Okay, what do I do now??

The Cheapest Ass Gamer

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
A couple of weeks ago, my Xbox started being an asshole and not reading some of my new games. It, of course, has one of the old Thompson drives. I called Microsoft twice about the issue and they refuse to fix it for free (it'll cost $79, I'm told). So I send a long rant to their email support essentially demanding free repair/replacement:

On July 1, 2005, I purchased an Xbox game, Rainbow Six 3, brand new and factory sealed at Circuit City. I loaded the game disc into my Xbox console *serial X* and powered it up, only to receive the following message instead of the game’s title screen: “Your Xbox can't recognize this disk. Make sure it's an Xbox game, DVD movie, or audio CD. Also check to see if the disk is dirty or damaged. Remove the disk to continue.” I rebooted the console several times, inspected the disc for damage *the disc is in pristine condition as it was when I purchased it brand new*. I immediately called 800*4MY*XBOX for assistance. The unidentified representative issued a series of troubleshooting instructions *delete obsolete game files, test other games, etc.*. These steps failed, and Rainbow Six 3 was still not playing, even though all of my other games worked. The representative ended the call by issuing a ticket number *196207697* and suggesting that I attempt to play the game on another console and call back if my console was in error.

On July 5, 2005, I was able to test the game on a friend’s Xbox console *my friend had the same problem months ago with his games and was told that a repair would cost $79, so he decided that purchasing a brand new system would be a better investment*. The game booted with no problem. I called 800*4MY*XBOX again and spoke with representative Christian. After explaining the problem and giving Christian my ticket number, he again took me through the process *an elongated process since he had a habit of asking the same questions repeatedly*. In the end, Christian informed me that it would cost upwards of $79 to fix my console *it’s an “out*of*warranty repair,” I was told* and gave me the details. I told him I was unable to afford it at the moment and we ended the call.

Here’s my problem. As I am sure you are exceedingly aware, Microsoft has manufactured Xbox consoles using several brands of optical drives *Thompson, Samsung, Philips, etc.*. One of these, the infamous Thompson optical drive, has a reputation of dying early in a console’s life. I have a Thompson drive *as seems to be the case with older consoles*. I have taken incredible care of my console and games, and my console is exhibiting the signs of a faulty Thompson drive. I have done absolutely nothing to induce the early death of my console. Essentially, because I chose to offer my support to Microsoft relatively early, I was stuck with a Thompson drive, and the punishment of my early support is a $79 repair bill. I have been a loyal Microsoft customer, purchasing dozens of games, subscribing to the official Xbox magazine, and more for the past few years. I feel that it is unethical, unwise, and wrong for Microsoft to force me to pay for its irresponsibility with early consoles. Therefore, I am requesting that Microsoft either foot the repair bill for this incident or provide me with a new Xbox. The consequences of Microsoft’s unwillingness to pay for its own mistakes are lost customers *myself included*, damage to reputation, and class*action lawsuits. I certainly do not wish this onto a manufacturer of superior consoles. Thus, I think it to be mutually beneficial for Microsoft to reimburse customers in my case and in similar cases. If this happens, you can count on my continued support for Xbox products.

I can be reached by email *[email protected]*, telephone *xxx*xxx*xxxx*, and postal mail *x* Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Ben

Pretentious and wordy, huh? Anyway, I thought that the rep I talked to was just a dumbass since a lot of people have recently gotten their Xboxes fixed for free. Maybe if I sent an email, someone who knows what they're doing would respond and fix it for free. Wrong. Here's what they sent:

Hello Ben,

Thank you for writing to Xbox regarding your console's disc reading issue.

We apologize for the delay in addressing your concern. If your concern has been addressed, please disregard this email.

Please be assured, though, that there is no systemic issue related to any one brand of component. Reports vary and we handle each of them on a case-by-case basis. Every customer's satisfaction is of the utmost importance to us and if gamers are having trouble playing their Xboxes because of a reported disk drive issue, or any issue, we will do our best to either troubleshoot it over the phone, or have them send the console to us for additional diagnosis and repair.

We understand your concern about your issue, and we are sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with the repair offerings we have provided. The best way to have complicated matters such as a repairs and warranties resolved is to work directly through phone support. As you indicate in your e-mail, you have already spoken with phone support about your concerns and phone support provided you with all of the options for repairing your Xbox. While we are concerned that you are not satisfied with the results of the conversation, we stand behind what phone support offers to resolve your repair issue.

We do track and report all complaints, and we will note that you are not satisfied with the service offerings we have provided. All feedback is taken into account in determining our service offerings. Should you change your mind and accept the offering provided by phone support, do not hesitate to call (1-800-4MYXBOX (1-800-469-9269) (Phone support hours are from 9:00am - 1:00am EST, 7 days a week. This call is toll-free in North America)) and they will work with you to set up a repair and get your Xbox up and running again.

Also, if you have not heard about the Microsoft Power Cord Replacement Program, please visit www.xbox.com and look for the “Power Cord Replacement for Xbox” link.

In case you have other Xbox concerns, feel free to write back. We take feedback on Xbox and our Customer Service very seriously and review customer comments daily.

Sincerely,

Ryan
Xbox Customer Care Team

Essentially, they completely deny that the Thompson drives are shoddy, and because Xboxes get messed up for various reasons, I have to pay for it. What can I do now? Should I call back and tell them that it's become more defective and won't play anything now? I wanna play my $9.99 Rainbow Six 3 dammit! Any help is appreciated.

The best solution would be to start a class action suit, you could probably fund an ambulance chaser who would fight the case for free in exchance for publicity, and then Microsoft would have to replace the drives for free.

disagree^^^ the best solution would be to buy a samsung or phillips drive(just the drive) and replace your thomson drive)

i have at least heard of people having success doing this, tho i have no idea where to get a drive,

[quote name='dracula']disagree^^^ the best solution would be to buy a samsung or phillips drive(just the drive) and replace your thomson drive)

i have at least heard of people having success doing this, tho i have no idea where to get a drive,[/QUOTE]

That's cool. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap drive? I'm looking at about 40 bucks for a used Philips or 60 for a brand new Samsung on eBay (which almost makes the 79 bucks feel worthwhile since they warrant it for 2 years). I don't suppose I could buy a new Philips or Samsung laser only (which is a lot cheaper) and put it on a Thompson drive, could I?

One more question, kayden suggested that the Xbox might use a standard IDE drive. Is this true? Can I just buy any DVD ROM drive and put it in?

Thanks to klwillis for the llamma.com link, I'll try to clean the drive (already used a cleaning disc, this needs the intensive cleaning) sometime soon

Oh, and if all else fails, I don't think I'll be filing a lawsuit, hehe, but the good old state Attorney General might help me out...

[quote name='The Cheapest Ass Gamer']That's cool. Does anyone know where I can find a cheap drive? I'm looking at about 40 bucks for a used Philips or 60 for a brand new Samsung on eBay (which almost makes the 79 bucks feel worthwhile since they warrant it for 2 years). I don't suppose I could buy a new Philips or Samsung laser only (which is a lot cheaper) and put it on a Thompson drive, could I?

One more question, kayden suggested that the Xbox might use a standard IDE drive. Is this true? Can I just buy any DVD ROM drive and put it in?

Thanks to klwillis for the llamma.com link, I'll try to clean the drive (already used a cleaning disc, this needs the intensive cleaning) sometime soon

Oh, and if all else fails, I don't think I'll be filing a lawsuit, hehe, but the good old state Attorney General might help me out...[/QUOTE]

They don't warranty it for 2 years, they warranty it for 1 after they've fixed it.

Buy an xbox from somewhere u can return it and take out the cd drive, put the old one back in the new xbox and return it.

[quote name='mtimisone']Buy an xbox from somewhere u can return it and take out the cd drive, put the old one back in the new xbox and return it.[/QUOTE]
"And this, my children, was the fateful day that mtimisone learned the importance of asbestos undergarments."

Why in the hell do so many CAGers think it is okay that when you have a broken product, you buy a new one, replace it with your broken one, and then return it?

I've seen this suggested at least 3-4 times in various threads, and everytime I point it out, people bitch like it's something legal to do.

[quote name='Strell']Why in the hell do so many CAGers think it is okay that when you have a broken product, you buy a new one, replace it with your broken one, and then return it?

I've seen this suggested at least 3-4 times in various threads, and everytime I point it out, people bitch like it's something legal to do.[/QUOTE]
They don't. If you notice, no one is supporting the idea (and I expect some heavy flames in the near future).

[quote name='Kayden']Doesn't the xbox use a normal ide drive?[/QUOTE]

No it does not. Well, sort of. It uses a standard drive but with propriatary firmware (so it can read/play Xbox games)

You can test it by sticking an xbox game in a regular DVD rom drive in your PC and see what you can see.

I believe that if you open up your Xbox to replace the laser drive you'll have to break the decal seal, thus showing that the system has been opened. Most stores won't honor the warranty and/or replace your malfunctioning/broken system if they notice that you've tampered with its internals.

[quote name='Strell']Why in the hell do so many CAGers think it is okay that when you have a broken product, you buy a new one, replace it with your broken one, and then return it?

I've seen this suggested at least 3-4 times in various threads, and everytime I point it out, people bitch like it's something legal to do.[/QUOTE]

Dont let a few bad apples make you feel the whole bunch is spoiled.

(something I find myself needing to do more and more here these days.)

[quote name='supadupacheap']No it does not. Well, sort of. It uses a standard drive but with propriatary firmware (so it can read/play Xbox games)

You can test it by sticking an xbox game in a regular DVD rom drive in your PC and see what you can see.[/QUOTE]

If thats the case, I'm sure you could find a firmware to flash somewhere....

[quote name='Kayden']If thats the case, I'm sure you could find a firmware to flash somewhere....[/QUOTE]

Less we not forget the Bios check as well my friend. Im sure theres something identifing the drive type.

Also, where you gonna get proper drivers for the Dvd Rom? Aint no win XP database on there

[quote name='supadupacheap']Less we not forget the Bios check as well my friend.[/QUOTE]
I don't know how the little fucker works, I just know I want to go home and play on it.

[quote name='Kayden']I don't know how the little fucker works, I just know I want to go home and play on it.[/QUOTE]

Its more trouble than its worth to try and get a non xbox dvd rom working on an xbox. Its a geeky challenge, nothing more.

It's not. Never is.

As we've seen above, breaking the seal will show that it's been opened, and he's stuck with two Xboxes.

Not to mention that just swapping out the old Xbox into the new one's box will fail the serial number check, either on the receipt or on the box itself.

Best course of action? Call Microsoft and pay the $79.

Paying M$ the $79 may be all you can do at this point. I recall reading that M$ will not lower the price of the Xbox further but simply stop producing it and sell out completely to begin focusing on the 360. If you plan on getting a 360 you might wait and see if Rainbow Six is backwards compatible. Getting a used one is an option but it may be in worse shape than yours (you said you took good care of your xbox). I had the disc read error problem on my PS2 and got it fixed by Sony for free. I don't think Sony fixed it out of the kindness of their hearts but because of a lawsuit. I think that is what it would take for M$ to do the same. Just out of curiosity you did try cleaning the laser and everything right?

[quote name='shrike4242']It's not. Never is.

As we've seen above, breaking the seal will show that it's been opened, and he's stuck with two Xboxes.

Not to mention that just swapping out the old Xbox into the new one's box will fail the serial number check, either on the receipt or on the box itself.

Best course of action? Call Microsoft and pay the $79.[/QUOTE]

It wouldn't fail the serial check because hes talking about swaping the optical drives. It would be the same unit he bought there, just with a shitty dvd in it.

Microsoft doesn't have to repair your drive for free, It is past warranty, and besides; you bought an Xbox, what kind of quality did you expect?...

to scape the label of and put it back on like its never been open, also i heard using a heir dry to heat the label and peel it off works too.
Nothing wrong with this, u can open the box carefully and close it and make it look like its never been open.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about broken Gamecube controllers where this "idea" was suggested - buy a new one, put the old one in it, take it back and say "this is broken."

I assume that no retail outlet would be thorough enough to actually check on such practices. Most of them just take the box back and say "ok fill this out and you're done here."

It's just sad that people 1) think it's okay and 2) broadcast it repeatedly.

Stuff breaks, people. Warranties can only do so much because companies don't want to lose profit on replacements. That's how business works. It sucks and I don't like it either, but that's the damn bottom line. I hate people saying shit like "WAHH WAHH THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME!" It happens to everyone. So don't be a fucking baby about it and just take it as best you can and pay the $79.

How about MS, owning up that there early drives break. Then maybe i wouldnt say switch the drives. Same thing happen to me, i ended up buying a new xbox, cause my hd went to. Its so unfair to have to buy the same thing twice, 79.99 becomes, 100 with shipping, So if u pay that u end up pay 400 dollars for xbox, when everyone else has pay 299. MS, should just send him a new drive, just for the cost of shipping.

Two wrongs dont make a right people.

Wrong #1 - Microsoft installs shoddy parts that fail prematurely

Wrong #2 - You use this to justify defrauding/scamming a company that IN NO WAY had any decision in who microsoft chose to make parts for their xbox.

1 wrong + 1 wrong = 2 wrongs.

Damn, that sucks.

Personally I'd probably either try to fix it myself or buy a new Xbox (maybe a used one.) If you have to pay shipping on top of that $80 repair fee, it's hardly worth it really. Although I checked that llama site and it looks like you'd have to pay more than MS's $80 repair fee for a new drive anyway, unless you wanted to go with a Thompson again.

Or I'd buy one of the other systems and sell off my Xbox games.

[quote name='Kayden']It wouldn't fail the serial check because hes talking about swaping the optical drives. It would be the same unit he bought there, just with a shitty dvd in it.[/QUOTE]

You'd either swap the drive and show it's been opened or swap the unit completely and it would fail the SN check.

Either way would fix the problem. Wrongly, though it would fix it.

[quote name='mtimisone']How about MS, owning up that there early drives break. Then maybe i wouldnt say switch the drives. Same thing happen to me, i ended up buying a new xbox, cause my hd went to. Its so unfair to have to buy the same thing twice, 79.99 becomes, 100 with shipping, So if u pay that u end up pay 400 dollars for xbox, when everyone else has pay 299. MS, should just send him a new drive, just for the cost of shipping.[/QUOTE]

The $79 included shipping both directions, when I spoke to them about it back in April, when mine was misbehaving.

Have them prove that the early drives break, and I'm sure you could get a free drive out of them. They have no way to just ship out a drive, their repair system doesn't work that way, I also asked them that.

If it's not working and he can't get someone to cover fixing it on their nickel, then he needs to either pay for it to be fixed or buy a new one. None of this deceptive crap.

[quote name='Strell']There was a thread a few weeks ago about broken Gamecube controllers where this "idea" was suggested - buy a new one, put the old one in it, take it back and say "this is broken."

I assume that no retail outlet would be thorough enough to actually check on such practices. Most of them just take the box back and say "ok fill this out and you're done here."

It's just sad that people 1) think it's okay and 2) broadcast it repeatedly.

Stuff breaks, people. Warranties can only do so much because companies don't want to lose profit on replacements. That's how business works. It sucks and I don't like it either, but that's the damn bottom line. I hate people saying shit like "WAHH WAHH THIS ALWAYS HAPPENS TO ME!" It happens to everyone. So don't be a fucking baby about it and just take it as best you can and pay the $79.[/QUOTE]

Yes, what he said. :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

I feel for you, man.
Two days ago I spent over an hour on the phone describing almost exactly what you did to someone there, too. The best I could get was 1/2 of the repair, so it would cost me $40 to send it in and have it repaired. I gave up, though, because I don't have any money.

Didn't think of this earlier, but you should check what broken Xboxes go for on eBay and see what that - $150 (cost of a new Xbox) puts you in relation to the $80 MS would want.

A quick search and it looks like most auctions with 'xbox broken' in the title are going for over $50 + shipping (some as low as $40, but some over $70). Hell sell the broken box and you can get a brand new one for around $100 net I'd imagine.

Or if you really want to dig take a look at what you could get if you broke the box down into its parts.

The best thing you can do in the future is not buy any of Microsofts launch products. The PS2 had DDEs but at least they repaired it for free.

Hi, let me teach everyone something about business that some of you obviously don't understand.

If a company like Microsoft started to send out parts that are vital to their devices - in this case, the Xbox - with the intention of having the users install them themselves,

HOW LONG

do you think it would take for SOMEONE to call MS with a "OMFG I TRIED TO INSTALL THE DRIVE AND I RUINED THE REST OF MY XBOX AND NOW IT WON'T TURN ON AND I WANT A NEW ONE AND YOU GUYS ARE ASSHOLES bla bla bla bla bla bla OMG POPTARTS BBQ bla bla" ?

Do you think MS wants to deal with that sort of customer service nightmare? Of course they don't. (fuck, I work CSR and I sure as hell hate the amount of calls I get now, I can't imagine the poor SOBs at MS having to deal with not just a primary level problem, let alone a tertiary.) They don't want people calling in to bitch about how "this isn't working" and then later about how their stupid non-mechanical self-righteous asses ruined the rest of the system because they thought they were smart enough to know how to open it and replace the drive. I assure you some kid who thinks they are hot shit will get it, break the drive/something inside the Xbox, and then bitch and moan and whine about how they were screwed not once but twice, and how Microsoft is an evil company because they can only do so much damage control. They'll tell their parents, the parents (being unaware because they are clueless) will go in an uproar, and the situation could potentially spiral out of control.

I work tech support and all day I field calls from people saying "I'm a computer tech " this and "I'm Microsoft certified" that, talking about how we should send them parts to fix something that has gone down. But knowing the general (lack of) knowledge people have about all things electronic and mechanical, sending out a part wouldn't resolve the situation. It would amplify it. In fact, what it would do is create a giant cesspool of complaints and angry customers, adding to the already growing general malaise that customers exhibit to begin with.

The phrase "more fuel to the fire" comes to mind.

Do I think there are people capable of repairing units themselves? Of course.

But I doubt the number of capable people versus the people who think they are capable are equal. I think the ratio is 10 to 1. Actually I bet it is 1000 to 1, if not much more.

Faced with those kinds of odds in those kinds of sheer numbers, Microsoft is protecting themselves in the best possible way they can - by offering to fix the unit on their terms. This is why, gasp, it's called THE TERMS OF THE WARRANTY. As long as company offers to resolve a situation in a manner executable by both their own person and the party in question (consumers), i.e., "you send it to us and we fix it and send it back and those are the terms you agreed to when you bought the machine," that's all they really have to do. If the terms say "consumer will pay shipping," then it's something you agreed to when you bought it. That sucks but it's the reality and crux of the situation. Microsoft offers that as their service beacuse it protects them. Why bother taking a risk with clueless morons running around trying to do shit to their Xboxes? Because

THERE'S NO DAMN REASON FOR THEM TO TAKE THAT CHANCE, REGARDLESS OF HOW MANY PEOPLE WHINE ON THE INTARWEB.

The fact is companies won't do something like that in most cases UNLESS they had a tech come onsite and fix it themselves. This is for LIABILITY REASONS. A company has a responsibility to protect itself IN ADDITION to its customers, beleive it or not. They have to protect their assets (heh, no pun intended) - shareholders can't be pissed off, stock can't fall, profits need to expand, and people need to keep jobs. Like it or not they have to survive just as much as you want to play Halo 2.

What that translates to you and me as consumers is a lot of red tape that has to be traversed and dicked around with before we can make them bend to our will. In other words, Microsoft knows it would be suicide to start shipping out parts because an angry consumer is not the best person to be put in charge of sensitive (and expensive) equipment. Dumbshit A complains about his drive, MS sends him a new one, he screws it up even more, and then decides he'll sue MS because they authorized him to repair his unit himself. The guy probably wouldn't win his case, and the best he could hope for would be a time consuming class action law suit. There's the off chance he might be a settlement out of court, but even that is a stretch.

So what would happen, in essense, is a lot of bad press for MS, the possibility of a suit handled in court (which would be international attention...if some kid can register mikerowesoft.com and get sued, you can get something aimed at their prescious Xbox will get FAR more attention), all of which points to a huge PR hassle for MS.

And that's if it goes well.

But Microsoft is smart and knows how to avoid all of this. And that ends up being their own techs doing everything because at least at that point, they know the person doing the repair has the knowledge to know wtf to do.

In addition to all of this, MS, as would any other company, will never own up to some sort of screw up that they've made. This is for a variety of reasons.

1) At the time, they probably don't know what will happen and aren't aware of problems. This is just human nature. I would doubt Microsoft intentionally chose a faulty drive at the beginning of Xbox production. Of course, the switch would explain all of this (Thompson = bad = they go to another MFG). So let's assume they eventually learn there's a problem. That takes us to point 2.

2) Even if they know of it, they'll never admit their mistake. This is for all the reasons I've already stated. Consumers are funny people in that they think that they are entitled to such information. We're not. Well, I take that back. We probably are, but no company is going to live up to that. Hell, our government doesn't tell us shit we probably ought to know regarding all sorts of wild and zany things. What makes you think Microsoft, or anyone for that matter, will do any different? Yea, you can call the FTC and the BBB and other authorities, but just save yourself the time and aggrivation knowing that they won't do shit for you. In the end, what does and can happen is not equal to what probably should happen. That sucks. That sucks and sucks and sucks. But in all reality, we're at the whims of the terms of the warranty. We agreed to their service, their product, and their stipulations. Honestly the best defense against this is an extended warranty from the retailer, but we all know that most of the time those end up being never used/scams. My rule is that if you are relying on some sort of technology OR if you have NO IDEA how to fix it yourself, you better get the added insurance.

Look, here's the deal. It sucks if you buy something and it dies during or after the warranty. And it sucks if everyone sees the same problem, meaning it's a known issue due to shoddy production/manufacturing. Unfortunately, you, as a consumer, agree to the terms set by the company you got the product from the second you hand money over and make it your own personal property. Given all of that and all of the above, the best you can hope for is to get a product that doesn't wear out and lasts and lasts. That's it and nothing more. Does it suck? Yes. But is there really, truly, and honestly anything you can do about it? Not really.

So whats this all boil down to? General rules any consumer can follow.

You can always call ahead and get warranty details. You can find out what X company will do in cases of breakdown for any component or device.

Don't early adopt technology. It's never a good idea. Early iPods apparently had terrible batteries. And early PS2s had DRE issues. DS/PSP have pixel problems. That sort of thing gets fixed after the initial batches and after test runs in the field. We all know it, it's the dirty unsaid rule of all technology and anything new in general. It's the same reason why game developers think they can patch shit after they release it, when they damn well know they should have fixed it before it ever went gold.

Also, I'd suggest everyone (this is just a more general tangent) be educated on what they are dealing with. In other words, when you buy something, you need to know about that product beforehand. Case in point - LCD monitors. Know that since there are literally millions of pixels, companies will not replace a monitor with 1-2 dead pixels since that represents .0001% of the entire total number of pixels. So if you get one with that, tough shit, the company won't do anything. You can go to the retailer and try to get a refund or an exchange. The point to this is that you need to know what you are dealing with in ALL situations.

Again, all of this might suck, and I in NO WAY endorse such things (consumer paying shipping for a repair, known issues not being admitted/fixed, etc) but it's the fact of the matter that this is how industry works. It's just that there are still things you can do to cover your own ass.

Until we live in a society where corporations will actually come out and behave humanely (instead of just functionally appreciable) towards consumers, there's no way to get around the pitfalls that face all industries, products, and failures. There's just no damn way. There's too much business involved, too many factors to consider, and too many things interconnected.

Everyone, at some point or another, will buy something and have it die. Everyone. It is widespread. It's reality. And yes, you're right in thinking that companies could probably do more to fix it. But they won't because that hurts their bottom line. They still, however, are required to help as best they can. If a repair is it, then that's it. The BBB won't listen to a complaint that is unfounded - "MS said they'd fix it for $40." That's enough to satisfy them beacuse the company in question is doing what they agreed to do - get your machine in working order.

Just because you gave money to a company doesn't mean you're all of a sudden their most important customer. You are just a customer like everyone else. And all those other people that own Xboxes that you've never met are operating under the same pretenses and restrictions that you, yourself, are having to adhere to. So stop all of this whiny woe-is-me bullshit and get over yourself.

Again, it all sucks, but it happens to everyone.

So the point of all that is basacially "Don't buy shit at launch".

I know I'm avoiding the Xbox 360 for *at least* a year, because I too got burned on a Thompson drive Xbox.

Actually, i call ms a week ago when my xbox broke, they said i had to pay for shipping it there and the 80 dollars, Do whatever you want, i am just saying what i would do, i was about to do that, but one of the cords connecting the hd to the motherbroad was fried, so i just a new on for a bday present.

Personally I have had two units with Thompson Drives, and both never had any problems. But I know that not everyone has that same luck.

The cheapest way to fix it, go on ebay and buy another Thompson drive, they are pulled because a lot of people want to replace it with the Samsung. It should cost around ~$15 shipped to you, open up the box and swap them out. I have fixed two other boxes for friends this way.

That doesn't sound so bad. I decided to get the $40 somehow to pay them, but I want them to say they'll be at least like a year warranty on it after they fix it. I'll pay for the fucking warranty if I have to.
Also, I am a lucky one in another department. I have a launch PS2 that works like a charm and probably hasn't had over 10 DRE in it's whole life.

God does anybody buy a warranty anymore ?... after M$ $crewed me on my first XB I wised up & bought a direct warranty from them (49.99 + Tax for 2 years) as soon as my 2nd XB started acting up. trick is you cant tell them there's anything wrong with it, yes I know its devious but it got me the warranty , anyway's I waited until I got my paperwork & immediatley called it in, they shipped the return box via UPS, They kept me updated Via E-mail through the whole thing and shipped back via UPS, overall the turnaround period is about 10 days and their customer service is excellent. The peace of mind is priceless I intend on buying one for my 360 as soon as I get home with it, M$ isnt burning me on a 150+ repair bill, God knows how many of those consoles will be faulty...

I'm back...thanks for all the discussion. I thought I'd just wait as long as possible without doing anything and forget about Rainbow Six and enjoy my other games. This morning, I stick my Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath in and it gives me a damn dirty disc error. Later, I'm playing Chronicles of Riddick and it'll load, I walk a couple of feet, and it gives me the loading screen again, over and over. So I call the number back, and talk with a supervisor, and they insist that there's no Thompson drive problem (he said it sounds like my optical drive is going [no shit] and when I asked him about Thompsons he had a story ready about how all DVD drives malfunction and fail after a while, and they stand by their drives).

To the people saying shit happens, pay for it and get over it, I've had this console for a little over a year. I don't transport it all over the place or do anything to mess it up...I've taken good care of all my systems. Never before have I had a system that fails to live 2 years. Hell, even my old front-loading NES lasted a lot longer than that. This is substandard in the industry (which is why Sony repaired their DREs for free). Bottom line, consumers should expect better of a $200 console than a year's use. MS should take responsibility for their faulty console.

Oh, and as for selling a system on eBay and buying a new one, the advantage to getting it repaired by MS is that they warrant it for a year afterward.

Anyway, it looks like I'll have to spend $79 on the repair unless I want to swap drives with a new system, which makes me nervous. It'll be interesting to get the system back and see what brand drive they replace it with...

[quote name='So Play The Violins']I feel for you, man.
Two days ago I spent over an hour on the phone describing almost exactly what you did to someone there, too. The best I could get was 1/2 of the repair, so it would cost me $40 to send it in and have it repaired. I gave up, though, because I don't have any money.[/QUOTE]

How did you get it down to $40?? The people I talked with wouldn't budge.

Thanks again guys for your help.

Find someone on the internet willing to sell you his Xbox with a Samsung drive in it. Then you can use the second Xbox for spare parts, as a media center, emulation, etc.

If you buy a product, and that product is faulty because of a part within the product that is known to be faulty, you have an absolute right, under warranty or not, to have that product repaired completely free of charge.

[quote name='Diiz']/sigh @ the OP...

Everyone thinks they are entitled to everything for free nowadays...[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'm entitled to anything for free. I think I'm entitled to quality for $200.

[quote name='evanft']If you buy a product, and that product is faulty because of a part within the product that is known to be faulty, you have an absolute right, under warranty or not, to have that product repaired completely free of charge.[/QUOTE]

Oh man.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

I think you should just be glad the Xbox doesn't catch on fire and burn your house down.

OH WAIT (yes I know it's a massive exaggeration on my part)

Just go 3 or 4 months without an Xbox... that money you spend repairing / replacing your xbox can just go straight into an Xbox 360. My Xbox died, no hope of it working again, and sure I'd love to play the cheap games I've scored for it, but I know that 150 dollars is pretty much half an Xbox360.... might as well just wait.

This advice is only assuming you have other systems and some games to play on them, though.

I'll still nab Fable: The Lost Chapters and Ninja Gaiden Black, but I guess I'll just wait until November to play them.

[quote name='Roufuss']Just go 3 or 4 months without an Xbox... that money you spend repairing / replacing your xbox can just go straight into an Xbox 360. My Xbox died, no hope of it working again, and sure I'd love to play the cheap games I've scored for it, but I know that 150 dollars is pretty much half an Xbox360.... might as well just wait.

This advice is only assuming you have other systems and some games to play on them, though.

I'll still nab Fable: The Lost Chapters and Ninja Gaiden Black, but I guess I'll just wait until November to play them.[/QUOTE]

True...I have a PS2 and GC to keep me satisfied for a while (I use my PS2 more anyway, and RE4 on GC has me consumed lately). But I really didn't plan on getting a 360 right away anyway. Still, I think you're right that $80 or $150 is too much to spend with a new system coming out to replace Xbox soon...if I can get a Thompson replacement for 20 bucks on eBay, though...

[quote name='Strell']Oh man.

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that.

I think you should just be glad the Xbox doesn't catch on fire and burn your house down.

OH WAIT (yes I know it's a massive exaggeration on my part)[/QUOTE]

I think he's referring to an ethical "right" as opposed to a legal right. And my friend's Xbox was actually a victim of the faulty power cord problem. It malfunctioned and threw sparks. Mine catching on fire isn't really out of the question, lol.

bread's done
Back