Online Movie Rental Help

goldengraham

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
My parents used to have the Blockbuster $20 a month unlimited DVD rental pass. But after a mnoth or two, their stock has goten pretty old and my mom wants more variety. So she was thinking of using an online company. If any of you guys have used these services before, share the company and quality, experiences, anything that might help. Thanks in advance.

I have been a Netflix subscriber since January 2004. I went on their site and signed up for a month-long free trial. Excellent service. They have a distribution center a few hours from my city, and I receive movies quickly. If they ship a movie on a Monday, I get it Tuesday or Wednesday. Same way when I send a movie back. They have great customer service and excellent selection. My family and I have been able to watch a lot of cool stuff. I'm still a subscriber, even though they raised the price to $21.99/month from $19.99/month. It's still worth it.

If you decide to sign up for Netflix, here's a tip. Worked for me and some of my friends, but I don't know if it works, though. It's worth a shot, even if you want to keep the service after the free trial:

Go through the free trial (don't know if it is still 1 month, though). The day before your free trial ends, cancel your membership. On the cancellation confirmation page, they might offer you a discounted rate if you stay. I was able to get 6 months at $14.99/month because I was going to cancel after the free trial (even though I was going to stay anyway. A friend told me about this deal).

Netflix is awesome. I just finished in 2 days, 2 movies. tomorrow I should get my third. Out of over 30 moives I've gotten in a few months, only one was bad (Versus was cracked), but they took t back no hassle. They have an incredible selection, and is well worth the 20 a month.

Everybody I've talked to seems to agree that Netflix is the standard and best when it comes to online renting. There's a short trial period if you want to try it out, so why not at least give it a spin...

Been with Netflix since May 2001. They had a spate of slow shipping middle-2002, but since then, it's been 1-2 days, and they opened a distro center about 100 miles from me, so I get stuff to and from them pretty quicklyI think they claim that 85% of customers are within 1 shipping day. I have dropped stuff in my mailbox on Saturday, and had Netflix recieve it on Monday.
I have had problems with two disks:
One was shattered. Obviously it happened in the mail, because it was in pieces.
One was slightly cracked.
I did have them send me the absolutely wrong disk one time. Other than that, I've really enjoyed Netflix. And it's a great way to catch TV series you're not sure if you want to buy, but you want to check out, and not worry about late fees [I'm watching Tour of Duty now, and each disk has 4-5 episodes on it, so it takes me a little while to get through them.] And of course the selection beats thepants off of Blockbuster.
Walmart.com does do an online rental service. They are admittedly cheaper. I haven't tried them yet--some of the titles on my Netflix list, WM doesn't have, and I'd prefer to support the underdog/innovator in this case than the huge Glomco of Walmart.

I'll offer another vote for Netflix. I use them mainly for anime (about 90% of what I rent). The only problem I've had is that they sometimes delay shipment on my movies. It appears that they assign a distribution center to you, and if you request something that's not kept in stock there, it sometimes add a day to when it ships (that's in addition to the extra transit time). I've had several that will say 'Shipping today' but then ship a day later (and once two days later). But that's sort of nitpicking.

Customer service seems pretty good. I've been with them since March, and have had probably a half dozen discs arrive broken or otherwise unplayable. You can report it as such and they immediately send out a replacement rather than waiting for you to get the broken disc back to them.

One other thing. Their selection is great, but it's not quite complete. So if you go looking for something that's relatively rare, you might not always find it. But it still beats B&M rental places.

My vote has to go with Netflix. Their selection of movies is excellent. I have never had a problem with any of their dvd's. I've been a member for 2 years. I strongly recommend using them. BB has the free 2 week membership...but check around online, you might be able to get 1 or 2 months free.

Yep, I've been a Netflix member for over a year. I also just signed up for the BB membership too....it's a few dollars cheaper, we will see how the service is over the free month.

I'll give another vote to Netflix, I've been a member since September 2000, I'm extremly happy. Over this time, any issue that I had was quickly resolved. I've had the wrong disc shipped, a couple of scratched unplayable discs, stuff like that. For $22 a month, it's worth it in my opinion.

i used netflix for years too
BIG selection and now they have a ton of distribution centers in every state that u now get movies in 1-2days 99% of the time

I Just signed up with the blockbuster rental plan I got my first movie today and noticed that the distribution center is in miami florida. SO only a few hours away from me.

SO it should be quick back and forth with them

The VERY cool thing about the blockbuster deal IMO is they give you 2 free instore rental coupons EVERY month .

I think this AND 17.99/month (if u sign up with promotion code COOPER)
is going to make me stay with blockbuster over netflix.

I also tried walmart but they had a much smaller selection then netflix.

Netflix has been around for 4-5 years now so they obviously will have the biggest and fastest process for a while longer until Blockbuster and walmart catches up

So they will try to win the battle of the online rental places by using a lower price per month compared to netflix.

Try the blockbuster plan

Use promotion code COOPER when u sign up to get 4 weeks free and 17.99/month (instead of 2 weeks and 19.99)

You will get to print out your 2 monthly rental coupons right away too.

i got everyone in my family to try them out because its such a great deal IMO and its FREE (4 weeks)

I have had Netflix for a few months now, and it's been just about perfect. I had a problem with only 2 DVDs (one wouldn't play at all, and another was a double-sided one, and only one side didn't work). Lately shipping has been longer than usual (it used to be 1 day, 2 max) and it's been 2 days since my last movies shipped and I still haven't gotten them, but they supposedly shipped on time, so the problem could be at the Post Office (it seems that I get a lot of stuff a day late, such as magazines).

Netflix only has a 2 week free trial, though.

I like netflix but I live in a big city in ohio (1.5 million people) and it still took me 3 days to get a movie and them a week to get it back. I liked them but shipping was so slow for me and they had a distro that is about an hour drive in indiana.

Wait a minute--Does Blockbuster have an online rental plan now? If so, is their selection any better than in the stores?

With Netflix, you can just report it and they send you a new copy. However, if they see it happening too often, they're going to stop doing that.

I just signed up for BBs Friends and Family Plan ($17.99 a month for 3 DVDs out at a time). They have a very large selection I was searching for anime and found 300 titles which to me is a pretty good selection. They had every title I did a search for and from what I understand they plan on offering games the first quarter of '05. I guess I will see how it goes.

bread's done
Back