OnLive Sale - 10/29/10-10/31/10

apathylad

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
Just saw this on twitter. Deals expire on Sunday 11:00pm PDT. Full site is here.

All deals are for the Full PlayPass. Also keep in mind that there are no longer subscription fees.

AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - $6.99

Batman: Arkham Asylum - $27.99

Borderlands - $9.99

Brain Challenge - $2.49

Darksiders - $19.99

Defense Grid Gold - $6.99

Doc Clock: The Toasted Sandwich of Time - $8.99

F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin - $13.99

Just Cause 2 - $34.99

LEGO Batman - $13.99

Mafia II - $24.99

Major League Baseball 2K10 - $14.99

NBA 2K10 - $9.99

Puzzle Chronicles - $4.99

Red Faction: Guerrilla - $9.99

Saw - $19.99

Shatter - $2.25

The Maw - $2.50

Trine - $6.60

Unreal Tournament III: Titan Pack - $9.99

World of Goo - $5.00

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks OP! Just might pick up Borderlands for $10.

Question: Does anyone know if you can purchase the DLC expansions afterwards? I know they have a GOTY edition, but just wondering if the option to get the packs is available later on.

I want to like this service but if (and when) they go under the games are gone. I also never received my free game code from being a charter member. Maybe $7 for DG and $10 borderlands might be worth a shot.

I got the free year when it was still pay to play + a free game (got borderlands)

It works well for the most part, the game looks good, but there is a small amount of input lag the last time I played, which was a couple months ago.

That said, as for the guy asking about DLC for Borderlands, they'll be selling it in November, I got an email about it earlier this month.

[quote name='Strigol']
That said, as for the guy asking about DLC for Borderlands, they'll be selling it in November, I got an email about it earlier this month.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. :D

[quote name='M_F_A_H']What's with the hate for this service? I tried it a few times and it seems perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I guess people won't accept it unless it's one of the big three or Steam. It's worked fine for me.. though wifi is still in Beta I think. I'm really looking forward to the gamepad or whatnot you use with your TV.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Thanks for the heads up. :D

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I guess people won't accept it unless it's one of the big three or Steam. It's worked fine for me.. though wifi is still in Beta I think. I'm really looking forward to the gamepad or whatnot you use with your TV.[/QUOTE]

People are just not willing to throw money into a new service where if the service goes down, all of your games go with it. I understand the appeal of the service to someone with a non-gaming computer, but why purchase from this service when you have a gaming computer?

If your internet is down, you can't play games. If the service dies, so does your games. Their sales are weak at best, so why purchase a game from them when you can purchase it from someone else for cheaper and actually own your games. Why deal with input lag? Why settle for blurry graphics?

The service itself doesn't work too bad IMO, it just isn't appealing for someone who wants to own his/her games.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']People are just not willing to throw money into a new service where if the service goes down, all of your games go with it. I understand the appeal of the service to someone with a non-gaming computer, but why purchase from this service when you have a gaming computer?

If your internet is down, you can't play games. If the service dies, so does your games. Their sales are weak at best, so why purchase a game from them when you can purchase it from someone else for cheaper and actually own your games. Why deal with input lag? Why settle for blurry graphics?

The service itself doesn't work too bad IMO, it just isn't appealing for someone who wants to own his/her games.[/QUOTE]

correct, and I still think this is the future of gaming...not now, nor tomorrow, nor next year, nor it might be this company, but this is the future..

[quote name='M_F_A_H']What's with the hate for this service? I tried it a few times and it seems perfectly fine.[/QUOTE]

Laggy control, no offline play, lots of bandwidth, poor video quality.

[quote name='Jigen']Laggy control, no offline play, lots of bandwidth, poor video quality.[/QUOTE]I've only played a few demos and, no, games don't look as impressive as playing on your own hardware but they look respectable to my eyes.

In addition, I personally haven't noticed a difference in control responsiveness.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']
Their sales are weak at best, so why purchase a game from them when you can purchase it from someone else for cheaper and actually own your games. Why deal with input lag? Why settle for blurry graphics?
[/QUOTE]

Er, point me in the direction to get Borderlands for less than $10 and I'll gladly reconsider. To your later point, I'm on FiOS and haven't experienced any problems. I agree with your other opinions about the uncertainty of the service.. I think that's totally legit. I also think the same can be said about XBLA/PSN/WiiWare.. how do we know games will transfer over to the next generation of consoles? Obviously it's a different scenario since you at least 'have' them, but it's something to consider as gaming continues to move towards everything digital.

Haven't tried it myself, but I think this would be great for laptop users, I know those Intel cards can barely do solitaire.

[quote name='thisboywillbreak']Er, point me in the direction to get Borderlands for less than $10 and I'll gladly reconsider. To your later point, I'm on FiOS and haven't experienced any problems. I agree with your other opinions about the uncertainty of the service.. I think that's totally legit. I also think the same can be said about XBLA/PSN/WiiWare.. how do we know games will transfer over to the next generation of consoles? Obviously it's a different scenario since you at least 'have' them, but it's something to consider as gaming continues to move towards everything digital.[/QUOTE]

Borderlands has been $10 on steam twice in the past 3 months (ok sorry 10.19...).

And also don't all games expire eventually on OnLive? I don't mean if the service goes down, but I am quite sure they will go away after a certain period of time (like 3 years) no matter what. Of course that is if they haven't changed anything since I last looked at it (which was still when they had a subscription).

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']The service itself doesn't work too bad IMO, it just isn't appealing for someone who wants to own his/her games.[/QUOTE]How much longer will the consumer have the choice of owning a physical copy of their game? It's only a matter of time until Sony, MS, and Nintendo take the same approach that OnLive has now. Digital distribution just seem like a gateway drug to switching consumers over to a cloud-based platform for games. It's really concerning that games appear to be headed in that direction.

[quote name='Kaltic']And also don't all games expire eventually on OnLive?[/QUOTE]

I don't believe so, but to your point, I personally believe the main drawback is having to pay a subscription fee on top of the game price. If they could do away with that, then I think the service would be much more appealing.

[quote name='hordak']I don't believe so, but to your point, I personally believe the main drawback is having to pay a subscription fee on top of the game price. If they could do away with that, then I think the service would be much more appealing.[/QUOTE]

They did do away with that. It's now free to sign up.

I tried it a couple days ago, and it's pretty cool, but both the lag and compression of the video is pretty obvious. Neat idea, but I don't think it's executed very well at this point.

bread's done
Back