OMG i got ripped off at Toys R US!!!

cdwjustin

CAGiversary!
ok so i bought deus ex when it was at toys R us for 35$ last tuesday and well today i finally opened it and guess what no game or booklet... just a fucking philips CD-R... not even a bluray sence i got it for ps3... im pissed what do i do?????????

Last edited by a moderator:
First, contact the store you bought it from and explain the situation. If they don't let you exchange it, contact their corporate number. K-mart and sears have a lot of their merchandise stolen so they might be willing to cooperate with you and exchange it. I had to do this with a game I bought at k-mart, although that was $5..

Don't worry about it too much. Like I said, if you have any problems with the store you can try contacting corporate. At the very least they'll probably give you a gift card. If you don't wanna do any of that, PM SHC-Gamer. He's the K-mart representitive on CAG, I'm sure he'd help you out.

[quote name='sunghost']First, contact the store you bought it from and explain the situation. If they don't let you exchange it, contact their corporate number. K-mart and sears have a lot of their merchandise stolen so they might be willing to cooperate with you and exchange it. I had to do this with a game I bought at k-mart, although that was $5..[/QUOTE]

What do u mean that Kmart and sears have a lot of their merchandise stolen? Cause I have bought alot of games from both sears and Kmart in the last few months during clearances and sales and have never opened them yet and in my backlog. So did something happen like this in the past that I missed in the forums? If so has this happened to alot of other Cags from these stores?

[quote name='Crashmasteromega']What do u mean that Kmart and sears have a lot of their merchandise stolen? Cause I have bought alot of games from both sears and Kmart in the last few months during clearances and sales and have never opened them yet and in my backlog. So did something happen like this in the past that I missed in the forums? If so has this happened to alot of other Cags from these stores?[/QUOTE]
I bought a copy of :ps3:Smackdown Vs. Raw 2010 from a Sears out of state for $6 on clearance and I didn't open it till I got home. It wasn't until then that I noticed the plastic along the side of the case was sliced open and there was no game in the case.:cry: I contacted SHC-Gamer about it and he sent me out a $40 gift card because not only did I have the missing game to contend with but also the local Sears manager gave me an attitude when I asked if they would resolve the problem at their store.

Prior to that I had shopped at a further off Sears in my own state where they took to wrapping up the games that were on the shelf and in their clearance bin with 3-6 layers of clear packing tape to try and prevent the same thing from happening there.

[quote name='cdwjustin']ok so i bought deus ex when it was at kmart for 35$ last tuesday and well today i finally opened it and guess what no game or booklet... just a fucking philips CD-R... not even a bluray sence i got it for ps3... im pissed what do i do?????????[/QUOTE]

I could be mistaken but Deus Ex was never $35 at Kmart

Maybe they had a couple coupons from prior games they bought? Either that or they somehow got Kmart to match the TRU $35 price, though I believe that sale price is THIS week's.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Maybe they had a couple coupons from prior games they bought? Either that or they somehow got Kmart to match the TRU $35 price, though I believe that sale price is THIS week's.[/QUOTE]

Kmart doesn't pricematch.

Regardless though OP is going to have a tough task proving to customer service that he did in fact purchase a case with no disc. I'm in Kmart several times each month buying gaming items and I almost never do any type of returns so when I ran into an issue where I bought a PS3 that was sold to me as "NEW" but obviously had been used and exchanged they had no problem doing a return.

If you (OP) get shot down I would contact Josh Deane in the offical Kmart thread. He may be able to help you as well.

Remember though this isn't truly Kmart ripping you off. After I read similar stories to this happen to people at various retailers I always check the shrink wrap to make sure their are no slits anywhere in the seal.

Edit: I'm not a criminal, so I guess I don't think like one, but how do you manage to get BOTH the game disc and a manual out of the game and put a CD-R back into the case and STILL keep the shrink wrap looking "new enough" where you don't suspect something is up?

[quote name='Crashmasteromega']What do u mean that Kmart and sears have a lot of their merchandise stolen? Cause I have bought alot of games from both sears and Kmart in the last few months during clearances and sales and have never opened them yet and in my backlog. So did something happen like this in the past that I missed in the forums? If so has this happened to alot of other Cags from these stores?[/QUOTE]
I used to work at Kmart and this happened pretty frequently. Almost always CD-Rs, too. Kmart had the highest rate of shoplifting out of every place I've worked at, stuff was stolen literally every day.

[quote name='GBAstar']
Edit: I'm not a criminal, so I guess I don't think like one, but how do you manage to get BOTH the game disc and a manual out of the game and put a CD-R back into the case and STILL keep the shrink wrap looking "new enough" where you don't suspect something is up?[/QUOTE]
They probably have a shrink wrap machine that they bought from a closing store on the cheap and do this on a relatively large scale so they can make their money back.

now im even more pissed... i never shop at toys are us... and i never will again them fuckers im glad that kmart is still legit to me

Last edited by a moderator:
they better be glad it was u and not me.. just do what i would do.... go and try to get a refund and if you dont get a refund ask a clerk to let you see the game off the shelf and just take it after all u will have your proof of purchase or get another copy open it and put the game in your case and walk out.. you will not go to jail if all goes to hell,. but hey that just me because i refuse to get screwed by anyone that i can get to

If the game was new and sealed, how can you blaim TRU or K-Mart? Obviously, this is a manufacturing error. I had the same thing happen with Tekken 6 and I contacted Namco directly. It was actually a help topic "Missing Instruction Book or Game Disc". I don't remember if I needed to send them the case or a copy of the receipt, but they sent me a brand new and factory sealed game.

That blows. I actually open up all games in store now before I leave just because of these horror stories. At least most big box stores will work with you to either give you a replacement or money back, though some need a little more prodding and annoyance from you before you get results. Hopefully it all pans out, but I wouldn't feel awkward about telling them. It's their fault for not checking the packaging on the return for signs of tampering. When you know you're in the clear, there's no reason to feel awkward. Also, go into the store, so if they tell you no, just continue getting louder and louder. Pick a busy time of day too, they are less likely to allow you to continue ranting in front of customers. Of course, don't go in screaming, but express your disappointment, frustration, and inconvenience. It also helps that you are doing this with a sale item and not trying to scam a brand new game that's selling like hot cakes.

[quote name='sassylaurie']If the game was new and sealed, how can you blaim TRU or K-Mart? Obviously, this is a manufacturing error. I had the same thing happen with Tekken 6 and I contacted Namco directly. It was actually a help topic "Missing Instruction Book or Game Disc". I don't remember if I needed to send them the case or a copy of the receipt, but they sent me a brand new and factory sealed game.[/QUOTE]

You underestimate the sneakiness of a broke ass mofo theif. This happens all of the time in retail. You can purchase rolls of shrink wrap, just about any sticker or case type in the world, copies of instruction booklets and art inserts, etc. It's not far fetched to open a case, place the binder sticker back on (those things never rip or warp when taking them off), put new shrink wrap on, and voila! Brand new game. Any monkey with a heat gun or working at another retail location can do this. Also, most stores that deal with new goods already have the supplies in the back.

Stores wanna know if there is internal theft so a 35.00 they would easily replace. I don't think there is a store that wouldn't. Gamestop did that to me with a ps1 years ago. Someone swapped it out. It is not like this story is every day for them. Now if they check the system and you are a serial returner then there is pause for the cause.

[quote name='Arakias']What does Kmart have to do with TRU?[/QUOTE]

Nothing. He mistakingly said he got the game from Kmart, then edited the OP.

i mad a mistake i NEVER buy anything from from toys r us just jumped on the 35$ deal. was going to do amazon but they didnt crate the deal just copied it. so i figured id take my buissness to the original source boy was i wrong...

LOL, well half of my advice still stands. I've never bought a "missing" game from Toys R Us but you should still contact the store and/or corporate. I have no idea what their customer service is like for situations such as this. I think you would've been better off if it were K-mart cuz you could always PM Josh (SHC-Gamer) lol.

When I was a kid, I got Mortal Kombat II for SNES for Christmas. But when I opened it, it was an 8-Track tape... people have been doing this kinda stuff for a long time.

[quote name='scg84']When I was a kid, I got Mortal Kombat II for SNES for Christmas. But when I opened it, it was an 8-Track tape... people have been doing this kinda stuff for a long time.[/QUOTE]

Wow that's crazy.

My question is if you already stole the game, why bother putting a blank disc inside the case? Is that supposed to make the future buyer feel more at ease or something? "No game but at least I got a blank CD-R, yay?".

[quote name='CAG 79']Wow that's crazy.

My question is if you already stole the game, why bother putting a blank disc inside the case? Is that supposed to make the future buyer feel more at ease or something? "No game but at least I got a blank CD-R, yay?".[/QUOTE]

Maybe so it weighs the same.

This happened to me with Gears of War 2 at Best Buy. The case was shrink-wrapped (the good kind with the folded edges) and still had the three security stickers with the bar codes on it. There was a DVD-R on the inside. This had to have been done during manufacturing. I brought it back and they exchanged it with pretty much no problem at all. So annoying - also a potentially huge scam if you could buy a game and then claim the disc wasn't in there.

[quote name='cdwjustin']i mad a mistake i NEVER buy anything from from toys r us just jumped on the 35$ deal. was going to do amazon but they didnt crate the deal just copied it. so i figured id take my buissness to the original source boy was i wrong...[/QUOTE]

Stop being a fucking idiot, it's not Toys R Us' fault, TRU didn't "rip you off". Good lord.

[quote name='cdwjustin']well i took it back they exchanged it... i hate fucking thieves they make me sick[/QUOTE]

See? You were all raging against toysrus saying you will never shop there again. Next time just take a breath and go to the store instead of going batshit crazy blaming the store. You sound like you are wound way too tight, maybe get some Adivan or something.

[quote name='cdwjustin']well i took it back they exchanged it... i hate fucking thieves they make me sick[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Cmosfm']Stop being a fucking idiot, it's not Toys R Us' fault, TRU didn't "rip you off". Good lord.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='dmdragon']See? You were all raging against toysrus saying you will never shop there again. Next time just take a breath and go to the store instead of going batshit crazy blaming the store. You sound like you are wound way too tight, maybe get some Adivan or something.[/QUOTE]

Sameee thing happened to me at Toys R Us. I bought Little Big Planet when it first came out. The game was factory sealed and everything but when I got home and opened it up, no game, no booklet.

I took it back and exchanged it, the guy at the counter who helped me out (wasn't the same person who sold me the game) told me that TRU gets "display" games that are sealed and do not have any game inside, they are for display only. He said the person who sold it to me might of sold me their display copy.

Whether it's true or not, I have no idea! I do remember that being the last Little big planet game they had in stock at the time though.....anyway, that was the last time I ever bought a game at Toys R Us.

Happened to me too. Bought Ghost Recon 2 from Best Buy and when i opened it i found a burnt mixed cd. Called them and they said "sorry, no returns on open product". Bastards!

bread's done
Back