CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
Hooray for original games!

Official site: http://www.gamecity.ne.jp/wii/opoona/

Trailer: http://www.opoona.com/movie.htm

US Release: TBA
Japan Release: Summer 07

Not really sure what to make of this game yet, but its strangely controlled only by the nunchuk. It appears to be an RPG of sorts.

First, the setup. Opoona is not only the game's title, but the name of the main character, as well. Opoona, a descendant of the brave Cosmo Guards, is visiting the planet Landroll with his family, when he's separated from them and find his parents in the hospital for series injuries and both his brother and sister completely missing. What happened? In Opoona, it's your job to earn a license to travel to other colonies and find out. These licenses are different jobs -- rescuer, idol, detective -- and players pick and choose what they'd like to become.

Despite the somewhat serious sounding subject matter, Opoona's art style suggest the game is anything but. Shintaro Majima heads art direction on this project, while Sachiko Yukimura, who has worked with Yuji Hori several times on the Dragon Quest series, joins as planning director. Most exciting for RPG fanboys, however, is Hitoshi Sakimoto, the composer of Final Fantasy XII's excellent soundtrack, penning the music.

In a bit of a twist, Opoona is controlled without touching the Wiimote whatsoever. We only have a brief description of combat from Koei, but they claim movement and "Active Bombom Battle," which encompasses the game's combat scenarios, is controlled entirely by the nunchuck, allowing for one-handed play. Snapping the nunchuck fires projectiles at enemies, whose trajectory can be changed by moving the nunchuck.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3158009 via GoNintendo.

More screens and art:

http://www.jeux-france.com/news19580_koei-annonce-opoona-sur-wii.html

Presentation video (includes game footage):

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LPskEEmTm04

[quote name='RedvsBlue']How long before we get Opoona Tactics?[/QUOTE]

Nah, you're thinking Square. This is Koei. It's much more likely we get Opoona Xtreme Legends, then Opoona Empires, then the inevitable Opoona 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 if successful, all with Xtreme Legends and Empires versions, not to mention spinoffs using different series but the exact same gameplay, their sequels, and their Xtreme Legends and Empires versions...the Wii library will be growing fast at least.

[quote name='elprincipe']Nah, you're thinking Square. This is Koei. It's much more likely we get Opoona Xtreme Legends, then Opoona Empires, then the inevitable Opoona 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 if successful, all with Xtreme Legends and Empires versions, not to mention spinoffs using different series but the exact same gameplay, their sequels, and their Xtreme Legends and Empires versions...the Wii library will be growing fast at least.[/QUOTE]

938648b.jpg

;)

The graphics looks pretty good, and the control scheme is, at the very least, interesting. I'm going to keep an eye on it.

New trailer up. I like the art direction -- but I hope that its originality is reflected in the game. From what I can see, this looks a lot like your standard JRPG, just in cuter clothes.

Love the new trailer. It does look very JRPG (not a good thing for me), but I love the style and am intrigued by the nunchuck-only control scheme. I'll definitely keep it in my watchlist.

...you gotta be kidding me...this looks so bad...how can you make an rpg with little circular characters who all look the same and make the story at all interesting...

[quote name='Spades22']...you gotta be kidding me...this looks so bad...how can you make an rpg with little circular characters who all look the same and make the story at all interesting...[/quote]
Why would that be an obstacle to the game being interesting? That's like saying, "How can you make a game with a bunch of humans and have it be interesting? Humans all look the same!"

The Wii-Revolution naming fiasco has taught us that all the punani jokes the internet can assemble will most likely fail at effecting a name change for Opoona.

[quote name='dothog']The Wii-Revolution naming fiasco has taught us that all the punani jokes the internet can assemble will most likely fail at effecting a name change for Opoona.[/quote]

Hah, the very first thing I thought when I saw "Opoona" was, "That sounds dirty..."

Well I'm just saying it's hard to "feel" or get attached in some way to little circular characters that have the same body shape and look exactly the same from the back...humans do look different lol...

Kinda an interesting idea, but I will literally be shocked if this doesn't end up as the mediocre RPG flavor of the month when it comes out.

RPGamer has posted a preview of Opoona, which is due out in the US on March 25th: http://www.rpgamer.com/games/other/wii/opoona/opoonaprev.html

Opoona's presentation on a whole looks fantastic, but there are some special areas that really shine. Fans of Final Fantasy XII's epic score should take note of Opoona, as the little intergalactic hero's journey features music from none other than Hitoshi Sakimoto. Pair that with some of the best cell-shading to come from Level 5 since Dragon Quest VIII, and Opoona looks and sounds to be a perfect addition to many RPGamer's collections.

Even though Opoona didn't do so hot sales-wise in Japan, Koei has taken painstaking measures to ensure that Opoona makes a much bigger splash onto western shores through its extensive localization and quirky ad campaign. With many Wii owners being casual gamers, Koei has made sure that the game's simple style and controls will appeal to RPG newcomers, while also giving it enough challenge to keep the smaller "hardcore" gaming crowd playing until the end. With the relatively small pool of RPGs for the Wii growing by the month, Opoona looks to give RPGamers young and old a reason to set aside $50 for March 25th.

[quote name='Tybee']Am I the only one that thinks the title of this game sounds vaguely like a synonym for pussy?[/QUOTE]
They originally called it Punani until some sensitive sally took offense. Opoona and World of Goo (formerly titled Jizz!!) are the sexy must-haves for 2008. Too bad Nintendo dropped Project D.O.N.G. or we'd have a trifecta.

[quote name='Spades22']Well I'm just saying it's hard to "feel" or get attached in some way to little circular characters that have the same body shape and look exactly the same from the back...humans do look different lol...[/quote]

SHHHHHHHH!!! The Fisher-Price Little People can hear you!

[quote name='InuFaye']Rei will buy this.[/QUOTE]
Actually I have zero plans to buy this game. I'll stick to Koei's historical Asian battlefield simulators.

[quote name='theflicker']I just can't imagine how the game controls with only the nunchuk. Sounds sorta screwy to me.[/quote]
It sounds pretty great to me. I had almost forgotten about this game...

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Nintendo power said it was :/[/quote]
They lie because they like to shatter dreams. IGN says the 25th too.

And to settle the "how can you tell them apart" debate, you can totally tell them apart - one has a pointy hat.
opoona-20071130041651564_640w.jpg

[quote name='mephitical']They lie because they like to shatter dreams. IGN says the 25th too.

And to settle the "how can you tell them apart" debate, you can totally tell them apart - one has a pointy hat.
opoona-20071130041651564_640w.jpg
[/quote]

Lol.
I hear mixed review...so I don't know.
The screen shots shown in NP weren't bad at all..

[quote name='Veronica Mars']Is there any online play?[/quote]
The Japanese box art doesn't have a Wi-Fi symbol on it...
item_50829731lg.jpg

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Actually I have zero plans to buy this game. I'll stick to Koei's historical Asian battlefield simulators.[/QUOTE]

So you will stick to their shitty, Madden-esque games that they release every two months (hyperbole) over an original IP that actually takes a risk?

Makes a lot of sense to me.

And there is no online play, and it is single player. This is standard for an RPG.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Actually I have zero plans to buy this game. I'll stick to Koei's historical Asian battlefield simulators.[/quote]

LIES.

bread's done
Back