One and Only "____ is wrong with my Wii" General Questions/Help Topic.

[quote name='Rig']I'd definitely turn off the Connec24 feature (or whatever it's called).

The DVD player it's sitting on doesn't get hot on top, does it? That'd be heat transferring right to the Wii.

Otherwise, it may just be dying on its own. :/[/QUOTE]

I'm gonna try doing the hard shutoff and see how that works. The DVD player doesn't generate much heat so I don't think that is an issue. I also cleaned the vents so we shall see what happens.

I had to send in my wii twice one time my saves were intact, the second time they had to give me a new machine and could not save my saves. I lost a lot of stuff, I was able to redownload my VC games though. Ask them what is the best price they can give you on the repair, they may do it for less. The second time I had to get it repaired was cheaper than the first time.

[quote name='mickeyp']Just the console.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the prompt response.

I have it where the Wii turns on, but the Health and Safety screen does not show up. The screen just stays black. Does anyone know if Nintendo can fix this while keeping my saves intact?

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Thank you for the prompt response.

I have it where the Wii turns on, but the Health and Safety screen does not show up. The screen just stays black. Does anyone know if Nintendo can fix this while keeping my saves intact?[/QUOTE]

Mine has done the same thing. It's like it is taking steps...at first I get no signal. The tv isn't recognizing that it has anything connected. After awhile, I will finally start getting the black screen. Finally a few more tries after that I finally get it working. It's definitely a hassle though. I'm thinking of sending it in to Nintendo. Will have to call to find out how much they may charge me.

[quote name='ibelongtohalo']Mine has done the same thing. It's like it is taking steps...at first I get no signal. The tv isn't recognizing that it has anything connected. After awhile, I will finally start getting the black screen. Finally a few more tries after that I finally get it working. It's definitely a hassle though. I'm thinking of sending it in to Nintendo. Will have to call to find out how much they may charge me.[/QUOTE]

I forgot to mention that when I finally do get working it freezes a few times before finally it stops doing that and just works.

Recently, my wii remote started to act weird and it keeps loosing connection in the middle of playing which is very annoying.

I did the permanent sync again and tried new batteries but the same thing happens again.

My second remote has none of these problems; anyone has any idea what's causing it?

Lots of questions:

Is this a Nintendo brand Wiimote?
Do you have a Nintendo brand WiiMote Plus plugged into it?
Do you have a GC controller plugged into your Wii?
Do you have a Wavebird receiver plugged into your Wii?
Are the games disc games, WiiWare or "other?"
Is your Nunchuck plugged in? Is it 1st party or 3rd?

Some known issues:
Some Wii games don't like GC controllers, or Wavebird receivers plugged in (Goldeneye).
If you use old school emulators (NES. SNES, Genesis, GBA, etc), they can be very particular about which controller you are using.
Sometimes Wiimote issues can be confused with Nunchuck issues.

I don't know if anybody still reads this thread, but we just started getting a message on our Wii saying, "The system files are corrupted". According to Nintendo's support, the only option they give is to send the thing in for repair, and they give the dire warning that they will try to save our data, but can't guarantee it. I'm just wondering if anybody here has gotten this error before.

If we power it off and back on, usually it starts up fine and everything seems Ok. But then it will happen another time. This most recent time it took two restarts to get it to come up.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']Do I need to call Nintendo first?[/QUOTE]

Go to support on Nintendo.com. You will click thru a few questions, and you might even get an estimate of what the issue is.

So I picked up Skyward Sword this morning, started playing it...and there are sparkly-looking, white dots all over the screen (when I open the map the dots turn black). With a little help from Google it sounds like this may be a GPU overheating issue and I need to send my Wii in to get fixed...however after reading this I popped in Smash Brothers and it was fine. Has anyone else had this problem? I can't afford two weeks for my Wii to get fixed as I'm 2 hours into Skyward Sword now, so I'll have to bear with it, but if anyone knows of any temporary fixes or anything, would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked already, I tried using the "Search this thread" option but couldn't find anything, although it's possible that it's in there somewhere...

Sorry man, did a quick search myself on the web and didn't see any great temp solutions to try. You may have to live with it or bite the bullet and have them repair. :(

In case anyone gets the same issue I mentioned above:

I was using the stock component cables for my Wii, upon upgrading to the cables that would allow me to display Wii games at 480p and changing my Wii's setting, the problem is much, much better. It's not fixed totally, but it's barely noticeable now whereas before it was incredibly annoying.

Like I said, it didn't fix it completely, but it works as a temporary solution until I (and my two brothers) finish Skyward Sword. :)

@yanksfan Thanks for trying. Also love the avater/username. :p

Did anyone have any problems with the Wii not accepting discs? It worked fine until today when I tried putting a game in and it just came back out. The drive is making some weird noises like it's trying to read the game. Tried a couple of games and nothing works.

Playing Call of Duty Black Ops? That will fry your optical drive. Lots of documentation about this around the interwebs if you look--the Wii doesn't have enough RAM so the game continually streams content off the disc.

It's relatively easy to replace your own optical drive:
http://consolezombie.com/Wii/Wii-Drive-Replacement.html

And, it does not change your machine ID so you don't lose all your DL content.

Never played Black Ops on the Wii and also it seems to be working now as today I tried a couple of games without any problems.

[quote name='BLink']today I tried a couple of games without any problems.[/QUOTE]

That's awesome. Maybe some dirt was just lodged up in there.

Just bought a used wii at gamestop on sale. Not sure if my wiimote should be doing this. Whenever I move the cursor around of click a button it rumbles. Don't remember noticing it in game, but it is very apparent in the main wii menu.

[quote name='Obiwan456']Just bought a used wii at gamestop on sale. Not sure if my wiimote should be doing this. Whenever I move the cursor around of click a button it rumbles. Don't remember noticing it in game, but it is very apparent in the main wii menu.[/QUOTE]

That's normal behavior.

I pretend it's Nintendo's apology for not including rumble in their Wavebirds for the GCN.

Hey guys, I have a wii from 2006 (I think ...) and a couple months ago while playing Xenoblade, it froze, hard, had to shut down by holding the power button). I tried again, and it would freeze after playing the game a couple minutes. The disc was completely clean, I was so confused because I'd logged ~20 hours into that game already without problems. I tried again and it wouldn't even recognize the disc. So I tried Twilight Princess brand new out of the packaging and the wii wouldn't read that either. My brother had piled a bunch of his light fluffy duvets (blankets) ontop of the wii for a couple days before this happened, but the wii was off or in standby that whole time.

I did some research but I forget what it was that I found out, it was nothing definitive, all I remember is that people had to send their wii in for repairs. I would gladly do this if it didn't cost $80 while I can buy a brand new wii with New Super Mario Bros and a soundtrack cd for $100. I don't want to lose my Wiiware and VC games (I'm not okay with flushing money down the drain) or my saves either way...

Wat do?

[quote name='TeaBisquit']Hey guys, I have a wii from 2006 (I think ...) and a couple months ago while playing Xenoblade, it froze, hard, had to shut down by holding the power button). I tried again, and it would freeze after playing the game a couple minutes. The disc was completely clean, I was so confused because I'd logged ~20 hours into that game already without problems. I tried again and it wouldn't even recognize the disc. So I tried Twilight Princess brand new out of the packaging and the wii wouldn't read that either. My brother had piled a bunch of his light fluffy duvets (blankets) ontop of the wii for a couple days before this happened, but the wii was off or in standby that whole time.

I did some research but I forget what it was that I found out, it was nothing definitive, all I remember is that people had to send their wii in for repairs. I would gladly do this if it didn't cost $80 while I can buy a brand new wii with New Super Mario Bros and a soundtrack cd for $100. I don't want to lose my Wiiware and VC games (I'm not okay with flushing money down the drain) or my saves either way...

Wat do?[/QUOTE]
Though I don't have any good advice on your current situation (I would probably do the Nintendo repair just to save your digital games), though I know that when the Wii is in Standby mode (Wii Connect 24 turned on), it does get pretty hot even when the console is not turned on (LED is orange on the Wii console).

Personally I keep Wii Connect 24 disabled at all times, unless I want to check something that would require it being enabled (I think the News and Weather channels). Again, not going to help out your current situation, but I would definitely keep that in mind as a possible reason for failure.

I want to store NES, SNES, and N64 games on an SD card. Not sure what size I need. At least 2 gb. So should I get a regular SD card or a SDHC card? Are there any differences on Wii for SD vs SDHC? I thought I had read something about some Virtual Console games not being able to be put on SDHC, but now I can't find that info anywhere. NOTE: I don't want multiple SD cards.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to store NES, SNES, and N64 games on an SD card. Not sure what size I need. At least 2 gb. So should I get a regular SD card or a SDHC card? Are there any differences on Wii for SD vs SDHC? I thought I had read something about some Virtual Console games not being able to be put on SDHC, but now I can't find that info anywhere. NOTE: I don't want multiple SD cards.
I have a 2 GB card, and it has plenty of room still left on it. How many VC titles are we talking about?

Hi guys (sorry for this being a bit of a bump, but it's a pinned thread so I assume it's okay).  My Wii U pro controller has mysteriously stopped working.  When I plug it in, the charging light initially comes on.  But when I try to use it, even with it still plugged in, absolutely nothing happens.  No flashing blue lights, no battery light, nothing.  I have tried re-syncing it, but again nothing happens at all.  It's like it's either completely dead or it is not interacting with the console at all.  I've had it for a couple months and it worked fine until the last few days.  Has anyone else had a problem like this?  Would I take it into the store where I bought it (even though it was several months ago) or try to deal with going through Nintendo repair?  Thanks for the help.

I have a predicament.

So I have this USB External HDD...

Western Digital
UPC 718037731391

External

320GB

Portable

USB 2.0

And I'm following the general steps one needs to take in order to format it but I get stuck at step 3 according to nintendolife.com

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2012/11/guide_using_usb_storage_with_the_wii_u

Step 3: If you're using a drive with external power, make sure it's plugged into its own power outlet. If you're using a USB-powered drive, make sure you're using a Y-cable and both USB ports on the back of the Wii U.

I have The Y cable and everything.  The 320GB WD works on my PC.  and a USB flashdrive formats fine with my Wii U.  What can I do to make this work?

Things to Know:  Prior to powering on the console, I have it set up so 320 GB USB HDD is connect to Y cable , which is connected to Wii U.  No lights turn on but! If I power on the console first, then plug the Y cable to the Wii U and then finally the external HDD, the lights go on (but still wont format)

so weird :wall:

i think i put enough details lol

ok, I bought a wii at a garage sale and I noticed in the past people said that some wiis have games on them.

There are no SD cards in the slots, but is there a place on the wii's harddrive that they could be stored?

Or is it somehow related to the internet connection?

ok, I bought a wii at a garage sale and I noticed in the past people said that some wiis have games on them.

There are no SD cards in the slots, but is there a place on the wii's harddrive that they could be stored?

Or is it somehow related to the internet connection?
That would be on the Wii Shop Channel, they have a section on there for titles previously downloaded, linked to that specific console.

More than likely they would already be on the Channel selection, but in some cases people delete them / transfer them to an SD card and forget to redownload them.

This is not including those that are modded with the homebrew channel. Also in some cases, there could be a disc in the slot as well if you buy them used without powering up, but that is all there can possibly be.

Thank you! I just noticed wiis don't have ethernet. DOH! I'll have to look through my wii pile to see if I have an adapter somewhere.

OK:

I've hooked up my wii and updated it. I connected to the store and it says I have 0 coins. The only download it shows is nexflix. I assume there are no games on there, but what bubble in the menu would games be under? I found save files for 4 games, but I assume they are progress save files, not actual games.

Yeah if you got access to the Wii Shop Channel, it will show you all of the titles that were downloaded, so that is the trunk of the tree so to speak.  If you don't find them there, they won't be anywhere else, so it looks like no other games on that Wii.

bread's done
Back