OnLive deal..I guess?

Pck21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
I signed up to participate in the OnLive beta when it was first announced some years ago. A buddy of mine got an invite but I never did. Last night I received an email from the OnLive team informing me that since I signed up, I was eligible to receive a special promotion offer for the service: 12 months of the OnLive service plus a game of my choice for free. Needless to say I accepted so now I will be able to play the OnLive service when it launches June 17th, 2010 for a whole year free instead of paying the $14.95/month charge. I thought it was something to brag about!

Did anyone else get this invite as well?

This thing will fail. The whole idea of streaming a game off some server a few states away is just bad. The delay will be horrendous. Also, the image quality is trash compared to an actual PC game. A website awhile back compared Burnout running on the OnLive service to a copy of the game just running on a PC. The one from OnLive looked like a PS2 version of the game (no AA, muddy textures, ridiculous draw-in, etc...) while the one running on a PC looked fantastic.

I'll stick with my PC rather than pay for this crap.

[quote name='SEH']This thing will fail. The whole idea of streaming a game off some server a few states away is just bad. The delay will be horrendous. Also, the image quality is trash compared to an actual PC game. A website awhile back compared Burnout running on the OnLive service to a copy of the game just running on a PC. The one from OnLive looked like a PS2 version of the game (no AA, muddy textures, ridiculous draw-in, etc...) while the one running on a PC looked fantastic.

I'll stick with my PC rather than pay for this crap.[/QUOTE]

Well I didn't post to start a discussion or argument for or against OnLive. I thought it was cool that I will be getting the service for free for a whole year, and if I don't like it, I can cancel. Seems like a pretty cheap way to play games lol!

Eh, I'd wait on celebrating until you find out what the games on OnLive are going to cost. In addition, you have to remember any games you buy through them will probably be rendered unavailable should you ever decide to cancel their service.

I thought it was a cool concept at first, but then they said "Heeey, by the way, you pay a monthly fee PLUS you pay for each game that you want to play."

That's just ballsy.

Today i received an email that i was enrolled in a year free service plus a free game. I'm gonna give it a shot but i'm not expecting much.

[quote name='Malik112099']WAIT! You pay yearly plus per game!?!??!? WTF!?[/QUOTE]

Yes, this is what turns me off from this service. I have no problems paying a monthly or yearly fee for a gaming service, I belonged to Gametap for two years. But to pay a fee and then pay for the games to play on it, just sounds like a rip-off. Especially since those games can't be taken with you if you quit the service (or more likely, if the service closes up).

But for a free year trial, hell go for it. You've got nothing to lose. And the naysayers like me, might be wrong.

Yeah you pay for the games as well as the monthly service, however I hear they are looking to "lease" the service of to isp's, which could eliminate that fee and if so would be good. The service right now reminds me of dsl with its restrictions and all.

Of course it's a deal! It's free, what do you have to lose?

Once you've spent some time with the service, report back here and share your thoughts on it if you can.

Fml, I got half way through registration the other day and didn't feel like getting my wallet out of my backpack so figured I would enter the info later and now I just realized that its the 3rd and it tells me my invitation code was already used,lol. Procrastination ftw, but I guess I'm probably not missing out on much.

Edit:nvrmind, I guess I got far enough for it to create a login, I is stupid.

Yep I was in the beta and I did play OnLive for a while. I really don't know if I can say anything about it because of the ToS even though it should be available to the public. I'll find out and then give my impressions if I can.

Also, just FYI, the first year is free to founding members and an optional second year is $4.95/ month according to the website. So, it costs about the same as XBL and games are available to play anytime and anywhere.

I played for a bit the other day, seems to be good in RFG, seemed like constant 30 fps. Only times I had temporary drops or jumps in fps were when I enter an area that requires a big jump either way in the amount of power it needs, ex. Going from a crashing building to walking around after or jumping to a area with a lot of people, but it goes back to 30 fps pretty quickly. Resolution seems good enough, not HD, but I was also using a crappy CRT monitor, so I'll have to see how it does on my laptop w/HDMI out. I have a 50gb/month bandwidth cap though, so the 2.5gb its eating up per hour kills it for me though since I hit around 40gb/month without it.

bread's done
Back