Ontario Game Shop Suggestions?

ilpalazzo150

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Ahoy there!
I'm going to be off to the Falls next week, and the Mrs. and I love to explore new places. However, what I'm interested in are some decent independent game shops. Are there any places in the Ontario province that you guys and gals can recommend? I'm mostly looking for retro stuff (NES on up), but any place that can be recommended would be appreciated. Thanks!

I usually go to Entertainment Overload. They're okay. Their website says they're only in St. Catherines, Welland, and Hamilton though.

I was in Kingston yesterday and they have Chumsley's. AWESOME PLACE. They also have locations in Belleville and Peterborough.
Kingston also had 4 colour 8 bit, much smaller selection, but good prices and super cool place to hang out it seems.

I was JUST thinking we should do a comprehensive registry of Independant Canadian Game Stores.
I can do PHP/MySQL! I've been doing web programming for 10 years. We could do checkboxes for the consoles they have in stock, and comments section, etc.

[quote name='Shazyzang']I usually go to Entertainment Overload. They're okay. Their website says they're only in St. Catherines, Welland, and Hamilton though.[/QUOTE]

I second Entertainment Overload.

Just take the 406 into St Catharines and get off at the Penn. It's not that far out of the way from the falls. Definitely worth the drive.

There's also Mixed Styles on St. Paul Street in St. Catharines which has retro stuff, but the prices aren't perfect.

(If you go to Mixed Styles, you should walk down another three stores and go to my store, Rock Universe :p)

Yeah I've shopped at Chumleighs in Kingston before, they have 2 locations there I think. I got MGS3 Subsistence there last year sealed for $10, I thought that was a pretty great score.

Another post for Entertainment Overload. I met the owner the last time I was back east (I'm from the Falls), and they've got good stuff at decent prices. 2 locations in St. Catherines (1 across from Pen Center, 1 downtown), plus Welland and I hear Hamilton is open now. Also found a few good things at the flea market there.

As for a Canadian registry on indie stores, there is already "The Giant Retro Videogame Store Map". http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=117176970323808981783.00044aafb9c7cea768d23

If you're ever in downtown Toronto, take a look at A&C Games. It's on Spadina and Harbord. They have a ton of old stuff.

Yesterday's Heros at bloor and bathurst, toronto, is having a closing sale, which includes their decent number cache of retro games.

In Burlington, there's a place called Green Imp Games.

The prices are all great, regardless of era but the stock isn't as amazing as it could be. The guy is a rad too though and really loves games. Check him out if you're in the area.

(Picked up all three Donkey Kong Countries for $20 a piece of memory serves as well as a brand new Blue Dragon for $5. The latter wasn't worth it, but...)

[quote name='SamuraiSmurfette']Ontario is a VERY large place...[/QUOTE]

He mentioned Niagara Falls, I assumed he would be asking about Southern Ontario, Niagara, St Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington...

[quote name='GameDeals.ca']As for a Canadian registry on indie stores, there is already "The Giant Retro Videogame Store Map". http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=U...d=117176970323808981783.00044aafb9c7cea768d23[/QUOTE]

Hmm, I guess this is sort of what I had in mind, except encapsulated in website form with a .com domain and better user interface tools. Also this list is severely lacking in the Canadian department, but I can't really blame anyone for this.

This has put a bit of a damper on my excitement for starting a new project, but maybe I could get people to move over from this google map to my website if I offer the right features.

Would be an interesting project for sure, Jeffx.

4-Colour, 8-bit is indeed an awesome spot, very cool store.

Kingston has three Chumleighs now. Downtown at 103 Princess Street, in front of the Cataraqui Town Center at 2559 Princess Street and on your way out the Division Street exit at 1201 Division Street.

if youre willing to travel, milton ontario has an amazing retro games store. walls literally filled with games from commadors, atari, nes, sega. box sealed atari's, snes', etc... very good deals on bundles as well and a friendly owner. name is toyratt

In Newmarket Ontario (about 30min North of Toronto) there is a store at Bayview and Mulock called Microplay. They have used games from every platform and all used games are buy 1 get the second half price. They are usually much cheaper than EB Games as well.

[quote name='FarmhouseMedia']In Newmarket Ontario (about 30min North of Toronto) there is a store at Bayview and Mulock called Microplay. They have used games from every platform and all used games are buy 1 get the second half price. They are usually much cheaper than EB Games as well.[/QUOTE]

Microplay still exists? Are there any in Toronto? thx

[quote name='twinducks']if youre willing to travel, milton ontario has an amazing retro games store. walls literally filled with games from commadors, atari, nes, sega. box sealed atari's, snes', etc... very good deals on bundles as well and a friendly owner. name is toyratt[/QUOTE]

I can vouch for Toyratt. Cool place, lots of games. A touch expensive, but no where near the gouging as other retro stores. He used to be in Brampton...alot more convenient for me lolz

A great place in Waterloo is the St. Jacob's market. I forget the guys name, but he has tons of Retro games at very good prices. I got Streets of Rage 2 from him for $8!

[quote name='feelgoodinc']He mentioned Niagara Falls, I assumed he would be asking about Southern Ontario, Niagara, St Catharines, Hamilton, Burlington...[/QUOTE]
Which is why I find all the suggestions for Kingston funny.
Not exactly a 20mins drive...

[quote name='IceBlueShoes']Which is why I find all the suggestions for Kingston funny.
Not exactly a 20mins drive...[/QUOTE]

Read the OP again:

Are there any places in the Ontario province that you guys and gals can recommend?

Not so funny anymore, right?

Also you meant to say "there's", not "theirs". PS: Microplay stores are all over Canada.

Finally, double-posting is BAD.

[quote name='jeffx']Read the OP again:

Not so funny anymore, right?

Also you meant to say "there's", not "theirs". PS: Microplay stores are all over Canada.

Finally, double-posting is BAD.[/QUOTE]
But the OP is in the Niagara region.
Not sure if he knows Ontario is huge. Which is why I said Niagara Falls isn't a 20min drive to Kingston.

And yes Microplays are all over the country... well more like slightly scattered about...

ANYWAYS...

Anyone know of any place in or near Scarborough? I know of A&C in downtown toronto, but I dislike going all the way there just to browse and not buy anything.

[quote name='mrsamsa']http://www.1upgames.ca/

1 up games in Hamilton is pretty good, depending on if you end up in Hamilton.[/QUOTE]

They can be ridiculously expensive though.

If you are in Hamilton though I suggest New2You Buy and Sell granted I'm shilling for the place I work at we do have alot of classic gaming stock moving in and out all the time, and out prices are fair to boot

There's a Buy and Sell in Burlington too, where at times, new games are horribly underpriced. But not really a destination.

the downtown kingston chumleighs will be closing when their lease is up

Never looked at the cartridge games, never seen anything remotely interesting with the limited selection of present gen stuff.

Beyond me how they stay in business, they are whining the rents downtown are so high that store isnt making money now

But op wont be driving niagara falls to kingston to go to chumleighs

Hey everyone,
Thanks a lot for the suggestions! As a lot of you seemed to have guessed, yeah, we really didn't leave the Niagara region after all. I decided to check out Entertainment Overload in St. Catherines, and wasn't disappointed; managed to snag an N64 w/ expansion pak, Majora's Mask, a long-box version of Resident Evil for PSX, and Zelda: Oracle of the Seasons for under $100 altogether. I also got a brand new copy of Yakuza 2 for PS2 for about $20 at the HMV in Pen Centre, which was a nice surprise.

Overall, we had an awesome time enjoying Niagara again, and I got a nice little haul. Thanks again, everyone!

bread's done
Back