Okay CAG I need your help - 360 with 3 RED LIGHTS! FIXED!

kevzik

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
So I am browsing craiglists and see this listing for a broken 360, 3 red lights blah blah. Guy was asking 50, I offered 40 and he accepted. I got the console, power brick, and a GOW faceplate (Woo!) Anyway, I already on a functional 360, but figured I should pick this up and try an bring it back to life, I mean, a working 360 for 40 would be sweet. With that being said...

I am first going to try this towel trick that I have been reading about. If that doesn't work then its on to calling microsoft. Now here is where I need your help CAG. Is it true that M$ will fix 360s made in 05 for free? This on was made on 10-26-05. I am hoping I can send it in and get it fixed for free even with the expired warrenty. I was reading somewhere that all 05 batch 360 are eligible for a free fix.

If worst comes to worst, I simply have a spare 360 for parts or even ebaying it would be a possibility...Some broken auctions ended at 70+ and then I also have to power brick that could fetch another 20.

Anyway, just wanted some input from you guys here. I appreciatate it all and lets hope this towel idea works. I'll post my experience later.

Edit:

HAHA, the towel trick worked! Took 2 tries. After the 2nd try all the red lights lit up, I then went to the phone to just call M$, hours were closed so I then decided to try turning it on again and sure enough, no more red lights!

I just got a working 360 (for now) for 40 bucks! Wooo!

[quote name='kevzik']So, now what should I do? Keep it?[/QUOTE]

duh a used 360 for 40 bucks....man thats a great deal.

[quote name='kevzik']So, now what should I do? Keep it?[/QUOTE]

If you're interested in selling it cheap, I'd be willing to give you a nice return on the 40$ you spent. Let me know!

[quote name='OGHowie']Damn, makes me want to buy a dead one off of eBay now.[/quote]
Lol, I was thinking the same thing...Then again, its a big gamble. How would you know if the seller already tried the towel trick and was unsuccessful.

Edit...sorry, I misunderstood the above poster. When you said return I thought you simply ment 40 bucks...I'll let you know if I decided to sell.

[quote name='kevzik']Lol, I was thinking the same thing...Then again, its a big gamble. How would you know if the seller already tried the towel trick and was unsuccessful.

And to the one above who offered 40...I just spent 40 on it dude and fixed it...why would I just turn around sell it for 40 to break even? I suggest you try to find a "broken" one and do what I did![/QUOTE]

Worst comes to worst you could have easily made your money back on the powerbrick alone.

[quote name='Logain8955']WTH is the Towel Trick?[/QUOTE]
Wrap the 360 in a towel and turn it on. For some reason it'll actually fix the red lights some of the time. Like I said, I can't figure out how or why it works though.

[quote name='kevzik']Lol, I was thinking the same thing...Then again, its a big gamble. How would you know if the seller already tried the towel trick and was unsuccessful.

Edit...sorry, I misunderstood the above poster. When you said return I thought you simply ment 40 bucks...I'll let you know if I decided to sell.[/QUOTE]

Oh, if you're referencing me, I meant that I'll give you well, well over 40$. Sorry for any confusion.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wrap the 360 in a towel and turn it on. For some reason it'll actually fix the red lights some of the time. Like I said, I can't figure out how or why it works though.[/quote]

While I was reading on the topic, a few people mention it remelted the soildering (sp).

[quote name='kevzik']While I was reading on the topic, a few people mention it remelted the soildering (sp).[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's kind of what I'm figuring too but still you've gotta admit that's absolutely unreal that works.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Wrap the 360 in a towel and turn it on. For some reason it'll actually fix the red lights some of the time. Like I said, I can't figure out how or why it works though.[/QUOTE]

I was just looking around online about this, and apparently the 360 has "cold solders" inside; when you heat up the unit such as with a towel (others have apparently used a hairdryer), the parts naturally expand somewhat, and those solder points that aren't making proper connections are able to.

I'm under the impression that you keep having to do it, though. But, a deal's a deal!

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Yeah, that's kind of what I'm figuring too but still you've gotta admit that's absolutely unreal that works.[/quote]

Yeah man, I was shocked. When I was reading up on this, I was expecting something like.."take this screw out, resolder this wire and..." When I saw the towel method. I was like "towels, wah?"

Who knows how long this will last, but w/e.

Kinda feel bad for the dude that let it go all he needed was a couple of towels. Oh well.

Lol a towel. I remember with my old NES the AC adapter wire stopped working after a while, so I would wrap said wire around the adapter itself a few times.

NES would boot up no problem. Same for the SNES.

Cheapness knows no bounds.

I've got to try this towel trick as well then. OP, how much time passed (after booting it up with a towel around it) when the 360 started working again?

[quote name='Ma12kez']I've got to try this towel trick as well then. OP, how much time passed (after booting it up with a towel around it) when the 360 started working again?[/quote]

My whole experience went something like this

- wrapped with 2 towels for about 30 mins, let it cool for 5mins, turn it on, all three lights lit up. Now at this point, my 360 wasn't even that hot same with the towels so I'm thinking the first time didn't work because there was to much air and that towels weren't wrapped tight enough.

- tried again soon after, wrapped both towels better and tighter. I'd say 15-20 mins go by and the 360 automatically turned itself off due to over heating (this is normal when doing the trick). Let it cool down for about 5 mins, turned it on and now I had all 4 red lights going.

I go to the phone to call M$ (at this point I thought the towel thing was a failled effort) M$ hours were closed. I take it back to my room, hook it up for kicks, hit power and begins to work!

[quote name='kevzik']My whole experience went something like this

- wrapped with 2 towels for about 30 mins, let it cool for 5mins, turn it on, all three lights lit up. Now at this point, my 360 wasn't even that hot same with the towels so I'm thinking the first time didn't work because there was to much air and that towels weren't wrapped tight enough.

- tried again soon after, wrapped both towels better and tighter. I'd say 15-20 mins go by and the 360 automatically turned itself off due to over heating (this is normal when doing the trick). Let it cool down for about 5 mins, turned it on and now I had all 4 red lights going.

I go to the phone to call M$ (at this point I thought the towel thing was a failled effort) M$ hours were closed. I take it back to my room, hook it up for kicks, hit power and begins to work![/quote]Oh man lol, thanks it actually worked! It's unbelievable. The only problem is that the 360 freezes periodically, but I guess it's better than nothing. I did what you did for 30 min and let it cool off for 30 min; afterwards the red lights were gone. I'll most likely end up using my BB PRP for the updated 360.

Thanks again for bringing my attention to this "towel trick.":applause: I'll let you guys know how long this will actually last for.

bread's done
Back