One month to go...Are you convinced?

manalive

CAG Veteran
Was anyone skeptical at first about the Vita that recently came around and decided to reserve the system? Did any of the hands-on reactions from the clubs/demos here in the states help sway your decision?

I got a great deal on an import so I bit the bullet and I'll be getting it next week. I'll post impressions once I've given it a go.

It's a great piece of hardware, but I want a proper bundle for $250. Game and memory card included. Until then, I'll wait.

I was going to wait but just recently made the decision that I would pre-order the system at GameStop. Already put my 50 and I'll go all the way and put down the 200 plus tax. Possibly get a memory card (leaning towards 32gb cause it's the best deal of them all and I want that size). Keeping in mind I also have PSP withdrawal ever since trading mine in and want to get back those classics via PSN store.

[quote name='AndrewCP']I was going to wait but just recently made the decision that I would pre-order the system at GameStop. Already put my 50 and I'll go all the way and put down the 200 plus tax. Possibly get a memory card (leaning towards 32gb cause it's the best deal of them all and I want that size). Keeping in mind I also have PSP withdrawal ever since trading mine in and want to get back those classics via PSN store.[/QUOTE]

Same here I keep telling myself that I should wait but I've been excited since they announced it. I've been waiting too long to wait any longer. Plus I think about the times that I've been bored when I go certain places or long trips.

It's a great piece of hardware no doubt, and I LOVE portables... But I can't justify the cost at this point. I'll pull the trigger when more games trickle to it.

Vita will be the first piece of gaming hardware I'm going to pass on...and I've had quite a few questionable purchases in my day including the Virtual Boy, N-Gage/QD and the PSPgo. It doesn't take much to convince me to adopt a new system, but with Vita, I'm not convinced at all. Considering passing on Wii U also.

I really want a Vita and will very likely purchase one this year, but I'm waiting just so a few more Japanese-developed games I'm interested in are released before I part with the money. I'm hopeful that Gravity Rush, Persona 4 The Golden, & Final Fantasy Type-O will be out here by the fall.

Nope

There's nothing really that screams to me as a must get title, plus I feel like that must get title, when and if it comes, will eventually appear on PS3 or PS4, just like with a lot of PSP games.

Can't wait to get mine. Playing games on an iPhone or iPad without proper controls just suck. I am looking forward to a great portable experience.

I have been convinced solely due to my love of MLB The Show and what they're doing with cross-integration of the PS3 version. Right now that's the only game I plan to get simply because I know it would suck up all of my time and I could just wait for a sale on Uncharted and whatever else I may enjoy.

[quote name='KingBroly']Nope

There's nothing really that screams to me as a must get title, plus I feel like that must get title, when and if it comes, will eventually appear on PS3 or PS4, just like with a lot of PSP games.[/QUOTE]

I wish a lot of the PSP games came out on the ps3. The only ones I could think of are the god of collection and peace walker. I still feel like I'm going to purchase a lot of PSP games on PSN that I missed out on like Resistance Retribution, Patapon 3, Dissidia 012, Pursuit Force series, Killzone Series etc.

I agree with the other poster I'm tired of playing on my phone and I know I would the big 5 inch OLED screen

Really looking forward to the Vita. I have the Wifi system, 4 games (may get a couple more) and a 8 gig memory card preordered and paid in full.

I want the Vita so much. However, after seeing what happened with the 3DS, I'm just going to sit this out for a while.

My plan is to get this next Black Friday/Holiday season. Sony loves holiday bundles, so there's no doubt in my mind we'll see one for the Vita around the holidays. I have about $475 in Gamestop credit, so I figure if I'm patient, that will get me pretty far in the long run. And I'm sure Gamestop will be having plenty of B2G1 sales from now until December, so I can stock up on games and possibly a memory card before hand.

Yes, but two or three months after launch. My backlog is just to huge right now because of the last Steam sale, as well as some other left overs from last year. Final Fantasy XIII-2, Asura's Wrath, Mass Effect 3 are all being released soon.

Once things settle down and they hopefully start throwing in free gift cards or games with each Vita purchase, I'll be on board.

I cannot really afford it at this point in time, but I really think the vita is a huge step in the right direction for portable systems. I am going to have to try it out to be sure. If sony can manage the dual joysticks correctly, I will end up getting one eventually. I think that is one of the few things that many have lacked in the past. Still not sure about the rear touchpad thing though.

I want one very much but am worried about the lack of games coming out this year. Spending about 400 on a system and one game (uncharted) is not reasonable. I need to be convinced.

too many games, had it preordered, but decided I didn't have time to play anything. I really badly want Wipeout and Uncharted though. I think I better wait for a nice big price drop.

In my opinion it's worth owning one just for the excluves sony games. Personally I have a kindle and phone already but playing games I really want to play while on a long car ride is really appealing to me. I'm getting it for sure.

Right now, I'm not convinced, but I have around $200 I can put towards it. I'm still thinking I'll wait till Christmas, but once I see it, I may pull the trigger. No launch games interest me though.

I'm getting one eventually.It's going to be my dedicated Pac-Mac CE/DX machine.There needs to be more games for me to justify the $300.

Yeah, although if I didn't have enough credit to pick up a system and a few games, I probably wouldn't get one until P4 : The Golden was released.

I am getting the Vita at launch because of MLB The Show and being able to have one franchise I can play anywhere I want to. I have been thinking about waiting until March to see if any deals pop up in those few weeks but I think I am going to get one at launch along with Uncharted and a 8gb card.

[quote name='luettke10']I am getting the Vita at launch because of MLB The Show and being able to have one franchise I can play anywhere I want to. I have been thinking about waiting until March to see if any deals pop up in those few weeks but I think I am going to get one at launch along with Uncharted and a 8gb card.[/QUOTE]
same thing with fifa for me. I'm not paying $50 for uncharted though. signed up for gamefly so i can play that when it comes out. $50 is too much for when i can go get uncharted 3 again or uncharted 2 which is better imo. can anyone reccomend some good over the ear headphones that don't cost too much but sound good for gaming?

Nope. This thing will bomb right out of the gate and Sony will be forced to price drop it before Christmas. No way will people pay $40-$50 for a handheld game when they can get them for $1-$5 on their phones/tablets. It's a different marketplace. If Nintendo had to price drop, Sony will too.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Nope. This thing will bomb right out of the gate and Sony will be forced to price drop it before Christmas. No way will people pay $40-$50 for a handheld game when they can get them for $1-$5 on their phones/tablets. It's a different marketplace. If Nintendo had to price drop, Sony will too.[/QUOTE]

Are you really comparing handheld games to mobile games?

[quote name='GizmoGC']Nope. This thing will bomb right out of the gate and Sony will be forced to price drop it before Christmas. No way will people pay $40-$50 for a handheld game when they can get them for $1-$5 on their phones/tablets. It's a different marketplace. If Nintendo had to price drop, Sony will too.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. I don't think the "hardcore gamer" segment is enough for a system to depend on anymore. Granted, as long as mobile games rely solely on touch, I don't think they will be able to produce something like Uncharted, but the price difference is fairly extreme. I'll wait till my qualifiers are met.

My rule for consoles are to: 1. Wait 1 year; 2. Has to have at least 3 games that I would genuinely want to play (most people say 5, but I'm picky); 3. OPTIONAL - Buy on Black Friday. 4. OPTIONAL - Wait Till 1st redesign.

P.S. I'm not hoping that the PS Vita fails. It looks like a wonderful device and I really hope it succeeds. But I just don't see that happening due to iOS/Android. Congratualtions to all those getting the device and I truly hope you enjoy it.

Edit: I caved. Had extra money. :whistle2:#

Last edited by a moderator:

VASTLY different gameplay experiences there pal. If you think a crappy little $5 game is anywhere near the same caliber as a full fledged gaming title for a dedicated platform, then congrats you've brainwashed yourself into the iCult and shouldn't even be on this site.

[quote name='JG5253']Are you really comparing handheld games to mobile games?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Perceptions have changed. Why pay $40-$50 for a game when you can pay $1-$5? Why do you think the 3DS failed when it launched? Hint hint, everyone is buying games for their phones/tablets.

[quote name='Nogib']VASTLY different gameplay experiences there pal. If you think a crappy little $5 game is anywhere near the same caliber as a full fledged gaming title for a dedicated platform, then congrats you've brainwashed yourself into the iCult and shouldn't even be on this site.[/QUOTE]

If you think consumers will pay $40-$50 for a game you are living in 2005. People have moved on and those little $1-$5 games are what people are buying. Those "full-fledged" games you speak of are generally crap. Look at how bad Vita dropped in Japan already. The US launch will be even worse. Launching a handheld for $250 (more since it essentially requires a memory card) is suicide.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Yes. Perceptions have changed. Why pay $40-$50 for a game when you can pay $1-$5? Why do you think the 3DS failed when it launched? Hint hint, everyone is buying games for their phones/tablets.

If you think consumers will pay $40-$50 for a game you are living in 2005. People have moved on and those little $1-$5 games are what people are buying. Those "full-fledged" games you speak of are generally crap. Look at how bad Vita dropped in Japan already. The US launch will be even worse. Launching a handheld for $250 (more since it essentially requires a memory card) is suicide.[/QUOTE]

By that logic why go to a nice restaurant when you could justgo to mcdonalds? Touch sucks for gaming. Even if they made a controller for touch gaming its too late. Most devs wouldn't design a game for a periphpheal most users won't have. I love my phone but in my best yoda impression gaming platform its not

[quote name='el swordo']By that logic why go to a nice restaurant when you could justgo to mcdonalds? Touch sucks for gaming. Even if they made a controller for touch gaming its too late. Most devs wouldn't design a game for a periphpheal most users won't have. I love my phone but in my best yoda impression gaming platform its not[/QUOTE]

Your restaurant scenario makes no sense.

Again, look at the 3DS. It launched in a similar market during March (instead of February) at $249 and it bombed. That was a Nintendo handheld (that killed the PSP out here) and was backwards compatible (Vita is not). But now, a year later, you think the Vita will succeed where the 3DS did not? When phones/tablets are more prevalent and Sony already failed with a handheld out in America?

No one cares about the games when they have to spend $250 (+ more on a memory card) for a handheld video game system that's not even compatible with the otherone that was on the market for 6 years. It has gigantic failure written all over it. Sony should have launched at $149 and just scrapped the stupid 3G. Who needs 3G when your phone has it? The one that also plays thousands upon thousands of games readily available?

Controllers for iWhatever? I'd love one. Not sure why you think that matters as those games are selling like crazy. Crazy enough that Amazon launched a tablet that plays them. Funny, where is the Amazon Vita handheld system?

I'm convinced I want one, not convinced about how well it will do though.

I haven't preordered it yet because I am not sure if I will get it as a late birthday gift. If the wife gives me something on my birthday I'll probably order it the next day.

[quote name='GizmoGC']Your restaurant scenario makes no sense.

Again, look at the 3DS. It launched in a similar market during March (instead of February) at $249 and it bombed. That was a Nintendo handheld (that killed the PSP out here) and was backwards compatible (Vita is not). But now, a year later, you think the Vita will succeed where the 3DS did not? When phones/tablets are more prevalent and Sony already failed with a handheld out in America?

No one cares about the games when they have to spend $250 (+ more on a memory card) for a handheld video game system that's not even compatible with the otherone that was on the market for 6 years. It has gigantic failure written all over it. Sony should have launched at $149 and just scrapped the stupid 3G. Who needs 3G when your phone has it? The one that also plays thousands upon thousands of games readily available?

Controllers for iWhatever? I'd love one. Not sure why you think that matters as those games are selling like crazy. Crazy enough that Amazon launched a tablet that plays them. Funny, where is the Amazon Vita handheld system?[/QUOTE] With a phone you have a all around consumption device that happens to play games. But without physical controls the games will never be good enough for me to waste a lot of time on. As far as the kindle fire is concerned same thing. It's an all around device that games where a side though for. As far as releasing a controller for ios/android it wouldn't matter. There are already enough devices running these operating systems that developlers wouldn't release a game specifically designed for the controller. In order for my dream handheld gaming device to come true it needs physical controls and all games to support them. The vita is said device. Comparing Angry Birds to Uncharted is like comparing a steak to the mcdonalds $1 menu. so yes i think my comparison is fair. As far as tablets I see absolutely no point for them to exist.

I'll probably just attribute it to my feelings of looking for reasons to wait on buying this thing but

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/playstation-vita-cost-estimated-at-160-in-report/

With the Vita only estimated at costing $160 to produce, I'm now convincing myself that a price-drop on this thing is not only likely but almost a guarantee. Granted, that $160 doesn't take everything into account like R&D costs, etc. but even with that in mind there's a significant markup in this thing.

If this thing limps out of the gates here, as it did in Japan, then why wouldn't they cut the price fairly quickly? At $160 to produce, they could drop it $50 or more and still be making a profit.

Like I said, maybe this is just me looking for reasons to wait on buying it but I can't imagine them not taking this into account if sales are below estimates.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'll probably just attribute it to my feelings of looking for reasons to wait on buying this thing but

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/playstation-vita-cost-estimated-at-160-in-report/

With the Vita only estimated at costing $160 to produce, I'm now convincing myself that a price-drop on this thing is not only likely but almost a guarantee. Granted, that $160 doesn't take everything into account like R&D costs, etc. but even with that in mind there's a significant markup in this thing.

If this thing limps out of the gates here, as it did in Japan, then why wouldn't they cut the price fairly quickly? At $160 to produce, they could drop it $50 or more and still be making a profit.

Like I said, maybe this is just me looking for reasons to wait on buying it but I can't imagine them not taking this into account if sales are below estimates.[/QUOTE]I know i may not be like the majority of cagers out there but even if they told me a price drop would come 6 months from now by $50 I would still get it. $50 over 6 months is basically money i would probably waste on beer or some other frivolous thing.

[quote name='el swordo']With a phone you have a all around consumption device that happens to play games. But without physical controls the games will never be good enough for me to waste a lot of time on. As far as the kindle fire is concerned same thing. It's an all around device that games where a side though for. As far as releasing a controller for ios/android it wouldn't matter. There are already enough devices running these operating systems that developlers wouldn't release a game specifically designed for the controller. In order for my dream handheld gaming device to come true it needs physical controls and all games to support them. The vita is said device. Comparing Angry Birds to Uncharted is like comparing a steak to the mcdonalds $1 menu. so yes i think my comparison is fair. As far as tablets I see absolutely no point for them to exist.[/QUOTE]

For you. For you to care. Apparently most people don't care about physical controls as games on iOS/Android are selling just fine. While handheld games...well, not so much.

Your little comparison fails because you are assuming the Vita is a steak. It's not. It will fail right out of the game and when it does, that means less games/support. Just look at the PSP. Last year there was what, 2-3 games a month being released (I think I'm being too generous)? And that's with 6+ years of sales.

Your comment about tablets is hilarious. They are selling so damn well that stores are expending the sections that carry them.

Tablets = fail
Vita = success

This is probably the best comment i have read this year.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']I'll probably just attribute it to my feelings of looking for reasons to wait on buying this thing but

Like I said, maybe this is just me looking for reasons to wait on buying it but I can't imagine them not taking this into account if sales are below estimates.[/QUOTE]

Aside from the first few weeks of sales (which will probably be below 3DS anyway), it'll drop hard and fast. I fully expect them to price drop around September. Not only do they have competition from the 3DS, but the iPad 3 is likely to launch a few weeks after the Vita.

When this hits $100 and there are a handful of games worth playing, i'll bite. But $250+ for the current announced list of games...no way. Can't even play PSP games on the damn thing.

[quote name='GizmoGC']For you. For you to care. Apparently most people don't care about physical controls as games on iOS/Android are selling just fine. While handheld games...well, not so much.

Your little comparison fails because you are assuming the Vita is a steak. It's not. It will fail right out of the game and when it does, that means less games/support. Just look at the PSP. Last year there was what, 2-3 games a month being released (I think I'm being too generous)? And that's with 6+ years of sales.

Your comment about tablets is hilarious. They are selling so damn well that stores are expending the sections that carry them.

Tablets = fail
Vita = success

This is probably the best comment i have read this year.[/QUOTE]I'm not saying that the vita will sell better than tablets because it won't. I do think that it will be successful in it's own right though. People only buy games on iphone because they are cheap. Go anywhere over $10 and good luck getting anyone to buy it. And just because something sells well doesn't make it superior. Miller lite is the most popular beer in the United States, but people who actually care about how their beer tastes won't touch the shit. Same holds for the vita ,people who actually care about games will get the vita. People who just want to play angry birds will pass on it. They are totally different monsters. You get what you pay for when it comes to games. For me to play a game on my phone you would have to give it away and I still might not play it. On the other had I would gladly pay money to play the likes of Motorstorm on the go.

[quote name='el swordo']I know i may not be like the majority of cagers out there but even if they told me a price drop would come 6 months from now by $50 I would still get it. $50 over 6 months is basically money i would probably waste on beer or some other frivolous thing.[/QUOTE]

See, that's the thing though; Will the price drop happen in 6 months, or 4 months like the 3DS? Will the price drop amount be $50, or a whopping $80 like the the 3DS? Will there be any compensation to those that bought it at release or shortly thereafter (once again, like the 3DS)?

Look, I know Nintendo and Sony are different companies and the 3DS and Vita are different products with different capabilities but the comparisons can't be avoided. The simple fact is that dedicated portable video game consoles are seemingly on the ropes right now, as a dedicated portable video game console the Vita is launching into a troubled and uncertain market.

The funny thing is the 3DS launched with a very different mantra. Sure there were some questions about how it would do against iPod but everyone more or less figured it would thrive in spite of that because of the weight a Nintendo handheld carries with it.

The Vita is a sophomore outing and successor to the lesser selling console in the previous generation. I was careful not to mention that the PSP was not a failure because how can a console that's sold over 70 million be considered a failure? What I will point out though is that the PSP died off VERY quickly. It has been limping along for a while now but it was having its shelf space dramatically reduced as far back as 2 years ago whereas the DS still has significant shelf space almost 1 year after its successor launched. Similarly, I will acknowledge that the PSP and Vita are different consoles but Sony is positioning the Vita in a similar fashion as they positioned the PSP, namely that it's a portable console on par with its home console counterpart.

So, will the Vita be a complete failure along the lines of Virtual Boy, 32X, etc. where it's gone from shelves in 6 months? Not a chance. Is it a console that will need a relatively quick price cut in order to make it long-term? Yep. I would be shocked if Sony made it longer without a price cut than they did with the PS3 (almost 8 months).

[quote name='GizmoGC']Aside from the first few weeks of sales (which will probably be below 3DS anyway), it'll drop hard and fast. I fully expect them to price drop around September. Not only do they have competition from the 3DS, but the iPad 3 is likely to launch a few weeks after the Vita.

When this hits $100 and there are a handful of games worth playing, i'll bite. But $250+ for the current announced list of games...no way. Can't even play PSP games on the damn thing.[/QUOTE]

Not only that but, dare I say? 3DS has already found its killer app, in the form of Mario 3D Land... I would say between that and the price difference, the 3DS is very strong competitor to the Vita right now.

Like I said, maybe this is just me looking for reasons to wait on buying it but I can't imagine them not taking this into account if sales are below estimates.[/QUOTE]
It doesn't cost $160 to produce, though you'd have known that if you read the article:

Of course, none of this pricing includes the cost of research and development, testing, shipping, manufacturing, marketing, etc., so it's not exactly a perfect representation of the investment Sony has made with its latest handheld.
Unless they're going to sell the parts separately so you can build the system yourself, you're not going to be ale to get one for $160 for a while.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It doesn't cost $160 to produce, though you'd have known that if you read the article:

Unless they're going to sell the parts separately so you can build the system yourself, you're not going to be ale to get one for $160 for a while.[/QUOTE]

Did you read what I wrote:

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Did you read what I wrote:[/QUOTE]

Yea you said that there was significant markup and that they could turn a profit on each device with a price drop of $50 or more. If they aren't making a profit at $250 per (because R&D, marketing, etc do need to be paid for), how could they drop the price and make a profit?

[quote name='pjb16']Yea you said that there was significant markup and that they could turn a profit on each device with a price drop of $50 or more. If they aren't making a profit at $250 per (because R&D, marketing, etc do need to be paid for), how could they drop the price and make a profit?[/QUOTE]

Oh, so you work for Sony and know with certainty they aren't making a profit on each unit sold? If their R&D, production, and other associated costs equate to 1/3 of the selling price of their console, they need to go out of business for being completely inefficient in producing, marketing, and getting their products to the consumers.

Yes, I did read your post. You still clearly underestimate those extra costs when assuming that there's a significant markup like they're selling it at a huge profit.

Edit: And I see that you do work at Sony, RVB, with the way you're so sure that there's a huge profit margin on the Vita.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']Oh, so you work for Sony and know with certainty they aren't making a profit on each unit sold? If their R&D, production, and other associated costs equate to 1/3 of the selling price of their console, they need to go out of business for being completely inefficient in producing, marketing, and getting their products to the consumers.[/QUOTE]

I don't know for certainty, that's why I used an "if" in my statement. Likewise though, you can't be certain they are having a significant markup in their price or that they are making any profit at all on each device.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yes, I did read your post. You still clearly underestimate those extra costs when assuming that there's a significant markup like they're selling it at a huge profit.[/QUOTE]
I challenge yo to show me where I said "huge profit." I did say that with a price cut of $50 they could still be making a profit on it but I never once said they were making a huge profit on the thing because not one of us knows what the other associated costs to the Vita are. Then you've gotta figure there's even more profit on the 3G model because a 3G and GPS antenna certainly don't amount to an additional $50 cost.

My argument then is the same as it is now, they have room for a price cut if this only has approx. $160 in parts in it. You can sit and nitpick my posts as much as you want but the simple fact that there's a 50% markup between parts costs and selling price for the lowest model is all the evidence I need that they've got room for a price cut and potentially still making a profit on each unit even with a price cut.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yes, I did read your post. You still clearly underestimate those extra costs when assuming that there's a significant markup like they're selling it at a huge profit.

Edit: And I see that you do work at Sony, RVB, with the way you're so sure that there's a huge profit margin on the Vita.[/QUOTE]

You don't need to work for a company to understand that associated production, shipping, R&D costs, etc. shouldn't equate to such a significant percentage of the selling cost of a product. It's inefficient and illadvised particularly for a company that is currently facing such tough times.

[quote name='el swordo']I'm not saying that the vita will sell better than tablets because it won't. I do think that it will be successful in it's own right though. People only buy games on iphone because they are cheap. Go anywhere over $10 and good luck getting anyone to buy it. And just because something sells well doesn't make it superior. [/QUOTE]

It could sell 5 unit and sony fans would call it successful. When it's in last place, it's not successful.

If people won't pay $10 for an iPhone game, why would they pay $50 for a Vita?

bread's done
Back