Online catelog of video game packaging contents?

Vinny

CAGiversary!
Feedback
216 (100%)
Does anyone know of a website or websites where I can get info on the contents originally included with games? I'm talking about stuff like posters, maps, stickers, etc. and not the warning leaflets and advertisement paperwork.

A lot of games from Atlus and Working Designs and many Gameboy/NES/SNES games back in the day came with bonus goodies.

For example, this website is pretty good for getting info one GB games (though the selection is limited). If you look up Metroid II, you'll see that it originally came with a poster.

Basically, I want something similar for Saturn games since I'm just starting out.

Hum interesting. I would imagine it someone would have to have really kept a solid catalog and log of what was included.

Not sure if most companies used DB's to track this stuff, so you'd have to dig really deep.

[quote name='binici']Hum interesting. I would imagine it someone would have to have really kept a solid catalog and log of what was included.

Not sure if most companies used DB's to track this stuff, so you'd have to dig really deep.[/QUOTE]

That's part of the problem... since WD doesn't exist anymore. Haha. And I doubt any company actually kept track of that stuff.

It's not hard finding out the info for newer games, you can just find them on eBay and look through a few auctions to find out. But with older games, it's not so easy as most people just list game+case+manual as complete.

Vinny I hadn't thought about a DB like that. That would really be helpful. I guess about the closest thing would be if you found enough people who bought their games new and kept everything together. I started collecting in 1998 right when Saturn was being phased out and the prices were falling. I kept everything in every game I ever got new so if you find people who did the same you could probably build a DB like that. Unfortunately when some of the best games for the system were coming out they were in such low supply that they were hard to get even back then. I remember getting Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shinning Force III at Toys R Us and after their first batch they never did re-stock. I missed getting Burning Rangers because of that.

It would be interesting if such a site existed. The videogame price guides don't include box content info?

http://www.videogamepricecharts.com/

Apparently not. They should wikify that website.. Are there similar websites wikified? (20 years ago I never could have imagined I'd write that last sentence)

[quote name='SegaGT']Vinny I hadn't thought about a DB like that. That would really be helpful. I guess about the closest thing would be if you found enough people who bought their games new and kept everything together. I started collecting in 1998 right when Saturn was being phased out and the prices were falling. I kept everything in every game I ever got new so if you find people who did the same you could probably build a DB like that. Unfortunately when some of the best games for the system were coming out they were in such low supply that they were hard to get even back then. I remember getting Panzer Dragoon Saga and Shinning Force III at Toys R Us and after their first batch they never did re-stock. I missed getting Burning Rangers because of that.[/QUOTE]

Hey, at least you got some games... I just started a few months ago and I'm just shaking my head at all the things I missed. I concentrated solely on the PS1 during those days and then moved on to the PS2. Only now am I realizing that that I missed out on the 2/3 (Saturn and SNES) of the Golden Age of RPGs (the other 1/3 being the PS1).

Oh well, it'll be a hopelessly troublesome and expensive quest I guess...

[quote name='Vinny']Hey, at least you got some games... I just started a few months ago and I'm just shaking my head at all the things I missed. I concentrated solely on the PS1 during those days and then moved on to the PS2. Only now am I realizing that that I missed out on the 2/3 (Saturn and SNES) of the Golden Age of RPGs (the other 1/3 being the PS1).

Oh well, it'll be a hopelessly troublesome and expensive quest I guess...[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not... Just go around to the local flea markets and thrift stores. I find gems here and there. Recently found some Genesis games in excellent condition for a song.

There are still closets full of old gaming goodness... You just need to be at the flea market when Mom decides all that "crap has to go!"...

[quote name='Vinny']Hey, at least you got some games... I just started a few months ago and I'm just shaking my head at all the things I missed. I concentrated solely on the PS1 during those days and then moved on to the PS2. Only now am I realizing that that I missed out on the 2/3 (Saturn and SNES) of the Golden Age of RPGs (the other 1/3 being the PS1).

Oh well, it'll be a hopelessly troublesome and expensive quest I guess...[/QUOTE]

For me it was the other way around. Back then I was way into Sega and barely got a Playstation for a handful of games realizing too late that there were a ton of great RPG's. I snaged up Thousand Arms and mailed off to get the OST CD. Got Lunar, and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue with the Ghaleon Puppet with pre-order. WD was incredible but who can forget the FF games? I think Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed was the one game that made me break down and buy the Playstation but the RPG's were what I ended up loving on the system.

[quote name='venturin']Perhaps not... Just go around to the local flea markets and thrift stores. I find gems here and there. Recently found some Genesis games in excellent condition for a song.

There are still closets full of old gaming goodness... You just need to be at the flea market when Mom decides all that "crap has to go!"...[/QUOTE]

I've given up on that route.. I live in a fairly large town but the populace here is mostly made up of demographics who tend to like the sports games and generally popular stuff. All I've ever found at flea markets, garage sales, and Craigslist is garbage and over priced garbage.:lol:

[quote name='SegaGT']For me it was the other way around. Back then I was way into Sega and barely got a Playstation for a handful of games realizing too late that there were a ton of great RPG's. I snaged up Thousand Arms and mailed off to get the OST CD. Got Lunar, and Lunar 2 Eternal Blue with the Ghaleon Puppet with pre-order. WD was incredible but who can forget the FF games? I think Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed was the one game that made me break down and buy the Playstation but the RPG's were what I ended up loving on the system.[/QUOTE]

I think you got the better end of the deal. Many PS1 RPGs are slowly showing up on the PSN for $5-10 or see re-releases on the PSP (Valkyrie Profile, Persona). Many of them have lost a lot of their value even without re-releases.

bread's done
Back