OLD THREAD: New thread in FIRST/LAST posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP

CAG Veteran
Feedback
181 (100%)
NEW THREAD: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/334650-gamestop-trade-in-values-xxvi-values-available-on-ios-app-upcoming-50-bonus-with-coupon/

WHEN REPORTING TRADE-IN VALUES PLEASE POST BASE VALUES & SYSTEM IT IS FOR.

First post contains promo information & useful information and frequently asked questions. Second post has the values for games/hardware for Microsoft devices. Third post has the values for games/hardware for Nintendo consoles and the fourth post has the values for Nintendo handhelds. Fifth post has the values for games/hardware for Sony consoles and the sixth post has the values for Sony handhelds.

Instructions on finding games in the database and inputting the values from different sections can be found in my blog post here: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/blog.php?b=14143. I would put the entire post in the thread but this is already kind of a large post.

WHEN POSTING VALUES:

Please try to follow the example below if possible. If you feel the need to use the system icons, please only use them once at and at the top of the list. Also always post the system it's for even if it's only on one system or the value will not get updated. I don't always know it and I'm doing these updates from work to keep them as updated as often as possible so I can't spend time searching for that info.

5/13

Game1

Game2

Game3

PS3

Game1

Game2

Game3

Current Promotions/Information:

From GameStop employees on CAG:

GameStop.com Information (will post it when they update it)

None Currently.

FAQ
These trade-in values are really low!
While that may be true, if you combine the games with the right promotion they can work to your advantage. There are knowledgeable people in this thread that are normally willing to help.

Is there any way to look at what the previous values reported on a game?
You can search through this thread and previous ones to see what a game has been reported in the past. With the TIV Tracker you can sort by date and then go through the list of past updated values through that as well. Here are the previous GS TIV Threads: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15,16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21,22,23,,

Can I trade-in sealed games?
No. You might come across the rare GameStop that would let you do it, but they are going to open them anyway.

I don't want to get hassled about the values I post, how can I get the information out there?
If you do not feel comfortable or willing to put the values in the thread you have two options available. You can input them in the TIV tracker or you can send them to me via PM. Either way the database and these lists will be updated. Putting them into the TIV tracker does save me some time later on.

Do trade-ins have to have their original case, insert and manual?
No, however it will be YMMV on if they charge you a refurbish fee for them in that condition. Most GameStops wont charge a fee but there are some that charge for incomplete games.

Will they accept my game if it is really beat up?
YMMV. It really all depends upon the employee you get. Some will charge refurbish fees, some wont, some wont accept the game and others just take them without a second glance.

What are the refurb fees on games?
There appears to be set prices for set value ranges. We aren't 100% certain on the splits just yet. Here is what we have currently:
$0.25-$2 Value: $0.75 Refurb Fee
$2.01-$4 Value: $1 Refurb Fee
$4.01-$7 Value: $2 Refurb Fee
$7.01-$10 Value: $3 Refurb Fee
$10.01 & Higher Value: $4 Refurb Fee
This information isn't guaranteed by any mean and we are still working on nailing it down.

What are the refurb fees on consoles?
They are listed in the hardware TIV section, highlight in red.

I have a Collector's/Limited/Special edition of a game, do I have to trade-in all of the extras?
No, but there are a handful of games that their variations have separate listings at GameStop: Madden 09 Anniversary Edition, Battlefield: Bad Company Gold Edition, and a few others.

Why didn't the percent bonus go for my accessory for a system that was included?
Unless stated otherwise, and they are rarely included, the bonuses never apply to accessories. Except the PowerUp Rewards card of course.

I traded in a bunch of games for the "Trade X, get $X bonus" promo and it gave me the percentage bonus instead?
I can't give concretes on why this happens. GameStop computers are normally pretty good at giving you the better promo. In the case of a percentage bonus being run at the same time as a "Trade X, get $X" promo, things can get messy. The system appears to only give one promo on games per transaction so if you had a few games that you want to go to the percentage bonus and a stack for the "Trade X, Get $X" it will regularly apply the percentage to all of the games. Your best bet is to do all "Trade X, Get $X" games in one transaction on their own. The GameStop clerk may say that the system will figure it all out, tell them you want a separate transaction anyway. As always, check your receipt before you leave the store.

Can I trade in multiple copies of the same game?
YMMV. The official policy is no, but there are some GameStops that overlook that rule.

What all do I have to trade in for a console trade-in?
Xbox 360: Console Unit, power brick, A/V Cables, Controller (wired/wireless)
Wii: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cables, Wiimote, Nunchuck, Sensor Bar
Playstation 3: Console Unit, Power Cable, A/V Cable, Controller, USB Cable
PSP: Handheld, A/C Adapter
Nintendo DS/DSLite/DSi: Handheld, A/C Adapter, Stylus

Can I trade in a defective/broken console?
For the most part yes. If it powers on but doesn't play games, they will take the console as a refurb unit and put a refurb fee on the console. The refurb fee on the console will vary on the price of the console so those numbers will change. You are still required to trade in everything required listed in the question directly above.

What is the difference between PowerUp Rewards and PowerUp Rewards Pro?
The basic card is free and only allows you to acrew points when spending money. The Pro card costs $14.99 and is basically the same as the previous EDGE program.

How much does a PowerUp Rewards Pro subscription cost?
It costs $14.99 and is good for a year. It also comes with a 1-year subscription to Game Informer magazine.

What bonuses come with having an PowerUp Rewards Pro card?
You will get an extra 10% trade-in credit on the base value of the game, extra 10% off the purchase of pre-owned games and 10% off new strategy guides.

Does the Power Up Rewards Card give me a bonus on hardware trade-ins?
No. You will only get the bonus for games and accessories.

What if I want cash instead of credit, what do they deduct?
If you decide that you want cash instead of credit, they will take 20% off the base values and promos will not apply.

Does promo "....." have a minimum trade-in value?
If the promo has a minimum trade-in value requirement, it will be listed in the promo. If it isn't there, then there is no limit. However, as with all trades, they are subject to manager approval so the manager could have setup his own little rule-set requiring a minimum of whatever.

I used a Power Trade promo for a pre-order, can I cancel that pre-order and get the credit or move it to another game I want?
Yes on both accounts. However, if you do a bunch of the power trades and just straight drop the pre-order you could create some ill-will between yourself and the employees you cancel on. However, if you look at the wordings on promos, they can remove the bonus trade-in value if they decide to.

I just tried to use a promo that has a select list of games eligible, but they say my game isn't eligible anymore, what gives?
Basically they have the right to change the eligible games at any time. They tend to update these frequently so as to lock out any easy/cheap games. It's best to check the eligible list the day of your trade.

Can I stack two different trade-in promos?
No. The only thing that will stack with trade-ins is your PowerUp Rewards card. Some will report success, but this requires a manual override and is very YMMV.

If I pay for an item using all credit on my card, do I have to pay sales tax?
This varies depending upon the state you live in.

If I buy a used copy of a game that requires an online pass for multiplayer, will it come with an online pass?
If you purchase a used title published by either Sony or WB you get an online pass from GS on your receipt. That's also why the used copies are $55 instead of $48 when the MSRP is $60. No GS issued passes of games published by EA, THQ, etc. On those titles you're totally dependent on the previous owner not using the code.

What states charge sales tax on purchases paid in full with credit and which ones don't?
Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alabama, Arkansas, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nevada, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, West Virginia
Does Not Charge Sales Tax on Credit Purchases: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oregon, South Carolina, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming
May or May Not Charge, Depending Upon County: Florida,

My state doesn't charge sales tax on purchases made by credit, why is gamestop.com charging me tax?
It is just the way they have designed their system. The best theory we have seen is that since you are only inputting the number off of the back of the card, it isn't going to pick up the programming from the specially tagged EDGE cards. Some kind of programming that gets input from their system that wont show up when only inputting the number off the back of the card.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a few on here which tells you something about the cheap ass gaming culture, but I think you'll find that many more folks on here have been working for a very long time in corporate America and have accumulated wisdom over many years.

It's Dog eat Dog, whats yours is yours until its mine, and no one should ever settle for less than they are owed. Gamestop by its nature is a parasite, it feeds of game developers, customers and everything in between. It produces nothing of value that is not available elsewhere. While I can make a buck flipping to GS I will be happy to supply it with games it will sell for a profit. If there is no profit for me I will shop elsewhere, if GS decides they can't profit of me they will ban me again. I already only buy games from BB because of GCU and their pricematching policies.  

No one owes GS a brass nickle.

Gamestop can not refuse to cancel your preorders nor can they force you to buy a warranty you don't want. I don't believe either of those things happened. They can complain about your amount of canceling and say they no longer want your business but they would give you your money back first.

I'm seeing the term "forced to buy" being used a lot here. Did we forget that we are referring to video games? No one is ripping the money/ credit from your pockets. If you feel like they are practicing some shady tactics then don't buy, simple enough.

I think the discussion is more about the ethics of moving money from a preorder if you received additional bonus credit for the transaction.

I love that all the people asking why GS would take in a Wii U game pad that is only one per system are the same ones who flip XBox power adapters that are also one per system.

I bet there would be a pretty nice market for reselling those game pads. My kids have broken 2 of them so far (thank you replacement plans). I wouldn't be surprised if they started taking them in once they're not required for system functionality.

Gamestop can not refuse to cancel your preorders nor can they force you to buy a warranty you don't want. I don't believe either of those things happened. They can complain about your amount of canceling and say they no longer want your business but they would give you your money back first.
THIS THIS THIS! I use to work at Gamestop and never cared about pre-orders though that is the main way to move up in the company. At other stores, I would try to cancel and they would give me a huge runaround about me not being able to cancel it until the game is out and all this crap. I end up going to another store and saying I want to cancel it at XYZ store. When they say they can't do it, I tell them to call the store, put the credit on a gift card and than let me use to the credit at the store I'm at. They hate when you do that but f-them for not allowing me to cancel it the easy way.

I love that all the people asking why GS would take in a Wii U game pad that is only one per system are the same ones who flip XBox power adapters that are also one per system.

I bet there would be a pretty nice market for reselling those game pads. My kids have broken 2 of them so far (thank you replacement plans). I wouldn't be surprised if they started taking them in once they're not required for system functionality.
Exactly. You can't just go into Gamestop or Best Buy and buy a replacement Wii U gamepad. A lot of people here are probably not considering kids or careless people breaking their gamepad. I bet lots of kids break them and parents who don't have a replacement plan just end up buying a whole new system or go to eBay, where gamepads are sold for $100-200. It would make sense for Gamestop to sell them.

No it would make sense for them to sell you the whole unit to make more money off you -_-

Only if you assume the customer doesn't explore any other options and has money to blow. They can buy a gamepad on eBay or get a replacement/repair from Nintendo for much less than the cost of an entire system at Gamestop.

It would make sense for gamestop to sell them.

Of course they would be overpriced but you know that the overprice is not something we buy here on CAG.

And honestly they cost $100, might as well get another Wii U lol

Gamestop is the devil. Not only do they think they can do what they want with my money, they ruined this thread with that updated app by making it into a shit-flinging gamestop thread! :twoguns:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUIO3Kt3qk

Sorry for the stupid question, but are the trade-in values in the OP the base values (e.g. Pokemon X - 17$) or do they reflect the extra 50% from the promo?

So question about the Wii/DS deal.

I found a few real great gems that I want, but copies of them are few and only available at some gamestops.

If I buy, say

Advanced Wars Days Of Ruin

Avanced Wars Dual Strike

Kirby Canvas Curse

Kirby Squeak Squad

Radiant Historia

Ghost Trick

But they are each at different gamestops, can I bring them all to one gamestop and do the B2G1 return/rebuy?

All the gamestops are within 20 miles and not much of a drive.

Also I just looked at a receipt I had for the last few DS games I bought and saw:

Buy 2 Preowned Games under $20 get 1 Free

PROMO CODE

Valid 7-28-14 to 8-2-14

here's a good one...According to the Gamestop App you can trade in TLOU PS4 for $21 base, $23.10 with PUR.

Yes, thats a TIV for a game not even out yet...

Would i be able to swap xbox 1 version of ghosts for 360 version? Its brand new in a wrapper :D Cause rakuten send me wrong version ;/

Today 7/22
:xb1: Wolfenstein: The New Order - $21
:xb1: COD: Ghosts - $16
:xb1: Fighter Within - $6

After returning the copy of ground zeroes, bonuses and coupons I was able to pickup Watch Dogs and Murdered Soul Suspect for $3 out of pocket

3DS

Yoshi's New Island - $15

Pokemon Y - $17

Figured I'd use my credit and rent Murdered Soul Suspect for a week. I'm sure it'll probably be the next $10 PS4 title though.

Does anybody here yet know if GameStop will be having those "Playcation" coupons that give you 50% bonus trade in credit on everything (games, systems, electronics, etc.)?  If so, how do you get one of those?

Last year I had to buy one on eBay (it was totally worth it) because I couldn't figure out how to get one on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Does anybody here yet know if GameStop will be having those "Playcation" coupons that give you 50% bonus trade in credit on everything (games, systems, electronics, etc.)? If so, how do you get one of those?

Last year I had to buy one on eBay (it was totally worth it) because I couldn't figure out how to get one on my own.

Thanks in advance.
They just been handing them out. I have 4 already. One was after a trade in and I got 3 more just from purchases. They just threw in the bag. If you go in and buy or trade, before you leave ask for one if they forget. They're only for games this time though.

They just been handing them out. I have 4 already. One was after a trade in and I got 3 more just from purchases. They just threw in the bag. If you go in and buy or trade, before you leave ask for one if they forget. They're only for games this time though.
In my experience, the employees, despite being cool employees overall, forget to give out the coupons 95% of the time, so it's even more important to remember to ask for one.

Is it an extra 50% on systems and tablets or just games ?

So question about the Wii/DS deal.

I found a few real great gems that I want, but copies of them are few and only available at some gamestops.

If I buy, say

Advanced Wars Days Of Ruin

Avanced Wars Dual Strike

Kirby Canvas Curse

Kirby Squeak Squad

Radiant Historia

Ghost Trick

But they are each at different gamestops, can I bring them all to one gamestop and do the B2G1 return/rebuy?

All the gamestops are within 20 miles and not much of a drive.

Also I just looked at a receipt I had for the last few DS games I bought and saw:

Buy 2 Preowned Games under $20 get 1 Free

PROMO CODE

Valid 7-28-14 to 8-2-14
This is how I usually do it. Go get your games, return and rebuy them at one store to get the active b2g1 offer.

7/23/14 Base Values

Ps4 Watch Dogs - 22

3ds Kirby Triple Deluxe - 15

3ds Bravely Default - 17

Pokemon X - 17

Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds  - 16

Also traded Lightning Returns: FF XIII but saw that with the 50% + 10% PUR, it came to 11.xx so I told the cashier to take that out.

7/23/14 Base Values

Ps4 Watch Dogs - 22
3ds Kirby Triple Deluxe - 15
3ds Bravely Default - 17
Pokemon X - 17
Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds - 16

Also traded Lightning Returns: FF XIII but saw that with the 50% + 10% PUR, it came to 11.xx so I told the cashier to take that out.
Why didn't you trade-in watchdog at Walmart for the 60.xx

Do you guys think there will be a system promo again or is getting to the point where they don't really want last gen stuff anymore?

I have an extra ps3 slim 160 gb in perfect condition that i'm trying to dump. 

Do you guys think there will be a system promo again or is getting to the point where they don't really want last gen stuff anymore?

I have an extra ps3 slim 160 gb in perfect condition that i'm trying to dump.
I think there will be more system promos, whether they will be worthwhile or not is the question. Last reported value for the 160GB Slim was only $70, which doesn't seem worthwhile to me unless the promo was 100% bonus, which seems very unlikely to happen.

Anyone have any good GameStop to BestBuy flips?

I've already done x3 Ground Zeroes and x3 Angry Birds Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back