(OOS) $20 XBL 12 mo UPDATE: YMMV with in-store price-match

GamerKingFaiz

CAGiversary!
Feedback
19 (100%)
Last edited by a moderator:
The best buy that did it for me was at Arundel Mills, MD. They are the most easy going about everything and the cashiers could moonlight as cheerleaders (very easy on the eyes).

i tried the pm at the monroeville, pa store, and i was able to pick up two cards. even though it was not terribly busy (3pm) they did not check. I tried to go through the checkout lines, but they sent me to cs. I thought i was goner, but they did not check the website. this deal is definitely worth the try. if you get shot down, you get shot down. who really cares.

You know it's strange that ever since I hit Silver status, I get a lot better treatment with no hassles. As soon as my card is pulled out or it shows Silver member on the screen, they go out of their way to get your business. Anyways got 2 cards the other day with the SH movie passes.

I, personally, do not engage in the PM much, especially at BB. Every time I've PMed something at BB, they made me feel like some kind of criminal. Hence I rarely shop at BB anymore. Nowadays, usually Target or Amazon get my money.

[quote name='Mike Toole']Hoarding and flipping seems to be part and parcel of CAG culture. But keep in mind that if you keep going back to the well on a deal like this, you may be making it harder to get a pricematch at Best Buy the next time a great deal comes over the horizon. If every one of us gets one or two cards, I don't see the harm, but if you have people going out in droves and getting 15-20 cards pricematched, it wouldn't surprise me if we saw "NO PRICEMATCHES ON POINTS/SUBSCRIPTION CARDS" added to the policy.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='leftwing1018']I wouldn't say it is looked down upon by CAGs, it is open to everyone to get them. Chances are other CAGs arent going to every BB in their area and buying out the entire stock of cards there. And even then they will restock often. So other CAGs arent missing out if their BB price matches.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Thorgouge'] couldn't you technically try to do this forever? Every so often just pop in and try it; the printout has no date and if they call and Sears says no or if you're declined just try again with someone else or a different store later. Seems to me there's no reason not to do this every time you stop in BB. Plus for every 5 you resell on eBay for $40 or more you make a minimum $100 for free.[/QUOTE]

He's definitely implying of flipping more than a handful of cards.

[quote name='reddjoey']In case you don't know, cashiers and managers remember you. Every time you PM or ask a question that makes them go out of their way you increase your chances of being remembered.

I was a manager of a retail store, and even with foot traffic in the thousands, I could tell the" regulars". I PM'd things for repeat business, but I wasn't above checking up on prices when business was slowing down or to see if they were lying.

What you might not know is that store manager will check up his cashier and why the inventory isn't generating the right revenue. Also he has a district manager that will look at all the PM's and dock his bonus (or pay, or some other form of discipline) if he feels he is harming the bottom line. Then loss prevention gets involved. I'm sure it wouldn't take loss prevention long to pull the "tape" from the time of purchase on the receipts and work from there. A bit extreme, but I've seen "retail wanted posters" before

You are going unnoticed because the holiday traffic is high and honestly at this point you are almost stealing. It's cool to get a PM a couple days after a sale, but to take a printout that you know is no longer accurate and try and get them to match it, why not fire up photoshop and make your own sales papers[/QUOTE]

I can also concur being a former retail manager. I had a small volume store, $30 - $35K a week, but we knew all the problem people as soon as they walked in. Once one came in, they all came in within an hour. We used to pull merchandise from the shelves and deny them the items and save them for customers that actually needed them. When people come in and pick up 6 glucose monitors because they are free, you have to question a bit what they are doing with them.

Doing this on games and pts cards isn't harming anyone, but I always felt bad when someone came in and needed some health item at my store and I couldn't give it to them because some hoarder bought all 10 I had in stock for the week. Other managers of stores like BB might feel the same about product walking out of their store as well, though.

And it is stealing after any reasonable amount of time. Oddly enough, I find it more of a game when we are just price matching as a "sale" is going on, or using a coupon that may or may not of been used as intended, as long as I am acting within the limits of what the company allows, whether intentionally allowed or not. Even that is borderline dishonest, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.

Tried in Chesapeake Va yesterday afternoon, quite busy, tried for 3, cashier punched it in and i was like ok. Then she said she needed to check with the manager. He said no because it is a subscription, i added they had PM'd my friend earlier in the day, he said that was another manager. So i said i am off to sears with my business.....

[quote name='Fugee']I, personally, do not engage in the PM much, especially at BB. Every time I've PMed something at BB, they made me feel like some kind of criminal. Hence I rarely shop at BB anymore. Nowadays, usually Target or Amazon get my money.[/QUOTE]

Haha—I just had a BB employee eye my store pickup suspiciously and ask if I was picking up two items because I used $15 RZ credit on the Metroid Prime Trilogy when it was $19.99 and was getting this game that retails at $49.99 elsewhere for $4.99. The pickup info she had only indicated I paid $4.99 and not for what item.

So, for better or worse, they actually think about what's going on there and get suspicious sometimes.

As for that photoshop comment, I kind of felt the same way. I thought about bringing it in to Wal-Mart or something but ended up not, partially because it felt sketchy to abuse a mistake. Almost feels like Sears made the mistake on purpose—then almost immediately put them out of stock with errors if store pickup was attempted—so it could bomb its PMing competitors.

[quote name='Samurai_X-51']Almost feels like Sears made the mistake on purpose—then almost immediately put them out of stock with errors if store pickup was attempted—so it could bomb its PMing competitors.[/QUOTE]
Haha, sneaky Sears.

I went to my Best Buy the other day to try this with no luck. This Best Buy seems to suck when it comes to Price Matching and never wants to do it. First, they gave me the excuse that they don't match websites. I tell them I know "a friend" that was able to do this deal at "his" Best Buy (you're all my friends!). Eventually the debate leads to the manager asking me what Sears would do and I tell him that they would match the price of their website. So then he says he could call the Sears and see if they have them in stock because they only price match if they're in stock elsewhere (TOTAL BS since I KNOW they wouldn't give a damn if it was in an official AD leaflet). At this point, I was just annoyed and sick of the whole ordeal with them (took the dude 3 aisle over 20 minutes to walk over to us!) I just told the guy "Well if Sears has it, then I'll just buy it there" and left. Of course, Sears had none. I'm going to try another, BETTER Best Buy today.

So that's my frustrating tale. YMMV is no joke here.

EDIT: Aw YEAH! Went to the better Best Buy and there was absolutely NO hassle. The nice lady said "okay!" and rang it up $20! I also decided to get 1 instead of 2 to avoid a possible shitstorm since losing $20 is probably not as alarming to them as losing $40.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='reininop']

And it is stealing after any reasonable amount of time. Oddly enough, I find it more of a game when we are just price matching as a "sale" is going on, or using a coupon that may or may not of been used as intended, as long as I am acting within the limits of what the company allows, whether intentionally allowed or not. Even that is borderline dishonest, but the line has to be drawn somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. It's a giant gray area, but this thread should be closed as it has boiled down to "can I get BB to PM a dead deal" and not a gray area of a coupon making a sale extra sweet etc. This thread is not what CAG is about and gives new CAGs the impression it's ok and gives them the tools to do it with.

Well not happening at Manassas, VA location. While waiting, this one dude brought it a trash bag with blu rays, dvd's and tv show box sets. Movies I saw on BR were Stealth, Xmen, Jumper... tv shows I saw where King of the hill, glimor girls, LOST and a few others. He said he got them as gifts (who gives a guy gilmore girls season sets???). Then he changed his story that him and his wife bought them. uhh big time return fraud right there. I am surprised LP didn't stop them at the door with a bag that big with no receipt. That was really stupid of him to try. Dunno if he got anything out of it. btw CSR Bri-ane (sp?) is really cute, but her hair today was holy shit bad! :O

I'm an awe of anyone that was able to get their Best Buy to PM this. My Best Buy must be too well trained, any time I've asked about a PM in the past, they want to check if it's in stock locally. And since our Sears got rid of their video game section years ago...

I couldn't even get them to PM their own website one time, because the deal said it was online only, and was sold out online.

Was rejected at the Greensburg, PA store....

Not for the reason you'd think. The printout said "ImageShack" at the bottom... thought it was faked.

[quote name='DasBaldDog']Was rejected at the Greensburg, PA store....

Not for the reason you'd think. The printout said "ImageShack" at the bottom... thought it was faked.[/QUOTE]

Use a different printout? Problem solved. :applause:

Not for the reason you'd think. The printout said "ImageShack" at the bottom... thought it was faked.[/QUOTE]

for those of you trying to cut these off or leaving them on there, print preview is your friend. you can edit all that stuff in settings so all you have is a date if you are so inclined.

Yeah someone had the same problem. Hah, if I ever try this I think I'll just cut the bottom part off... >_

Confirmed PM success at BB Store #291 in Houston. Although the cashier called a mngr over to confirm, the system already had the PM'd price in it, so there was no hassle.

[quote name='Cheapskate']Say what? It actually rang up for $20 on its own?[/QUOTE]

No joke. She went into the markdown menu and it was already showing the PM'd price.

I am striking out everywhere. I called my local Sears and they had 2 in-stock BUT, they will not price-match from the mistake made on their website.

The first BB I went called Sears and said it wasn't on sale anymore. Doh!

The second BB I went to with the printout, the CS guy called a manager over to confirm the pm, they tried to find it on Sears' website but could not (thanks Sears' site!), so the manager just said to do the pm. Got two Sherlock tickets too, woo!

Is there a way I can use my receipt to PM it? I bought it at a different BB (much farther away from me) because my local one wouldn't do it, but now my friend asked me to get him one. I figure that it might be easier to do it because I have a receipt from the other BB... Should I show them the ad and then the receipt or can I just pricematch the receipt?

Hey guys what's the site you can redeem the Sherlock Holmes codes on? I just did a trade with someone, and they just gave me codes:

SHERLOCK HOLMES CODE: *****-*******
AVATAR THING CODE (LOL SORRY DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS) : *********

I was wondering where I'd redeem these.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Hey guys what's the site you can redeem the Sherlock Holmes codes on? I just did a trade with someone, and they just gave me codes:

I was wondering where I'd redeem these.[/QUOTE]

That's the movie ticket code

printed out the image in the first post and managed to pick up 2 cards for 19.99 a piece without charging me tax so 39.98 total for 2 12month cards did it today too didn't ask me about date or anything thinking about trying again tomorrow this was Wolfchase area, Memphis TN.

Successfully PM'd at BB. Got two cards, but they didn't have any movie tickets :(.

Manager was also going to PM the Toys R Us deal, but they didn't have MW2...so, I decided to try again on the weekend (they said they are getting another MW2 batch; gonna pick up AC2 and MW2).

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Hey guys what's the site you can redeem the Sherlock Holmes codes on? I just did a trade with someone, and they just gave me codes:

I was wondering where I'd redeem these.[/QUOTE]
Go to activaterewards.com/sherlock

Ok. Thank you. What about the Avatar code? I don't think the person gave it to me correctly. I'm guessing for that it's just supposed to be a 25-digit XBL code, no? I only received 9 digits, as shown in my previous post. Or is there a place to redeem this as well?

What exactly are you guys/gals saying to the cashier when you checkout? Do you let them ring the item up and then whip out the page for price match? Or, do you just tell them off the bat?

I had success in CT, all I said was I have a price match, they saw it was from sears and they did it on the spot@@@ woot!!!

[quote name='stack9902']I had success in CT, all I said was I have a price match, they saw it was from sears and they did it on the spot@@@ woot!!![/QUOTE]

Where in CT exactly?

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Ok. Thank you. What about the Avatar code? I don't think the person gave it to me correctly. I'm guessing for that it's just supposed to be a 25-digit XBL code, no? I only received 9 digits, as shown in my previous post. Or is there a place to redeem this as well?[/QUOTE]
He must have given it to you wrong. It's a 25 digit code. You enter it the same way you would a xbl subscription card.

[quote name='GamerKingFaiz']Ok. Thank you. What about the Avatar code? I don't think the person gave it to me correctly. I'm guessing for that it's just supposed to be a 25-digit XBL code, no? I only received 9 digits, as shown in my previous post. Or is there a place to redeem this as well?[/QUOTE]

Some codes are nine digits. You put them in the same way. The Saboteur has a code inside the case for DLC and it was only 9 or 12 (I cant remember) digits and I put it in on the dashboard and it worked fine. Give it a try and see what happens.

Finally, I was able to PM at the BB in Wheaton, MD. I got 3.

Is there a way I can use my receipt to PM it?

Anyone know an answer to this question? I feel like going and buying some from the BB that wouldn't sell it to me. I wonder if Target/WalMart would price-match based on the BB receipt.

Gmerreighn,

Lol, I'm literally a few minutes from there. Just had dinner with the wife at Granite City. I don't own a 360 but I'm definitely telling my bro about this deal.

[quote name='gmerreighn']priced match no problem at 119th & Metcalf Best Buy in OVP,KS--kid even kept the ad so he could pick one up for himself[/QUOTE]

Ha, I just went by there- had dinner with the family at China Star up by MicroCenter.

PMed 2 successfully at a BB in the OC. She went to look it up on the computer but it was glitchy apparently so she just let me have it. Lol I think it's because the item is down from the sears website when they put it into their computer to look up the specific item on the sears website it messes up.

[quote name='CTHG']PMed 2 successfully at a BB in the OC. She went to look it up on the computer but it was glitchy apparently so she just let me have it. Lol I think it's because the item is down from the sears website when they put it into their computer to look up the specific item on the sears website it messes up.[/QUOTE]
So beautiful, right?

I got this to work two days ago... I brought it in on my iphone, so when the clerk looked at it it looked live & no one bothered to check. Ended up picking up two :)

bread's done
Back