Opinions on Katamari Damacy

Well, it seems only EB has it right now B&M...at least around here. I did find one store that had it, not pre-ordered, so i am now enjoying the fuck out of this game.

Royal Rainbow!

Stupid Gamestop is STILL processing my order. It's been stuck on "Usually ships in 24 hours" status since Tuesday and just today switched to processing. I preordered it like 2 months ago too. Stupid.

Stupid ass Fed-Ex they can't just drop the damn package off next to my door like UPS does, I guess I'll have to wait for their next delivery attempt tomorrow.

I got the last and only one at my EB today and I just checked Gamestop.com and they are already backordered. According to some of my friends at the store where I used to live, they delayed it or something. Not sure if he was right or not but regardless, considering I almost ordered from Gamestop's website, I'm glad I found it at EB B&M. ebgames.com has it in stock so I don't know what Gamestop's problem is. Weird.

Crap, well, Gamestop has already charged my card, so they better ship out my game soon, otherwise I'm gonna get pissed. I preorder months in advance for a reason you know.

Edit- right after I typed that, I checked the status of my order. It finally says shipped. Whew.

Unbelievable. This isn't an argument about whether to support quirky japanese titles or not, it's a question of do you want the chance to play a great game at a low price now or have to pay through the nose later on ebay? I got the asian import for $70 and don't regret it at all, and I've already got the US version and I'll most certainly play through it again to at least pick up all the extras that I missed the first time through.

This thread shouldn't be a demand to support Katamari Damashi, but a public service announcement telling all the other CAG's out there that this game is great and is in short supply, so short it seems that only specialty stores like EB and Gamestop got any copies and very few at that.

Buy this game. It's amazingly fun with a sadistic twist, has a soundtrack that sells for five dollars more and is worth that too, and it says to the publishers that they shouldn't fear quirkyness when there's a great game to back it up.

my gf and i are taking turns at playing it right now....its pretty damn addictive and fun as hell...but one huge gripe is that we're having trouble with the controls...can't really see where we're going very well....its hard to turn the direction of the camera....ah, i guess we'll figure it out or something, 'cause i didn't read anything about a bad camera in the reviews

yeah, the camera was a bit dissapointing...but i like how if it gets hidden they have a japanese symbol to show where it is.

This is getting more and more on crack as i play...

Since my EB preorder was 80 miles away, I broke down and went over to GameStop to pick up a coy (1 of 3). It's a fun, fun game. Can't find presents worth a damn and good lord at Recreating Ursa Major the way 'Dad' wants it...

i had a prob with the camera at first, but the remedy is simply pull back on the right stick and it turns it, i think its pretty intuitive, but to each his own i guess. great game, best 20$ ive spent in a long time!!

[quote name='schultzed']I put $20 in credit at EBGAMES that I didn't use one a trade-in for Pikmin 2 (got it at Target for $28 with raincheck).

Katamari is supposed to be in today but the EB employee doesn't know if it came in or not . . . #@*&$

I guess I can't have it today cause I need to get home . . . damn it!

I really hate EBGames . . . this is the only thing they do and they don't know for sure if my game came in or not??????????????????[/quote]

I did end up getting it yesterday despite the employeess . . . but my complaint against the jerkoff at my EB stands!

This is really a great $20 game . . . don't quibble much on this one. Get it for $15 at BB if you can . . . use trade in credits at GS or EB if you can. OR just pay the $20!!!

It is a simple and plain game on one level but as you are rolling around you can pick up some stuff (all your items are nicely documented!) but are too small to get other things. The addictiveness comes from wanting to get bigger and when you come back a few minutes later and suck up the family dog it is a great feeling . . . it will be a blast to later pick up whole buildings!

Definitely buy this game to send a message to Namco and other publishers that we will support quirky small and/or risky games. AND that we appreciate budget pricing!

Boyfriend and I are having a blast with this game. Most fun we've had with a game in a while now, this is definately becoming one of my favorite titles. :)

The King of All Cosmos is rather odd...
B

I beat my game in a couple of hours.

I wish it was a little bit longer. The multiplayer is something I have to try later on though.

[quote name='imori']Unbelievable. This isn't an argument about whether to support quirky japanese titles or not, it's a question of do you want the chance to play a great game at a low price now or have to pay through the nose later on ebay? I got the asian import for $70 and don't regret it at all, and I've already got the US version and I'll most certainly play through it again to at least pick up all the extras that I missed the first time through.

This thread shouldn't be a demand to support Katamari Damashi, but a public service announcement telling all the other CAG's out there that this game is great and is in short supply, so short it seems that only specialty stores like EB and Gamestop got any copies and very few at that.

Buy this game. It's amazingly fun with a sadistic twist, has a soundtrack that sells for five dollars more and is worth that too, and it says to the publishers that they shouldn't fear quirkyness when there's a great game to back it up.[/quote]

In such short supply my local Best Buy has five copies. If this was a micropublisher I might be more concerned but it's Namco. They should be able to keep trickling it out as long as demand holds up.

How much do trade in credit would I get for Wrestlemania XIII and kill.switch? 20 bucks? I really, really wanna get this game, but I have zero cash. I think I can pull at least 20 at Game Crazy, right?

holy crepe i got to get this. Unfortunately i spent the last of my money on DW:E on that Playstation Night of Madddddneeeeeeeeeeeeeesss

Donate some blood or sperm...either way, you'll need to reast your arm before playing this game.

Right now im just curious on how many different names they have for the stars.

After spending some more time with the game, all I've gotta say is Fantastic!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I haven't had this much fun with a game in a long time now. Everyone needs to go and track down a copy. This is starting to creep up to almost Pac-Man like level of sheer fun and simplicity in gaming to me. I just hope they come out with more games this original and fun.

I've been playing about an hour a day for a week and I completed the main tasks (got the credits). This is a very short game but so much fun. You build about 10 stars ending with the Moon (there are also constellation building tasks which can be goofy and fun . . . didn't finish all of those yet). The moon needs to be over 300 meters . . . picking up large buildings at the point and they give you 25 minutes. I failed on two tries, I was in the 200 range. Completed it with over 500 meters . . . the last few minutes of that was fantastic! . . . I was rolling stadiums and anything in sight. I'll likely complete the other tasks and put it in once in awhile.

short but still a GREAT PURCHASE!

This game is fucking incredible.

I got it friday and was not able to stop playing until I beat it on sunday.

One of the best games I've EVER played. Even now, after I've beaten it, I can't stop going back just trying to make the biggest Katamari I can.

And it seems to be pretty popular for such an obscure title, it sold out almost right away around here.

Buy it. NOW. You will NOT regret it.

I cracked and bought this game for $20 today. I even went to an EB Games, something I have not done in a very long time. There's one by my house, had 2 copies in and I grabbed one. As I was buying it, the guy who was working there was talking on the phone yelling at his friend saying "It's the best fucking game I've played in a long time, it's $20 left, and I'm selling one of the only copies we have in as we speak. Get your ass down here and buy it, you won't be sorry." Couldn't have been more true :D I've been rolling around my Katamari all day, instead of doing things like making money, completing school work, or cleaning my house.

[quote name='Zingela']The King of All Cosmos is rather odd...
B

ROYAL RAINBOW!

im going to make that noise my windows opening sound...too funny. It sounds like Dr. Evil (or goldmember...i cant remember) seeing the Moles mole for the first time

NA NA NANANANANANA NA NA NA NA NA NANA NA..........GOD PLEASE!!!! I CAN'T GET THAT DAMN SONG OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!!

All kidding aside, I just got my copy in the mail today and have been playing it for the past 3 hours. I've only done 4 stars though cause I'm addicted to getting them BIGGER!!!!!

This is a great freaken game.....if you don't have it...GET IT!

Its like taking over the world one item at a time.

MU HA HA HA

Sometimes when I get big enough I forego sticking to stationary objects and go stright for the people, I live watching them squirm.

[quote name='Journey']NA NA NANANANANANA NA NA NA NA NA NANA NA..........GOD PLEASE!!!! I CAN'T GET THAT DAMN SONG OUTTA MY HEAD!!!!!!

All kidding aside, I just got my copy in the mail today and have been playing it for the past 3 hours. I've only done 4 stars though cause I'm addicted to getting them BIGGER!!!!!

This is a great freaken game.....if you don't have it...GET IT![/quote]

i katamari... therefore i smile.

Awesome awesome awesome. Although expect to answer a lot of "what the fuck is this?" when people see you playing it. Oh... and you WILL become addicted... NAAAA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NA NAAAA chuggachuggahchuggahchuggah....

What more can really be said? This game is great and at 20$ it's a bargain. It quite possibly might be the most fun you can have with 20$. My only complaints with the game, and they are slight, have to be the camera, controls, and length of the game. The camera can be very annoying at times, but it doesn't get in the way too often. Also the controls have a very high learning curve IMO, I think I was about 3/4 of the way done before they felt natural. The sheer fun you have with this game and it's low price tag definately outweigh these negatives, so what are you waiting for? If you don't have this game, go get it!

I learned the controls kinda fast then. By the end of stage one for the first time, I had 97% of the controls down.

My complint is that I wish the vectors were round to maintain the ball concept.

An example of that is I think in the original Alone in the Dark. All of the constructs were made out of round balls. It gave everything an organixc look. I think this game would look even cooler if they used something like that. Everything is just so square!

Other than that, NA NA NANANA NA NA...

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']My complint is that I wish the vectors were round to maintain the ball concept.

An example of that is I think in the original Alone in the Dark. All of the constructs were made out of round balls. It gave everything an organixc look. I think this game would look even cooler if they used something like that. Everything is just so square!

Other than that, NA NA NANANA NA NA...[/quote]

i kinda think that is the point. even the "cutscene" characters are square. i agree it would look cooler if they weren't. However the squareness gives it a kind of charm so if they don't change it in the sequel (it better be released here...or else) i wouldn't complain.

[quote name='madmage'] However the squareness gives it a kind of charm so if they don't change it in the sequel (it better be released here...or else) i wouldn't complain.[/quote]

Indeed. I'm hoping they keep it that way.

[quote name='Parathod']At heart, I do agree with epobirs, but when a game is released at a discount price and it's actually better than the new $50 games, I don't mind splurging. Virtua Fighter 4:Evo, Space Channel 5: SP, and the upcoming Phantasy Star Trilogy Collection all fall under this category. Plus, you never know... games like these sometimes just dissapear into obscurity, I never even heard of it till a week or so ago. So, if I miss out on scoring this one for $5 at next year's circuit city sale, I don't think i'll be losing sleep over it.[/quote]

On the subject of disapearing... check this out, very interesting....

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/09/28/news_6109142.html

Not to mention it took me 2 weeks to find this game (all the game specialty stores did not have it, but odly Best Buy did >< ). Unfortunately i cant play it yet :cry: due to disc read errors for the second time. Looks like im going to have to send off my PS2 to sony once more.

I'm just chiming in to say I loved the game as soon as I started playing. Great music, unique gameplay, etc., etc. I absolutely love when you're big enough to roll over certain animals/people, the sound they make when they run away is just hilarious! I especially like the cats and the children. I get pissed when people run away and disappear into the walls. Get in my katamari, dammit!

:) Anyway, I love this game and I'm glad it was received so well!!

This game is the best $20 I have ever spent. it is THAT good. The music is just perfect, it has the greatest intro ever, the dialogue is hilarious, and the gameplay is fun as hell. If you own a PS2, you must get this game. It tied Rez for my favorite PS2 game ever.

Penny Arcade was right. For a while, everywhere I went, I looked around and figured out what objects I would roll up, and in what order. Luckily, that only had me for about 2 days, so I'm ok now.

I think the availability of this game is become more and more scarce. My wife was unable to find it at BB this weekend and the website has it backordered. I also checked EBGames.com and they didn't have it either. Luckily, Gamestop.com had it. I used their free shipping code and only had to pay the cover price. Glad I got in on this one. They are starting to go for $50 on Ebay. Damned leeches.

I played it at a friend's house the other day, and bought it like 10 minutes after i left his place.Yes, Katamari Damacy rocks ass... 'one of the BEST games i've ever played. 'Best soundtrack, too. And brilliant cover-graphics; just looking at it on my shelf makes me all happy.

This game is so cool, i've decided it's finally time to break down and buy a PS2. I've been holding out, since the Gamecube has been my main supplier of cute, unique, brightly-colored games. YES, this game's that good: i'm willing to buy new expensive hardware!!!

Who knew rolling could be so damn fun?? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Oh, and Zingela, you probably get this all the time, but your signature photo is the most awesome ever.

See ya,
-V

[quote name='sying']Its like taking over the world one item at a time.

MU HA HA HA

Sometimes when I get big enough I forego sticking to stationary objects and go stright for the people, I live watching them squirm.[/quote]

OMG

After hearing that description, I have decided that I MUST HAVE THIS GAME.

bread's done
Back