Online Retailer Trouble, any advice?

Lorik

CAGiversary!
Okay, I have heard amazing things about newegg.com's customer support. ALl the good feedback led me to believe ordering all my new CPU parts from them was a good choice. It was a great choice until tonight. I don't want to hate newegg, they've been nice (if nothing else) so far. This is my situation:

I am a poor college student, and I put aside money to build a new computer. I finally saved up just enough to pull this off. I bought a new motherboard, RAM, case, heatsink, and a refurbished processor. When I ordered the processor, I read the warnings about the possibility of accessories being missing. I knew I could handle any problems with missing accessories, so I ordered it.

My problem arose when I recieved the parts and installed everything. I reformatted my hard drive (and I had no way to backup anything) and I was thrilled. Then noticed something on my BIOS screen, the Athlon XP 2700+ that I ordered was actually an Athlon XP 2100+. That is quite a difference.

The worst part about it was that the packaging that the processor came in was the packaging for a Athlon XP 2700+. The wrong processor was in the package.

I called newegg that night and spoke with someone about how to resolve this. They had no more of this item in stock, so a straight up replacement was out. He offered me a refund, which I would not recieve until 5-7 days after the 2100+ was back in their hands. I asked him if they could issue a refund, or credit now so that I may order a new processor and have it in my hands ASAP, he said he would go ahead and put that through because of the circumstances. I was happy.

Well I called back today to check the status of the refund, and was informed that there would be no refund until they recieved the item. I explained that I was led to believe the refund had been issued and was informed that no refund could be issued.

Basically I was told that they sent me the wrong part, and that I am now stuck for 2-3 weeks without a working computer because of it. Normally I would just send it back and order a new processor now, but I need that refund money in order to buy the new one!

I have the name of the customer support lead, and will be calling tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else had advice on what to do, I kinda need my computer, being a Computer Science major and in the middle of classes. Thanks.

Suck it up and just send the thing in, you would be out of a computer for about a week and a half, turn around on replacment parts is pretty fast with them. As Rig said you could use a library computer or maybe if your school has a computer lab you could use that in the meantime.

Send the part back.. wait for the refund.. in the meantime use the computer lab. The ball is kinda in their court so they're going to decide how it's done pretty much.

bread's done
Back