours on end. but then we'd all be wondering why your cube's overheating and where our tax money is going eh?

I got both my Cube and Xbox on their launch dates, and both still work perfect. They've withstood the FL heat and humidity and totes to friends houses.

If you get a system, get it and play it for a week or two before you go, if you have that much time. Usually any major problems that are going to pop up occur during the first few weeks.

I got my Xbox at launch, and it has the dreaded Thompson DVD drive. But it still works perfectly. Although now after 3 years Im getting a few read errors on start up but nothing a reset cannot fix. Its the system I use most.

I got my PS2 in 2002, its the Gran Turismo pack and it has never given me any problems. I play mostly RPGs, so it is quite used a lot. I never even had a DRE on my PS2.

So far I have never heard too many problems on the Cube, I myself havent had any but I barely use my Cube so I cant comment. If you take care of your consoles they would last a few years, make sure put them where they can "breath" (no closed space like cabinets). My PSX(1996) lasted for 6 years b4 it finally gave up.. thats when I got an Xbox :)

[quote name='jlarlee'][quote name='BasketCase1080']id say take the cube, due to the fact its the cheapest to replace if anything does happen to it.[/quote]

AHhhhh. nice thought that is one angle I had not even thought of.[/quote]

Jeremy, I don't care what the hell you take to Iraq, as long as you buy an Xbox soon after you get home so we can play some XBL.

I thought the military entered a joint program to supply x-boxes to the troops. They may be in short supply over there. But I think they have gaming studios in rec areas. But I think that's in more established bases. I don't know really.

I would agree with Basket Case. The cube is cheap. And you might be able to get your hands on an x-box from the military over there. Why buy an x-box if the army has deals to supply that.

Though there is somehing to be said for the GB-SP.

You could always just take a PS1, that way you won't be out of too much money if it dies. You know the its library is huge, so you won't be hard pressed to find some great games.

100% Cube. Not only is it replacable in a cheap fashion, but the amount of individuals who have technical difficulties is very low.

Sony could leave you high and dry.

I'm going to go along with what everyone else is saying and say Cube and/or PS1. Already had to replace one PS2 (for free, thankfully) due to a faulty drive, and there's just too much crap that can happen to an XBox over there.

Guess what system I'm gonna pick...the Gamecube!!! I bet you thought I was gonna say Xbox, didn't ya? Anyway, I picked the Gamecube because of the fact you said you have a Gameboy Player. Here's what I would do, stock up on some good GBA games.

Golden Sun 1 & 2
Advance Wars 1 & 2
Many more...

Then stock up on Cube games that you know you'll put a lot of time in, here are a few I'd suggest:

F-Zero
Animal Crossing
Harvest Moon
TimeSplitters 2
Super Smash Bros

I would say not PS2, only due to what I have noticed to be a trend of breaking. Mine decided it didn't want to read DVDs anymore a few months ago. A have a friend who's had disk read errors, was fixed, and started having the errors again.

I keep hearing good things about advance wars and golden sun some day I will stop being foolish and pick those up. Advance wars is kind of similar to games like ff tactics right? As for the cube games I already have smash bros it is the first game I bought for the cube and I beat TS2 on the PS2. Right now I have Metroid Prime about a third finished and I am also hoping to pick Freedom fighters in the BB deal.

I would have to be the dissenting voice here, i have golden sun and it seriously has every goddamn rpg cliche in it, i felt like i'd played it a million times already.

another plus for the gamecube is tiny games so its easy to move your collection around if you get a couple of those cute little 12 disc holders.
Since you're probably going to be spending time playing games with your fellow soldiers, i reccomend mario kart double dash if someone hasnt already mentioned it, its great for multiplayer and if you happen to run across someone else with a cube and a copy of it, 8 players is twice the fun!
keep your head down and good luck.

haha oops sorry i was searching for posts by rig but accidentally searched for the term "rig" by accident, i didnt even look at the date on this post.
my apologies

[quote name='Milkyman']haha oops sorry i was searching for posts by rig but accidentally searched for the term "rig" by accident, i didnt even look at the date on this post.
my apologies[/quote]

Just yankin' your chain. :lol:

ps2 : worst by far..Easily collects dust from the inside, lens dies within a year or two~~which results in annoying as sh** DRE messages.

xbox: Decent...however, with the heaviness of the system, the larger they are, the harder they fall. Ive had one failure in 2 years.

GC: Best-LOOOOONG lasting (havent noticed a drop in running quality since i purchased the system upon its launch). Sturdy and cheap. Well made too.

I own all three systems, trasfer them around all the time, and have never had a problem. I'd take the Cube though, simply because Nintendo consoles are next to immortal. Plus, the xbox weighs a ton, and the Cube is simply more travel friendly.

I accidentally knocked my Cube off of my 53" screen into the wall, where it then bounced onto the tiled floor. A peice chipped off of the corner, but it still works like a pro. I haven't had a problem with my PS2 or XBOX either, but then I haven't abused them like this either.

[quote name='Milkyman']haha oops sorry i was searching for posts by rig but accidentally searched for the term "rig" by accident, i didnt even look at the date on this post.
my apologies[/quote]

Everybody searches for "rig"! ;)

bread's done
Back