One More Coupon - 40% off one item at Borders.com (exp. 05/30/11)

ssjmichael

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
05/27/11 Update:
Another new coupon though only 40% off, good from 05/27/11 to 05/30/11: BXG7422N

Borders has a new online coupon code good for 50% off a single item: BRR5721N Good for Today (5/25) only!

(this was the old code posted: BLP2566Y)

The code is valid from 5/20 - 5/23 but appears to be live now. Use ISG414XP for free shipping

Some Examples (all prices before shipping/taxes on 50% off coupon, 40% off prices higher)

LOTR: Extended edition on Blu for $62.49: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=794043140617

Kubrick collection (blu) - $72.49: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=883929165834

Transformers complete collection $43.49: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=826663125368

Batman Beyond Complete LE set - $49.50: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=883929104444

Justice League Complete Series - $49.50: http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=883929073726

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Ratchet & CAG']Is this Additonal 10% Off from Borders only if you sign up for the Borders Rewards PLUS for $20?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

[quote name='arcane93']Yeah, you should be able to. They don't seem to really track in-store coupon usage -- I've used the same coupon multiple times in-store in the past without any problem. You'll only be able to use the online coupons once each, though.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. Guess it's a matter of finding something actually worthwhile in-store though. :lol: Lots of the good stuff seems to be only available online or only available as pre-orders (such as LOTR).

Pre-ordered LOTR with my second coupon. Hopefully no order cancellations or anything silly like that.

[quote name='imacgod']Pre-ordered LOTR with my second coupon. Hopefully no order cancellations or anything silly like that.[/QUOTE]

They made good on the last round of 50% off coupons. My Tron Movie Bundle was shipped out as soon as they had it back in stock. There are plenty of people who used that last coupon to preorder LoTR & Star Wars who are still waiting. This round will just add to that growing group.

These coupons are becoming the best free advertising they get all year. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to give Borders my money for. They seem to know what they're doing, and I think I know, too: trying to stay in business.

$27.50 plus tax/shipping for True Blood Season 3 on Blu..!

http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?sku=883929156498

[quote name='Kerig']They made good on the last round of 50% off coupons. My Tron Movie Bundle was shipped out as soon as they had it back in stock. There are plenty of people who used that last coupon to preorder LoTR & Star Wars who are still waiting. This round will just add to that growing group.

These coupons are becoming the best free advertising they get all year. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to give Borders my money for. They seem to know what they're doing, and I think I know, too: trying to stay in business.[/QUOTE]
It's no longer working on the STAR WARS BLU-RAY COLLECTION... :cry:

For anime fans, Code Geass season 1 would be ~$20 with coupon.

It's on backorder but the coupon still works.

Girl Who Leapt Through Time bluray for ~$16 is great too.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Part 5 [2 Discs] [Blu-ray] Pre-order = $23.31

Prodigy: World’s On Fire [2 Discs] [Blu-ray/ CD] Pre-order = $9.53

Buster Keaton: The Short Films Collection: 1920-1923 [3 Discs] [Blu-ray] Pre-order = $23.31

TO Film Collection: Elliptical Orbit/ Symbiotic Planet [2 Discs] [Blu-ray/ DVD] Pre-order = $14.83

Versus [Blu-ray] = $10.59

OneChanbara: Bikini Samurai Squad [Blu-ray] = $10.59

[quote name='opterasis']I'm assuming it doesn't work on out of stock items? It would have been nice to snag the spiderman trilogy.[/QUOTE]

Did you actually try it? I've used coupons on out of stock items before without problems (that's not to say that it will work with this coupon).

That being said, be careful about buying out of stock items from Borders. It can sometimes take them a very long time to fulfill the order.

[quote name='Kerig']These coupons are becoming the best free advertising they get all year. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out what to give Borders my money for. They seem to know what they're doing, and I think I know, too: trying to stay in business.[/QUOTE]

Actually, I have to disagree completely. They've been doing coupons like this for ages, so if anything, it's more likely a sign that they haven't learned a damn thing from all they've gone through. It's almost like they think that if they keep making the same mistakes over and over again, it's going to suddenly work for them one of these times.

At 50% off, I guarantee they're wiping out a good part of their profit margin, if not taking a loss on some items. Now with the Borders Plus program, they have to take another 10% off on top of that for many buyers. It might be a good idea if it really worked as advertising for them or as a loss leader that brought in a lot of new repeat customers after the coupon, but clearly it hasn't been successful enough in the past to keep things going for them. If anything, it might be having the opposite effect -- I know that I, for one, pretty much only shop at Borders when I have a good coupon at this point, and I suspect I'm not alone in that.

That being said, I've pretty much lost all sympathy for Borders as a company at this point. Those who don't learn from their mistakes are bound to repeat them again and again, until the point that they fail entirely. I certainly hope that they can keep going and keep making offers like this for a long time to come, but I'm not going to be sad or surprised if they fail either.

Thanks for this heads up OP, i just ordered LOTR for $66 which is almost $20 less than Amazon. Hooray!

Batman Beyond for $50 is so freaking tempting

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tranceFusion']There's two steps to charging a card... Authorization and Settlement.

When pre-ordering you will always get hit with an Authorization which allows the merchant to verify that the card is valid.

In a few days the authorization will drop off and the available balance will be restored IF the merchant doesn't settle the transaction (which they shouldn't, until they ship the item).[/QUOTE]

This is simply not true. Many merchants (amazon for instance) don't process the card in any way, shape, or form until the shipping process starts. Others, like best buy, fully charge the card ASAP, no matter how far in advance the pre-order is. The original question had three parts, but was basically asking if they access the card as soon as the order is placed, and the answer is yes, they do.

[quote name='mietha']This is simply not true. Many merchants (amazon for instance) don't process the card in any way, shape, or form until the shipping process starts. Others, like best buy, fully charge the card ASAP, no matter how far in advance the pre-order is. The original question had three parts, but was basically asking if they access the card as soon as the order is placed, and the answer is yes, they do.[/QUOTE]Actually, Best Buy doesn't charge the card immediately, they put a repeating authorization against the card for any order that isn't fulfilled in some fashion, be it due to pre-order, backorder or the like. Any time the order is fulfilled in some way, be it in-store pickup readiness, online shipment, or the like, it's changed from an authorization to a charge.

If you have an item that's on a longish backorder or pre-order, Best Buy will keep repeatedly putting an authorization on the card for the purchase amount, until the order is fulfilled.

Got Dragonball Z Kai volume 4 on blu-ray for $14, using the email coupon and in-store pickup.
Chasing Amy blu-ray for $10 using the half-off code from this thread along with the free shipping. Thanks CAGs!

[quote name='shrike4242']Any time the order is fulfilled in some way, be it in-store pickup readiness, online shipment, or the like, it's changed from an authorization to a charge.[/QUOTE]

Actually, my understanding has always been that with in-store pickup, it remains an authorization until you actually pick up the item.

[quote name='arcane93']Actually, my understanding has always been that with in-store pickup, it remains an authorization until you actually pick up the item.[/QUOTE]I've seen Best Buy pretty consistently charge my card after the item has been marked as ready for in-store pickup and not picked up the item until the charge has hit. If it's pretty quickly after the order is marked for pickup, it's a moot point, though for items I've picked up on day 5 or 6 after pickup notification, the charge hit beforehand.

[quote name='shrike4242']Actually, Best Buy doesn't charge the card immediately, they put a repeating authorization against the card for any order that isn't fulfilled in some fashion, be it due to pre-order, backorder or the like. Any time the order is fulfilled in some way, be it in-store pickup readiness, online shipment, or the like, it's changed from an authorization to a charge.

If you have an item that's on a longish backorder or pre-order, Best Buy will keep repeatedly putting an authorization on the card for the purchase amount, until the order is fulfilled.[/QUOTE]

Exactly.. Best buy keeps re-authorizing your card so you don't have access to the funds until the order is fulfilled.

Also, Amazon DOES authorize a $1 charge on an order. They may not do this if you have a card saved to your account. They also re-authorize the full amount a few days ahead of the pre-order shipping.

Given that there is no way to determine if the account information is valid without obtaining an authorization, it is to your benefit to have an auth made on your card - if you mistype a number, do you want to wait months to find out and have your pre-order delayed/cancelled?

What exactly a merchant is allowed or finds financially feasible of doing with your card is dependent on their contract with a payment gateway or processor... and they may use different processors for different cards so your experience using an AmEx might not match another person's experience using a Visa. This is because banks want to minimize the number of authorizations that are permitted at a different price than the settlement since the additional funds might not be available at the time of settlement, although this is a necessity for restaurants (variable tip amount) and gas stations (who auth prior to pumping). They also don't want to eat overhead of doing a bunch of authorizations that fall off/never settle if they don't have to (like in the Best Buy case).

It's also possible that your card issuer knows that a $1 auth is from a gas station or pre-order and won't be settled for the same amount, so they don't reduce your available funds immediately.

I guess my point here is - regardless of another user's reported experience, you should always assume your available funds will get reduced by your purchase amount, but that you won't actually be settled/billed/assessed interest until the item actually ships.

[quote name='ssjmichael']So weird, I was just looking at pictures of the Ecto-1, I go to this thread and see this.

Maybe it's a sign! That set looks really amazing btw, looks like it's worth the price you paid even.[/QUOTE]

It's worth it honestly. The show was a classic and had it's moments...however the dreaded Slimer shows are included as well, but that's towards the end. You can tell the quality drop in story lines when JMS left the show :(

[quote name='Backlash2332x']If you're like me and just want LOTR blu collection and don't care about the extended, you can pick it up for less than $16 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Where do you see that at?

Thx so much TC! Got Justice League complete set for $54 shipped plus free priority shipping! I missed out on a previous deal from Amazon but I think this deal was even better than that!

Man, I went to Borders yesterday to use the in-store coupon and my Borders Bucks, figuring on grabbing a Criterion blu-ray, and they didn't have a single Criterion title that I didn't already have. It looks like they haven't even gotten any of the new ones in since Broadcast News. Really annoying because there are several more recent releases that I really want. :bomb:

I ended up grabbing the blu-ray of The Illusionist (the animated movie from last year, not the earlier Edward Norton/Paul Giamatti film) instead. I guess I'm happy with that (I wanted it, and I doubt there will be any really great deals on it anytime soon), but still kind of annoying.

Also of possible interest, they're doing a clearance of some of their CDs, DVDs, and blu-rays for 40% off. They had a table in the middle of the store with them -- some pretty random selections; some decent ones, but nothing that I felt particularly compelled to buy (a few goods ones that I already own). I'm pretty sure that they're doing this chain-wide, as I got an email about it yesterday. Note that the coupon will not stack with the sale -- if you want to use the coupon for one of these titles, you'll still get the item for cheaper (50% off of original price vs. 40% off), but you won't get both discounts.

arcane93, I've found that the in-store selection of Criterion Blu-Ray titles are very weak compared to their online offerings, with a number of them being on-line only, such as Che. The main Borders I hit have only a small number of Criterions, and those that they have are a mix of DVD and BD titles.

In the St. Louis area, there's only one Borders store that I've found that has any decent selection of Criterions, as well as movies in general. It's their "flagship" store for the area, which is a two-story Borders in a more upscale area of St. Louis county. Problem is for me, it's a 15-20 minute drive from either work or home.

In comparison, one of the larger Barnes and Nobles stores near to me, they have a very good selection of Criterions, especially BD versions, so that's a better option for me.

[quote name='shrike4242']arcane93, I've found that the in-store selection of Criterion Blu-Ray titles are very weak compared to their online offerings, with a number of them being on-line only, such as Che. The main Borders I hit have only a small number of Criterions, and those that they have are a mix of DVD and BD titles.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, they were carrying a pretty good selection around here for a long while -- not every title by any means, and they didn't tend to restock the older ones after a certain point, but they had them.

Then, it changed a little while ago to where they wouldn't get the titles until several weeks after the release date, but they would still get them eventually. Oddly, they would usually get the DVD version (for those titles that were new releases on both formats) in a couple of weeks before the blu-ray version.

Now, it appears they've stopped getting them at all. I was hoping they'd at least have White Material (which came out five weeks ago) by now, but no such luck. According to their website, anyway, none of the local stores have it.

B&N has definitely been much more my go-to source for Criterion titles (around here, they tend to have most of them, though now that the catalog is getting larger, I expect that to change), but in the past I was at least able to count on being able to find something at Borders when there was a coupon like this. Not any more, apparently.

[quote name='avwjase']Where do you see that at?[/QUOTE]

Can't really link it since I'm on my phone. Just go to the new LOTR preorder page, and it should show up in related items.

[quote name='Backlash2332x']Can't really link it since I'm on my phone. Just go to the new LOTR preorder page, and it should show up in related items.[/QUOTE]

That's the Ralph Bakshi animated movie from 1978 (which is $9.99 on Amazon), not the theatrical trilogy. As far as I can find, they don't have the theatrical trilogy available on the Borders site at all anymore.

[quote name='arcane93']That's the Ralph Bakshi animated movie from 1978 (which is $9.99 on Amazon), not the theatrical trilogy. As far as I can find, they don't have the theatrical trilogy available on the Borders site at all anymore.[/QUOTE]

fuck my life. Oops lol.

Sorry if i got any of you guys' hopes up.

[quote name='Backlash2332x']fuck my life. Oops lol.

Sorry if i got any of you guys' hopes up.[/QUOTE]

For what it's worth, even though the movie had some serious flaws (not the least of which being attempting to fit the first book and a half into a two hour movie -- it was supposed to be the first of two movies -- and that the second movie was never made), it's got some pretty cool animation and is worth watching for that. I plan to pick it up eventually.

[quote name='arcane93']For what it's worth, even though the movie had some serious flaws (not the least of which being attempting to fit the first book and a half into a two hour movie -- it was supposed to be the first of two movies -- and that the second movie was never made), it's got some pretty cool animation and is worth watching for that. I plan to pick it up eventually.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't pick it up on BD, since it appears the encode isn't great, and it wasn't great source material to begin with.

I think if you want it, it might be best to get it on DVD (yes, I know, I mentioned DVD) and go with it that way.

[quote name='shrike4242']I wouldn't pick it up on BD, since it appears the encode isn't great, and it wasn't great source material to begin with.

I think if you want it, it might be best to get it on DVD (yes, I know, I mentioned DVD) and go with it that way.[/QUOTE]

True, but like I said, I want to get it eventually, not necessarily right away. I'll hold out until it's $5.99 or $6.99 on Amazon (which I'm sure it will hit eventually) and grab it then. Even if the blu-ray is only a marginal improvement over the DVD, might as well go with it at that point.

Mostly, though, I was just trying to make him feel better about his accidental purchase (assuming it's too late to cancel). :)

[quote name='GreatDoink']Keep getting a checkout error when trying to use the coupon code for LOTR. Anyone else having issues?[/QUOTE]

I'm having trouble too. I got the same error message. I was able to order a bunch of dvds then it stopped working. Hopefully they'll fix it before the sale ends.

[quote name='arcane93']Whether it's a deal or not depends on what you're getting -- it's best if you have several options in mind, but there are definitely deals to be found.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money because I've bought a bunch of stuff recently, so I just picked up a CD that I wanted, the remastered deluxe edition of Julian Cope's "Jehovahkill". $30.99 on Borders, the coupon and Borders Plus took it down to $13.94 (with free shipping from the Borders Plus). It's $25.63 on Amazon, so that's a pretty good deal.

I seriously considered grabbing a Criterion blu-ray, but we're getting fairly close to the B&N sale at this point (less than two months to go!), and I'll more than likely be able to get a better deal on those there.[/QUOTE]

This B&N sale you speak of could you elaborate? I was thinking of getting Che and 7 Samurai with the coupon for $26.97 shipped. The B&N sale can beat that for those blu's. I'm in no rush so I was just wondering.

I was looking for some comic collections,

It's only 50% if the item doesn't have an online discount already, then it depends on the price. Around $6-$15

Normal $20-$30 books are like $2 more than on Amazon to start out, then you get like $6 off with the coupon and tax adds $3-4 back on.

I was going to grab the Walter Simonson Thor Omnibus for only $62.50 versus Amazon's $77. By the time you add tax and consider Border's free 2-8 day shipping against my free 2-day shipping at Amazon it doesn't seem worth it.

Did anyone else grab any good comic/graphic novel deals?

[quote name='RallyV']I was able to order a bunch of dvds then it stopped working. Hopefully they'll fix it before the sale ends.[/QUOTE]

A bunch of DVDs? Were you able to apply the same coupon multiple times on the same account, or were you using several separate accounts? Usually their online system is pretty good at only allowing you to use a coupon once, though I haven't tried it with this one.

[quote name='Commander0Zero']This B&N sale you speak of could you elaborate? I was thinking of getting Che and 7 Samurai with the coupon for $26.97 shipped. The B&N sale can beat that for those blu's. I'm in no rush so I was just wondering.[/QUOTE]

Well . . . For the past couple of years, B&N has had a Criterion sale twice a year, in July and November. 50% off Criterion DVDs and blu-rays, plus an additional 10% off with a B&N membership. So basically the same as this deal so far. Where B&N gets better, though, is that they have pretty much always, at some point in the sale, had an additional coupon for another 15% to 30% off which stacked with those discounts (usually not right at the beginning of the sale, but a week or two into it). Last time around, I was getting Criterion blu-rays (the normal $39.99 ones, not the more expensive titles that you mention) for $13.50 each once all the discounts were applied.

Now of course, this is based on a few assumptions -- First, that they'll actually have the sale again this July. There's no guarantee, but a B&N employee told me last time that corporate management had sent out a memo to all employees that called the Criterion sale "highly successful". Presumably if they're happy with it, they'll do it again. Second, that there will be another coupon at some point in the sale. Again, no guarantees on that, and no guarantees how much it will be. B&N isn't as frequent with the coupons as Borders. That being said, it's been the case that there's been something each of the last several times.

[quote name='arcane93']A bunch of DVDs? Were you able to apply the same coupon multiple times on the same account, or were you using several separate accounts? Usually their online system is pretty good at only allowing you to use a coupon once, though I haven't tried it with this one.[/QUOTE]

After each order I would close the browser and clear the cookies then sign in as a guest. Worked every time until I got the site error message.

Hmm, I just tried to pre-order Baka and Test (Blu-Ray), but the discount didn't work, but it works for pre-ordering Fullmetal Alchemist (Blu-Ray). Anyone know what restriction would do this o_O?

[quote name='skullflame']Hmm, I just tried to pre-order Baka and Test (Blu-Ray), but the discount didn't work, but it works for pre-ordering Fullmetal Alchemist (Blu-Ray). Anyone know what restriction would do this o_O?[/QUOTE]

It worked with me for Samurai Champloo but not Vampire Bund or Gungrave. I don't see any rhyme or reason to it, but at least it works with some titles, I suppose.

And that's why a bunch of their store closed. Surprisingly enough, their online site is cheaper than their retail stores.

Picked up Ouran on blu-ray, $12-15 cheaper than RightStuf and Amazon.

[quote name='bredbu']I am amazed at how overpriced this website is :( its crazy[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I only buy from them when they have coupons like this. Fortunately, coupons are pretty frequent (though they're usually 33% or 40%). Even then, though, you have to be selective, as better deals can frequently be found elsewhere. But, with the coupons, there are good deals to be found.

Speaking of which, I used the second coupon to order a copy of the Solaris blu-ray that's coming out on Tuesday, because I don't want to wait until July for it. Turns out that, for whatever reason, Borders thinks that the list price on Criterion blu-rays (at least that one and several others I looked at) is $37.99 (rather than $39.99), so it came out to be a little better deal than expected. After the coupon and Borders plus, it came out to $17.09.

[quote name='Benisjamin']Did anyone else grab any good comic/graphic novel deals?[/QUOTE]

Yes, I used both codes and ordered a Starman Omnibus and The Great Darkness Saga, averaging out to twenty dollars a piece. I thought at first that they'd reject the coupon on the second order, but I guess these were legitimately two different coupons.

Amazon's typically 33-37% off cover price on comics (although it can be a lot more on preorders) so these 40-50% off coupons are worth it at Borders, especially in-store or with free shipping.

bread's done
Back