Opera Browser (DS) Release Date - July 24th in Japan

That's great - Opera's a wonderful browser, and these guys know handhelds too.

Now, if only the DS actually had a working TCP/IP stack instead of a list of "supported" routers...

The only monthly fee is paying for your regular internet access. This is no different than buying Opera for a computer, except that it's for the DS.

I'm not a big fan of the online only idea, this seems like something that is more mainstream accessible than Electroplankton and should be in stores.

33 dollars US for a browser on a tiny screen... no thanks. I actually really dislike this product. i really feel like nintendo is half assing it with this one. where is my pda suite, with web, email, calander, contacts, etc. cmon, the DS was made for something like that.

[quote name='iheartmetal']33 dollars US for a browser on a tiny screen... no thanks. I actually really dislike this product. i really feel like nintendo is half assing it with this one. where is my pda suite, with web, email, calander, contacts, etc. cmon, the DS was made for something like that.[/QUOTE]
And here I thought it was a portable game system. D'oh!

[quote name='eldad9']That's great - Opera's a wonderful browser, and these guys know handhelds too.

Now, if only the DS actually had a working TCP/IP stack instead of a list of "supported" routers...[/quote]

Yes! I hope it works differently than how its setup now. I've been able to find tons of routers, but almost 95% of them all will not let me connect online. So it better be setup differently or I'm still going to question whether I really want it or not.

[quote name='botticus']And here I thought it was a portable game system. D'oh![/QUOTE]

I'm content with it just being a game system as well. I'd rather they focus on doing one thing right than doing a bunch of other things half-assed.

Well, it's not like Nintendo's having to put that much effort into it, Opera's developing it so it's not like it's effort that would have otherwise been put into games.

So, Opera for the computer is free now? I guess I hadn't used it in a long time, the last time I did the version with ads built in was free but the full version still required paying. How is the latest version of Opera?

[quote name='rlse9']Well, it's not like Nintendo's having to put that much effort into it, Opera's developing it so it's not like it's effort that would have otherwise been put into games.

So, Opera for the computer is free now? I guess I hadn't used it in a long time, the last time I did the version with ads built in was free but the full version still required paying. How is the latest version of Opera?[/QUOTE]

I really like Opera... better than Firefox. There's a lot of features in it that Firefox doesn't have. My favorite feature by far though is that when you close it, it will save all your links, so they'll all still be there when you run it again! Oh, and the Pandora widget is great!

Ugh, Opera....wish a Firefox version had been developed instead. Still, it's better than no browser at all so I won't complain too much. Question is, are they going to release updates to it as time goes on?

Really, is there any reason NOT to import this before it's released in the U.S. since it'll likely have an English setting? $33 bucks (before the added costs of importing something, anyway) isn't too bad at all.

I'm still not convinced that this is worth more than $20. If I'm near internet access, I'm near a computer to access it on. It'd be cool, but $35 seems a bit steep to me.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Ugh, Opera....wish a Firefox version had been developed instead. Still, it's better than no browser at all so I won't complain too much. Question is, are they going to release updates to it as time goes on?

Really, is there any reason NOT to import this before it's released in the U.S. since it'll likely have an English setting? $33 bucks (before the added costs of importing something, anyway) isn't too bad at all.[/QUOTE]

Ugh Opera?

Firefox, while an impressive achievement, is rather bloated (but not as bad as IE). Opera is amazing in its tiny rendering engine and memory management.

Firefox also doesnt have an actively funded group developing a portable friendly version so there isnt anyone to contract with to develop and maintain a DS port.

In fact Opera is probably the best browser out there when you factor in everything relevant save perhaps the Open Source or Free Software philosophy. But if you really were concerned about that on a large level, you wouldnt be buying a closed hardware system.

Viva la Opera! Wait, $33? F-That.

[quote name='rlse9']I'm still not convinced that this is worth more than $20. If I'm near internet access, I'm near a computer to access it on. It'd be cool, but $35 seems a bit steep to me.[/QUOTE]
Well, that may be technically true. Unless you make use of public hot spots. In that case you wouldn't need your laptop to use the internet.

Since my laptop absolutely sucks, I'll probably be taking the opportunity to import this. I wonder how battery-life on the DS will fair with constant online connection. I've never had the time to test it.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Ugh Opera?

Firefox, while an impressive achievement, is rather bloated (but not as bad as IE). Opera is amazing in its tiny rendering engine and memory management.

Firefox also doesnt have an actively funded group developing a portable friendly version so there isnt anyone to contract with to develop and maintain a DS port.

In fact Opera is probably the best browser out there when you factor in everything relevant save perhaps the Open Source or Free Software philosophy. But if you really were concerned about that on a large level, you wouldnt be buying a closed hardware system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all that information. It doesn't change the fact that I'd rather use something based on Firefox, since I can't fucking stand Opera's interface. Really - it's ok for me not to like it. When they did that free activation code thing several months ago (before it went free) I tried it for a few days and it bothered the hell out of me. So yes...."ugh, Opera." It's not like me WISHING for it is going to change anything (for reasons you listed above, among other things), so there's not much of a need for you to feel like you need to change my opinion on that overrated, annoying browser.

[quote name='iufoltzie']Ugh Opera?

In fact Opera is probably the best browser out there when you factor in everything relevant save perhaps the Open Source or Free Software philosophy. But if you really were concerned about that on a large level, you wouldnt be buying a closed hardware system.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all that information. It doesn't change the fact that I'd rather use something based on Firefox, since I can't fucking stand Opera's interface. Really - it's ok for me not to like it. When they did that free activation code thing several months ago (before it went free) I tried it for a few days and it bothered the hell out of me. So yes...."ugh, Opera." It's not like me WISHING for it is going to change anything (for reasons you listed above, among other things), so there's not much of a need for you to feel like you need to change my opinion on that overrated, annoying browser.

[quote name='KaneRobot']Thanks for all that information. It doesn't change the fact that I'd rather use something based on Firefox, since I can't fucking stand Opera's interface. Really - it's ok for me not to like it. When they did that free activation code thing several months ago (before it went free) I tried it for a few days and it bothered the hell out of me. So yes...."ugh, Opera." It's not like me WISHING for it is going to change anything (for reasons you listed above, among other things), so there's not much of a need for you to feel like you need to change my opinion on that overrated, annoying browser.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps not, but it should be pointed out that asking for a Firefox port is an exercise in futility. There just isnt anyone available to make the port and the rendering core isnt as good as Operas. Even if someone magically could redo the core rendering engine, its still going to end up looking something like portable Opera.

As for usability? To each his own. I find it amazing, and others may not like what they find, or dont like to change. I couldnt get my mom to like Opera, but she took to Firefox easily (thank god, less tech support). Variety is the spice of life.

bread's done
Back