OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, the best way to have GS employees like you is to be genuinely nice to them. Go in with a smile, be friendly and don't abuse the system. It has always worked for me.

Guys, the best way to have GS employees like you is to be genuinely nice to them. Go in with a smile, be friendly and don't abuse the system. It has always worked for me.
I prefer being an asshole and trading in as many crappy, knock-off, most likely non-working adapters as possible in a short period of time and then bitching about it online when I get banned.

I did not notice that at all donut. By the time the values noticeably dropped on tuesday I already had $1300 in the bank so I no longer cared. At that point I only traded another $400 more on games that held their values. If any tanking occurs at the start it def is nothing like the best buy nuking before a trade promo. Bottom line I think everyone will be fine on sunday. Just dont expect to walkin mid week and do well
Maybe I was just remembering the GTA,NBA, Forza flips then. I wasn't sure and thought some values dropped but if you got that much in a trade then I'll defer to you, inky.

5 is the flagging territory and 6 may get you soft banned. You will be fine for doing 4 (even 5 but don't exceed that limit) of the same in a rolling month period. As long as those games are not the same title and platform, you will be fine. Like say you are trading in COD: Ghosts for xbox one and for ps4 and for ps3, you will be fine as long as they weren't all for, say ps4 and more than 5 (even if spread across other stores on the same account within a month's time).

Hardware's seem to have a lower threshold for being flagged / banned from what I have seen others report based on their bans.
I remember one of the regs brought up the 5 quantity limit but he was a flipper and not an employee. Has this ever been confirmed? It's a reasonable threshold not to doubt. I'm just wondering whether it really is that specific number.

I suppose I have a report, then. I got jumped by a Jr. Detective a few months ago when Wal-mart was having that ridiculously high value for Ni No Kuni. The Jr. Detective saw that I purchased multiple copies of the game and told me he would not sell me any more and told the other stores in the area not to sell me any of them.

Why did I get the short end of the stick with being stuck with the Jr. Detectives from hell?
It's not bad luck you're getting stuck with jr. detectives. As I've pointed out, it's your buying/trading behavior that gives you away. Take it from an experienced flipper, it's all about discretion. We don't make more on an average per day basis, but without having to take a long extended time out, we end up profiting more in the long run anyway without the extra hassle.

That's what I do, save for the last thing. I am always cordial because I know I'm doing some pretty suspicious stuff, I preorder, fill out good surverys when they help me. It's just the DM and his pack of attack dogs that are hounding me.

Being over 18 does not make you an adult.
Forget about what I said about you owning stock at Gamestop or being a white knight. Looks like you actually work for them. Because you have that shit attitute that I see from every Gamestop employee, you call out someone's age to try to make a point, and your so-called argument has more holes in it then Spongebob Squarepants.

I prefer being an asshole and trading in as many crappy, knock-off, most likely non-working adapters as possible in a short period of time and then bitching about it online when I get banned.
Clearly you do.

Quiet. I'll do as I please. I don't plan to stop exploiting them as long as they continue this douchebaggery of having the worst employees in America and having "deals" like the Fire Emblem one. They are NOT well within their rights to tell me to fuck off. But they are well within their rights to fuck off themselves because I'm not going anywhere.
I'm not a lawyer but I feel like any business can refuse service if they want to without giving any reason why.

Was actually speaking for someone else from their perspective. Which member in this thread did that post describe?
*sigh* Listen. I'm not trying to get into a fight here. Had enough of that at Gamestop. The adapters work. I've tested them in my 360 to make sure. I only traded the adapters at the suggestion of the veterens of this site. They told me they did it and it was fine to do so, so I did. But I have stopped the adapter flip. Even if I am allowed to trade again, I won't trade any more knockoff adapters. As for the "bitching online about it" part, that wasn't my intention. I was just looking for advice.

7/18/14 Base Values

WiiU
Mario Kart 8 - $25

PS3
Ico & Shadow Of The Colossus Collection - $5
Jak & Daxter Collection - $6

Yakuza:Dead Souls - $1.50
Dragon's Crown - $8

Assassin's Creed 3 - $1.50

That is true, but the law is wrong to allow that and so I just don't fell like I should follow it. If they want me gone, they need a good reason.
So you don't like their practices and believe you can be captain save a hoe by "exploiting" them aka flipping for your benefit and bitching on a forum? You go man, tell em how you feel!

I just sent a report to the FBI about Eternal Session. He sent me some disturbing messages.

KMvCNKn.png

How good were the iPad flips? I haven't been on this forum that long?
It was something around 80% TIV I believe. I bought a Ipad Air 64GB (brand new) from BestBuy during that week it was on sale ($640) and went right to gamestop and they gave me $945 for it. I wish that would happen again $200+ profit on one item. Think people were buying Ipad 4 preowned models from Gamestop and just flipping it right back to them at a different store during that time. Times have changed and can't abuse it anymore though.

Eternal Session said:
You hold stock at Gamestop or are you just another out of work white knight looking for a cause to rally under?
Funny you should say that (though to someone else). I did, actually, buy some GS stock the other day. It is pretty undervalued and as long as I get out before the inevitable decline (with all digital games) I should be fine. It has a decent yield too. I'm already up 4.5% on it by the way. This is in a 401K I just rolled over from my old job and I had some extra money getting like 0.01% interest in the brokerage money market account. I figured it was worth a shot.

So, yeah, guys, stop exploiting GS and screwing with my retirement. I'm not that far away from it you know ;).

You should take all that 401k money and buy bulk wholesale 360 power adapters from Iraq and flip them to gamestop, you can retire tomorrow if you do it

i'm working on a new movie script the working title is Wolf of Game Stop

So I've got a first-world problem.

I have a B2G1 coupon from renewing PUR, which I'd like to use before it expires at the end of August. But I can't find one store with three games I want. Any workarounds? I'm thinking something along the lines of buying placeholder games at one store, then exchanging them for identical priced games I want at another store.

I have a B2G1 coupon from renewing PUR, which I'd like to use before it expires at the end of August. But I can't find one store with three games I want. Any workarounds? I'm thinking something along the lines of buying placeholder games at one store, then exchanging them for identical priced games I want at another store.
Buy and return at another store?

Just sell it to me

on average $200+ per ipad air plus a bunch of pur points. flip ipad air to GS, use trade credit to buy amazon giftcards, then go to amazon and buy more ipads on the marketplace. People were also using the buy 2 get 1 free promo to flip ipads back to GS. Was a good 2-3 week run for me, earned more credit during that period then I have in all of 2014.

on average $200+ per ipad air plus a bunch of pur points. flip ipad air to GS, use trade credit to buy amazon giftcards, then go to amazon and buy more ipads on the marketplace. People were also using the buy 2 get 1 free promo to flip ipads back to GS. Was a good 2-3 week run for me, earned more credit during that period then I have in all of 2014.
Probably the best flips in history. As crustybooger as, $200+ on average. Very easy to move credit to Best Buy as well with the buy 2 get 1 free promo happening at the same time. IIRC it was the first time, if not the only time promos did actually stack without any override.

Was able to trade an iPad 4th Gen 32GB straight up for a brand new iPad Air 32GB WITH taxes, which is ~$50+ here easy and had profit left over. Also was able to turn a 2nd Gen 64GB into a 4th Gen 64GB for only $100 as well.

It was so good in fact, people just decided to trade BRAND NEW iPads from Best Buy just for this promo. You guys know who you are ;)

For those CAGs who want to look at fond memories:

Only paid $432 for that iPad a couple months earlier, from Gamestop too LOL.

f5941965-4ec0-4174-ba99-a0f7b7495760_zps67f4b872.jpg

EDIT:

For reference as well, here's the thread.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/321618-old-thread-new-thread-in-firstlast-posts/page-218

Thanks again JP for all the hard work! This is old as hell.

Probably the best flips in history. As crustybooger as, $200+ on average. Very easy to move credit to Best Buy as well with the buy 2 get 1 free promo happening at the same time. IIRC it was the first time, if not the only time promos did actually stack without any override.

Was able to trade an iPad 4th Gen 32GB straight up for a brand new iPad Air 32GB WITH taxes, which is ~$50+ here easy and had profit left over. Also was able to turn a 2nd Gen 64GB into a 4th Gen 64GB for only $100 as well.

It was so good in fact, people just decided to trade BRAND NEW iPads from Best Buy just for this promo. You guys know who you are ;)

EDIT:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/321618-old-thread-new-thread-in-firstlast-posts/page-218

Brings back some fond memories. I remember trading in an iPad that I had just opened in the car and them trying not to take it as "Like New".

This lead up to Gamestop offering the B1G1 50% off promo on consumer electronics, but messing up on the website and offering everything 50% off instead. I used all my credit and bought 3 iPhone 5s's and a couple of iPads. I still can't believe they honored that order.

victoryroadrage said:
Reading all these ipad flipping stories is making me wonder what the hell I was doing at the time. :wall:
Don't worry, I was here and aware of it and still held off. Wasn't there some YMMV factor to it in terms of them stacking coupons and also grading them as like new? I had a really hard time getting them to take my iPhone trades as like new even though they were spotless. In my area they said they were told never to take stuff as like new.

I dunno - there was some reason I didn't participate in any of that besides using some coupon to get a decent value for the iPhones when I upgraded with my cell phone carrier.

jfh2c said:
This lead up to Gamestop offering the B1G1 50% off promo on consumer electronics, but messing up on the website and offering everything 50% off instead. I used all my credit and bought 3 iPhone 5s's and a couple of iPads. I still can't believe they honored that order.
Now I did take advantage of the 50% off electronics to pick up a 32 GB iPad for my son for like $200-something. I wish now that I had gotten a few more. I just assumed all those orders would get cancelled. It figures that whenever I go all-in on glitches they do get cancelled (like the Walmart sales glitch last year).

Don't worry, I was here and aware of it and still held off. Wasn't there some YMMV factor to it in terms of them stacking coupons and also grading them as like new? I had a really hard time getting them to take my iPhone trades as like new even though they were spotless. In my area they said they were told never to take stuff as like new.

I dunno - there was some reason I didn't participate in any of that besides using some coupon to get a decent value for the iPhones when I upgraded with my cell phone carrier.

Now I did take advantage of the 50% off electronics to pick up a 32 GB iPad for my son for like $200-something. I wish now that I had gotten a few more. I just assumed all those orders would get cancelled. It figures that whenever I go all-in on glitches they do get cancelled (like the Walmart sales glitch last year).
I was all in on that Walmart glitch. Ended up with ~$1,000 worth of LEGOs for $150. If only Walmart didn't call and cancel delivery on those 2 $200 sets I was going to get for $10.99... Oh well, still one of the best deals I ever got.
To be a little more on topic, anyone get banned for using bday coupons? I have wondered how much discretion should be used with those.

The original Dead Rising was getting $20 in May, anyone think the value is anywhere close to that right now?

EDIT:

didnt 30% and 50% stack for awhile? that was insane o_O

Yeah I was in on the whole ipad flipping.  Started with trading in my own 16gb gen 2. After all was said and done, got the wife a brand new Air, paid off a PS4 and a bunch of preorders. I've been flipping adapters/harddrives (when its profitable, not now) for going on a year now. 6 accounts under various family members 5 a month (all in one day) each. Has paid for my entire gaming habit, shell gas in my car, Ipads for the wife/kids and gift cards to restaurants/amazon for whatever it is we need at the moment.

Its funny to see people bashing the adapter flipping but GS actually sells these things for a profit, as does amazon. If not they'd nuke the values long ago. Consider me a small time supplier. Its a simple business concept. Buy cheap, sell for profit. What makes GS buying your game for $5 and turning around and selling it for $25 any different?

Any other good GS->BB credit movers besides angry birds, nba live 14, and MGS ground Zeroes? Kinda limited stock of those games in my area.

Yeah I was in on the whole ipad flipping. Started with trading in my own 16gb gen 2. After all was said and done, got the wife a brand new Air, paid off a PS4 and a bunch of preorders. I've been flipping adapters/harddrives (when its profitable, not now) for going on a year now. 6 accounts under various family members 5 a month (all in one day) each. Has paid for my entire gaming habit, shell gas in my car, Ipads for the wife/kids and gift cards to restaurants/amazon for whatever it is we need at the moment.

Its funny to see people bashing the adapter flipping but GS actually sells these things for a profit, as does amazon. If not they'd nuke the values long ago. Consider me a small time supplier. Its a simple business concept. Buy cheap, sell for profit. What makes GS buying your game for $5 and turning around and selling it for $25 any different?
anyone who says the word PROFIT inside any gamestop location will now be perm banned and the employee will be asked to take pictures of you with their smartphone and they will post pics of you on the front door of the store....

how dare you make a profit from gamestop.........how do you sleep at night criminal......

lmfao

how many pur rewards points are you at? do you have me beat? im over 2mil

anyone who says the word PROFIT inside any gamestop location will now be perm banned and the employee will be asked to take pictures of you with their smartphone and they will post pics of you on the front door of the store....

how dare you make a profit from gamestop.........how do you sleep at night criminal......

lmfao

how many pur rewards points are you at? do you have me beat? im over 2mil
Lmao I couldn't even tell you honestly. I usually cash them out at 50,000 in the event of a ban so it wouldn't be a complete loss. But 2 mil def seems like the number to beat . ha!

didnt 30% and 50% stack for awhile? that was insane o_O
It was. I believe that entire week, and the values never dipped either. And anyone who bought lots of those coupons were still going strong well into the following week. It was ridiculous.

Ipad adventures
I turned my Ipad 16gb 2 into 4 Ipad 32gb (and 1 128gb) 4s and an Ipad mini 32gb.

Everyone was wondering what I was doing that week, but when the 50% off all electronics box from GS arrived and I gave everyone their 'free' ipads they knew...they knew...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back