Okami for the Wii or PS2 $20 from Amazon w/FSSS

Just change the "Amazon w/free shipping" part to:

"Amazon w/FSSS". We all know what that means by now.

(Free Super Saver Shipping for the 2 people that don't)

highly recommend the Wii version. The brush control is fast and fun whereas the ps2 is slow and painful. Wii version is also more colorful and pleasing to the eye.

[quote name='rumblebear']highly recommend the Wii version. The brush control is fast and fun whereas the ps2 is slow and painful. Wii version is also more colorful and pleasing to the eye.[/QUOTE] I've heard several people say the PS2 one is the way to go. They complain that the Wii controller just isn't accurate enough to catch some vertical & horizontal motions where as they didn't have that problem with the PS2 version.

Wii version supports widescreen and 480p though. Colors look more vibrant too because they toned down the paintbrush-like filter. Some people liked the filter, but I think the Wii version just looks better.

[quote name='Thrinn']I've heard several people say the PS2 one is the way to go. They complain that the Wii controller just isn't accurate enough to catch some vertical & horizontal motions where as they didn't have that problem with the PS2 version.[/QUOTE]

Can't you like hold the Z Button or something to make a straight line? I heard that somewhere but not sure if it's true..

[quote name='1Sail0r']Can't you like hold the Z Button or something to make a straight line? I heard that somewhere but not sure if it's true..[/QUOTE]

yes that's correct. Most of the complainers don't know that.

and if you draw really fast you shouldn't have any trouble with straight lines

wii's version does in fact have a missing ending. btw, although the wii version has a bit more contrast, they're are drastically the same thing visually. get the ps2 version imo.

Been looking for this on the Wii.. Just saw this on Amazon couple days ago, was going to post but you beat me to it. This seems to be the cheapest you can find if you can find a filler for FSSS. No tax and free shipping.. love Amazon mang!

Bought this for wii when it cost 40 bucks, and was absolutely worth it. If you have either of the systems you should buy this game. Was unaware of the missing wii ending, that kind of sucks, but the controls were never a problem for me.

[quote name='humidore']In for one (PS2), plus The Club ($9.xx) for 360 to get that free shipping. Thanks.[/QUOTE] I didn't know The Club was $10 on amazon. Thanks.

Get the Wii version, it's much faster and you'll want to use brush strokes more often b/c it isn't as slow as the PS2 version. The motion controls take some getting used to but it's worth it in the end.

[quote name='1Sail0r']Can't you like hold the Z Button or something to make a straight line? I heard that somewhere but not sure if it's true..[/quote]

Straight lines wasn't the problem. The problem was brush strokes like making a circle around a tree was easy in the PS2 version but a lot harder in the wii version.

Also some of the moves were harder to do in the wii version because they require you to wave your wii remote instead of pushing a button. But on the flip side some of the brush strokes were easier to do on the wii so you could just use your brush attacks more.

I prefer the ps2 version. I think it looks better and controls better but other people probably like the wii version for the same reason.

Yeah, it's not really the ending that's missing, but rather the original credits. Which I believe had some graphical stuff, though.

The thing about the Wii version is... it was ported by a third-party company who wasn't given access to the original assets. So everything you see was recreated by that company. Kinda weird.

I'm happier with my PS2 version and have no plans of "upgrading" to the botched Wii version.

[quote name='simpleblur']Is Amazon selling the black label or GH box?[/QUOTE]
The 'Greatest Hits' version. I doubt if there are any brand new black label copies still out there.

Wii version looks cleaner. PS2 version looks more artsy fartsy. I personally would go with the PS2 version though. The controls for Wii is really weird, you'll be swinging your remote to attack and stuff which feels really gimmicky and just weird. The brush thing works okay'ish I guess for Wii. You'll be drawing not just straight lines but also lots of circles and just patterns in general and even though it should work perfectly with the Wii, it doesn't. The motion controls become too accurate and unless you have really steady hands you'll be frustrated a lot. It'll grow on you though but I would definitately prefer PS2 version.

I should say that I only finished the PS2 version (spent good 40 quality hours) and tried the Wii version for maybe only 30min to an hour as I couldn't stand the controls. It feels just like any other Wii game that tries to take advantage of the motion sensing and it comes off as gimmicky. Maybe I'm just a bit too much used to buttons but it was a lot more enjoyable to me on the PS2.

Out of the two hours of playing Okami on my PS2...I'd say I had about 4 hours of fun.

It was a blast and well worth the $20 I spent, four months ago. Thanks OP for the information, $20 is a decent price.

[quote name='Vegan']The thing about the Wii version is... it was ported by a third-party company who wasn't given access to the original assets. So everything you see was recreated by that company. Kinda weird.[/quote]

Really? I don't believe that. You're saying that some other company basically remade the whole game. No way.

Last edited by a moderator:
This game is good, but I got tired of trying to beat the bosses before I could move on, quess I didn't have the right weapons etc.. but for those that know what they are doing, it is a good game

[quote name='ricoraney']The 'Greatest Hits' version. I doubt if there are any brand new black label copies still out there.[/quote]

Thanks, Amazon should change the picture to reflect the box art and the only black labels I've seen are GS gutted "new."

[quote name='chinster']I heard Okami was a solid game so I just picked one up from Amazon. Looked like a good deal to me.[/QUOTE]

You heard the game was solid? Dude, seriously? Get off your butt and get the game. Best adventure game in years.

Oh, and the PS2 version has been $20 for awhile. Also, most reviews recommend the PS2 version over the Wii port (surprise, surprise).

[quote name='PrarieD0G']Really? I don't believe that. You're saying that some other company basically remade the whole game. No way.[/QUOTE]

they didn't remake it from the ground up, but they only had access to whatever resources the original team had left @ their old offices...they could only salvage parts of the code/art/etc.

Explains Svensson: "The first drop of assets we got from Japan were incomplete. Very incomplete. So we had to ping the powers that be to go prodding through old hard drives and old computers to see if the assets could be located anywhere. We got a second asset drop, which got us most of the missing stuff back, but there were still a few bits missing. The Ready at Dawn team really kept trudging ahead even when stuff was missing. Even after the second asset drop, they still had to create stuff from scratch." Clover Studio also developed Okami very specifically for PS2, streamlining code to take advantage of the system's capabilities. Wii, of course, was an altogether different beast requiring a very different approach. Even as Capcom officially announced to the delight of fans that a Wii version of Okami was underway, these issues persisted behind the scenes. "There was some PS2-specific code that had to be rewritten and optimized for the Wii and part of the reason we didn't show it until we started showing it was because, if we showed it in a form that was anything less than near-perfect, people were going to freak out," said Svensson. "Earlier in development, because Ready at Dawn had redone a lot of the code as general C code, the game was running in very un-optimized form. As they did more and more optimizations, the framerate got higher and we were able to add 480p and widescreen."

Okay, so not all of it. But still, half-assed. That's a lot to throw out of a perfectly good PS2 version just for some hand-cramping motion controls. The Wii version did not need to exist.

[quote name='Vegan']Okay, so not all of it. But still, half-assed. That's a lot to throw out of a perfectly good PS2 version just for some hand-cramping motion controls. The Wii version did not need to exist.[/QUOTE] From a critical standpoint, you're right. However, the game did not move units like it needed to on the PS2, so the Wii version was an attempt to reach Capcom's sales targets. Same thing happened with Virtua Fighter 5 going to the 360 as it just didn't sell enough on the PS3. I've heard that the Wiimake of RE4 sold really well though even though it was the 2nd time the game had been ported.

i'm about halfway through right now (PS2 version) and I don't' understand where all of the hype is coming from. Sure it's artistic. But honestly for me it just doesn't live up to all the hype.

Personally between the two, I think I'd rather have the Wii version as I find the PS2 brushstrokes to be tempermental at times. I plan to finish it and trade it in as I don't ever see myself going back once completed.

also another con with the ps2 version is the unskippable dialog text bubbles accompanied by your partner's god awful annoying high pitched voice substitute sounds. They literally drag on forever and do little for the game's story, and worse is that it totally crippled the game's pacing. The Wii version is thankfully skippable. I think when first starting the ps2 version I actually had to sit through 20+ minutes of those text bubbles before I could play, and they're littered throughout the entire game.

And yes I played and beat both the ps2 (first) and wii version. The Wii version is tons more enjoyable and IMO far better than zelda twlight princess. The PS2 version is far behind due to many of its nuances.

I liked the PS2 version, but regardless of platform, great game.

The original developer (Clover) was shut down before the Wii port was done by another dev (Ready at Dawn). Wikipedia has all the details.

[quote name='daminion']i'm about halfway through right now (PS2 version) and I don't' understand where all of the hype is coming from. Sure it's artistic. But honestly for me it just doesn't live up to all the hype.

Personally between the two, I think I'd rather have the Wii version as I find the PS2 brushstrokes to be tempermental at times. I plan to finish it and trade it in as I don't ever see myself going back once completed.[/quote]

It's really not a perfect game, just a good Zelda substitute for Playstation owners. It drags on waaaay too long, for one thing.

I just bought the Wii edition now. However, I see that it says that it "Usually ships in 1 to 2 months." I also bought No More Heroes, and I would would prefer to not have to wait two months to receive both games.

Any one else order Okami recently and get a shipping confirmation? Thanks.

bread's done
Back