Ok so WHEN is it worth it?

lilboo

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I think this generation I want to own all 3 for the first time. Last time I owned a GCN and Xbox (which I eventually got rid of) and my brother had a PS2..but they all weren't MINE :p

With PS3s sitting on the shelves, it's pretty safe to think that a price drop *MAY* be within the near future.

But is it the price, is it the games, is it the hardware? To be honest I haven't really read much on the PS3, so I don't know a whole lot about it in general.

I can probably answer this one myself. I have SDTV ;(, my 360 does look pretty nice on it (and will look better in HD of course). Does the PS3 hold up well on Standard too? Does it even work in standard? LOL Also, I assume that most games will play in 720p like the 360, right? So any HDTV that will look good for my 360, will look good for "my" PS3?

Basically this thread is just to discuss the PS3 and when dropping a few hundred dollars on it will be worth it.

[quote name='lilboo']I think this generation I want to own all 3 for the first time. Last time I owned a GCN and Xbox (which I eventually got rid of) and my brother had a PS2..but they all weren't MINE :p

With PS3s sitting on the shelves, it's pretty safe to think that a price drop *MAY* be within the near future.

But is it the price, is it the games, is it the hardware? To be honest I haven't really read much on the PS3, so I don't know a whole lot about it in general.

I can probably answer this one myself. I have SDTV ;(, my 360 does look pretty nice on it (and will look better in HD of course). Does the PS3 hold up well on Standard too? Does it even work in standard? LOL Also, I assume that most games will play in 720p like the 360, right? So any HDTV that will look good for my 360, will look good for "my" PS3?

Basically this thread is just to discuss the PS3 and when dropping a few hundred dollars on it will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

If you want to own all 3 consoles then why wait 16months until the first possible price drop?
Just buy a ps3 today. Or wait 16 months for a possible 50-100 dollar price drop.

is that kind of price drop worth the wait?

Thats up to u.

[quote name='lilboo']Basically this thread is just to discuss the PS3 and when dropping a few hundred dollars on it will be worth it.[/QUOTE]

I think the PSP is useful evidence that Sony will take its sweet-ass time with a pricedrop, even to its own consternation in the market.

[quote name='Ivanhoe']If you want to own all 3 consoles then why wait 16months until the first possible price drop?
Just buy a ps3 today. Or wait 16 months for a possible 50-100 dollar price drop.

is that kind of price drop worth the wait?

Thats up to u.[/QUOTE]

Not really asking what's good for me since only I can make that call, LOL

I'm just curious about those who do want a PS3, but don't want to dish out $600 because of the price, or the games, or because of their TV? Just want to know what's going to be the turning point for when people say "Ok, NOW I'm going to get a PS3"

I'd wait until there are some games out that your dying to play. Right now PS3 has ONE decent game, and its a *yawn* fps. Dont buy a system cos your bored, or you want to impress your friends (not saying those are your reasons) buy a system cos it has MUST HAVE games that you wont be able to live another day unless you play them.

When Ynos finishes taking their big ass dump on their fans.... which is about this summer.

FINISH THE PURCHASE 2007
3_logo.jpg_thumb.jpg

[quote name='Cormier6083']When Ynos finishes taking their big ass dump on their fans.... which is about this summer.

FINISH THE PURCHASE 2007
3_logo.jpg_thumb.jpg
[/quote]

This coming from an obviously unbiased person.....:roll: :roll: :roll:

[quote name='scp89']buy a wii...then get an HDTV then buy a ps3 by then there will be decent ps3 titles available[/QUOTE]

I have a Wii. And a 360.

Don't need a PS3 anytime soon thanks to my Wii & 360 and the games with it. (Especially the 360!)

I guess for me it's going to have until a price drop (Under $500 preferably..), along with at LEAST 5 games that REALLY appeal to me (and AREN'T on the 360) and I already have an HTDV.

So I guess I'll be getting a PS3 sometime in 2008.

Since you asked...

For me it's a combination of the price vs software available.

I bought the 360 when Oblivion came out. That's when there were at least 3 or 4 titles I wanted to play, plus a good stream of games "in the pipeline" that looked interesting. It was then worth the $400 investment.

I bought the Wii at launch. There were 2 games out of the shoot I was interested in playing (Zelda and TC), one more shortly after (Elebits) and a whole stream more in the pipeline. It was worth the $250 investment.

I'm waiting on the PS3. There's only 1 game out, now, that I have any interest in (the obvious R:FOM). There's nothing in the near future that appeals to me, really, to justify the investment. MGS4, FFXIII, the next Gran Tourismo (glad they bagged the concept behing GT:HD), and Silent Hill 5 will likely be what compels me to buy a PS3, eventually. Those games will make the $600 investment worthwhile (assuming they are as good as you would expect them to be and, as expected, PS3 exlusives). But I'm not going to pay the price they're asking with the software line up currently out there, nor the one projected for the next several months.

Well I dont understand why people wait till good games come out when its the same price. Why spend 600 dollars in about a year when you can just spend it now and have a PS3 an extra year.

[quote name='chodax']Well I dont understand why people wait till good games come out when its the same price. Why spend 600 dollars in about a year when you can just spend it now and have a PS3 an extra year.[/quote]
To do what with it? Let it collect dust? To use as a paperweight 99% of the time? Why buy something you have little, to no, use for right now? Just to "have it"? I guess, coming from a 32 year old man who's sole income supports his entire household + investment portfolio, my answer would be I don't have a compelling need just to "have it" to say I "have it". If it's not useful, right now, I'll wait until it is. I don't need the instant gratification of owning it, I guess, and I certainly don't need it as a status symbol.....so what other purpose would it have?

I'd prefer to keep my $600, earning interest or dividends or whatever, or spend that $600 on something I CAN use now, for that 6 months to a year, until there is a compelling reason to spend that amount on a PS3.

Personally I'm waiting for about a 200$ price cut/discount and of course for some decent games. I'm not big into FPS games so Resistance does little for me and really IMO that's the only decent game out. I'm also not very excited for Lair either.

I also don't see a ton of games coming out this year for the PS3 that I want to play. It seems like FF13 and maybe MGS4 (if that even stays exclusive) are about it for right now.

It's not about price for me. I will buy a PS3 when:

1. They fix the scaling issue either through a hardware update or a software patch; and
2. There are at least three AAA exclusives released (you know that will happen eventually)

I really want to get one eventually because I'm sure there will be a lot of great stuff to play but if both of these things aren't fixed I'm NEVER buying one ever even if it's on clearance for $50 in 5 years.

Like javeryh, price isn't a big issue for me, or at least it's not what holds me back. Considering I'll likely finance it through work and I think it will be at least 2 years before an effective price drop occurs. I own a 360 so that price comparison argument (which I only classify as a $100 difference) doesn't do a thing for me.

The system does need more blockbuster titles, but i think that'll happen sooner rather than later. In fact if some play as good as they look then it could happen by fall. Again though this is assuming previews are any indication (which they usally aren't) and the release dates hold, but I think there's def. some titles that could be huge in the pipeline for later this year. Also though, I feel that while I have an HDTV it is only 19". It's fine for my bedroom (still a 27" SDTV in the main room) and playing games is okay on it, but if I ever got a PS3 I'd no doubt want to use the Blu-ray capabilites and watching hi-def movies on a 19" in the bedroom seems like a bit of a waste.

So for me the two hinderences are my TV and titles, I hope to get a new TV with my tax refund this sping and I hope for some big titles by the fall and maybe I'll have the PS3 around christmas 2007.

So far in my use of the PS3, it has better support for 4:3 SDTV than the 360. Seems the Japanese might be slower in adopting, or at least, ASSUMING every one has a shiny new HD TV. Hell, even Gran Turismo HD supports 4:3.

I really like being an early adopter.
I don't see a price cut anytime soon, and if there was, the time vs savings isn't that worth it to me.

I like sitting here with an early system, testing out the internal features, playing with the HDD, with it's media playback, enjoying a freakin' BD movie for the FIRST TIME!

I like anticipating the firmware, watching it fix and grow my system.

That's why I got the PSP at launch. I was there as homebrew was starting.
And now I have a beautiful PSP that can play whatever I want, including my own personal PSX games.

I'd go so far as to say, you don't buy a launch system for the big selection of games.
Both the Wii and PS3 have poor selections right now, but I know that won't be the case forever.

I think, as others have stated, that the answer to the question the OP poses of "When is it worth it" is a very personal, subjective thing.

However if the OP is asking specifically for each of us to give our opinion and not simply posing a broad general question, then for ME it will be worth it when there are a few exclusive titles available ONLY on PS3 that have dropped far enough in price for me to consider buying them, AND I'm no longer feeling the pinch of the backlog of games on my current systems to play, PLUS the future Wii and/or 360 that I'll have long before I get a PS3.

In other words, I may be waiting a while.

[quote name='keithp']I think, as others have stated, that the answer to the question the OP poses of "When is it worth it" is a very personal, subjective thing.

However if the OP is asking specifically for each of us to give our opinion and not simply posing a broad general question, then for ME it will be worth it when there are a few exclusive titles available ONLY on PS3 that have dropped far enough in price for me to consider buying them, AND I'm no longer feeling the pinch of the backlog of games on my current systems to play, PLUS the future Wii and/or 360 that I'll have long before I get a PS3.

In other words, I may be waiting a while.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I did mean for you all personally, and in general I guess :)

The only thing IMO of having a PS3.. is if you got one on LAUNCH day. That's like.. a reward I guess for camping out for a few days! Then it may be more of a showpiece. That would be more "worth it" then going to Wal-Mart right now and buying it (they are in stock... ALOT..)

I got my Wii on launch.. camped for 12 hours and it's a nice feeling to get what everyone else wants.. but can't get :) (That STILL applies to right now for the Wii)

ANYway, interesting to see that many people aren't that bothered by the price, just the amount of games that aren't here yet.

I want to take this a little OoT, but still be in the same ballpark as this. If you bought a 360 and/or Wii at launch and they too had a higher price ($600) would of they been worth it? The only thing is.. the Wii hardware is pretty cheap. So let's SAY for arguments sake that the Wii had at a 20GB internal and could play DVDs and was also in 720p.

^ Just curious :)

[quote name='keithp']Actually if that had happened with the Wii I might've been more interested in tracking one down at launch.[/quote]

Haha same (even though I have one). If the Wii was HD (including an internal scaler) I'd be even happier.

I'd choose Sony over MS at that price because I know where devs are going to go.

I'd choose the Wii second because the controller hasn't totally proven itself. Still kinda fun though.

Just one more person here saying you should wait until there is more software out. Since you didn't mention a thing about owning any other next-gen consoles, I'll assume you don't and reccomend you either an Xbox 360 or a Wii. Right now, the Xbox 360 is a good console if you want it as a "main". If you're still playing through a lot of PS2 games, get a Wii as a "secondary" console.

Yeah...I'd wait. I'm returning my PS3 to Best Buy as soon as I beat Resistance. I find the PS3 is weak and Sony pumped up the system too much. I got my Wii an the PS3 at the same time. My Wii gets 5x more play than the PS3. I also own the 360 and I can admit I have played my 360 more than the PS3 this week (and I got the PS3 1 week ago). The PS3 was a major let down and I can live without the 2 or 3 exclusives they have left.

[quote name='s3v3n777']Yeah...I'd wait. I'm returning my PS3 to Best Buy as soon as I beat Resistance. I find the PS3 is weak and Sony pumped up the system too much. I got my Wii an the PS3 at the same time. My Wii gets 5x more play than the PS3. I also own the 360 and I can admit I have played my 360 more than the PS3 this week (and I got the PS3 1 week ago). The PS3 was a major let down and I can live without the 2 or 3 exclusives they have left.[/quote]

You can return a used system?

I used to get pissed when people tried to return a CD because they didn't like it. This is way worse.

Yessir you can. Thats the magic of retail. I refuse to own a shitty system. As a consumer I have the right to return something I am not 100% pleased with.

I got mine mainly for the blu-ray player. I bought the ps3 remote as soon as I saw it in stores.

For me, the exclusive killer-apps will be MGS4, and FFXIII.
VF5 is another but that'll be on XBox360.

For now, I'm happy with Gran Turismo HD. I'll be happier once they make Tekken5DR available on the US store, and even more so when they release a firmware that performs DVD upscaling to 1080i/p...

[quote name='s3v3n777']Yessir you can. Thats the magic of retail. I refuse to own a shitty system. As a consumer I have the right to return something I am not 100% pleased with.[/QUOTE]

:lol: Yeah, and enjoy the 15% restocking fee they will slam on you for returning something that has no issues, and even if there is, they have plenty in-stock.
I didn't know Best Buy has a 100% Satisfaction guarantee. If so, let me know so I can buy a bunch of DVDs and return them a few days later after I finish watching them. I also need to buy a 62' DLP for the big game and return it promptly afterwards.

Ive NEVER seen an open box videogame system at Best Buy. Accessories, sure. System, No.

[quote name='gizmogc']:lol: Yeah, and enjoy the 15% restocking fee they will slam on you for returning something that has no issues, and even if there is, they have plenty in-stock.
I didn't know Best Buy has a 100% Satisfaction guarantee. If so, let me know so I can buy a bunch of DVDs and return them a few days later after I finish watching them. I also need to buy a 62' DLP for the big game and return it promptly afterwards.

Ive NEVER seen an open box videogame system at Best Buy. Accessories, sure. System, No.[/QUOTE]

Yeah A-hole, sorry to let you know that DVDs dont work like that and when I returned my first broken 360, there were no restocking fees. Get over it. You CAN return the system if it's in the 30 days. I've done it with plenty of higher cost items and never had a restocking fee. Plus it helps when you know the people that work there and aren't a prick.

[quote name='s3v3n777']Yeah A-hole, sorry to let you know that DVDs dont work like that and when I returned my first broken 360, there were no restocking fees. Get over it. You CAN return the system if it's in the 30 days. I've done it with plenty of higher cost items and never had a restocking fee. Plus it helps when you know the people that work there and aren't a prick.[/QUOTE]

Actually as someone who's worked there and currently work's at BB's competitor I can tell you alot of items have restocking fees now to prevent people from using stores as personal rental services. Game consoles are one of the few higher priced items that usually don't as of now (really IMHO anything over $300 should have not just to prevent that, but fraudulent returns as well). You may have got lucky and had some friend or something to wave it off for you but that doesn't mean they don't exist...

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']Actually as someone who's worked there and currently work's at BB's competitor I can tell you alot of items have restocking fees now to prevent people from using stores as personal rental services. Game consoles are one of the few higher priced items that usually don't as of now (really IMHO anything over $300 should have not just to prevent that, but fraudulent returns as well). You may have got lucky and had some friend or something to wave it off for you but that doesn't mean they don't exist...[/quote]

In my experience, and my experience alone, provided you're willing to accept store credit, or "trade up/sideways", most stores (like BB and CC) will waive the restock fees even on those big ticket items.

I did it with BB when trying out recievers. I had 2 or 3 that I was interested in and even explained that to the salesperson. He said I should "audition" them until I found one I liked. Tried the Sony and wasn't impressed. Tried the Pioneer and, well...it's still sitting in my LR. They waived the restock fee on the Sony when I returned it....

For me, I don't think I'll jump in until the price drops to $400 (or less) for the 60GB or there are just too many A+ games out there for me to wait anymore. Granted, I don't see the price dropping on this too fast, so more than likely it'll depend on the games. Ask me in a year and I'll have a better answer then.

I purchase a system once I have a number of games that I want for the system. I owned all 3 systems last gen and will again this gen. I do however wait some amount of time between purchases because I am on a budget.

360 $399 with COD2 and $20 game card.
I will buy the Wii as soon as a price drop or another game is included.
I will buy the PS3 when it is $300 or less.

Sure it may be toward the end of a systems life when I get one but then the games are all that much less expensive.

[quote name='pilferk']In my experience, and my experience alone, provided you're willing to accept store credit, or "trade up/sideways", most stores (like BB and CC) will waive the restock fees even on those big ticket items.

I did it with BB when trying out recievers. I had 2 or 3 that I was interested in and even explained that to the salesperson. He said I should "audition" them until I found one I liked. Tried the Sony and wasn't impressed. Tried the Pioneer and, well...it's still sitting in my LR. They waived the restock fee on the Sony when I returned it....[/QUOTE]

Wow they were nice to you. Since they basically have to sell that as an open box item now.

As a general rule for me, I won't buy a console until I can get it for 50% of the launch price or less. So far that's worked out well for me with no regrets. I have no problem being 2 years behind since it lets me catch up on my backlog.

[quote name='dopa345']As a general rule for me, I won't buy a console until I can get it for 50% of the launch price or less. So far that's worked out well for me with no regrets. I have no problem being 2 years behind since it lets me catch up on my backlog.[/QUOTE]
This is the way to go. I waited til I got the slim ps2 for 50% off with coupons. SO i got a slim ps2 for ~80 bucks and games for ~5-20 bucks off ebay, and b and m cheapie deals. What's funny is that I played Final Fantasy X a year ago and it's still the most technically impressive game on the ps2 since forever. that and metal gear solid 2 which is like a measly 4 bucks at gamestop. I got al the greatest hits titles for 10-15 bucks and am playing shadow of the collossus, kingdom hearts, god of war, gran turismo 4 for ~140 bucks altogether. These games have a baseline threshold of 15-20 bucks on ebay, meaning that they will always hover at this price or move up but never below. SO if I wanted to sell them after I played them, I'd either make a small profit or break even. After I fiinsh the backlog of these titles the ps3 will probably be 400 bucks in 2 years and finding a good cheapie deal will probably be ~300 bucks with cheap hdmi cables and at that time a really good hdtv 1080p will be ~2000 bucks. So I'd say wait for ps3 in 2 years when you can get everything cheap and games will be either subsidized as greatest hits or discounted cause they couldn't sell. Videogames are notorious for the high depreciation value. In the videogame business, the early bird gets the rotten diseased worm but the late one gets delicious cheesesteak.

[quote name='lilboo']I think this generation I want to own all 3 for the first time. Last time I owned a GCN and Xbox (which I eventually got rid of) and my brother had a PS2..but they all weren't MINE :p

Basically this thread is just to discuss the PS3 and when dropping a few hundred dollars on it will be worth it.[/quote]

on a SDTV the 360 will look better because it's got ANA
http://www.2old2play.com/News/ANA__Microsoft_s_Ace_In_The_Hole

when should you buy it? buy it when you have a 1080p HDTV and need a Blu-Ray player.

MS is moving to 65nm fab next summer; and you know what that means. price drop. im guessing by $100. Sony will HAVE to drop it's price. no1 in their right mind will pay DOUBLE for a console that's nearly identical.

look for a PS3 price drop in Sept next year.

[quote name='javeryh']It's not about price for me. I will buy a PS3 when:

1. They fix the scaling issue either through a hardware update or a software patch; and
2. There are at least three AAA exclusives released (you know that will happen eventually)

I really want to get one eventually because I'm sure there will be a lot of great stuff to play but if both of these things aren't fixed I'm NEVER buying one ever even if it's on clearance for $50 in 5 years.[/QUOTE]

Bingo, except that I probably would get one for $50 ;).

[quote name='Brian9824']This coming from an obviously unbiased person.....:roll: :roll: :roll:[/quote]

lol I was a Sony fanboy believe it or not. It's kinda hard not to be biased

[quote name='Indiana']Wow they were nice to you. Since they basically have to sell that as an open box item now.[/quote]

You sure about that?

I mean, I knew what I was doing, so I was VERY careful. When I reboxed the reciever, other than the fact the box was actually OPEN, you couldn't even tell it had been unpacked. The only bag I opened was the remote bag (left the "included batteries" sealed and used my own) and, in this case, it was a fold over and staple, not a factory seal. I restapled it when repacking. I left the included cables, and even the documentation, in it's sealed bag. I didn't need 'em just to audition the reciever....I have more than enough of my own cables. :)

I'd bet dollars to donuts that box went back on the shelf as new. I could be wrong. I didn't ask. But they also ended up selling me a more expensive reciever at the end of this process...and I kept the original sales person involved the whole way so nobody was confused.....so I don't feel TOO bad if it wasn't.

I'll definitely be picking one up around July. There will be enough lower-priced interesting titles to choose from to warrant a purchase. Sure there will be some games that will not be exclusive, but on the whole, between Lair, Heavenly Sword, and the forthcoming Metal Gear Solid 4, I think there will be enough to justify a purchase.

Still, that also depends on the firmware updates that the system goes though. If the GUI isn't a lot better than then, I may hold off for even longer.

bread's done
Back