Ok weed smokers need some info

Theenternal

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I have a group of college buddies that take homeless people of the street and try to get them back on track with life. (homelesscouncil.org)

Recently they have taken in a 19 year old kid, who may possibly be smoking, which against their rules.

This is not the only evidence, and they have drug tests that they can give, but what is the average length of the bloodshot eye effect?

not to be a dick but you should proofread just a bit. In regard to what you asked, your eyes stay red until you are not high but getting high never really ends unless you fall asleep and even then the THC is still stored in the cells in your brain. So, technically, his eyes could stay red all day long but some people just have red eyes. Just out of curiousity, if he is smoking pot are you going to stop helping him?

[quote name='jughead']not to be a dick but you should proofread just a bit. In regard to what you asked, your eyes stay red until you are not high but getting high never really ends unless you fall asleep and even then the THC is still stored in the cells in your brain. So, technically, his eyes could stay red all day long but some people just have red eyes. Just out of curiousity, if he is smoking pot are you going to stop helping him?[/QUOTE]

Um...you have no clue what you are talking about.

The red eyes are obviously caused because marijuana causes the blood vessels to dilate, and the most sensitive and visible blood vessels happen to be in your eyes. They have nothing to do with how high you are. Someone could smoke, use eyedrops that 'get the red out' and be high and have no red eyes.

Anyway, red eyes are not a good way at all to tell if someone has been smoking. Red eyes combined with a stupid facial expression? Perhaps.

Let the guy smoke some pot. His life sucks, let him atleast 'escape' from him.
And you're buddies...do they do the bum fights for weed? C'mon...admit it!

And you posted this in Other Deals & Requests? WTF?

Don't you guys read it's against the rules of the place. Execptions like that for some small rehibilitation and shelter type deals could result in loss of funding or some other things. It's happened before from what i've read over the years in the paper.

No idea about the drug thing.

The problem with red eye tests is that other things such as severe lack of sleep can be a factor. Give him a drug test and then if he fails and you want to boot his ass.

Oh if I might inquire do you know the rough success rate of this club?

The last thing I would ever do is take a homeless person off the street. You're just opening yourself up for trouble taking in a lazy bum who won't get a job and sits with a sign on the corner of Wal-Mart begging for food with his dog, baby, and pregnant wife. Oh, and the dog only has 3 legs.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The problem with red eye tests is that other things such as severe lack of sleep can be a factor.[/QUOTE]Or sleeping in dirt...that could do it.

How do you go about helping homeless people, thats what i wanna know, i mean, you get them off the streets, but do you keep them away from the streets and teach them righteousness and change them fully , so they can understand whats right and wrong.

they are trying to give the kid a break on life, it is their choice to help him, and as they are flipping the bill on food and housing he needs to abide by the no drug rule.

-other deals and requests = information request (how i view it)
-i've had little sleep, so forgive the grammer etc..it was understood anyways.

I have been with the group since feb almost every friday helping out on a large scale.

A core group of guys there, share this house which they try and get people off the street. It has about a 20-25% success rate, which is high imo. But they are very selective of who they choose, and they have been doing this for several years.

The 19 year old has only been there for a week, he is allowed to smoke cigs outside the house but has stepped out for a bit and his eyes were pretty bloodshot, which they are not normally.. He was also pretty quiet at that point.

If he fails then they will give him another chance, but will be testing on a regular basis. They are able to do urine tests at the house

Maybe the redness comes from the enternal sadness one has of having nothing to wake to every day except another day of not dying.

[quote name='zionoverfire']Yes, but I really didn't want to say that.:lol:[/QUOTE]

But this post was a gem, good think you let us all know you were reading and then posting, but with a useless nothing post.

[quote name='Theenternal']they are trying to give the kid a break on life, it is their choice to help him, and as they are flipping the bill on food and housing he needs to abide by the no drug rule.

-other deals and requests = information request (how i view it)
-i've had little sleep, so forgive the grammer etc..it was understood anyways.

I have been with the group since feb almost every friday helping out on a large scale.

A core group of guys there, share this house which they try and get people off the street. It has about a 20-25% success rate, which is high imo. But they are very selective of who they choose, and they have been doing this for several years.

The 19 year old has only been there for a week, he is allowed to smoke cigs outside the house but has stepped out for a bit and his eyes were pretty bloodshot, which they are not normally.. He was also pretty quiet at that point.

If he fails then they will give him another chance, but will be testing on a regular basis. They are able to do urine tests at the house[/QUOTE]

Is this even legal? I mean, I'm sure it is, he is an adult, but still....

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']How do you go about helping homeless people, thats what i wanna know, i mean, you get them off the streets, but do you keep them away from the streets and teach them righteousness and change them fully , so they can understand whats right and wrong.[/QUOTE]

It depends on your what you mean by rightousness... They only choose people who they have known and been around for a decent amount of time.

Then they go with the lowest risk/higher success people.

So people that are, or who appear clean, but they will test if they see reason to.. like above scenero.

They must go looking for a job each day and will be checked on a regular basis through their employer.

And various other things that i can't remember.

The guys are all Christian, and that is also taken into account in their decision as a benefit, but is not required, and not enforced.

[quote name='JimmieMac']But this post was a gem, good think you let us all know you were reading and then posting, but with a useless nothing post.[/QUOTE]

This comming from you of all people?:rofl:

[quote name='Theenternal']It depends on your what you mean by rightousness... They only choose people who they have known and been around for a decent amount of time.

So people that are, or who appear clean, but they will test if they see reason to.. like above scenero.

They must go looking for a job each day and will be checked on a regular basis through their employer.

The guys are all Christian, and that is also taken into account in their decision as a benefit, but is not required, and not enforced.[/QUOTE]

Oh, well i guess its all good. Glad someone is looking out for the homeless tho, keep up the good work :D

[quote name='Theenternal']It depends on your what you mean by rightousness... They only choose people who they have known and been around for a decent amount of time.

The guys are all Christian, and that is also taken into account in their decision as a benefit, but is not required, and not enforced.[/QUOTE]

Phew! I'm glad I'm an athiest, I wouldn't want these christian boys bugging me if I was homeless!

[quote name='gizmogc']Is this even legal? I mean, I'm sure it is, he is an adult, but still....[/QUOTE]

them having him stay legal?

He was staying at a local shelter here in town for awhile, and they recommended him to the council.

imo he shows potential, but shows obvious signs of how this life has affected him. He dropped out of HS at 15, and does need a significant amount of work in math... he plays a lot of videogames, so he at least reads well.

[quote name='gizmogc']Phew! I'm glad I'm an athiest, I wouldn't want these christian boys bugging me if I was homeless![/QUOTE]

you shouldnt say it like that... they don't preach their values, its just there if he wants to go down that path. im sure if you were homless you could handle that... being aethist should have nothing to do with it. Does it matter what other people believe if they are not bothering you? ;)

[quote name='Theenternal']you shouldnt say it like that... they don't preach their values, its just there if he wants to go down that path. im sure if you were homless you could handle that... being aethist should have nothing to do with it. Does it matter what other people believe if they are not bothering you? ;)[/QUOTE]

A bunch of college kids grabbing homeless people off the street...yeah, that WOULD scare me!

I've worked at halfway houses and youth shelters, and basically I've never had a problem asking residents in the program and expecting an honest reply.

Show respect, get respect.

And FYI: halfway houses and youth shelters really do work, I have several friends who pulled their shit together, found Christ (I'm an atheist), or reconciled with family members when provided with a few nights in a clean place and another person who gives a shit.

[quote name='zionoverfire']The problem with red eye tests is that other things such as severe lack of sleep can be a factor.[/QUOTE]

exactly, i have red eyes all the time, but not from weed, when u rub your eyes they get red, alot of things can make your eyes red besides weed, not the best test

[quote name='gizmogc']A bunch of college kids grabbing homeless people off the street...yeah, that WOULD scare me![/QUOTE]

:lol: well, they are not really homelessnapping people.

its an intresting place to help out... ive read a lot while at work on the subject...but from my personal experience I see about 90% of the people there because of their substance abuse/ignorance. 5% crazy needing professional care. and the last 5% there for a few bad choices or rough luck.

[quote name='brainstorm']exactly, i have red eyes all the time, but not from weed, when u rub your eyes they get red, alot of things can make your eyes red besides weed, not the best test[/QUOTE]

I understand, but given the situation of him coming off the street, having a rough past, disappearing during activities, and suddenly reappearing with bloodshot eyes and acting quiet gives a different situation and outside opinions than people like you and I

gizmogc

You sould like like a person of separation. Homeless people aint no different then the rest of us, only thing they living on the streets and might not have money, might be drunk at times, but if you get in a position to help someone, do so. I wouldnt cast them out, because if you needed help, you wouldnt want someone to cast you out, unless you dont care and i am pretty sure alot of people on the streets care.

Life is hard because of man, but some men can change it for the better.

Peace.....

[quote name='gizmogc']A bunch of college kids grabbing homeless people off the street...yeah, that WOULD scare me![/QUOTE]
I really dont know what you have against this. They're doing good work.

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']gizmogc

You sould like like a person of separation. Homeless people aint no different then the rest of us, only thing they living on the streets and might not have money, might be drunk at times, but if you get in a position to help someone, do so. I wouldnt cast them out, because if you needed help, you wouldnt want someone to cast you out, unless you dont care and i am pretty sure alot of people on the streets care.

Peace.....[/QUOTE]

Was that from Genesis or Proverbs?
Sorry, I just get sick and tired of seeing the homeless stereotype knocking on my window begging for money (not food, just money) nearly everyday at work. Offer then food, and they throw it away. They need you're hard earned moey so they can buy alcohol and smokes.

[quote name='Theenternal']I understand, but given the situation of him coming off the street, having a rough past, disappearing during activities, and suddenly reappearing with bloodshot eyes and acting quiet gives a different situation and outside opinions than people like you and I[/QUOTE]

Agreed, other factors would tend u to believe drug use, but dont use the bloodshot eye test as your end all for tests is all im saying, but u prob know this already :)

btw props to u and you friends for doing such a great thing for the community, i didnt see too many people giving u respect for that

[quote name='U2K Tha Greate$t']gizmogc

Peace.....[/QUOTE]

I used to know a formerly homeless kid. His father was abusive and at 15 or 16 (can't remember) he ran away to live with a friend, then his friends family said he couldn't stay after a few weeks and told him to go back home. He didn't and ended up on and off the street for the next two years (spent some time in shelters too). He said he was working some of the time (believable since 25% of homeless are employed), but an issue he had finding work was that he usually had no address or phone number to give his employees. He got lucky though, he met his fiance through his job and eventually moved in with her family, who were helping him pay for college (where I met him). I'm not sure if he was in school during that time, or if he got a GED.

[quote name='gizmogc']Was that from Genesis or Proverbs?
Sorry, I just get sick and tired of seeing the homeless stereotype knocking on my window begging for money (not food, just money) nearly everyday at work. Offer then food, and they throw it away. They need you're hard earned moey so they can buy alcohol and smokes.[/QUOTE]

Those are the addicts, some of them only became addicts after losing everything though. The problem is the loudest people, the ones who make their presence known, are often drunk or high. Many aren't like that though. Also, a significant percentage of homeless are mentally ill.

[quote name='brainstorm']Agreed, other factors would tend u to believe drug use, but dont use the bloodshot eye test as your end all for tests is all im saying, but u prob know this already :)

btw props to u and you friends for doing such a great thing for the community, i didnt see too many people giving u respect for that[/QUOTE]

Thanks I appreciate it.. I actually really find it fun and enjoyable.

There is a low success rate on the whole scheme of things...as the 20-25% success rate for the guys running the house is after choose their best options of among the 50-100 regulars that we see. Gainesville actually has a very high population of homeless.

I never give money, and am very knowledgeable in all the various tales of "I just need fitty cents because"

However, I also get to see various things as the effects of very obese people who do not bath or have not worn a bra in 30 years.. dental features are not the best either.

Im not the most well behaved though, the crazy homeless are constantly making me laugh by the things they say.

There is this lady who talks about crazy things at the speed nearing the "micro machine" guy and in a semi ebonics kind of way. Whenever I hear her, I burst out laughing and have to leave the area. Last week she was talking about having problems pooping. My friend told her to drink more water.....while laughing I told her to massage her belly in a motion that would move the poop along her intestines...which may not be the best responses or advice.

All in all its a lot of fun, there are about 30 regular college students who come, and most of us have become real good friends.. The best things in hanging out with people like this, is that they are really dependable, and are just as giving in their friendships as they are at the council.

Wow nothing spells "im ready for success and to get my life back on track" like smoking pot. How the hell is he going to improve his life if hes stuck on weed? How many other guys would jump at the chance to turn their life around and this stupid kid is wasting thier time.

alonzomourning23..exactly the address/phone requirements are hard to meet for the homeless.

Also I believe the offical stats are about 90% of the fund for the homeless are used by the ones who are considered in the addict/lazy category.. the government considers 3% of the people to be actually lazy and or "too full of pride" to take a low paying job. That added with the addicts, they rate the 90% being used up by the "bad" 30% of homeless.

[quote name='Tromack']Um...you have no clue what you are talking about.

The red eyes are obviously caused because marijuana causes the blood vessels to dilate, and the most sensitive and visible blood vessels happen to be in your eyes. They have nothing to do with how high you are. Someone could smoke, use eyedrops that 'get the red out' and be high and have no red eyes.

Anyway, red eyes are not a good way at all to tell if someone has been smoking. Red eyes combined with a stupid facial expression? Perhaps.[/QUOTE]

yea, but red eyes happen when you are stoned and when you become unstoned they aren't red. I was just talking about the brain because you technically don't get unstoned until the THC stored in or on your cells has been removed (week to a month).

you should give up on trying to rehab someone... they will do it if they want to, and after all, quiting is for loosers, if your a man you can stay on the horse and ride it out...lol

you cant fix what is broken, and when you do you put yourself in harms way (not physical harm, however im sure you get attatched to these bums) you should just focus on making your life better by getting with hot girls, and sports cars, and the biggest video game rig you can muster up... ladies love sony grand wega XBR tv's

also, moving out of your parents house does wonders for GROWING UP when you have to foot over $1200 a month for your regular bills.... let little jonnie have a taste of that...

does he watch MTV? doesnt he know you cant be a "big ballah" by being a drug dumpster yet???

I think this is a great thing you guys are doing. There needs to be more people like you guys in the country. Judging someone by their eyes isn't a good test at all though.

I have to agree with making sure these guys are not on drugs. I have nothing against any type of drug. I say you should be able to do anything you want with your body as long as you’re not hurting anyone else. But, in this case these guys are trying to get them back on track and I wouldn't feel too motivated to help someone getting stoned. They need to be putting themselves into it as well. Once you can take care of yourself, get stoned and drunk all you want without the whining.

This is a wonderful thing your doing and I wish you and your friends the best of luck. Once you get into the lowest rung of society it can be almost impossible to get out. There are so many obstacles to raising yourself out of that life that most can't handle it and give up. Just look at what people are saying in this thread (drug problem, lack of address, apathy of people who don't know what its like). I think the overall feeling of hopelessness is probably the worst and hardest thing to overcome. Sometimes its good simply to know someone cares and is trying to help.

As for the OP, I think bloodshot eyes goes away after a hour or two. I don't believe it lasts for all that long. I would suggest, if this person is risking this opportunity by smoking weed in secret, that you confront him about it. Tell him that the most important step is he needs to be willing to try to improve his life first. If he doesn't care about anything then there isn't a thing in the world anyone can do to help him. He was obviously picked for a reason and now you can't let him squander this chance. I hope for the best for him and your organization.

bread's done
Back